Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Insurance, Benefits Programs & HIV

Retiring early - at age 55 in the U.S.

(1/3) > >>

Bucklandbury:
So prior to getting HIV here in the USA at almost age 51 (yes, depressing, I know), I had planned on retiring early at age 55. Now that I am HIV+, I am wondering how I am going to have to pay for my HIV meds - Biktarvy currently - and any care once I hit age 55 and can retire. My plan used to be that I was going to use my Roth 401(k) money at my current job and use the "rule of 55" to take out the money penalty free prior to being age 59-1/2. My plan allows that where I work. I can live very economically, and my partner and I own our home. We are debt free and otherwise healthy. I am 51, and he is going to be 55 in less than 2 months.

My plan used to be that I was to get healthcare insurance on my own to tide me over from age 55 to 59-1/2, when I will have free and clear access to my rather substantial 401(k), IRA, and HSA accounts. I am lucky that I have invested well - largely in index funds - since I was 22. Plus my partner and I live pretty frugally as I say.

Now that I am HIV+, I am not sure how this all will work. I do not want to work past age 55. Especially now that I am a PLWH. I have private healthcare now thanks to my full-time employment and currently pay $0 for my Biktarvy and medical check-ups. I am continuing to max out my 401(k), Roth IRA, and HSA accounts every year.

Am I nutty in thinking I can still proceed with retiring at 55 as I have described above - just like I was thinking when I was negative?

I won't need Social Security - and Medicare - once I can get those agewise (assuming I do live that long), but I will certainly take them once I can. I did pay into them all these years after all.

I am not a usual case, I understand. Most folks do not save and invest as I have been able to.

Expat1:
Between the Affordable Care Act, ADAP, HIPP, etc.  you should have no problem retiring at the age you wish.  There will be a way to get medical care.  After you retire do you have a pension or are you planning to use 401K or IRAs to fund your retirement?

IF you make too much to qualify for ADAP, you can order meds from India or Thailand.

Are  you planning on remaining where you are or moving?

Start by checking with your local Aids Service Organization to find out income limits.

I retired from work at age 51, no 66 no problems.

Good luck.

Bucklandbury:

--- Quote from: Expat1 on September 13, 2021, 07:03:48 pm ---
--- End quote ---
>> After you retire do you have a pension or are you planning to use 401K or IRAs to fund your retirement?

I have no pension, but I do have a traditional 401(k), Roth IRA, and HSA as I mentioned. I also have a bridge (brokerage) account that should get me from 55 to 59-1/2. As I mentioned, at age 55, my current firm will allow me to invoke the "Rule of 55," whereby I can use the Roth 401(k) money I am putting away now free and clear without penalty. That money is also tax free (it's Roth).

>> IF you make too much to qualify for ADAP, you can order meds from India or Thailand.

I am intrigued by ordering meds from India, but I worry about their not being legit, or getting stiffed. I had read that Biktarvy is sold in India by Gilead Sciences Inc. or its proxy. Whether or not that would be the meds I would get if I ordered would have to be seen. I would sure hope they would be legit!

>> Are  you planning on remaining where you are or moving?

I think we're staying put. I have lost my desire to travel much to be honest. My neuropathy is not good. Sadly, I just got diagnosed in March. That neuropathy started in June. My feet and legs buzz constantly. And my fingers are numbish a lot. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

>> Start by checking with your local Aids Service Organization to find out income limits.

Will do.

Thank you.

BKKKevin:

--- Quote from: Expat1 on September 13, 2021, 07:03:48 pm ---IF you make too much to qualify for ADAP, you can order meds from India or Thailand.

--- End quote ---

How does one order meds from India or Thailand?
Do you have a link to a reliable online seller?

Thanks

Almost2late:
Hi Buck,

Sorry about your neuropathy issue, do hope it gets better.

I also retired early in my 50's bc of the aids thing, just didn't want to go through it at work. Health insurance was challenging in Florida bc my pension was too much to qualify for adap, but we managed.

--- Quote from: Expat1 on September 13, 2021, 07:03:48 pm ---Start by checking with your local Aids Service Organization to find out income limits.

--- End quote ---
And ☝️ this is probably the best advice you could do for your situation.

After my move to Oregon, this is exactly what I did bc I really did not know how I was going to get my meds and labs done over here.. I was wondering if I made a big mistake moving this far.
So I seeked out help from a local aids organization and a counselor there helped me beyond my expectations.. surprisingly I qualified for the adap assistance in the state as long as I picked a silver healthplan from aca.

Now I don't know how 401k's work but I don't think it matters what you got in it, but what you take out of it each year that could be considered income.. that's what qualifies or disqualifies you for assistance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version