Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:32:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 374
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: confused about life expectation  (Read 19891 times)

Offline Iggy

Re: confused about life expectation
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2007, 02:03:16 pm »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:19:01 pm by Iggy »

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2007, 12:42:34 pm »

Article on Aids meds

Although life expectancy is still significantly reduced, young patients recently diagnosed with HIV have an estimated median survival of more than 35 years, Danish researchers report in the January issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine.
"Patients with HIV can have a life expectancy comparable to diabetics," lead investigator Dr. Nicolai Lohse told Reuters Health. "As a result, they will need to ensure they plan properly for the future."

Dr. Lohse of Odense University Hospital and colleagues studied data on 3990 people with HIV being treated in Denmark between 1995 and 2005. Each was matched with up to 99 controls from the general population.

The highest HIV mortality (124 per 1000 person-years) was observed in 1995 to 1996 before the advent of highly active anti-retroviral therapy (HAART). This compared with 4.7 per 1000 person-years in the general population.

Overall, from the age of 25 years, the median survival was 19.9 years in HIV patients and 51.1 years in the general population. However, survival increased to 32.5 years in patients with HIV during the 2000-2005 period. In the subgroup that excluded the 16% of patients with hepatitis C coinfection, the median survival was 38.9 years.

The researchers note that the findings depend on continuous treatment success beyond the 10 years of current experience with HAART.

Nevertheless, concluded Dr. Lohse, "The longer life expectancy calls for physicians to pay attention to prevention and treatment of other lifestyle-related diseases."

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2007, 12:48:36 pm »
I was just thinking about that article and one thing to keep in mind is that its based on what is known today about treatments. Twenty years ago the life expectency wasn't nearly what it is today and who knows what it might be 20 years from now...right?

As one of the olde phartes around here I am not too worried about the issue - but I don't want you youngsters (49 and under) worrying too much about this, okay?
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2007, 02:12:26 pm »
What great posts Chaplinguy and Tusconwoody!!!

Zeb, I cannot possibly understand what it is like to have children and have to think of their future.  I do try to relate it somewhat to my niece and nephew (I know not the same but as close as I will ever have).  Of course I want to be here for as much of their life as possible and do for them all that I can.  However, I might get hit by the bus today, get prostrate cancer, shot in the street or maybe suffer liver failure due to HAART.  As far as being HIV+ and living as long as I can I must do 2 things, take care of myself and take my meds, everything else is pretty much out of my control.

There is only one certainty in life, we are all going to die.  Until that time comes I am just going to live each day as always - work, eat, play, plan for the future, dream.....  Simple, but what else is there?

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Eldon

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2007, 09:15:24 pm »
Zeb: The truth is that before HIV and after HIV no one knows the exact day or time that a person will leave this Earth. With this very subject, it creates a lot of inner anxiety especially when "expectations" are put into the formula.

Live your life and enjoy all that is in it.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tommorrow?"

Offline northernguy

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2007, 10:25:17 pm »
Always an interesting topic.  I agree with those who say to some degree its quality not quantity.  After the shock of my diagnosis I promised myself I'd go to the gym, eat better etc.  I haven't got to the gym yet, but have cleaned up my diet.  I'm still in a job I don't like but will change that.

At this point I'm getting more worried about my sleep apnea and high blood pressure!  That can kill me as surely as HIV.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline Eldon

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2007, 10:39:31 pm »

Hi Zeb, my name is Eldon and I am also HIV positive. You are not alone with this unfortunate circumstance that has taken place in your life. Communication is key.

Here you will find acceptance, understanding, communication, support, some cries, some laughter and much more. This site is infused with a lot of good information in order to HELP you with any questions that you may have on HIV/AIDS.

From my personal experience here, this is a great group of individuals who will listen as we as answer back to you. I have learned so much more by being here with my interaction with the others.

A few suggestions to HELP you on your Journey:

1. A Positive Mental Attitude
2. A Good Exercise Routine
3. A Good Balanced Diet
4. A Good Strong Support System

Feel free to browse through the many variations of topics here and also share with what is on your mind.

Welcome to our community!

Offline zeb

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2007, 05:12:17 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for your reactions. I really am very gratefull to all of you and I really sense the solidarity which is great!

You know what it is... the hiv thing is still making me anxious or gloomy some now and then. It's still an extra mental and emotional load to me. I suppose I have to get used to it and... I still need to develop the faith in the future.

On the other hand,... Hey... if I was neg I still would come home every evening, probably fall asleep in front of the TV at 9 pm and in the end I'd also pass away...

At least I have to go exercising now, quit smoking, I already eat a good diet, and I noticed that you all are a good support network! I almost start to believe I'm healthier then I ever have been  ;)

hugs to all of you,
Zeb

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2007, 08:50:53 pm »
I have subconsciously avoided thinking about this issue too much.   I will die some day.  That much is certain. 
It might be from hiv.  More than likely, however, it will be from heart disease, given my family history.  I guess, either way, I will be equally dead. 

I have had so many toxic and life threatening side effects from meds (both hiv and non hiv... let me tell you all about crestor some day)... that I have trouble believing that I am not slowly eroding my liver and kidneys anyway.   Anyway... I read this thread and learned a few things I didn't know.  Here's hoping that the progress continues. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline zeb

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2007, 04:42:42 pm »
Hi all,

It's been more than a month ago that I started this issue. Meanwhile I've been surfin' around and I picked up some information I'd like to share with you (assuming you're interested).

1. In the German state Niedersachsen there haven't been any aids related deaths for the past one and a half year (and yes there are people living with hiv);

2. In the year 2005 in the Netherlands 18,500 people were estimated positive, about a quarter of this 18,500 are not aware of their status and are not registered. during 2005 130 people died of aids (that's 0,7%). Why? Many of these people found out too late that they were infected, some of the people were not adherent (IDU's) and a very small part of the people were suffering from a severe resistant virus as a consequence of suboptimal early treatment.

well, let's go on with love and life!

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2007, 05:30:47 pm »
Hey Zeb

I am glad that you found out this information and feel more tranquil about living your life as normal as possible. Although I believe the information you read is accurate you also have to remember that these are also first world countries where healthcare is better than African and Asian nations where the number of people dying of HIV/AIDS is much much higher. We are fortunate that we live in the U.S. where we have more medications available but I sometimes feel that our healthcare systems is a bit "ify". I qualify for ADAP but if I make a little more than what I make I will loose it and i don't have health insurance from my job. I also feel like strains are becoming more potent and more resistant to drugs therefore we must continue to remember that safe sex is important to be adherent with drugs. Lastly a positive attitude that better treatment will become available soon which can extend our lives more and hopefully in our lifetime see a great change in this disease by finding a cure or at least considering it to be much more manageable than it is now. Doctors tell me it is manageable and chronic but there is truly no REAL evidence that people can live with HAART without severe long term side effects for decades. The predictions seem very bright for those of use recently infected it use to be so it is worth us taking care of ourselves the best we can now. Live life but also remember that we have a responsibility to contribute to society by not spreading HIV and asking for better treatments.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline zeb

« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2007, 05:41:23 pm »
Hi Ihavehope,

I agree with you! We have a BIG responsability.

grtz Zeb

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.