Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:26:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 133
Total: 135

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Nutrition, Wumpette Style  (Read 1636134 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Nutrition, Wumpette Style
« Reply #650 on: April 01, 2012, 12:18:09 am »
sugo di pomodoro = fresh tomato based sauce

pancetta = salt cured pork belly meat
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #651 on: April 01, 2012, 12:22:03 am »
pomodoro is tomato and pancetta is a type of bread I think? So basically he's eating spaghetti with some toast.

edit: I stand corrected he's eating spaghetti with pork belly.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #652 on: April 01, 2012, 12:24:45 am »
pomodoro is tomato and pancetta is a type of bread I think? So basically he's eating spaghetti with some toast.

I could have guessed better than that.

Speaking of spaghetti toast...did anyone ever eat Milk toast as a kid? It was bread stuck in a glasss of milk with sugar in it?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:28:13 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #653 on: April 01, 2012, 12:42:25 am »
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 12:52:13 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #654 on: April 01, 2012, 07:19:25 am »

So I googled that (had too) and got a picture of lemons. So whats up

I got this:
Fusilli con sugo di pomodoro e pancetta by realityfood, on Flickr

You may be surprised, but I actually know what Fusilli means, but what do all those other words mean?

fusilli con sugo di pomodoro e pancetta = fusilli with sugo I gave pomodoro and pancetta, according to http://www.freetranslation.com/ - if you first mistakenly think it's Spanish, as I did.

However, if you wise up and realise it's Italian, you get....

fusilli con sugo di pomodoro e pancetta = fusilli with juice of tomato and bacon.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #655 on: April 02, 2012, 07:47:04 pm »
^That actually looks disgusting.

Hey P, here's something for your fridge ...

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #656 on: April 02, 2012, 10:03:11 pm »

Hey P, here's something for your fridge ...

LOL

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #657 on: April 03, 2012, 09:05:54 am »

My thoughts exactly. It looks like some sort of intestinal parasite.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #658 on: April 03, 2012, 10:00:38 am »
That's not what mine looked like. I can't be responsible for anonymous photos found on flickr.

But there's not much reason to further the discussion when a Texan and resident of the Isle of Man consider pancetta to be just like English or American bacon simply because it's also made from pork belly.

Now excuse me while I hand brew some Ecuadorian El Gavilán organic coffee.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:04:45 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #659 on: April 03, 2012, 11:05:40 am »
Also, cocks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #660 on: April 03, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »

That's not what mine looked like. I can't be responsible for anonymous photos found on flickr.

We only have your word for that. Pictars or it was twenty times grosser.

But there's not much reason to further the discussion when a Texan and resident of the Isle of Man consider pancetta to be just like English or American bacon simply because it's also made from pork belly.

'Scuse me missy, but I know what pancetta is and yes, it's available in shops here and I buy it now and then as a treat (it's quite tasty - but expensive - stuff imported direct from Italy).

Don't shoot the messenger. I was only reporting - verbatim - how freetranslation.com translated pancetta. The only part of your pretentious fancy-ass food description I was unsure of was sugo di pomodoro.

Stick that in your food-processor and grind it.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #661 on: April 03, 2012, 12:53:02 pm »

Stick that in your food-processor and grind it.

I find a food mill to more effective than a food processor for making sugo di pomodoro.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:55:49 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #662 on: April 03, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »
Heh.

I just realised I missed replies #650 thru #653 when I posted yesterday - because I went to the last new post since I'd logged on the day before and didn't notice the thread had grown another new page.

Oh well, shit happens - as the photo I posted will attest.

I find a food mill to more effective than a food processor for making sugo di pomodoro.

Of course you would, Miss Pretentiousness Personified.

Now you know what I really mean when I call you Miss Pee Pee. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #663 on: April 03, 2012, 01:01:20 pm »

Of course you would, Miss Pretentiousness Personified.

Now you know what I really mean when I call you Miss Pee Pee. :)

I'm not sure why a simple $20 non-electric kitchen apparatus would be viewed as "pretentious" as opposed to an expensive food processor.

