Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:25:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773226
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 247
Total: 248

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recently tested POZ, initial blood work worries me  (Read 3482 times)

Offline NOLApoz

Recently tested POZ, initial blood work worries me
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:18:26 am »
I recently tested + and have been in a whirlwind since. I believe I contracted it at the beginning of March and I got the typical flu symptoms about 2 weeks afterwards. The symptoms and circumstances scared me and so I went to get tested. The results were devastating but fortunately I have had great help from the people with NOAIDS in New Orleans.

I have had my initial blood work done but don't see my doctor until 6-2. I have read the results online and although I don't understand all of it, I was surprised to see that my CD4 count was 302. My vl is 86,780. Based off of what I have read and been told, I was expecting my vl to be high and my CD4 to be in the 4-500 range. Is this considered low or unusual for just contracting the virus? I have seen others on here with CD4's with 2 digits so I know I don't have it nearly as bad as some but it still has me worried. I know I really shouldn't worry too much until I've spoken with my doctor but I'm curious as to how normal this is. Just looking for peace of mind.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Recently tested POZ, initial blood work worries me
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:57:19 am »
Hey welcome to the forum.
Something I learned in my experience, and then from several years reading others here, is that there isn't much of a "normal" for CD4 numbers after seroconversion.
Most people dont know what their CD4 was before HIV infection. So there's no way to know if you came down from 500, 800, 1000, 1500.  etc.
What is really important to get your head around is that HIV treatment is available and is great and if you and your doc decide to start now your infection will be cut down to the reservoirs only.  Your CD4s will go back to something - but you won't know for some time what sort of long range CD4s you will have.  Maybe 500, maybe more. Some HIV people on treatment bounce to a certain acceptable level, and then low and behold, 5 years later, there is another leap. Other people have CD4s that make a dramatic bounce after starting therapy. And others, its a slow rise...
You won't find peace of mind if anyone says your numbers are normal because its sort of meaningless. Your numbers aren't catastrophic.  The peace of mind comes from knowing that treatment works, and that many doctors predict a good long healthy lifespan for people on treatment. Especially those on treatment early.  Which will be your case, if you have only been HIV+ a few months.  Your health will be OK. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:03:52 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 08:22:32 pm »
Ditto to what Mecch said about no normal numbers.

The CDC recently added a stage 0, to HIV infection for those known to have converted in the last 6 months.  This is because your CD4 count can take a nosedive, then bounce back up to near normal for you, then begin the decline over time, so initial low numbers aren't taken to mean anything in this case until 6 months have passed.

Offline NOLApoz

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:10:18 am »
Thanks! I do feel better about things and slowly coming to peace with my situation. I think once I finally talk to a doctor things will be better.

Offline LostChild89

• The sweetest thing I've ever known...
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 12:25:30 am »
You will. And over time everything will slowly make sense. The biggest key I'm learning is to take your time, process it, and move slowly. Lastly, realize that you had it for X amount of time, so there is a strong chance that you have lived with it without knowing (basically meaning that it did't kill you, so now that you know it WONT take you down without a FIGHT!).

Lastly, NOAIDS NOLA is one of the best organizations in the city! Get involved with the programs and the social groups. I know of a couple, like Me + You, that help you get connected to people who know whats going on and could care less. It helps to have people understand but not treat you like you think you should or will be treated. If that made any sense.

Much love to ya in the 504!
Exposure June 2012
1st Poz Test 2/3/14
Diagnosed 2/12/14

2/13/14 CD4 1066 VL 765 35%
6/20/14 CD4 852  VL 15552 34%
9/24/14 CD4 787 VL 1764 34%
10/22/14 Started Triumeq
12/18/14 CD4 1114 VL UD 40%
06/26/17 CD4 1398 VL UD 45%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.