Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:29:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 116
Total: 116

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cost Questions  (Read 3104 times)

Offline UKStudent

Cost Questions
« on: March 23, 2007, 07:58:02 am »
I am currently a Chemistry Undergraduate in the UK, and we have been giving a group project to go through the motions of creating our own drug. It is a NNRTI drug. We now need to come up with a marketing campaign/strategy however i am struggling to find prices for the current drugs available, so as to compare to our theoretical drug.

We are focussing on three drugs:

Nevirapine, which has the trade name Viramune.
Delavirdine, which has the trade name Rescriptor.
Efavirenz, which has the trade names Sustiva and Stocrin.

If anybody here has any idea as to a general cost to the consumer for these drugs i would be very grateful as currently i am a little lost and not entirely sure where to find this information.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Cost Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:05:40 am »
Hello,

I am not sure how current this link is. If anything the meds listed have more then likely increased in cost.

http://aids.about.com/od/hivmedicationfactsheets/a/drugcost.htm

I am on Viramune, Epzicom ( epivir and Ziagen) and Viread

Without insurance my cost per month would be the following

Viramune-  (nevirapine)------$493.99---per month

Epzicom---------$893.09---per month

Viread-----------$559.99---per month

The prices I just listed above are current.

Ray

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 08:08:28 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:15:00 am »
A Google search on sommat like "Buy Sustiva" will give you loads of online pharmacy prices (US and Canadian). It is of course a funny market cos it's insurance driven. However, I am sure many people here will testify to the pain of co-pays/losing insurance/being on a waiting list for State funded treatment in the richest country in the world. The BHIVA website has a table in the 2005 HIV treatment guidelines giving comparative pricing for the NHS.  Rescriptor is generally out of use (in Europe). Two World CAB reports on drug pricing (here and here) will give you a perspective on pricing and access. Stocrin is of course a generic formulation and therefore cheaper. The MSF meds access website has the Untangling the Web report which unravels international drug pricing in relation to developed v developing countries. Plus loads of news there, generally about how protectionist the pharma cos are or aren't. The chemistry is one thing, the ethics is another eh?

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline UKStudent

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:20:50 am »
Well yes the chemistry was the easy bit costing setting up a research lab wasn't so easy, of course being the idealistic students we of course plan to have a small profit margin, but that as you said is not good business practice fortunately this isnt real business, so i fortunately do not have the guilt of being a Managing director of a company with a lovely large pay packet, with the "guilt" of knowing people can and are dieing because the products he produces are so ridiculously expensive.

Also thank you for the amazingly fast responce it has been extremely helpful.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.