Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:51:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 412
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 412
Total: 413

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is this a side effect of Atripla?  (Read 6487 times)

Offline ga1964

Is this a side effect of Atripla?
« on: February 22, 2007, 04:00:44 pm »
I've been taking Atripla since Jan. 07 and today it has felt like I have syrup flowing thru the veins in my left arm.  It is also causing some pain in the veins.  Has anyone experienced this or is it a sign of something else I should be worried about.

Offline ARMANDO

Re: Is this a side effect of Atripla?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 04:49:13 pm »
DOES IT SMELL LIKE MAPLE?  :P

Offline ga1964

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:34:52 pm »
DOES IT SMELL LIKE MAPLE?  :P

Thousands of comedians out of work, and the LAST COMIC STANDING loser has reply.

I came here to try and get an intelligent answer....

So far, No luck.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 07:45:55 pm »
Syrup in the veins is incomprehensible to me.  Not sure that I've read anything that I would compare to that.  Perhaps, you should try to me more descriptive and then people might recognize your symptoms.

Offline ga1964

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 11:59:10 pm »
Syrup in the veins is incomprehensible to me.  Not sure that I've read anything that I would compare to that.  Perhaps, you should try to me more descriptive and then people might recognize your symptoms.

I was trying to express that it felt like the blood in my vein had a thicker consistency than normal, much like the consistency of syrup flowing thru them.  Not understanding what I was asking was no excuse to make a joke out of it.  I am new to all this and I was concerned for my health and seeking information.  Maybe you will understand how it feels the next time your experiencing unusual symptoms and someone makes a joke about what your seeking information for.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 06:48:14 am »
Yes, I understand you didn't see anything funny in his joke.  But, I'm still not registering how you can feel your blood is somehow thicker or exactly what you are trying to describe.  Maybe you're trying to say you feel sluggish?  Maybe you cut yourself and bled 'thickly'.  Doctors are pretty skilled at taking a patient's vague symptom and translating it into a medical diagnosis, but lay people really aren't.  You can go to www.atripla.com for a list of side effects and, of course, contact your doctor.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 07:35:51 am »
The answer is perhaps and it is worth getting it checked out because...

Two of the meds in Atripla are associated with lactic acidosis, one symptom of which is poor circulation (because of increased blood viscosity).  Other symptoms include vomiting, nausea, pain in the abdomen, feeling tired.

Pain in the left arm may indicate a heart problem in it's own right.

If you started treatment with a low CD4 count this symptom may indicate something going on because of immune restitution, the involvement may be lymphatic eg getting rid of damaged CD4 cells now treatment has started, but also the effect from a lurking nasty that has flared up/your immune system can now deal with.

- matt

Now playing: the fan heater
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline ga1964

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 01:25:26 pm »
Maybe you're trying to say you feel sluggish?  Maybe you cut yourself and bled 'thickly'.  Doctors are pretty skilled at taking a patient's vague symptom and translating it into a medical diagnosis, but lay people really aren't. 

Thank you for the link to Atripla.  I went there, but did not read anything that sounded like what I'm experiencing.

Its not that I'm feeling sluggish or that I cut myself and bled thickly.  Maybe a better way to explain it is having a drug like Demerol pushed in to your I.V. too quickly and you can feel the Demerol move thru your vein and cause the vein to ache.  If this has never happened to you, be thankful because it can be very painful.  I now make it a point to tell nurses to inject meds slowly into my I.V.

Two of the meds in Atripla are associated with lactic acidosis, one symptom of which is poor circulation (because of increased blood viscosity). 

If you started treatment with a low CD4 count this symptom may indicate something going on because of immune restitution, the involvement may be lymphatic eg getting rid of damaged CD4 cells now treatment has started, but also the effect from a lurking nasty that has flared up/your immune system can now deal with.

- matt

Matt may have hit on it by describing it as "increased blood viscosity".  My CD4 count when I started Atripla was 191 and maybe that has had something to do with it.  Thank you Matt for the input.  I will ask my doctor about the lactic acidosis.

Offline bhh1020

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 05:43:53 pm »
My CD-4 Count was 48 and Viral Load Between 9,000 and 10,000.
I have been on Atripla for 4 weeks ending Monday, Feb 26.  The side effects I experienced within the first week: (1)  ODD NIGHTMARE dreams - monsters, ugly stuff; This ended after my first week. (2) Sometimes feeling like I was paralyzed below the neck. This also ended after week 1. (3) Cognitive reduction - confusion, in a stupor; This continues but gets better by early afternoon.  I am not able to work because of this but I hope I do get to return to being productive again.  That is my BIGGEST loss - feeling like I am a burden on everyone (family); I sleep more than I would like and do get tired around 3:00 in the afternoon every day.  The doctors tell me I will and can live many many years (well into 70's) with this medication.  Is this true?  Does anyone still pass away from AIDS if they are on these meds?  My medical team tells me no.  Am I being naive?  I only started AIDS meds in late Jan, 2007 so I don't have any previous experience.  Appreciate any help and input.

Offline ga1964

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 06:40:39 pm »
Hi bhh1020,

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the side effects you are experiencing.  I have only been taking Atripla since Jan. and have had a few side effects.  I have had nights that I did not sleep completely thru the night, which is unusual for me.  Normally, when I'm out...I'm out.  I have read other posts of people having "Vivid Dreams", but I have not experience any.  I have had constant and extreme muscle pain between my shoulder blades making me not want to move, but no paralysis.  If you are taking your dosage in the morning, it could be the cause of the "confusion, in a stupor".  I was told to take mine at night  just before bed so I would sleep thru most of the side effects.  It might also help you not to tire out in the afternoon. 

Your side effects could be worse than mine because your CD-4 count is lower than mine ( 191 ), but your VL is lower than mine ( 23,000 ), so who knows.  I'm also new to all this.  Are you taking anything else?  I'm on Bactrim until my CD-4s rise above 200 for at least 6 months.  My I.D. told me that Atripla should give me 20-30 years and that no one dies of AIDS, but from the "Opportunistic Diseases" that you can get from an impaired immune system. 

Just make sure you discuss your concerns with your medical team so they are aware of everything your experiencing.

David.

Offline bhh1020

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 04:32:51 pm »
David - Thanks for the info.  The other drugs Im on are

Bactrim and Zythromyacin - These are both preventative for PCP
Ambien for sleep - works well
Morphine and Percoset for Neuropathy
Anti nausea drug - name escapes me
Zyvox for a bacterial / fungal infection I have in my toes - this is a PAIN at over $2,100 per 14 day supply and no results after 1 week.  Maybe early but hopefully I will see some improvement.  Terrified I will get other infections that I cant battle.
Will get new labs done on Friday - WISH ME GOOD THOUGHTS!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again and stay in touch
Barry
bhh99@surfbest.net

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.