Do you have a banger stuck up your feces-encrusted bunghole today?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #664 on: April 03, 2012, 01:22:58 pm »
I'm not sure why a simple $20 non-electric kitchen apparatus would be viewed as "pretentious" as opposed to an expensive food processor.

Do you have a banger stuck up your feces-encrusted bunghole today?

Because only pretentious retro-queens go for food mills these days. Keep up!

As for your second comment, I've got two words for you.

I WISH!!!!!

;D

PS - I beg your Pretentiousness's pardon, but my bunghole is not feces encrusted, thankyouverymuch. I use moist toilet tissues, remember? My bunghole is as fresh as a spring morn after a refreshing April shower.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #665 on: April 03, 2012, 01:26:58 pm »
I use moist toilet tissues, remember? My bunghole is as fresh as a spring morn after a refreshing April shower.

O rite -- the ones you think are great for anal dysplasia even though the lesions are several centimeters up one's anus?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #666 on: April 03, 2012, 01:39:55 pm »
O rite -- the ones you think are great for anal dysplasia even though the lesions are several centimeters up one's anus?

Yep, those are the ones. It doesn't matter how far up your ass the lesions are - when they are dealt with, most people end up with a sore ass due to the doctor sticking a camera and/or various surgical/medical instruments up there. Well, most people end up with a sore ass to some extent - although yours may be so used to foreign objects that it's just another day for you. :)

Moist toilet tissues or baby wipes are good for a sore ass, regardless of the cause.

Like I said to you earlier - please do KEEP UP!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #667 on: April 03, 2012, 02:02:10 pm »
Yep, those are the ones. It doesn't matter how far up your ass the lesions are - when they are dealt with, most people end up with a sore ass due to the doctor sticking a camera and/or various surgical/medical instruments up there. Well, most people end up with a sore ass to some extent - although yours may be so used to foreign objects that it's just another day for you. :)

Moist toilet tissues or baby wipes are good for a sore ass, regardless of the cause.

Like I said to you earlier - please do KEEP UP!

Unlike you, Miss P has actually had anal dysplasia and had a lesion zapped with a laser. But the beauty of this forum is that folks are free to prattle on and on about things with which they have no direct experience. Like the use of a food mill.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #668 on: April 03, 2012, 02:09:22 pm »
Unlike you, Miss P has actually had anal dysplasia and had a lesion zapped with a laser. But the beauty of this forum is that folks are free to prattle on and on about things with which they have no direct experience. Like the use of a food mill.

Prattle indeed.

I do own and have used a food mill and I have had my anal cavity examined in a medical setting - although I didn't engage in both activities at the same time.

While I haven't had anal dysplasia, I have been internally examined for warts and I've had herpes in my nether regions for years - since back when you were probably forming your first crush in junior high. So don't pull the "lack of experience card" on me, Miss Pee Pee!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #669 on: April 03, 2012, 02:15:45 pm »
Clearly we need a 'Positive Men's' forum on this board.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #670 on: April 03, 2012, 09:02:26 pm »
Since we are now on the topic of Bungholes, I offer this....

You are welcome.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #671 on: April 04, 2012, 07:28:40 pm »
***BREAKING NEWS*** Taco Bell Cool Ranch Dritos Shell coming THIS SUMMER.

ps: I just google-mapped Taco Bell and had no idea that one existed at 901 Market Street in the heart of downtown Killadelphia.

There's also an area of the city where three separate Taco Bells exist within a five block radius.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:35:04 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #672 on: April 04, 2012, 08:01:47 pm »
***BREAKING NEWS*** Taco Bell Cool Ranch Dritos Shell coming THIS SUMMER.

LOL

In other, better, news...Here's the beginning of my "Salsa Garden", Tomatoes and Jalapenos. I bought 2 types of Tomatoes, one cherry and one Patio Tomato that does well in a large container. (I have a yard but im too lazy to dig).

Maybe Ill get around to planting them in large pots soon.

Arent they delighful!

