Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:52:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 352
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Could I be infected?  (Read 7742 times)

Offline worried7

Could I be infected?
« on: January 10, 2009, 04:17:29 pm »
Hi everyone, I have been here a couple of years ago and you guys have helped me a lot. I appreciate everything you do here.

I am a heterosexual male, had sex 12 hours ago with a friend , she is a divorced Caucasian female who is not promiscuous as far as I know. I used a condom however I didn't have lube so I was regularly pulling out and in between changing positions I was checking the condom and putting some saliva to help lubricate. When we were like in doggy position I felt something was wrong (like I can feel things more), so I pulled out and found out the condom has broken and the head of my penis was exposed. I immediately went to the shower and washed thoroughly with water and soap and didn't continue the intercourse. I would say may be I was there with the condom broken briefly, around a minute, may be a little bit more or less.

I asked her before we did anything and she said she always uses condoms, and as a matter of fact I saw condoms in her pierce last week. she said since her ex husband never had unprotected sex and that was in 2000. she told me that the last time she had sex (and it was protected was in july 08) and she got tested in november 08 with her ob/gyn and everything is ok. she even said she will bring me the papers later today to show me since she saw I was concerned.

I saw that on medhelp they analyze probabilities not only based on the exposure, but the circumstances (where u r , the kind of person u were with etccc...)

I know I will have to get tested at the 13 weeks point at least to assure myself because I will lose sleep over this and the anxiety is already kicking in. My most important question is it has been 12 hours, do nI need PEP? and if she brings in her test results from Nov 08 assuming she didn't lie and the last time she had sex was in July of 08 , can I just put this behind my back? please advice and thanks to all of u for ur great work.

By the way, I do volunteer work for my local AIDS network, and this month  am working on a fund raise for my local AIDS network.

Offline worried7

I forgot to mention, it was Vaginal intercourse. Thanks

Offline RapidRod

If you work for an Aids Network then why are you on MedHelp and here asking questions and why is it you don't know the answers?

Offline worried7

I didn't ask questions on medhelp Rapid, I was just reading through the archives to figure out if I needed PEP and I don't feel comfortable asking someone I know personally, that's why. Plus I do volunteer work I don't technically work for my local AIDS network. Now can u help answer my concern please?

Offline RapidRod

If the source is not known to be positive I would doubt that you can find a physican that would give you PEP. Call your doctor and ask.

Offline worried7

I don't have a doctor right now and I don't have insurance either.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
The condom protected you until it broke. HIV is a fragile virus and significantly more difficult to transmit from female to male. Given this was a single and brief possible exposure, (you don't even know that the woman is HIV+), I definitely don't see a need to do PEP.

I do recommend that you get tested at 13 weeks just to ease your mind. You can even do a prelimenary test at 6 weeks, by which time all but the very smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so.

But honestly, even though I appreciate your concern, I don't see this as a situation which warrants doing PEP. Ultimately of course it's your decision to make, but that's how I see it.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline worried7

Thanks Mr. Velez. Thats why I am here coz I wasn't sure I needed PEP. so u don't think I should lose sleep over this?  and I don't need PEP? she is actually here so I will ask to see her test results just to try and ease my mind till I get tested. I don't wanna sound rude to her but she said she would show me!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Thanks Mr. Velez. Thats why I am here coz I wasn't sure I needed PEP. so u don't think I should lose sleep over this?  and I don't need PEP? she is actually here so I will ask to see her test results just to try and ease my mind till I get tested. I don't wanna sound rude to her but she said she would show me!

Well, I never consider someone else's test result to be a final answer for oneself. She would be well within her rights to sod off even though I can appreciate your concerns.

And no, I don't see a need for PEP. Of course very, very low risk is not the same as no risk, so good sense dictates to get tested at 13 weeks just to be sure. And I certainly expect you will test negative so it's just for your peace of mind.

Good luck with your test and share the good news with us when you get it.

