Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:07:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 206
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Unprotected Sex as Top  (Read 8359 times)

Offline CalDude63

Unprotected Sex as Top
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:17:55 pm »
Hi there,

On Sunday, I met up with someone for a hook up. Our agreement was going to be that he was going to give me head. But midway through, he jumped on me and put my penis into his anus, and we had anal sex. In the right mind, I should've told him to get off, but the feeling was so good, and, no more than two minutes later (It was less, but I am just putting maximum numbers), I came in him. Afterwards, I asked him repeatedly what his HIV status was, and he told me he was clean. I, however, thought it was weird that he would bottom without a condom--this made me not trust him. I finally got an answer out of him Monday night--he told me he had a viral load undetectable.

I went to the clinic immediately (Tuesday). So far, I tested negative for HIV, which I know is inaccurate as it takes a while for antibodies to develop. The infectious disease doctor said I am at low risk because I topped. I am, however, uncircumsized. After the intercourse, I did take a wash cloth with water and wiped my penis off. Within 30 minutes of intercourse, I took a full and thorough shower. The doctor also prescribed me PEPs—truvada and kaletra, which I started taking 42 hours after possible exposure. In addition, despite being uncircumsized, my doctor was confident I'd be okay.

What do you think are my chances of contracting HIV? I am 21 years old, and having this virus would make my life a living hell. :( This was my first time doing anal sex, and I never, ever am going to have sex without a condom.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:20:39 pm by CalDude63 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Unprotected Sex as Top
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:09:52 am »
Cal,

You had a risk but one very much on the low end of the scale and you really don't need PEP, particularly if it's true that your partner has an undetectable viral load. I fully expect you to test negative following this one-off, brief insertive incident, PEP or no PEP.

You need to know that PEP extends the testing window period by one month. For a conclusive negative result, you'll have to test three months following the last dose of PEP, which should be four months following the risk.

You can test at six weeks following the last dose of PEP for a very good indication of your true hiv status, but it must be confirmed at three months post-PEP.

I really hope you learn from this and stop having unprotected intercourse.

And by the way, using the word clean to describe someone's sexual health implies that those of us who are hiv positive are dirty. We're not. Please do not use that insulting term here again. Thank you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline CalDude63

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 12:44:20 pm »
Hi Ann,

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for using the word, "clean." Those are not my words, but the words of the guy I had sex with. I completely understand and am aware of the insulting implications, and I will refrain from using them.

Like I said, the time durations I provided are general and may be incorrect, but anal intercourse didn't last more than 2-3 minutes. Is that still considered brief?

The main concerns I have is a) he lied about being undetectable because he lied to me about his status; b) given that I am uncircumsized, my foreskin and urethra absorbed the rectal secretions, which, according to many sites, have a lot of HIV. Given these factors, am I still at low risk? I'd greatly appreciate your perspective on these potential factors.

This was the first time I had anal sex--I am not the kind of person to go around having unprotected sex, but this guy just jumped on me without asking. I should've been more proactive, and definitely have learned from this. Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 02:12:24 pm »
The odds are in your favor that you will come out of of this ok. You can test initially at 6 weeks after completing PEP. Assuming you test negative at that point then you will very likely test negative for a conclusive result at 3 months after completing PEP.

Meantime focus on other things in your life. It really will help the waiting time to pass more easily than you may imagine is possible. 
Andy Velez

Offline CalDude63

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:46:28 pm »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your post and information about testing as well. I hope I come out clean. It would be devastating to have HIV at age 21.

Do you know the chance of an uncircumsized penis absorbing rectal secretions?

Also, I ejaculated inside of my partner; I don't know if that changes the risk of contracting HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:38:13 am »

but anal intercourse didn't last more than 2-3 minutes. Is that still considered brief?

Sweetie, yes, when you know men who can go for an hour or more, 2-3 minutes is brief indeed.

You were the insertive partner. This makes your risk low no matter how you cut it. I fully expect you to come out of this ok.

I hope I come out clean.

And you're still using that damn "clean" word. Knock it off.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline CalDude63

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 03:26:31 pm »
Wow, I am a huge idiot for using that word again. PLEASE forgive me. Will, henceforth, not use that word again.

I am about to head to the doctor to see what my results were when it comes to the other STD tests that were performed on me.

I vomited this morning as a result of taking Kaletra and Truvada. I read on some posts that there is a forum or thread of tips to alleviate its side effects, but have unable to find it. If someone could provide me the link, I'd be very grateful. Thank you, and my apologies once again.