Oh and look, there is already a tomato...
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #673 on: April 04, 2012, 09:05:11 pm »
Roma tomatoes make the best salsa, not those kind you have.

/fail

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #674 on: April 04, 2012, 09:55:53 pm »
Roma tomatoes make the best salsa, not those kind you have.

/fail

Jealous much?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #675 on: April 04, 2012, 10:10:24 pm »
Jealous much?

No, because I make excellent salsa. I don't have to grow tomatoes because I'm surrounded by farmer's markets instead of dried out, drought stricken sagebrush. When you really want to see God's Country I'll drive you out to Lancaster County (with a rental car, natch).

ps: do you own chef Mark Miller's seminal "Great Salsa Book" (1994)? If you don't, hunt down a used copy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #676 on: April 08, 2012, 12:21:36 am »
... must be Rev. Moon

Woman offers sex for dollar-menu cheeseburgers

A woman was arrested in a prostitution sting — but not before she got two double cheeseburgers off the dollar menu at a McDonald’s.

Christine Faith Baker, 47, was walking on a Southwest Florida street last Friday when she was approached by a detective working in the Manatee County Sheriff Office’s special investigations division, according to a sheriff’s office report.

After the undercover detective invited Baker into his car and the talk turned to sex, she said her fee would be two double cheeseburgers from the dollar menu at McDonald’s, the report states.

The detective bought the burgers for $2.75 and then Baker told him that he could also tip her $40 for her services, according to the report. After Baker gave the detective directions to a vacant lot, Baker was arrested by other agents and charged with prostitution, the report states.

Baker was released from jail on Saturday, according to the sheriff’s office website.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #677 on: April 08, 2012, 08:36:02 am »

... must be Rev. Moon

she was approached by a detective...

after the undercover detective invited Baker into his car...

was arrested by other agents and charged with prostitution.

Isn't that entrapment? I thought the sex worker had to approach the cop and offer sex for money up-front. Or is this another one of those Floridian laws like Stand Your Ground where who gives a fuck about justice?

Well, anyway, if it is the Rev as you postulate, I hope someone procures and delivers the bail money so that the Rev's emancipation may be attained in time for the Easter Egg Hunt. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #678 on: April 08, 2012, 11:21:09 am »
Rev doesn't give it up for anything less than a full combo meal.  Dollar menu is so passe.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #679 on: April 08, 2012, 09:51:55 pm »
... must be Rev. Moon

Woman offers sex for dollar-menu cheeseburgers

A woman was arrested in a prostitution sting — but not before she got two double cheeseburgers off the dollar menu at a McDonald’s.

Christine Faith Baker, 47

I cannot believe that they're going around saying that I'm 47!!  What do I look like, Willy Woompa or somebody?  Oh, and LaTrey is partially right: I go for the full combo.  They failed to mention the three blow jobs that I had to give in order to get me some chicken nuggets and two apple pies. 
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #680 on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:55 am »
I cannot believe that they're going around saying that I'm 47!!  What do I look like, Willy Woompa or somebody?  Oh, and LaTrey is partially right: I go for the full combo.  They failed to mention the three blow jobs that I had to give in order to get me some chicken nuggets and two apple pies.

Blowjobs are like the handshake of the gay community.  "Hi nice to meet you" -> Blowjob.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #681 on: April 10, 2012, 05:14:12 pm »
So, to my readers at large I must be emphatic that if you are an intense, snooty cheese lover that you attempt to located what has been my favorite cheese for past 3-4 months (not sure if I've mentioned it previously but whateves... tis one of those items that can't be discussed enough). It's kind of pricey but of such high quality it's worth it, and I've not known a single person to not rave about it once I turned them on to it.

It's called Harbison by Jasper Hills, a creamery located in Greensboro, Vermont and a leader in the revival of artisan cheese making in the US. It's a 3-6 week aged pasteurized cow's milk, with a divine bark wrapped bloomy rind.

