Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:31:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 296
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 290
Total: 290

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: If you threw me into the pool . . .  (Read 6508 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
If you threw me into the pool . . .
« on: February 23, 2012, 12:02:08 am »
I would probably make an oil slick.

It seems, my best efforts at diet and exercise, coupled with enough fish oil to cause gill growth, have been for naught.

My lipids are basically unchanged, according to the results I received today.

Overall cholesterol: 206 (down a bit from 220, but still above the magic 200).

LDL cholesterol: 140 (the doctor would like it below 100).

HDL cholesterol: 34 (the doctor would like it above 40 at the least, above 50 would be better.)

Triglycerides: 162 (these have been on the increase, for some reason. They were 140 last time.)

Oh, and of course:

CPK: 668 (They are supposed be no higher than 170, but I can't remember how long it has been since they were that low.)

{{{{{SIGH}}}}}}

The doctor and I sat down in his office and reviewed my lipids over the past several years. He can pull up each type of result and show them over a long period of time. Quite handy.

Aside from a few blips when my numbers were either very good or very bad, my lipids have been pretty constant ever since the last time I could take statins.

The doctor said this is probably as good as it is going to get. He sighed too. :'(

He did try to cheer me up by asking me to think of how bad the lipids would be if I weren't diligent with my diet and exercise.

The doctor said he had heard there is a drug in the works that may increase HDL levels, which would help. But he isn't sure how long that will take to be approved.

I am still taking Niaspan, but the doctor said from what he has been reading, it isn't as effective as once believed. He takes it as well.

So, I guess it is status quo for the time being. I am not sure what else I can cut out of the diet, but it was suggested I keep a food diary to see what I actually eat for a few weeks. It might be easier to make changes then.

There isn't anything I can do about the CPKs except live with the muscle aches and cramping. I am going to try drinking quinine, which, of course, I have to get in tonic water because they don't sell it by itself any longer.

Hmmm, maybe I should break out the gin. It won't make the tonic water any more effective, but it will make drinking it more fun.  8)

Onward and upward, comrades.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 11:28:54 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline wolfter

Re: If you threw me into the pool . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:03 am »
It's probably a long shot, but did you ever have your lipids tested prior to HIV?  What about other close family members, do they have a problem with this issue?

It is my understanding that this condition can be inherited.  Within my own family, all 3 of my siblings also have horrible lipids although they don't seem concerned.  We all had total cholesterol in the upper 400's and I'm the only one who worked on reducing mine.  After 2 heart attacks, angioplasty and stints I might add.

Take care and best wishes buddy

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:20:03 am »
Oh Mark, I'd never throw you into the pool, unless you could swim  :D
I'm kinda in the same boat as you (aint old age fun)  :P hey it could be
a lot worse, you could have heart disease or stroke out, and if you
survive any of this, you'd be on lasix for the rest of you life  :-[

Cheer up dear, it's not all that bad, hell I look worse on paper than I do in person just ask my ASO-Case-Manager  down on Truman St. ;)

HUGS

Dennis in ABQ
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline aztecan

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 11:34:21 am »
It's probably a long shot, but did you ever have your lipids tested prior to HIV?  What about other close family members, do they have a problem with this issue?

It is my understanding that this condition can be inherited.  Within my own family, all 3 of my siblings also have horrible lipids although they don't seem concerned.  We all had total cholesterol in the upper 400's and I'm the only one who worked on reducing mine.  After 2 heart attacks, angioplasty and stints I might add.

Take care and best wishes buddy

Wolfie

Hey Wolfie,

Yes, that is what we talked about yesterday as well. My father had an issue with cholesterol and my mother is on Lipitor, so a part of it is probably hereditary. Also, the ARVs, bless them, also contribute to this.

When I switched to Isentress from Lexiva, my lipids dropped like a rock. I thought I was home free.

But, as often happens, once the ol' bod had a chance to get things back in balance, they climbed to where they are now. It didn't take too long, either.

