Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:44:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 609
Total: 609

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi, I'm a new member and I'm confused  (Read 20314 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Hi, I'm a new member and I'm confused
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2023, 10:23:53 am »
Updates: my last cd4 percentage reduced from 23% to 21%.
I totally missed this post the other day but figured this is as good a time as any to give another piece of advice.

Never care what one test result is. Labwork is only a snapshot of what's going on in your body at that moment in time. And of course, when you think about it, our bodies are constantly in flux. Your heart rate goes up and down, so does temp, blood pressure, etc. Everything else does too. For example cd4s are actually higher in the early evening and lowest in the mornings.

So all results MUST be considered as a trend of at least 3 tests over at least 6 months. Just like the ups and downs in other bodily function tests, cd4s, viral loads, and other immune functions can fluctuate so much that a snapshot result doesn't show what's happening, while a trend is a sign of whether treatment is working and how "healthy" a person is. Rarely do bodily functions change in a straight line; but more of a jagged trending line.

looking at your numbers....
11/01/2023 VL : U                       CD4 452 - 21.52%
08/10/2023 VL : U                      CD4: 397 - 23.22%
06/20/2023 VL : U                      CD4: 422 - 20.73%
01/17/2023 VL : 1430/mL           CD4: 300 - 10.45%
.... we see that your cd4s are on an jagged upward trend (300 to 452) while your cd4% (which is a more "stable" number than the cd4 amount which can change in either direction by 100 pts in one day) has DOUBLED from 10% to 22%. While the cd4 count is not an accurate measurement of your "health" (you could have strong or weak cd4s; but the general wisdom is that the more you have the better your body fights off infections), a higher cd4 is always a good thing.

Also, now that you quickly reached and have been undetectable for over 6 months (boy was that ever a straight line function. :D ), you can no longer transmit HIV to anyone else, and that's a very good situation.

She said my immune system is fine and we need to figure out why I'm so miserable
Well, it's not like your body hasn't been dealing with a very serious chronic issue (HIV), not to mention getting adjusted to meds and then switching med. Sometimes, like I was talking about above, recovery is not a straight line function either. Hopefully with some more time, you will be able to figure out and fix your issues. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Kirat

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2023, 10:40:34 am »
I reread the thread and found the answer Lexapro.  How is this working for you, and is your psychiatrist aware of your new HIV diagnosis?
Yeah, she is. Lexapro is working fine for my depression. No longer so depressed as I was. Now it just seems to be something more physical. I've been having apnea, my nose is always obstructed, this blurry vision is always present. It's been overwhelming, but I need to keep trying to investigate whats going on.
Switched meds again on 21/21/2023 because I had no changes with the new meds. Now, taking Dolutegravir + Lamivudine only, the dual therapy.
11/01/2023 VL : U                       CD4 452 - 21.52%
Switched meds on 10/26/2023: Darunavir + RTV + TDF/3TC ( 3 pills).
01/17/2023 VL : 1430/mL           CD4: 300 - 10.45%
Started Dolutegravir + Tenofovir/Lamivudine

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2023, 10:49:14 am »
So HIV and depression are stable, that's excellent.

Keep working on the rest and hopefully, that will be sorted soon as well. 
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Kirat

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2023, 01:39:34 pm »
Lexapro is working ok. But this whole situation is making me depressed again because I have no quality of life. I'm EXTREMELY fatigue, I cant even talk because my voice is so weak.
Switched meds again on 21/21/2023 because I had no changes with the new meds. Now, taking Dolutegravir + Lamivudine only, the dual therapy.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2023, 01:49:36 pm »
Sorry to hear that you are struggling. Make sure to see your psychiatrist and whoever is looking into the physical side of things as soon as you can.

I hope you feel better soon.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Kirat

« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2023, 12:12:02 pm »
My HDL Cholesterol is plummeting. It's 24 at the moment. Does anyone know why this happens? I have a pretty decent diet, no refined sugars, no gluten, I eat salads, meat, fruits...
Currently I have no energy to exercise, but I'll go back whenever I get better.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2023, 12:56:45 pm »
Nobody here can diagnose why you might have low HDL Cholesterol.

Is this just from the latest labs, or have they trended downward over time? Were the rest of the lipid panel results within the normal range?

Are you still taking Levothyroxine, Darunavir + RTV + TDF/3TC, Lexapro and Iron supplements?

If it's a sudden change, I would rerun the labs. See if it changes back or settles, as you recently changed HIV meds and started a few other things. On the other hand, it could be related to whatever ongoing issue has made you feel unwell for the past weeks/months. If, however, it's a sudden change, I would first consider any recent changes in diet, medication or supplements.

Anyhow, like I said, nobody here can diagnose why, see your healthcare provider and talk to them.

Cholesterol is an odd thing, for the past nine years, my Cholesterol has been perfect, which makes sense being Irish, slob, alcoholic meat eater.  :o I guess some are just lucky.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 01:11:41 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Kirat

« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2023, 07:12:32 pm »
Nobody here can diagnose why you might have low HDL Cholesterol.

Is this just from the latest labs, or have they trended downward over time? Were the rest of the lipid panel results within the normal range?

Are you still taking Levothyroxine, Darunavir + RTV + TDF/3TC, Lexapro and Iron supplements?

If it's a sudden change, I would rerun the labs. See if it changes back or settles, as you recently changed HIV meds and started a few other things. On the other hand, it could be related to whatever ongoing issue has made you feel unwell for the past weeks/months. If, however, it's a sudden change, I would first consider any recent changes in diet, medication or supplements.

Anyhow, like I said, nobody here can diagnose why, see your healthcare provider and talk to them.

Cholesterol is an odd thing, for the past nine years, my Cholesterol has been perfect, which makes sense being Irish, slob, alcoholic meat eater.  :o I guess some are just lucky.

Very recent labs, but it's been in a downward trend over time indeed. It was 40, then 30+, now 24. I'm still taking that regime, yes. I'm not taking the iron supplement because my last iron exams were normal. And that gave me some bad reflux too. It's really mysterious what I'm going through. Today I had to sleep the whole day because I was miserably tired.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2023, 10:12:58 am »
40, then 30+, now 24

So crap results three in a row. If I were you, I would simply suspect this part of whatever else has been making me sick for a while already and continue to work with the healthcare provider.

Take it easy.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2023, 01:44:31 pm »

ojo.               @kirat, I’m sorry you are still not feeling well. You have to talk to your doctor about all these blood work results, as a matter of fact, I think you shouldn’t see the results, just your doctor, I don’t think it helps with your depression seeing results that you don’t understand and they just make you anxious. I wish I can find the words to make you feel better. How long have you been taking Lexapro? Maybe it’s not helping you, I am not a doctor, but I   think is related to depression. Again, talk to your doctor and try to keep busy…abracos

Offline Kirat

« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2023, 03:23:08 pm »
Updating my situation. I still feel horrible. Can't exercise, always fatigued, brainfog, blurry vision, weakness(can't lift weights), dizziness/lightheadedness, almost fainting sensation and etc. I started looking up my heart rate and it was always bradicardic. I got a Holter 24h, it came back with 10 hours of bradichardia(40%). I go to a cardiologist, the cardiologist gaslights me saying :"oh, it's fine. Some people have bradychardia and live fine" but im not asymptomatic you *ssh*le. He gave my an echocardiogram, polissonography that I asked and a stress exercise. Anyway, I need a better cardiologist. The problem is, they are f*unkind expensive.
My HIV doctor put me back on DTG and Lamivudine, the dual therapy regime now, without the Tenofovir. I'm happy with one less medication.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.