So everyone needs to locate this superlative cheese and treat your guests at a dinner party preferably paired with Weyerbacher Vergoten or Hair of the Dob Blue dot.

PS: WHERE IS WUMPY -- WAS HE KIDNAPPED BY EL TACO?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #682 on: April 10, 2012, 08:16:06 pm »
COME ON! Can't we be #1 at ANYTHING anymore?

"The UK beats the US in Disgustin, Deadly Fast Food Arms Race"

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/09/the-uk-beats-us-in-disgusting-deadly-fast-food-arms-race/

That Pizza with Hotdog crust actually looks pretty darn good. Whos with me?

Edited to add: Come on America, we invented the Hotdog...and now we are going to sit back while the Limeys stick them in Pizza crusts? Where has our ambition and ingenuity gone?

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:20:16 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #683 on: April 12, 2012, 03:53:23 pm »

http://badassdigest.com/2012/04/09/the-uk-beats-us-in-disgusting-deadly-fast-food-arms-race/

That Pizza with Hotdog crust actually looks pretty darn good. Whos with me?

Edited to add: Come on America, we invented the Hotdog...and now we are going to sit back while the Limeys stick them in Pizza crusts? Where has our ambition and ingenuity gone?

Dude it has a mustard drizzle for FREE.  We are so fucked.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #684 on: April 12, 2012, 04:26:44 pm »

? Where has our ambition and ingenuity gone?

Take heart ... at least we still have our Campbell soup casseroles to be proud of .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #685 on: April 12, 2012, 05:50:25 pm »
3 words...

Tarocco Blood Oranges

you people need to run, not walk to your local specialty produce store and grab some of these.

They. Are. Amazing.

I've never tasted anything so sweet, they are like candy. I highly recommend them. I had to go to Central Market for them, Whole foods may have them as well.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #686 on: April 12, 2012, 06:29:58 pm »
3 words...

Tarocco Blood Oranges

you people need to run, not walk to your local specialty produce store and grab some of these.

They. Are. Amazing.

I've never tasted anything so sweet, they are like candy. I highly recommend them. I had to go to Central Market for them, Whole foods may have them as well.

-Will

Sorry hon,

Those are so 27 seconds ago.

It's all about...

don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #687 on: April 12, 2012, 07:10:13 pm »

Tarocco Blood Oranges

I should have known you were a Central Market queen.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #688 on: April 12, 2012, 07:25:34 pm »
I should have known you were a Central Market queen.

It's the little pleasures that make life great  ;D

but seriously,  have you seen the crappy produce they are trying to pawn off on people at the regular HEB's? It's a travesty. It's all tasteless crap from Mexico.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:27:51 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #689 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:26 am »
It's the little pleasures that make life great  ;D

but seriously,  have you seen the crappy produce they are trying to pawn off on people at the regular HEB's? It's a travesty. It's all tasteless crap from Mexico.

http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/thats-racist-mexican-gif.gif
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:35:27 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #690 on: April 13, 2012, 12:43:49 am »
http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/thats-racist-mexican-gif.gif

Hey, that used to be my avvy not too long ago.

Anyways, in honor of the fact that this is topic has now moved to #4 in the top ten (by replies --still a few hundred posts behind a certain "blog") here's a picture of a delicious and "healthy" bandeja paisa.  This one is from a so-called "fusion" Colombian restaurant in Brooklyn.  Notice the fried arepa and chicharrón. Sadly, they did not include one of its key components, the Spanish chorizo.

I'm sure that Philicia's had it once or twice before while hanging with my cha cha sisters.

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #691 on: April 13, 2012, 03:14:26 am »
Hey, that used to be my avvy not too long ago.

Anyways, in honor of the fact that this is topic has now moved to #4 in the top ten (by replies --still a few hundred posts behind a certain "blog") here's a picture of a delicious and "healthy" bandeja paisa.  This one is from a so-called "fusion" Colombian restaurant in Brooklyn.  Notice the fried arepa and chicharrón. Sadly, they did not include one of its key components, the Spanish chorizo.

