Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:04:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 338
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sustiva/Truvada  (Read 34284 times)

Offline Rob P

Sustiva/Truvada
« on: June 09, 2006, 05:17:48 am »
Just started treatment (2 days ago) using sustiva/truvada.  I've been reading lots about issues with sustiva side effects, but so far so good.  How long does it take to settle in before effects?   Maybe I'll get lucky and have no issues

Offline Tim Horn

Re: Sustiva/Truvada
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 06:42:40 am »
Rob:

I don't want to jinx things for you, but in most people who do experience the central nervous system side effects of Sustiva (e.g., dizziness, vivid dreams, altered moods), they usually arise the first night Sustiva is taken and can last three to four weeks.  If you haven't experienced these symptoms yet, it's possible that you won't ever experience them... and if you do, they may only be very mild in intensity. 

There is still a risk of rash with the Sustiva, which tends to arise in the first few weeks of therapy.  And as for Truvada, the tenofovir and emtricitabine in this fixed-dose combination tablet have pretty good track records, although it might be a good idea for your doctor to keep an eye on your kidney function (using a simple blood test) while you're on this product. 

Keep us posted!

Tim Horn

Offline Teresa

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 11:19:23 am »
My hubby has been on Sustiva/Truvada since may 24. So far the only symptoms he has had is a rash and was a little dizzy the first couple of days when he got up. He went to the dr  yesterday and they gave him a steroid shot and a prescription for zyrtec for his rash. He said that today the rash has already started to fade.

Hope you have the same luck(without the rash) that hubby has had on these meds.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Rob P

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 02:52:11 pm »
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all stays well.  I've read other posts regarding the side effects and appreciate everyone being honest and upfront regarding what to expect.  That had me concerned.  I'll keep an eye out for new rash, but glad Teresa's hubby is starting to clear.

Thanks for the info

Offline newone

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 05:39:55 pm »
I ve been on Sustiva and Truvada for nearly 6 months and the dizziness and depressed moods have never left me but in general I did not encounter any other major problems (I guess dizzy & depressed should be enough..)
Sustiva, Atripla, Complera, Stribild, Genvoya. Odefsey, Dovato.

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 06:21:22 pm »
I've been taking Sustiva and Truvada since February 2006 when I was diagnosed.  I do have dreams everynight, but not any nightmares.

Initially I felt off-balance, but now I've seem to have acclimated to it.   TG (thank God) I've not experienced any rash or other side-effects.  I've not missed a day of my medication.

I do seem to feel more fatigued then I used to feel - not as much energy as before taking the medicine.

It's hard because I really don't know anyone else in my area that has been diagnosed with HIV.  I know of some people via other friends, but have no other avenue to get feedback from other individuals.

I don't know when I was infected and thought my ex was monogamous - I later found out he was sleeping with a lot of people - I shouldn't have trusted him and blame myself for not being educated on the subject.  I assumed he was clean and that I was clean.

The good news is that my viral burden is decreasing and my CD4 is increasing.  I often think about the day when I won't be able to take care of myself.  I don't know what to do or where to turn, especially since I've not told my family.
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline Shawn Decker

• "Gee, Shawn!"
    • MY PET VIRUS
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 02:50:58 pm »
Hey Jordan,

Hang in there, everyone feels the sense of panic when thinking about the longterm future.  With access to good health, and being diagnosed these days, you're in a much better position to have a full life ahead of you.

As for the sustiva, I was on it for about 4 years.  The side effects made me feel spaced out, and I really have a hard time remembering the first year I was on it.  Emotionally, it was hard to pretend that I was excited about anything at all, but when you're numbers are good it's hard to complain.  That's how I felt.

Last year I switched from Sustiva/combivir to Truvada/reyetaz/ritonivir.  It's going good, but I take the pills before I go to bed and wake up feeling a little drugged out.  Mental fatigue, it seems, is the biggest obstacle I've faced with both sustiva in the past, and truvada now.
Shawn

Offline newchapter

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 09:37:46 pm »
I've been taking Truvada/Sustiva for 30 days now.  I was warned of the possible side effects prior to taking them.  What was described as possible nightmares was actucally more like wild hallucinations.  The hallucinations have subsided to dreams now.  I do feel fatigue mid day and often sweaty at night.  Also I'm up several times a night to pee.  I did have a 2 day lapse in my prescription cause I was unable to get to the pharmacy.  During this 2 day period of not taking my meds I felt better than ever!!  My high energy level had returned, I was clear headed, and I slept like a baby for 2 full nights.  I'm convinced that the loss of energy and problems with fatigue and other symptoms that I and many others face is due to the loss of getting a deep and restful sleep at night because of these meds.  I'm am told by my Dr. that it may take time for my body to adjust...... I certainly hope he's right.

