Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 03:14:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37672
  • Latest: Stupy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773436
  • Total Topics: 66364
  • Online Today: 322
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 237
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral...I know! bt please help!  (Read 6717 times)

Offline shouldi?

Oral...I know! bt please help!
« on: December 17, 2009, 07:46:19 am »
My concern stems from an episode of oral sex and i know i was conclusively negative before this. I've been worried before and i'm going down the same path :(

I was reassured that oral sex is a very low risk activity by my health advisor at the sexual health clinic, especially as there was only pre ejaculate involved. All seemed well and I started to feel better.

I had unprotected oral sex with pre ejaculate involved with a guy i met randomly as i saw this as low risk, i've since been convinced again that im now going to potentially test positive as if he was positive im very high risk even with pre cum. The general condition of my mouth is ok, no major cuts or ulcers, i will admit to little cuts where i bite the inside of my bottom lip when im stressed but these were healing over with that "new skin" you get in your mouth so not bleeding at the time

I just need some useful information, (honest info) thrown at me so i can rationalise this. Has anyone ever been confirmed to have been infected with HIV by performing unprotected oral sex on a male with only pre ejaculate involved. Thankyou

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Oral...I know! bt please help!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:59:16 am »
From time to time we hear of someone who tests positive and insists their only risk was giving oral. Under careful scrutiny those claims never seem to hold up. Can I say there has never been a case of transmission in that manner? No. But given the fact that oral sex is one of the most common of activities, if it was a real risk we would have know that long before today.

What we do know for sure is that your saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which are ver effective in preventing the transmission of viable HIV.

Secondly, there are longterm ongoing studies of sero-dyscordant couples, both gay and straight. There was lots of mutual unprotected oral sex and only protected vaginal and anal intercourse. To date not a single sero-negative partner has become infected.

Finally, anytime you have sex other than with your own hand there is potentially risk. So ultimately you have to decide what level of risk you are prepared to accept and act accordingly.
Andy Velez

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 09:20:21 am »
So its not something that is commonly resulting in testing positive? I just dont want to let my self spiral into worry if its really only theoretical and not heard of in real life.

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 09:51:15 am »
Hello?

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:59:08 am »
Am i being a danger to myself as far as hiv is concerned quite honestly is my question or is it now the consensus tht despite and theoretical risk oral sex is safe??

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:02:42 am »
Yes, I would say that generally giving oral is regarded as minimal to non-risk. But as I said to you previously, you ultimately have to decide for yourself about what level of risk you are willing to accept.

That's your decision to make, not mine.

Andy Velez

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 10:27:10 am »
Yes i know but i would like that decision to be an informed one, which obviously requires knowledge from someone who knows the REAL risks not the ones you read on the internet with no science behind them. My health advisor told me to not worry as shes never seen one person with my exposure test positive and i shant be the first, as well as never heard any convincing cases of it either. Im basically looking for more than one informed persons opinion in order to MAKE that decision!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 10:52:53 am »
I've given you the basic information. Personally I don't consider giving oral to be a rsik UNLESS the giver has very poor oral care and/or a very fresh mouth wound.

If that doesn't satisfy you then I would suggest that perhaps you ought to talk with a counselor or other professional to sort out your fears. There really isn't anything more I can say to you about this subject. 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 11:00:40 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 03:10:42 pm »
With regards to the one poz one negative studies with over 20k episodes of unprotected oral sex, were all of these couples those with TINY viral loads or was that not a factor? I think its hard to sit and read "These studies show how little risk oral sex is..." If the positive partner had low or undetectable viral loads....

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 04:02:09 pm »
There were all kinds of variations among those participating in the studies.

Frankly, I'm close to done here on this subject. We just may not be able to give you either the answers or the solid comfort you want about this concern of yours.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 04:06:31 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 04:57:31 pm »
Well you've reinforced what i have been told I thought....obviously its irritating to you that I have different questions to ask all aimed at helping me stay calm. So I shan't ask anymore! I thought thats what this forum was here for!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 05:22:37 pm »
We are not here to keep you calm, we are here to give you the facts. If the facts aren't enough I suggest you seek one on one professional help.

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 05:35:34 pm »
I believe in a bit of compassion when someone is concerned, I know im miles off being the first and will never be the last to ask the oral debate question but there is more than one question in my thread that keeps getting brought back to one thing with no grounding or providing any evidence in what is being suggested, do you not believe any of the people on the i just tested poz, section, who say they contracted hiv from oral sex...?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 05:36:47 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 05:44:04 pm »
Well blanketed over.!

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 06:00:15 pm »
Oh...and EVEN this site says contracting hiv from oral sex is possible...........http://www.poz.com/archive/2008_Mar_2168.shtml

Fills me with confidence!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 06:56:22 pm »
http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/9119DA7D-74C3-4E96-B2B2-75EC08394FD8.asp

In June 2002, a study conducted amongst 135 HIV negative Spanish heterosexuals, who were in a sexual relationship with a person who was HIV positive, reported that over 19,000 instances of unprotected oral sex had not led to any cases of HIV transmission. The study also looked at contributing factors that could affect the potential transmission of HIV through oral sex.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:59:43 pm by RapidRod »

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2009, 07:13:42 pm »
Any idea why this website isnt following these studies findings then?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009, 07:17:16 pm »
We do. How many times do you have to be told that you didn't have a risk. Now if you want to keep going into the "I Just Tested Poz" forum fine but don't bring your anxiety back to this forum.

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 07:19:38 pm »
No, I didn't mean anxiety from there at all, if you, presuming you see this forum in the exact same layout as i do...hover over prevention, how is hiv transmitted, and read the first paragraph, you will see it says oral sex IS a risk...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 07:23:41 pm »
We're done with this discussion. You were given the facts, which are scientific studies and you want to discard them for peer review that is your prerogative, but we are done with this discussion.

Offline shouldi?

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2009, 07:26:56 pm »
Someone is responsible for posting GUIDELINES on transmission on the SAME site as you guys saying it is NOT a risk, communicate and then perhaps people like me wont become so confused! You see conflicts of information on seperate websites, and i spose you can take that on board but to then see it on a website where people are posting one thing and someone else has said another is stupid. Maybe now i've pointed it out it will be UPDATED with the scientific studies you have shown me!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 05:51:29 am »
Should,

You need to read the AIDSmeds Transmission Lesson that is linked to in this forum's Welcome thread. POZ.com and AIDSmeds.com used to be two different sites and the page you linked to is part of POZ. These forums are part of AIDSmeds. I'll have to speak to someone about the misleadingly brief information on the POZ page.

The AIDSmeds lesson will tell you the same thing we have - studies have shown oral transmission to be strictly theoretical with no oral transmissions occurring in the controlled study setting. And as Andy already pointed out to you, not all of the study participants were on meds and undetectable.

There's nothing more we can tell you on this subject. If you continue to come back with more of the same, you WILL be given that time out you've been warned about.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 06:01:38 pm »
Should,

Because you attempted to create a new account to get around your time out warning, I'm giving that time out. If you attempt to create a new account again, you will be permanently banned. You're lucky I'm not permanently banning you right now.

Ann
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:03:44 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.