Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 339
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Looking  (Read 11054 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Looking
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:06:06 pm »
Anyone watching?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

Re: Looking
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 07:45:37 pm »
I've been recording it on my DVR  but I haven't had the chance to watch it yet.   Have you watched them?   Thoughts?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:23:11 am »
Ok watched the first two episodes....pretty good . Quite actually

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:08:47 am »
pretty good.  The "old" character, worried about his mojo, is just 40.  Ouch!

The young character seems a little too innocent but that's because Im so old I forget that "the young man from the provinces arrives in the big city" is still a thing.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:11:36 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 03:51:05 pm »
This is probably the best gay tv show I've seen.  So far they have avoided the stupid gay stereotypes and cliche's that most gay shows fall into (hello will and grace yes I'm talking to you).  Granted this isn't network tv and it's 2014 so not a fair comparison.  But this is still so far pretty damn good.

Speaking of which I went and saw the live RuPauls drag race show when it was in Seattle a week ago.  It was horrible (and I like drag race).  Ugh it was the worst. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 05:44:49 pm »
Sorry to hear about the live Drag Race show. Can you describe why it was bad?

I'm a fan but it sort of depends on the season - i think its hit or miss if the particular contestants fit the viewer's preferences, or not.

Season 5 - I liked Jinkx and Alyssa.  Also the things those two have done after have been pretty good.

I picked Sharon to win Season 4 from before the season started but actually didn't like her much and Sharon and Alaska's side projects since have been DREADFUL.  Just awful.

William can be funny in her videos. She wasn't good in the live show?

As for Looking, well I've only seen 3 episodes and I don't think any of the characters are fresh, in fact I think they are kind of cliché, but I don't have a problem at all with that cause so far its been enjoyable enough to watch. They seem about right, and seem comparable to the characters on Girls, which I still enjoy.

I hope they keep Oakland as a setting.  Back when I lived in SF in the 80s, real bohos and struggling young people lived in SF but I can only imagine now that San Franciso (like NY) has forced out most young struggling types.  Thats why it makes sense to me the arty one moved to Oakland, and the young tech guy lives in SF cause he probably gets a good salary to afford that.  The "old" 40 yo hunk waiter, IMO he's still in SF cause he probably has his apt from back before the first dot com boom.  He makes a crack about that, too, about how he hated the tech money the first time around.  I SO REMEMBER that in Brooklyn in the 90s.  Like the day my landlady doubled the rent because there was so much 90's dot.com money coming in.   
Laugh until you cry...   ;D

Any predictions how they'll do an HIV angle?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:49:16 pm by mecch »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 09:31:26 pm »
Sorry to hear about the live Drag Race show. Can you describe why it was bad?

A couple things.  1) they didnt lip synch, they actually sang most of the songs.  Now that would be awesome if any of them could actually sing.  Ivy Winter was the only one who lip synch'd and she was by far the best of the bunch.  She did one number on stilts and the other number with battons that were lit on fire. 

2) They were not at all entertaining or funny.  It was a sold out show in a rather large theater and at one point I think it was Detox made a comment that the audience was bad because everyone remained seated and no one was standing up dancing.  Well, no one was standing up because everyone was really bored.  It was a lame attempt to blame the audience when the show really sucked.

3) Willam was boring.  He was not at all entertaining and appeared bored>  Everyone was so excited to see him and left being really let down.

4) Actually, the only person who could sing and was actually quite entertaining was Michelle Visage.  She was the "hostess" but did sing once or twice and was really other than Ivy Winter the only entertaining part of the show. 

Any predictions how they'll do an HIV angle?

They kind of eluded to that in the 2nd episode when the hot 40yo guy met Scott Bacula at the bath house. 

I really like the way the show is filmed.  Its single camera and very artistic in the way its done.   

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 10:53:25 pm »
This is probably the best gay tv show I've seen.  So far they have avoided the stupid gay stereotypes and cliche's that most gay shows fall into (hello will and grace yes I'm talking to you).  Granted this isn't network tv and it's 2014 so not a fair comparison.  But this is still so far pretty damn good.

Speaking of which I went and saw the live RuPauls drag race show when it was in Seattle a week ago.  It was horrible (and I like drag race).  Ugh it was the worst.

What were the stereotypes and cliches that Will & Grace fell into?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 11:04:35 pm »
Maybe stereotype isn't the correct word but all of the jokes in will and grace were basically gay cliches.  The punch line to all their jokes were the same....gay.

Granted it was the 90's or 2000's or whenever but it wasn't a very mature (I mean developed) script or character development.

It's not fair to compare Looking to Will and Grace (my bad).   It is more fair to compare Looking to Queer as Folk.

Now the British Queer as Folk (I loved ) is quite similar I think to Looking.  Whereas the American Queer as Folk (dreadful) is quite similar to Will and Grace..cliche'

It's twisted

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 05:36:38 pm »
I liked the American Queer as Folk. Sharon Gless, come on thats quality. :)

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 05:39:55 pm »
I wanted to start watching something weird and queer so I started watching My Little Pony this week.  So sparkly!  I guess bronies have already had their 15 minutes and their walk of shame, so I don't think anyone is going to shoot me for this.  :o

Offline buginme2

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 07:39:51 pm »
HuffPo wrote a review of Looking and TRASHED it. 

Considering only me and Mecch have commented on the show I take it none of the other gays are watching.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-toussaint/why-hbos-looking-will-kee_b_4703675.html

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 03:54:05 am »
Anyone watching?

We have the 4 aired episodes (download) , but haven't had the time to watch any of it yet.

(with this tool you can automatically manage your downloads :  http://sickbeard.com/ )

Offline buginme2

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 03:29:37 pm »
Anyone catch last nights episode?