Funny how something that is suppose to help you can make you feel so lousy.  Now I'm dreading the fat around the belly or skinny legs/arms that can also be a possible side effect.

I have also noticed that my hair is dry........just hope it stays in!

To better Health,
B.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 10:05:18 am by newchapter »

Offline Shawn Decker

• "Gee, Shawn!"
    • MY PET VIRUS
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 02:18:24 pm »
When I was on sustiva, that was the hardest thing: waking up exhausted.  I think the dreams are so vivid that your mind has been racing all night and it definitely takes a toll.  You don't exactly hop out of bed, throw on your slippers and shout, "The day is mine!"

If it's too bad, are there any other regimens your doctor could prescribe?  They all come with their own little tricks of the trade, but I know sustiva is one of the worst in terms of reputation for bad side effects.
Shawn

Offline TugaMan

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 05:47:23 pm »
I've been on Sustiva / Truvada since November 2005. No major side effects at all. After taking my meds, i fall asleep in 30/40 minutes, and wake up 6 or 7 hours after. I didn't sleep longer when I was neg so, no problem with that. I remember having some strange dreams during this period, but nothing too serious. Hope i can stay in this combination for many years....

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 06:07:46 am »
I've been on Sustiva since late September last year.  I think the worst that has ever occured was feeling off balance/drunk for a short while after taking it, and perhaps some funky dreams that I may or may not have had regardless of the Sustiva.  I have had a lot of mood swings/aggression/depression and I have been quick to blame all of that on the Sustiva, but to be honest, having been told you not only have HIV but AIDS, PCP and some other OIs, I would have experienced all those moods without the Sustiva.  It seemed like a good thing to blame though at the time.  I am one of those few who is happy to take that orange acid bomb, it works well for me, and hope it continues to do so for a long time.

Offline Shawn Decker

• "Gee, Shawn!"
    • MY PET VIRUS
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 04:02:06 pm »
Good point.  Sometimes I attribute negative personal traits to the side effects of the meds, too.  I just consider that to be one of the added perks of HIV meds, right alongside suppressing the VL and maintaining those T-cells.
Shawn

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 07:48:26 pm »
Boy what I wouldn't give for a good nights sleep. I have been on Sustiva/Truvada seems like forever. Sleepless nights,fatigue,continue to be a problem. The trade-off is consistently good numbers and I don't want to mess with that. If I wasn't such a chicken-shit I would try the 7/7 Shawn writes about in his blog.

Peace,
Hal

Offline Rob P

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 08:18:27 pm »
one week now and so far so good.    Discussed with my partner the bizare dream side effects and was reminded that most nights I dream in color, or wake from dreams anyway.  So, are these dreams Me, or meds?????  LOL  nothing too different, and glad the dreams are still in color.  I enjoy the show.   I must admit, a good 80% of my dreams have always been vivid and colorful.   Something about being a redhead I guess.   However, new issue is the "diaper rash" on my butt!!!!!!!!   looks like I got a good hand slap on my butt cheek, and this sucker itches, weeps onto my undies, etc.   hard to see, but definately a diaper rash.    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm   and I've not had any kinky play with butt slaps or anything.    side bar...bummer   but anyway.  hope the rash quits soon
THANKS all for the posts and replys .  Appreciate the support

Offline Shawn Decker

• "Gee, Shawn!"
    • MY PET VIRUS
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 02:19:32 pm »
I used to remember my dreams much more when I was on sustiva.  And that is a really vivid dream if you're waking up with spanking marks!
Shawn

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 03:15:45 pm »
For some people, especially those with pre-existing depression and other chemical imbalances, Sustiva does not begin to impact their psychology until four to six months after it's introduction. That's why it's extremely important that the patient maintain open and honest communication with the doctors and nurses, spouse, and support system.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 05:20:02 pm »
I'll echo what jonathan input.   I started sustiva/truvada a year and a half ago.   Starting out i had virtually no side effects except a bit of the drunken feeling.   Over time, the side effects seem to be manifesting themselves much more strongly for me.   Going from no dreams ever to having disturbing nightmares every night.   When i started, I used to wake up feeling ok.... now it's constant exhaustion and a struggle to get out of bed in the morning.  I also fit the profile of having other depression and chemical imbalances prior to starting the regimine.