Andy Velez

Offline worried7

Thanks for the information and the reassurance Mr. Velez, I will get tested at the 13 weeks mark and I will share my results with u. I appreciate everything you guys do here. :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
You're welcome. And during the waiting weeks get busy with other things and you'll find it will help the time to pass much more quickly.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline worried7

Could I be infected?
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 04:48:47 pm »
Hello again everyone, I am not sure how to open my old thread and ask the question there so I started a new one. Last time I was here (6 months ago), was to assess my risk after a brief broken condom during vaginal intercourse with a friend, I was the insertive partner.  I have not gotten tested based on the fact that everyone told me not to worry about it. A few weeks ago I started having pimples in my pubic area and base of penis and they are not painful, from what I saw online they look like molluscum contagiousum. I freaked out coz they said window period can be up to 6 months which is around the time I had the failed condom incidence (it was January of 2009). I make an appointment to see a doctor after I tried an online product and failed, I just relocated and started a new job and now i have health coverage.. I started noticing pimples on my forehead, I am not sure if they are molluscum or not coz they are still small, however from my research on the internet I learned that molluscum on the face is a sign of advanced HIV disease, since then I freaked out and got depressed, I stopped eating and didnt go to work and I dont know what to do. The pimples on my forehead could be from hairspray or sthg which I use alot but I am wondering if they will spread and develop into molluscum contagiousum and this will be the end of my life. Please advice and sorry for bothering u again...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Could I be infected?
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 05:53:20 pm »
Worried,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

The window period for hiv testing is THREE months, not six.

ANYONE can get molluscum, not just people with hiv. You don't even know if you have molluscum - if you're worried, stop diagnosing yourself and see your doctor about your "pimples". We cannot diagnose your spots for you and NEITHER CAN YOU. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv.

I've yet to see the insertive partner (that's you) end up hiv positive following a one-time condom break. You're not going to be the first. Go test and collect your negative result for your peace of mind and get it over with.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worried7

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 05:57:50 pm »
Ann, thank you so much for your reply, You were always there for me when I needed help. It is just I have never had these molluscum before and they are on the base of my penis, plus i found out a lot of pimples in my buttocks and back of thigh area not molluscum but regular pimples that come from sweating, u really think with all that I will be ok? I haven't eaten in days and haven't gone to work and I finally was able to make an appointment tomorrow with a GP but the test results  will probably take days and I don't know if I should go and get a rapid test rather or u think I will be ok. Please advice, do u really think there is a chance after all I have mentioned that I am HIV negative? Thanks again and sorry to be such a whiner  :'(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 06:01:43 pm »
Worried,

There's very little chance you've been infected. Yes, I do fully expect you to test negative. Whether you test at the doctor or at a testing center is up to you - the result will be the same. If you see a doctor, ask him about the bumps at the base of your penis. They could be anything. Only your doctor can tell you what they are and only after s/he has a look.

Once again, I fully expect you to test negative. Now go get it done so you can put this behind you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worried7

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 06:03:38 pm »
Thank you for ur reply Ann, I will get tested and let you know the results of my test as soon as I know. Have a good night.... :-\

Offline worried7

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 06:16:07 pm »
Andy, do you have any advice for me?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 07:24:21 pm »
I don't have anything to add to what Ann had told you. Get tested and collect what we expect will be negative result.

Andy Velez

Offline worried7

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 07:38:22 pm »
Thanks Andy, so u r saying u r expect negative results but they could be positive? or u r pretty sure it is negative? Has anyone with a similar exposure tested positive? I have always used condoms with a lot of lube from start to finish with no exceptions, except for that brief exposure when the condom failed! sorry to be such a pain!  :-[
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:47:37 pm by worried7 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 08:47:16 pm »
Worried,

Andy's saying the same thing I am. We BOTH fully expect you to test negative.

Just get tested and get it over with already. You won't be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about getting tested. Just go do it!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried7

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 08:57:25 pm »
Ok I will, sorry  :-X

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 09:07:30 pm »
Worried,

When you mentioned in your first post that you'd been here before, I assumed you meant back when we had different forum software. Everyone had to re-register when we got the new forums.

However, I've just discovered that not only have you been here in THIS CURRENT forum before, but you've also been warned about creating new accounts in this post in this thread.

And don't even bother whining and pretending that it's not you in all three accounts - I can prove, without doubt, that it's you.

We take multiple accounts very seriously here. It's a bannable offence. It might take us awhile to catch up with multiple account offenders, but when we do, we BAN.

Judging by your previous posts here, I think it's high time you sought counseling to help you with your hiv paranoia. We cannot help you with that here.

You've burned your bridges here. You are permanently banned.

Ann

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 05:16:12 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.