We didn't worry about lipids when I was on Crixivan. I can just imagine what that do my "grease" levels. ;)

HUGS,

Mark

Offline aztecan

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:36:23 am »
Oh Mark, I'd never throw you into the pool, unless you could swim  :D
I'm kinda in the same boat as you (aint old age fun)  :P hey it could be
a lot worse, you could have heart disease or stroke out, and if you
survive any of this, you'd be on lasix for the rest of you life  :-[

Cheer up dear, it's not all that bad, hell I look worse on paper than I do in person just ask my ASO-Case-Manager  down on Truman St. ;)

HUGS

Dennis in ABQ

I know, on paper I probably look like I'm a gonner, but in real life, well, not too dead yet.  ;D

HUGS,

Mark

Offline denb45

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:47:42 am »
I know, on paper I probably look like I'm a gonner, but in real life, well, not too dead yet.  ;D

HUGS,

Mark

Nonsense, you look marvelous for your age darling  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 01:58:07 pm »
This really sucks, honey.   I wish there was something more you could do, but it seems that you have done everything (and then some) humanly possible.

Sending you love and all the positive energy I can muster....

HUGS, Alan  :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 03:41:44 pm »
Bugger it.

lots off love Mark

michael
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 09:22:04 pm »
Your numbers do not look that bad to me.
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Offline aztecan

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 11:34:39 pm »
Your numbers do not look that bad to me.

Well, they're not horrible, but not great. The combination of my age, my more than two decades of living with HIV, and my 32 years of being a smoker are contributing factors. Oh, and the family history of cardiac problems.
So, the lower the better, and I can't take statins.

But, if I managed to survive 11 years on Crixivan, 13 years on AZT and Ronald Reagan, I think that makes me a tough old queen. ;)

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 06:18:22 am »
we would be having a Pool Party with the B52,s playing, bright sunshine,bright colours,bright men and men and women and drinks with lots off ice, fragrant homemade ciggies............
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline bear60

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 12:42:33 pm »
I wish I had a pool to throw you into.  Maybe if you come to Philly we can throw you in the Delaware River.  Its already oil slicked.
Congrats on yet another year of being a big-ole-survivor
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50:28 pm »

But, if I managed to survive 11 years on Crixivan, 13 years on AZT and Ronald Reagan, I think that makes me a tough old queen. ;)

HUGS,

Mark

Most of us LTS are tough old queens, we wouldn't still be here if we weren't  ;D

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 08:15:40 pm »
Can't really complain about my cholesterol...last time it was 110 overall, 107 time before that. I don't know if you'd like to try an experiment...but here's my diet.

Monday - Friday
Breakfast - 1/4 cantaloupe with grapes, some Ritz crackers - 8oz protein drink
Lunch - Chix Quesa - different place each day so innards change
Dinner - whole Chix breast sautéed in lemon juice, a cut up apple, a 5oz chocolate yogurt, 8oz protein drink

Saturday-Sunday
Breakfast - two 5oz chocolate yogurts or 1/4 cantaloupe - 8oz protein drink
Lunch - generally skip but, will have a plain burger...no fries...if I do eat something.
Dinner - whole Chix breast sautéed in lemon juice, spinach or baby greens salad with olive oil based mustard vinaigrette, 5oz chocolate yogurt, 8oz protein drink.

I will have a homemade cookie once in a while or a hot chocolate on the weekend. But other than the protein drink I mainly drink water. Got rid of all white sugar...don't use fake stuff. Do use some salt on chix and in vinaigrette.

I think that's it. Don't know if it would make a difference for you but if it did then I'd know it was my diet that was keeping everything low and not genetics. If you have any questions...ask away.

Best of luck...
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 11:30:01 am »
Mark,

You've worked very, very hard on your lipids -- harder than anyone I've known.  I don't think I'd have the discipline to stick to the diet you've followed.  I can only imagine how frustrating this is for you.  Still, you are doing all the right things, so just keep doing them.  As for the CPKs, adding some gin to that tonic certainly makes sense to me -- don't worry, in Washington DC your fellow AMGers will be sure that you get plenty of "treatment".   8)

Hugs,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.