It does work well in helping my numbers and suppressing my viral load.  I just don't have much of a life anymore because i'm too tired to do virtually anything after work is done (that's when i manage to actually get to work).   My quality of life is severly diminished from what it used to be by this fatigue and exhaustion and, for me, it's time to try something new.

I plan on dumping sustiva in place of something else more tolerable for me.  I'm a bit scared to 'mess with something that works', but i don't really want to feel like i do now and since i have options, I'm going to try something else
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 05:23:08 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline Rob P

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 07:43:08 pm »
OK, good to remember about possible delayed reactions to the meds.   The dreams are definately mine, not just med related, but the rash was a bit embarassing.......got to remember NO BUTT SCRATCHING in public!!!!!!   But at last, the rash is going away.  WHEW.  Feeling a bit tired though, going to bed before sunset?   LOL     

Is that the Sustiva or Truvada?   MMMMMMMM
Oh well, I'm taking my time, day by day and going with the flow.  If the numbers look good, then I might be fine.  So the jury is out for a bit.  Tonight I'm actually fighting to keep awake til 8pm.      Scarlette O'Hara with a mission....As God is my witness, I won't go to bed before dark    hehehehe

Keep in touch All.   I will too.

Offline jordan

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 07:46:52 pm »
Tonight I'm actually fighting to keep awake til 8pm.      Scarlette O'Hara with a mission....As God is my witness, I won't go to bed before dark    hehehehe

I also had a hard time staying away past 8pm when I first started....now I'm staying up much later like old times - I'm usually in bed about 10pm and I'm up at 5:10am.

I think it was a good month or two before I was back to 'normal.'

My only complaint is that which dingoboi mentioned - I feel exhausted and fatigued - I know it's from the medicine, because I had so much energy before.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 08:03:29 pm »
I clicked on news in the upper left hand corner(under lessons) and theres an article about Sustiva-Based Regimens.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 08:55:13 pm »
Wow, you made me feel a little better today!  Tomorrow I start Sustiva and Truvada for the very fist time... Scared and nervous about it. Wish me luck!

Wow I went throught the all the thread and I have beeen reading what you guys are say.... my last night of the real me.... the many changes that going to take place is scarying me.   Rod, I just want to say that you give me some hope that things will be okay just go with it.... thanks buddy!  max
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 12:12:38 am by OakMax1 »
Go with it and KEEP MOVIN!  Life is good today and I am glad to be here

Offline Rob P

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 04:01:02 am »
Greetings, Max:
knowing the possibilities keeps you prepared.  But, Expect the BEST with your tx.  Sometimes "stuff" happens, but taken with humor it's always much easier to smile.   Let us know how things go.   Be open with the doctor and your support group.  Let your friends know what the possibilities are so they keep an eye on you.  Maybe nothing!

Keep in touch, Max

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 09:43:15 am »
Thank you Rob, I will.  will come back tonight and tell you all what going on .... on my way to work and I thinking this will be the last day of cheering morning feeling great.... and what to come I don't know....... thanks Rob

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 08:09:04 pm »
Hey Rob,

Thanks for the reply.  I am just a little nervous about it and what possible side effects I will have.  I also worried about will I be able to work within the first few weeks?  I do want to be non-detected and my cd4 to go back up, and feeling better, which I happen to feel great right now.    Cd4 in low 200 and VL 37000  

I am not sure everyone will see this but " hey everyone HERE I GO- in a few hours... it five now... need dinner early so that I can take it on a empty stomach.   Not sure how the food situation going to go down.... I like to snack in the evening and I usually eat late... will have to change my habit (what do you all do). 