I'm sure that Philicia's had it once or twice before while hanging with my cha cha sisters.

That looks delicious Rev!  :)

Other than the fried egg and the beans on the side, I don't think I can either recognise or properly pronounce any of the other foods on the plate though. lol ;D

I love Spanish Chorizo.

PS: What's that veg that looks somewhere between a banana and a pineapple?

Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #692 on: April 13, 2012, 08:29:35 am »

That's plantain, a type of banana that is cooked (often fried), rather than eaten raw.

I was wondering what the purple stuff is in the upper left. It looks like pickled red cabbage with a cilantro leaf on top. Am I close?

I agree that it all looks delicious - including the fried egg on top of the arepa - but what is that black stuff on top of the egg? It looks a little too chunky to be pepper.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #693 on: April 13, 2012, 08:53:23 am »
That's plantain, a type of banana that is cooked (often fried), rather than eaten raw.

I was wondering what the purple stuff is in the upper left. It looks like pickled red cabbage with a cilantro leaf on top. Am I close?

I agree that it all looks delicious - including the fried egg on top of the arepa - but what is that black stuff on top of the egg? It looks a little too chunky to be pepper.

Thanks Ann.  ;)

The purple stuff on the top left looks like beetroot.

And I'm sure that's freshly ground large peppercorns from one of those fancy pepper mill's on top of the egg.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #694 on: April 13, 2012, 09:35:00 am »

WOW  I know I couldn't eat all of that in one setting, I'd have to share that dish with someone else, that's a lotta FOOD on that plate  :o
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #695 on: April 13, 2012, 10:26:24 am »

Ann is correct, the traditional dish includes fried maduros (sweet plantains).  In this case, since it is a more refined (i.e. not so authentic) version of the dish they actually used fried yucca.

The purple stuff in this pictar is red cabbage indeed (with some beets quite likely).  And Space, as a good connoisseur of spicy delights, you would love the green stuff on the side called ají picante (made with peppers, onions, chilies, and a few other things).

The "real" version of this dish includes rice, morcilla (blood sausage), two versions of meat (steak and ground beef), and a big slice of avocado.  You top it off with a big bowl of mazamorra con bocadillo (guava paste) for dessert.  Once you finish this 6000 calorie fest you either sleep a big siesta, dance it off, or perhaps have a heart attack (if you're an out of shape Gringa). 

Here's a pic of one that's more authentic...

Dennis, it is all one meal.  I've never seen anyone sharing  :). And, interestingly enough you rarely ever see many overweight colombianas (Sofia Vergara and Shakira claim to love this stuff).  Of course, you only eat it on special occasions, otherwise you end as fit as up a Wumpette.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #696 on: April 13, 2012, 10:38:17 am »

The purple stuff in this pictar is red cabbage indeed (with some beets quite likely). 

I thought it might be. You can get pickled cabbage here that has been coloured with beetroot and usually has a few pieces of beetroot in amongst the cabbage, but it's primarily shredded cabbage.

Do I get extra points for identifying the cilantro? If not, I'll just go off into the corner and cry quietly for a moment.

The "real" version of the dish looks yummy too - except for the blood sausage. It's called black pudding here and I just can't stomach it. I suppose it's one of those foods that you have to be brought up with to appreciate.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #697 on: April 13, 2012, 10:51:35 am »

Do I get extra points for identifying the cilantro? If not, I'll just go off into the corner and cry quietly for a moment.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #698 on: April 13, 2012, 11:39:01 am »

Aw, I feel better now for seeing a pictar of a learned kitteh, even if he is a sar-cat-stick little SOB. :D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #699 on: April 13, 2012, 12:52:31 pm »
The original dish looks yummy! A ginormous portion though.

- except for the blood sausage. It's called black pudding here and I just can't stomach it. I suppose it's one of those foods that you have to be brought up with to appreciate.

I don't really mind it.  I've only tried it maybe 2-3 times in my life.

I imgaine the thought of eating congealed pig blood can be quite off-putting to a lot of people.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:54:53 pm by spacebarsux »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.