Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 12:17:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37674
  • Latest: SpaGuy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773436
  • Total Topics: 66364
  • Online Today: 322
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 269
Total: 269

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: scared  (Read 2490 times)

Offline prettylips

scared
« on: October 06, 2006, 12:25:08 pm »
hi guys it's good to know there's someone i can talk to. i need advice as to how to tell my boyfriend that i am positive i am really scared that i will lose him he is the only thing that's keeping me alive right now i have no one else please help me

Offline Just John

Re: scared
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 12:48:07 pm »
Hi Prettylips,

I don't think that I am in any sort of a position to advise you how to tell him, only you know your boyfriend. I do think though, that any relationship without honesty isn't any relationship at all and will probably not last for long anyhow, I also think that a boyfriend who is anything less than understanding and supportive isn't worth sharing your life with. I know it's going to be tough but if you try to hide it from him it'll come between you and cause a rift, I would expect him to freak at first, you would too if the roles were reversed; but hope for the best and if he really loves you you will both find a way to work through it.

I was in the same position as you three years ago, we had a rocky few months and even now it still causes friction from time to time but; we're still together.

Be strong for yourself and believe that whatever happens it'll be for the best.

John.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline Morton Salt

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 01:05:10 pm »
When i found out, i called my wife about 5 minutes later after the panic slightly subsided.  Were still married and always will be. You have to do it on your own terms but i would imagine the longer you know without telling, the harder and more complicated and difficult it will be.  Good Luck to you.
~Mort

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 01:09:42 pm »
Hi Pretty,

I guess the 64k question here is "how long" has he been your bf?  If he is new, then you need to tell him up front before you come even near a sexual encounter with him.  His response will be a pretty clear indication of how he feels about you.  (Not sure here if you are male or female) I would do some research and explain to him the chances of female to male transmission if you are female and so on if you are male.  I think he would appreciate your understanding of the virus, and would certainly have questions if he is troubled by it or cares in any way for you.

If he has been your bf for some time (even prior to infection), well then that is a bit more difficult.  Either way you will have to disclose.

Good luck to you either way

John

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 01:32:42 pm »
Scared...  As everyone else has said, its not an easy road.  But I choose an honest and open one to any relationship or someone I care about...  Its an inevitable conclusion that you will HAVE to tell him/her at some point.   For me, sooner better than later.   Save the termoil and worry for someone else....

Offline prettylips

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 05:06:13 pm »
thank you guys so much i did not tell him that i do have it but i told him that there is a possibility that i do so i asked him to go to the doctor with me so he can get tested and i will have someone there to help me explain ti him. he said he won't leave no matter what but i prefer to be with someone who can explain to him some more and again thank you guys so much for your help

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 05:27:58 pm »
Glad to hear that he's taking it so well. I think that one of the most fascinating things about these boards are the collective stories about both diagnosis and telling loved ones - especially partners. I think that it's the brave ones that tackle this quickly and don't risk spreading it further. I remember that the nurse who shared my test results with me tried to tell me not to get angry and try to spread it to anyone - I looked at him and thought, "are you an idiot"? (He was only doing his job, I know.)

The main thing is this: GOOD FOR YOU for dealing with this and not covering it up! One of the best first steps forward.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.