(Question)  I usually go to a gay event out of town on 4th of July.  Starting today, do you all think I should go or not go...or does it depends on what happening with me... it's a big gay weekend ...  I go every year at least for the last ten year.

I am so glad I found this place to talk to others and not feel kinda alone.   Thank you... max
« Last Edit: June 21, 2006, 08:16:42 pm by OakMax1 »

Offline jordan

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 08:57:05 pm »
I also worried about will I be able to work within the first few weeks?
I had no problem going to work or working - you can do it

I like to snack in the evening and I usually eat late...will have to change my habit (what do you all do). 
You won't have to change anything you are currently doing now - sometimes I take my pills with food, sometimes I don't

I usually go to a gay event out of town on 4th of July.  Starting today, do you all think I should go or not go.
Go - have fun.  However, if you do develop a rash and it hasn't cleared up by the Fourth you may not feel like going.

Offline newchapter

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 11:25:17 pm »
A few thoughts...

Well guys I have been experimenting like crazy since starting my meds......trying to get back to a "normal" routine.  I have found that eating a very low fat dinner early in the evening (before 7:00) and taking my meds at bedtime (between 10:00 and 11:00 for me) helps to alleviate the crazy dreams and makes for a more restfull sleep.  This in turn helps to cut down on the fatigue I was feeling mid day.  Most doctors agree that a fatty diet can cause problems with the meds.  So make lunch your main meal time.  Also, alcohol can cause issues as well.....so if you are going to drink, drink lightly and early in the evening.  I hope all this helps.

To Better Health,

B.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2006, 12:10:45 am »
echoing again the alcohol thing.... avoid alcohol at first.   It will have a much more pronounced effect in combination with the meds.   as in.. feeling much drunker, much faster.

don't drink and drive (i'm talking even social drinkers who maybe have 2 or 3 out during the whole night)

if you drink, practice at home a few times to see how severly it impacts you before going out in public and drinking (which can end up embarrassing... don't ask how i know that but i do)

Offline Tony

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2006, 12:33:42 am »
Hey,  I've been on these meds for awhile now and I have little to no side effects.  hang in there i my fist 6 months i was pretty dizzy and that has seem to be all gone now.  Vitamins supps have really helped.    Tony

Offline Rob P

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2006, 05:30:11 am »
I agree with Jordan, and the others.  I won't stop work, I won't change my routine.   Stick with the normal routine and change nothing.  If you're tired, take a nap.  This is just the start of a new chapter in your life Max.   If you feel up to it, go enjoy the events on the 4th if not, don't.  It's always up to you, my friend.  Don't dwell on the "what may happen" just live and enjoy life.  Keep in touch.

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2006, 09:16:47 am »
I love you all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Just woke up and I am not dizzy, nothing wrong with me..... wow I am cool...just a little light headed.....otherwise  like any other morning.... feel great sleep good... I got the day ahead of me...

Wow, wait for the on set of things .... to happen... but so far first day...NORMAL..... just wanted to let you all know how it went so far...

I am so glad I found this site....  off to WORK!!! YIPPY..... love my job

max

Jordan and Rob thanks for answering all questions     see you all this evening
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 09:52:08 am by OakMax1 »

Offline Tony

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2006, 12:40:00 pm »
I hear there is a new drug that you only take one tab and once a day coming out soon.  I believe its the same as Sustiva and Truvada  only in one pill.  Not a cure but,  only one dose.   Any one know?  Tony

Offline Teresa

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2006, 03:17:19 pm »
My hubbys dr told him about it..said it would probally be available in july or august..she wasnt sure but she did say that hubby would be on it and it would be so much easier to take one pill instead of 2.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06

Offline Rob P

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 04:51:00 pm »
I heard the same thing, Teresa.  As I was starting the two-pill regimen, Doc told me by Fall it would be a combo ONE PILL.

Here's a new issue for me, I've got a shooting pain going down my right leg and a new, raised rash at spots along my calf.  The bottom of my foot is WIERD, feels like I'm walking on blisters.  But, nothing shows on the bottom of foot. 
I'm waiting for a call back from the Dr. office

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this one?  Is it just my "old age" kicking in?

Offline Rob P

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 04:53:44 pm »
Max!

