Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:27:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 586
Total: 587

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Celebrate or What ?  (Read 3338 times)

Offline Sherbert

Celebrate or What ?
« on: January 16, 2008, 10:53:47 am »
So I know when contracted and who I had contracted from, due to the time line of the situation and through talking with him... Technically though I wasnt diagnosed until Febuary 23, 2007...Well as you know it's January now...I know that I have been positive for a year and half, but the 23rd of next month will be one year since being diagnosed.  Although still a little more than a month away, I seem to be having mixed feelings on this...Do I celebrate, Am I going to be depressed, Should it just be another normal day of my life ?? I'm not sure how to feel, and I dont understand why ?  Is it just a marking stone in my life ? How did you guys feel, and what did you do ?

Offline Desertguy

Re: Celebrate or What ?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 11:25:53 am »
I am confused!!!

Why would you care or worry about celebrating it???
And why would you be depressed?
I was diagnosed in Sept 2007 an just getting on with my life.  I know we are all different in the way we handle being told we are + but why celebrate?
AT least you know where you got it!

ANyway hang in there just remember it's all good!!

Offline Funkengruven

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:31:48 am »
I decided to celebrate my 1 year anniversary.  After 365 days of knowing I was HIV-positive, I was still healthy, not really wealthy, but definitely wiser.  I thought that in itself was worth a little celebration.  My friends and I went out for a nice dinner and sprung for a bottle of Dom Perignon.  The night made for some great memories, and mentally it put me in a good place to begin tackling the next year of living with the virus and whatever it may bring.

Offline Sherbert

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 11:33:15 am »
I like your answer...That sounds like a good idea....

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:41:14 am »
I didn't so much celebrate the date so much as mentally marked it - took stock of the previous year and inventoried myself physically, psychologically and emotionally.  Once I did that, I found that there was indeed some reason to celebrate.  Not so much the infection or diagnosis, but the fact that I recognized that I actually had grown up a little. 

Dates that I did actively invest in celebrating were dates such as getting my VL down to undetectable and my CD4s hitting the 300 mark (which they never actually did, but came close enough). 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 01:04:33 pm »
There will probably be as many different answers to your question as there were situations for receiving that news.

I got diagnosed poz on 12/26/92

Near the one yr anniversary, my partner was just out of the hospital with an OI, and I busy caring for him and dealing my side effects from AZT. The second yr anniversary was just 6 months after my partner died and the first holiday season alone. By the fourth year anniversary, I had been in the hospital with PCP and it had officially become AIDS. By the fifth anniversary, I had been hospitalized again (pneumonia) and couldn't imagine I'd been alive much longer.

As you can see my first few anniversaries sure weren't worth celebrating.

However, when the fifteenth anniversary just passed a month ago, I planned a nice dinner with my current partner and a few close friends. We talked about all the horrible years I went through and had some somber, yet pleasant, reminiscing about my departed partner; but we also spoke about how amazing it is that I'm doing as well as I am now - even with the problems I have. We also started planning a nice bday party for me coming up in Mar when I'll be happy to celebrate a decade (ten years!) since that last time I was in the hospital!

I would imagine a little depression happens with each of us on this kind anniversary. I mean, no one can be happy to have gotten this diagnosis. But how you chose to remember the date probably depends on how you life is going at that time. If HIV is complicating your life, it probably won't be a time of celebration; however if your recovering from some issue, it probably will be a good time to celebrate still being alive. Regardless, it will probably be a day that you'll never forget.

best wishes,
mikie
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 07:18:58 pm »
We all have different ways of "remembering when."  Why project about how you're going to feel right now?  Just wait until the day comes, and see how you're feeling.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline yes2life3

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:39:30 pm »
I say live everyday and enjoy it..10 years here and feel like nothings wrong.. :-*
never surrender

Offline 404error

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 12:35:55 am »
Feb 10th will be my two year anniversary.  Since I consider being diagnosed with HIV as being the worst day in the history of my life, I will make a point to do something nice for myself on the anniversary of that date every year until I die.  Last year was a nice dinner out with a small group of friends.  This year, I'm not sure but it'll be something once again.  If marking the day somehow makes you feel a bit better, by all means go for it.
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:13:11 am »
I don't know how I am going to feel either. I know I wont have a party or anything but don't know what my feelings will be that day. I to know the exact date I was infected and then Sept 4 as the day I got the call from the doctor. So the two dates are going to be interesting to say the least.
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Offline lonewolf

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 01:26:26 am »
My Three year "anniversary" is coming up this March.  I try not to think about it at all, even tho obviously it I "celebrate" it every day.  One of the worst days of my life.  but moving on, and living day by day,  no meds yet, thank goodness.
I try to focus on the positive things of my life, and realize, even tho, I failed myself fatally, I will live the rest of my life as productive as I can.  We all will pass on from this life in some fashion,  some less "heroic" than others.  Obviously my obit will never read, "Bruce died after a courageous battle with HIV/AIDS."   Somehow, society doesn't accept that  like someone who has battled with cancer, diabetes,  heart conditions.   No I am not bitter,  but still trying to accept my self inflicted fate.
"To all within the sound of my voice, I appeal: Learn with me the lessons of history and of grace, so my children will not be afraid to say the word “AIDS” when I am gone. Then, their children and yours may not need to whisper it at all."  Mary Fisher

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 09:00:15 am »
Lone, welcome to the forums and try to ease up on yourself.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 10:00:16 am »
Well,

Truthfully, I cannot remember the exact date. I know it was sometime in July. So, this July, I will officially be positive for 23 years.

Maybe I'll celebrate the entire month of July. In fact, I think I will continue to celebrate every day I'm on this side of the sod.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.