1.  What do you think of the HIV angle? Slightly uncomfortable but honest??

2.  The show abruptly ending with black screen and Morrissey singing Everyday is Like Sunday was brilliant.

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:27 pm »
I liked the episode. It was very intimate.
I don't like the Patrick character.  Richie is VERY appealing.
I don't remember much about HIV - they both talked about their history and not having it, and Patrick was a little weirded out and turned on that Richie swallowed his load.  It seemed pretty honest.
Patrick needs to get fucked -- he is an annoying tight-ass.  He has some funny lines. I would have preferred to see more of the other characters - cause I hear this show has no audience and could easily be cancelled.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 08:56:37 am »

Patrick needs to get fucked

He does...not by Richie, but by his boss   ...episode 8

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 08:53:05 pm »
Didn't see that yet but thank the fuck god he's getting plower. Because he is so annoying.
The actor Jonathan Groff was in the Ang Lee move Taking Woodstock, which I watched last weekend. He plays a slick hippie operator who sets up Woodstock and he's really sexy and a lot less tight-assed than in Looking..  I dunno know why I cried all the way through this movie Taking Woodstock...

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 07:28:59 am »

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 11:43:02 am »
Don't shit where you eat. No matter HOW sexy the boss is.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 03:55:14 pm »
 sexy ?? :P...those ears, and not to mention the flabby ass 

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 03:59:40 pm »
Taking Woodstock...

Demetri Martin (main character) is sooo cute and adorable

4 hashbrownies EACH  ?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:03:04 pm by Grasshopper »

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 07:24:41 am »
Agreed Demetri Martin is a babe.. I think he's some sort of genius.  I think he dumbs down a little in his stand up acts. They are funny still. 
I didn't like "In a World..." so much, but looking forward to his new movies.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 04:35:46 pm »
sexy ?? :P...those ears, and not to mention the flabby ass 
You're harsh, he's a cutey pie
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 04:41:09 pm by buginme2 »

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 12:47:01 am »
You're harsh, he's a cutey pie

Oh...so you too fell for the accent ?    ;D

Offline mecch

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 06:43:57 pm »
Well I saw eps 7 and 8.
The boss is BAD NEWS for Patrick.  Patrick wants a bf - not to screw around with his non-single boss, Kevin.  Kevin just f*cked Patrick but he could really really screw over Patrick.
Augustin is much nicer when he's high.  I'm glad they gave a good side to that character, finally.  Kinda sad it was chemically induced but hey...  At least Patrick has a friend to come home to, again for awhile. This may embolden him for his future adventures. 

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 05:15:29 pm »
HuffPo wrote a review of Looking and TRASHED it. 

Considering only me and Mecch have commented on the show I take it none of the other gays are watching.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-toussaint/why-hbos-looking-will-kee_b_4703675.html

I haven't watched Looking, or Game of Thrones (loved the book), because I don't have HBO. I did read this article in The Advocate, "Op-ed: In Defense of Looking" and the author feels the show, which has been called boring by many reviewers, isn't boring but "feels like having an intimate conversation, one that brings on epiphanies that are sometimes freeing and sometimes terrifying." He says, "Sadly, “secrecy, silence, and judgment” are the conditions under which most gay men — across cultures, nations, races, and ethnicities — are still raised to varying degrees. So it makes perfect sense to me why a lot of gay men refuse to engage with the show by dismissing it as “boring.” Shame is a difficult thing to face."

I can see how many straight male reviewers would find this stuff quite boring.

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2014/03/12/op-ed-defense-looking

Offline buginme2

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 08:02:06 pm »
I haven't watched Looking, or Game of Thrones (loved the book), because I don't have HBO. I did read this article in The Advocate, "Op-ed: In Defense of Looking" and the author feels the show, which has been called boring by many reviewers, isn't boring but "feels like having an intimate conversation, one that brings on epiphanies that are sometimes freeing and sometimes terrifying." He says, "Sadly, “secrecy, silence, and judgment” are the conditions under which most gay men — across cultures, nations, races, and ethnicities — are still raised to varying degrees. So it makes perfect sense to me why a lot of gay men refuse to engage with the show by dismissing it as “boring.” Shame is a difficult thing to face."

I can see how many straight male reviewers would find this stuff quite boring.

I think I would agree with that.  The episode that included a discussion about HIV and one of the characters swallowing the others "load" was a bit uncomfortable but was quite subtle.  A friend of mine who is also hiv positive was quite upset by some of the dialogue. 

It's actually what I like about the show.  The characters are not caricatures the way many gay characters are on other shows.  I see myself and my friends more in this show than in any other gay show in the past.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 10:45:08 pm »
blah blah blah. pop psycho-babble.

The show is simply boring because nothing much happens, the characters hardly move their mouths to speak their few lines, and quite frankly 30 mins is not near enough time for any story buildup for a drama. Luckily the last 2 episodes weren't too bad - but that's because a lot finally happened.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 02:16:56 pm »
Yeah it was a slow start but the drama arrived in the last 2 episodes.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 08:33:23 pm »
With just 8 half hour shows, they only gave us 4 hours worth of show. In a normal 12-16 episode season, that's barely the first 1/4 -1/3 of a season - which isn't very much time to develop characters or a story. It doesn't have anything to do with gay shame but with not enough story or even time for a story.

Now there's 11 months to wait for the next 4 hours worth of show. Oy vey!  :o At this rate, it'll be March 2018 before we see a full season of this show. Dom's going to be really old by then; and Capt'n Archer (aka Scott Bakula) will probably have retired from acting. ROFL ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2014, 07:54:30 am »
Dom's going to be really old by then;
Murray Bartlett is cute and also I suspect lies about his age.  ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.