So glad to hear you're ok this morning.  And being light-headed is just like another day.   Still take care of yourself, tale it easy, and keep in touch wiith us all.
Remember, change is just change. 

We'll pulling for you buddy.

Offline Tony

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 05:49:11 pm »
I heard the same thing, Teresa.  As I was starting the two-pill regimen, Doc told me by Fall it would be a combo ONE PILL.

Here's a new issue for me, I've got a shooting pain going down my right leg and a new, raised rash at spots along my calf.  The bottom of my foot is WIERD, feels like I'm walking on blisters.  But, nothing shows on the bottom of foot. 
I'm waiting for a call back from the Dr. office

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of this one?  Is it just my "old age" kicking in?

Nothing like that here. Let us know

Offline Rob P

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 06:26:42 pm »
must be my goofy body being GOOFY

Offline OakMax1

Re: Sustiva/Truvada -- One Pill
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2006, 08:28:31 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Just in from work... what a day!!!  anyhow.. see atricle attach regarding sustiva/truvada in one pill.... saw this article  ...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jordan

Re: Sustiva/Truvada -- One Pill
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 08:33:30 pm »
Hey Everyone,

Just in from work... what a day!!!  anyhow.. see atricle attach regarding sustiva/truvada in one pill.... saw this article  ...

My doctor said that it should be available by October.  I'm hoping it's true.  I really don't have a problem taking both pills at once...but this would be more convenient.   8)

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 08:48:14 pm »
Hey All,

Not to bad of a day,  I just need to make a few modification to my life and go with it... Was doing fine until I sat down at my desk, was beginning to get sleep and tired... not sure what that was about... ... took a 15 min. break and took a nice long walk by my office and stop and pickup some yogurt.  My was balance was off and I was somewhat light headed ...like an uneasy walk... I have to admit I feel find right now....

I purposely ate a big lunch and will have something light in about an hour or two...   I can't believe I am  making this a part of my life..... wow!   

I can't wait until it just one pill, which would be great..  My doctor told me about it not to long ago..

Well.  think I am off to the gym or the park for a run.... how does that sound for my first day out..  ::)...  have a great evening you all... may come back later.... max
« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 08:51:16 pm by OakMax1 »

Offline Joel90069

• "Another turning point a fork stuck in the road."
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2006, 01:16:48 am »
I need some feedback. I've been on Truvada/ Sustiva for six weeks. The results have been very impressive; viral load, already undetectable, etc. I'm having a problem with concentration and depression however. I have a stressful job. Mood and thinking clearly are very important. I discussed it with my doctor today and he mentioned switching to Viramune. He claimed that the problems with concentration would've gone away by now if it was going to go away. I'm nervous about making a change with such good numbers. Is there a possibility Viramune won't work as well as Sustiva? Has anyone had similar experiences? Is it worth taking the risk? Is it better to do it early on as opposed to waiting a while to see what happens?

Offline cubbybear

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2006, 01:58:23 am »
Joel,

Your doctor isn't correct in saying the side effects of Sustiva should have gone after 6 weeks, that's a very general statement.  For some people, they persist longer, others dont get them at all, others have them come and go, and others have CNS side effects from Sustiva so bad they just can't take it anymore, and generally switch to Viramune or a PI.  Personally I think it's a great drug, and when it works, it works very well.  I have been on it for 9 months now, and despite the ocasional woozy feeling, I no longer have side effects.  I don't blame Sustiva for my depression or inability to concentrate at times, although it's a good excuse at times, I would be experiencing that even if I wasnt on meds, by trying to deal emotionally with having HIV.  For me I had to think about if my "side effects" were side effects of the medication, or "side effects" of dealing with HIV/AIDS.  I decided it was the latter.

If you can stick with that orange acid bomb, it will be a great drug and it really suppresses the virus well; however if you are really having trouble, then by all means switch to Viramune or a PI based combo.  For me, it took a lot longer than 6 weeks for the "side effects" to settle down, ultimately it's your call.

Cheers
Matt

Offline Rob P

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2006, 10:24:22 am »
hello, All.  well, on Thursday I mentioned a new rash and what felt like blisters on my right foot.  Spoke with the dr office, and Yeah!  I'm not nuts.
But, SHINGLES.  now my right leg throbs and burns, foot it proped up with an ice pack on the bottom of my foot.  Doc started me on new med and I sure hope it starts working soon.  Just glad I'm not crazy!  I'm not walking, but I'm not crazy either.

