Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

A New Start

(1/3) > >>

JCS19:
A diagnosis of HIV can be devastating; and it brings with it a mix of thoughts and emotions that turn the mind and the heart inside out. Yet in light of one's diagnosis, the human desire to be cherished, loved and supported cannot be extinguished. They are an intrinsic part of being human.

Every person has a desire to experience life’s goodness, with all of its joys and personal accomplishments, shared among family and friends. HIV does not (and should not) have the ability to deprive anyone of these things.

For many, the COVID-19 pandemic has been a time of reflection and prioritizing the things that matter. It has been a period of adjustment and change, so let it be for the better.

HIV is tricky and can have an overwhelming impact one’s mental, emotional and spiritual well-being. My hope for someone receiving an HIV diagnosis is that they see it as a starting point, not an end point. It has certainly been the start to an important chapter for me.

The joys, successes and happiness of life await each of us, so let us all embrace them!

Written by James C.

JCS19:
A diagnosis of HIV can be devastating; and it brings with it a mix of thoughts and emotions that turn the mind and the heart inside out. Yet in light of one's diagnosis, the human desire to be cherished, loved and supported cannot be extinguished. They are an intrinsic part of being human.

Every person has a desire to experience life’s goodness, with all of its joys and personal accomplishments, shared among family and friends. HIV does not (and should not) have the ability to deprive anyone of these things.

For many, the COVID-19 pandemic has been a time of reflection and prioritizing the things that matter. It has been a period of adjustment and change, so let it be for the better.

HIV is tricky and can have an overwhelming impact one’s mental, emotional and spiritual well-being. My hope for someone receiving an HIV diagnosis is that they see it as a starting point, not an end point. It has certainly been the start to an important chapter for me.

The joys, successes and happiness of life await each of us, so let us all embrace them!

Written by James Cotromanes

JCS19:

Home
Basics
Basics
Introduction
HIV Transmission and Risks
HIV Testing
HIV Prevention
Newly Diagnosed
Starting HIV Treatment
HIV Medications
HIV Drug Assistance Programs
HIV and Liver Disease
VIH/SIDA en Español
News
News
Newsfeed
Science News
Features
Opinions
Conferences
Slideshows
Videos
POZ at Home
POZ TV
POZ Stories
POZ 100
By Author
RSS Links
Hot Topics
Hot Topics
POZ Awards
POZ at 25
POZ 100
Advocacy
COVID-19
Criminalization
Cure
Long-Term Survivors
Newly Diagnosed
PrEP
Prevention
Undetectable (U=U)
Youth
Magazine
Magazine
Current Issue
Archives
Digital Editions
POZ Focus
POZ en Español
Subscriptions
Email Newsletters
Blogs
Blogs
Recent Posts
Browse Bloggers
RSS Links
Community
Community
POZ Personals
POZ Stories
POZ 100
Community
AIDS Is Everyday
Forums
Polls
Surveys
Quizzes
Ask POZ
Services Directory
Calendar
Jobs
Bookstore
About Us
About Us
About Us
Masthead
Awards
Press Releases
Advertise
Contact Us
 Facebook
 Twitter
© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved. Terms of use and Your privacy. Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.

Advertisement

Thinkstock
POZ STORIES
A New Chapter
An HIV diagnosis doesn’t mean it’s the end of your story.

December 15, 2020
By James C.

Advertisement

James C.

Positive since 2007

When you are first diagnosed, it feels like you have been given a life sentence. You feel isolated and alone. You are left within the whirlwind of your thoughts and emotions. It is a mental and emotional roller coaster of coming to terms with the new reality that you have HIV.

Though it can be seen as a life sentence in terms of it being a lifelong medical condition, you remain free. This is one of many chapters in your life, with much of the journey—and its conclusion—still to be written. It is a new chapter and a new beginning—of self-awareness, individual purpose and happiness.

Living with this chronic condition undoubtedly has its calm waters and turbulent storms, but it doesn’t define who you are. On your journey through life, you have the power to chart your course. That being said, turn living with HIV from a perceived weakness into a strength.

Recognize HIV for what it is, but also have the realization that it has brought forth positive change in your life. I know this to be true because I too am HIV positive. With one step at a time forward, let us enjoy this journey together.

JCS19:

When you are first diagnosed, it feels like you have been given a life sentence. You feel isolated and alone. You are left within the whirlwind of your thoughts and emotions. It is a mental and emotional roller coaster of coming to terms with the new reality that you have HIV.

Though it can be seen as a life sentence in terms of it being a lifelong medical condition, you remain free. This is one of many chapters in your life, with much of the journey—and its conclusion—still to be written. It is a new chapter and a new beginning—of self-awareness, individual purpose and happiness.

Living with this chronic condition undoubtedly has its calm waters and turbulent storms, but it doesn’t define who you are. On your journey through life, you have the power to chart your course. That being said, turn living with HIV from a perceived weakness into a strength.

Recognize HIV for what it is, but also have the realization that it has brought forth positive change in your life. I know this to be true because I too am HIV positive. With one step at a time forward, let us enjoy this journey together.

PozChilean:
Hi James:

Thank you for joining us. Before you continue posting, please don't forget to create a new topic introducing yourself (you can see plenty of previous examples in the "Living with HIV" section; that's standard practice for all new members.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version