Offline CalDude63

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 07:06:11 pm »
And I came back negative on all other STDs :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 07:58:43 am »
Cal,

You can learn more about the meds you're on in the Treatments pages.

You can learn how to deal with any nausea and vomiting in our Sick to Your Stomach lesson.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline CalDude63

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 10:40:09 pm »
Thank you for all of your help, Ann!

Now let's just cross our fingers and hope I test negative in six weeks.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 07:56:14 am »
Cal,

Six weeks? You've not been paying attention. (re-read my first reply to you where I explained the post-PEP testing window period, but I'll try again...)

If you continue to take the full 28 days of PEP, that extends your window period by four weeks. That includes counting for the six week test - it will actually be ten+ weeks after the incident, six weeks after PEP.

You could only test in six weeks if you hadn't started PEP. You haven't even been on PEP a full week yet. If you test in six weeks from now, you'll be testing too early.

You started PEP on the 26th of June, so your last dose of PEP will be on the 24th of July.

The earliest you should test after PEP is six weeks after your last dose of PEP. This means the earliest you should test is on the 4th of September.

With PEP, won't have your conclusive negative result until the 16th of October.

If you had NOT done PEP, you could have had a conclusive negative result on the 17th of September. (The 16th of September will be twelve weeks following the incident, but it's a Sunday.)

You really don't even need PEP and you're extending your window period for no good reason - but it's up to you whether or not you carry on taking it. If you do discontinue taking it before July 24th, you need to count your window period starting with the day you finish PEP.

Ann

edited for clarity - I hope
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 08:17:52 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline CalDude63

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 11:31:54 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, Ann.

My infectious disease doctor said six weeks, so that was what was stuck in my mind. Sorry.

Dang, 4th of September is such a long ways away--that's my entire summer ruined. I guess I have no choice but to take my medicines and wait.

Why is the testing window increased due to PEP?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 08:05:56 am »
Cal,

PEP works the same as any other antiretroviral - it stops the virus from replicating, thereby suppressing it. If the medication succeeds in suppressing the virus before it gets into certain "reservoirs" where it can hide from the meds, then the virus can be successfully eradicated from the body. This is why there is a time limit on initiating PEP and why the sooner PEP is initiated, the better.

If the virus manages to get into and hide in the reservoirs, that may still be enough to stimulate antibody production, but no one knows for sure. This is why the generally accepted testing window following PEP is three months post PEP.

When PEP is stopped where the virus has successfully hidden out in the reservoirs, the virus will begin to come back into the bloodstream and replicate, thereby stimulating a delayed antibody production. This is the accepted theory.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline CalDude63

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 09:11:50 pm »
Thank you, Ann. You're such a genius.

Today, there is something that has me a bit worried. I woke up with itchy palms and soles of my feet. I thought it was the onset of a rash, and I was right. My scalp and ears starting itching, my left arm got a few bumps, my upper chest area has bumps, and my face is red and a bit swollen, hot, and itchy.

I called my doctor, and she said that rash is often an uncommon side affect to Kaletra and Truvada. That has me worried that the rash is a sign that my body is developing HIV anti-bodies. What you all think? Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 06:28:10 am »
Cal,

The rash you're describing sounds exactly like the rash that some people develop to some of the hiv meds.

It does NOT sound like the rash that sometimes accompanies seroconversion. That rash is NOT itchy, nor is it raised or bumpy. If you didn't see it, you would have no idea it was there.

You need to be aware that a rash on the palms of the hands and/or soles of the feet can be a symptom of secondary syphilis. Perhaps you should test for syphilis. Syphilis shares a three month testing window with hiv for a conclusive negative result. You can start counting your syphilis window from the day of the incident. PEP will have no effect on syphilis or syphilis testing.

By the way, primary syphilis sores (called chancres) are painless, so if you got one where you couldn't/didn't see it, you would not know it was there.

Ann
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:29:41 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline CalDude63

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2012, 11:46:10 am »
Thank you, Ann.

My doctor did a full STD panel for which the results were negative, but, like you said, since syphilis has a window as well, I may have it. Specifically on my arms and the soles of my feet, I do not see any bumps, but they are itchy has heck and kind of burn if I put hot water on them.

However, this rash incident occurred all at once--yesterday--so I am banking of the fact that it is the meds. I see my Infectious Disease doctor again next week, so we shall see. Let's hope it is just the meds.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.