Never had shingles before but I'll keep you posted.  At least it's not side effect of sustiva/truvada

Offline Joel90069

• "Another turning point a fork stuck in the road."
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2006, 02:28:51 pm »
Thanks Cubbybear. I'm confident the concentration issues are Sustiva related. I'm having trouble with things that were never a problem before. I'm just having a hard time balancing risking the good results vs. having the fogginess clear up with the unknown effectiveness of another drug. I'm leaning toward holding off until my next doctor visit (September) and seeing if there is a change.

Offline newchapter

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2006, 12:42:28 am »
Yes....a new "single" pill is on the way. But one pill or ten doesn't make a difference to me.  My focus is on a cure!  We should all be active in helping to find a cure in any way we can.  Banning together and having sites such as this will help our voices to be heard!  So let's all get active!

To Better Health,

B.

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2006, 12:51:36 pm »
Here here, one pill is nice and all...but a cure is better.... until the goverment decide what more important beside war...Aids will always be on the back burner.... but for right now I'll take the two pills..... I am becoming more active in the fight of aids.....

Hey Rob, I hope you feel better...  Wednesday will be my first week on med... no real side effects so far... keeping my fingers crossed... have a great day... just checking in....
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 12:59:06 pm by OakMax1 »

Offline newchapter

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2006, 10:02:41 pm »
The latest news across the media prompts me to add to my previous statements!  I think the Gay community and persons with HIV need to rally around and cheer the extreme generosity of Mr. Warren Buffett with his stagering donation of $37 billion to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.  The Gates Foundation has 2 top priorities in the world...Education and a cure for AIDS.  It is going to take private citizens such as these individuals to lead the fight in finding a cure.  Our present administration has left our country finacially strapped. With the Buffett donation, the Gates Foundation now has $60.7 billion to help fight the cause.  The Gates Foundation has shown it's extremely effective in getting money to where it is needed most.  Let's hope this recent act of generosity will start a trend amongst the wealthy of the world and make giving the new "IN VOGUE" thing to do!

As I stated previously....we can all do our part in fighting the cause in whatever way we can.  It's easy to say that Warren Buffett, Bill and Melinda Gates are a inspiration and that we should acknowledge and thank them for stepping forward.  Knowing such individuals are present in the world will help me sleep a little better!

To Better Health,

B.

Offline OakMax1

« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2006, 02:35:10 am »
Many thanks to Warren Buffett and Bill Gates... it will be people like these who will bring about a cure... without the help of the goverment.... hopefully in this life time.

Offline LYFE

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2006, 01:07:20 am »
IM currently taking truvada and sustiva i feel drunk depressed and unsure of life i recently was diagnosed and i feel like i am in this world alone i have a boyfriend but i fee like he just with me i don't have anyone and didn't tell anyone my  daughters are Joy but i just cant wrap my fingers around this whole situation so the medication doesn't exactly help with my current battles i guess i should be happy right but I'm not i guess it will get better but i pray that it gets better

Offline Rob P

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2006, 08:00:00 am »
greetings, Lyfe.
Hang in there.  It will get better!  What you feel is very common, from the newly diagnosed depression to the new meds feeling.  It will take a while to get "comfortable" with your new life, but you will.  Don't fret the small stuff, just take care of YOU for now.  Feel very comforted that you have your daughters.   Keep up converstations with your boyfriend.   Talking and venting, and sharing your felings will help you ride out the initial fears.
Hang in there, Lyfe

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2006, 05:31:41 pm »
Lyfe,

it WILL get better for you, i promise you.  we're always going to have some obstacles placed in our paths, but you have overcome things in the past (no doubt) and you will do the same thing with this.

it may take some time to get your mind in a better place, after all it's quite a shock to deal with.  it's just one more part of this puzzle we're living.  don't forget your loved ones, and lean on the folks here when you need to.

everyone here has had some bad times...it's important to not shut yourself out of life.  when you feel that happening, take some time to make yourself happy with something you enjoy, or just type out your feelings right here on AM.

just remember to help someone else out who needs it when you get to that better place!   :D

John

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.