Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:03:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 229
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: U.S. to screen visitors for HIV status by checking pink papers  (Read 26879 times)

Offline Iggy

The European Commission quietly approved an agreement this Monday which gives the US Department of Homeland Security unprecedented access to the personal information of anyone on a transatlantic flight, including details of their sexual orientation.

The DHS insists on the right to use the information for disease control, and there are fears that gay passengers may be singled out as possible HIV risks

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-5008.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 02:36:05 pm by Iggy »

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
Re: U.S. to screen visitors for HIV status by checking pink papers
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:41:13 pm »
This is seriously bad. And why is the US not asked to do the same in return? gay = terrorist? Do they know that there are heterosexual people that are HIV+ too?

>:( >:( >:(

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 02:54:57 pm »
when i was in US immigration a couple of weeks ago they gave me a bit of a grilling about why i visited the US so often - asked me if i was married or had a boyfriend??!! dont know what that was about but i felt distinctly uncomfortable and insulted that the implication was that i was a sex tourist. and that was without knowing my poz status...

Quote from the article:
"The agreement adds 19 possible new categories, including information on ethnic origin, political and philosophical opinions, credit card numbers, trade union membership, sex life and details of the passengers' health.

The information will be provided by passengers when making bookings. "

yeah as if im gonna tell them my political/philosophical opinions and all about my (non-existent) sex life and dodgy health just so i can visit my friends and family.

and as if a terrorist is gonna come clean to the travel agent that they are a terrorist.

and i wouldnt like my credit card details getting sent to the US govt either - potential for spying / card fraud alert!!!

this is all a very scary infringement of privacy and I for one will be getting as many people as possible to contact their MP / MEP about it

Iggy - thanks for pointing this out
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 02:58:33 pm »
This is seriously bad. And why is the US not asked to do the same in return? gay = terrorist? Do they know that there are heterosexual people that are HIV+ too?

It's a ruse by the closeted homosexual cabbal running the country--make people suspect open Queers, so no one suspects them.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »
this is the real terrorist

[attachment deleted by admin]
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 03:44:50 pm »
http://www.bushslastday.com/
bought a sticker of the above but im now thinking that maybe i will be asking for trouble if i stick it on my suitcase...  :D

also, when i got my suitcase back when i got to the states the other week i discovered that the luggage searchers had gone thru it. i had about 10kg of assorted food & drink goodies to give as presents. the only jar they had opened to investigate (despite it having one of those popper things to show that it had not - yet - been opened) was a jar of curry paste!!! what did they think it was 'jihad in a jar'??!! so thanks to homeland security inspectors i then had curry paste leak out of the (now improperly sealed) jar onto my clothes - lovely.

sorry ive gone a bit off topic but its just that 99% of this US screening really pisses me off and i dont believe will stop any terrorists either
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 04:00:13 pm »
also, when i got my suitcase back when i got to the states the other week i discovered that the luggage searchers had gone thru it. i had about 10kg of assorted food & drink goodies to give as presents. the only jar they had opened to investigate (despite it having one of those popper things to show that it had not - yet - been opened) was a jar of curry paste!!! what did they think it was 'jihad in a jar'??!! so thanks to homeland security inspectors i then had curry paste leak out of the (now improperly sealed) jar onto my clothes - lovely.

And this is one of the reasons why I have decided to travel light with only a carry-on bag whenever I travel to the US - and also why no-one will be getting any presents. :P

And the DHS can eff off too! >:(

Melia
(who has zero tolerance for infringement of civil rights, overkill and bullshit)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 04:04:49 pm »
Racist cruel bastards.

That's absoultely disgusting.

I myself will never go to the States. I will never sneak around hiding my meds or posting them in advance and hoping they don't get caught. It's too bad because there are trips I wanted to take and people I wanted to meet, also workwise I am supposed to go to the US once in a while, but it is, along with Australia and China and Russia (and Iran and Saudi Arabia) off the map for me. I don't have much money and I will only spend it in countries that do not breed hate and discrimination against me, such as Thailand, Canada, Morocco, Japan, Mexico and the EU. The evil EU who signed this, wonder if it will mean something for the EU as well.

It might sound full of self importance, like who the F am I, but it's the only thing I can do to maintain a bit of dignity. Just not go. They know that we are sneaking in there and they enjoy tormenting us, we shouldn't give them the satisfaction.
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 04:21:52 pm »
as an American I have to say, PLEASE, do not judge us based on the current administration. 
1)  BUSH was never elected...his little brother stole the election for him in Florida in 2000
2)  75% of Americans disapprove of the son of a bitch...and yes his mother is a real fucking bitch.
3) Don't let them get away with this shit...rather, come here if anything just to piss him off.

Rich
(who hates BUSH, his family, friends and anyone associated with that fuckwad)

POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 04:22:42 pm »
Racist cruel bastards.

That's absoultely disgusting.

I myself will never go to the States. I will never sneak around hiding my meds or posting them in advance and hoping they don't get caught. It's too bad because there are trips I wanted to take and people I wanted to meet, also workwise I am supposed to go to the US once in a while, but it is, along with Australia and China and Russia (and Iran and Saudi Arabia) off the map for me. I don't have much money and I will only spend it in countries that do not breed hate and discrimination against me, such as Thailand, Canada, Morocco, Japan, Mexico and the EU. The evil EU who signed this, wonder if it will mean something for the EU as well.

It might sound full of self importance, like who the F am I, but it's the only thing I can do to maintain a bit of dignity. Just not go. They know that we are sneaking in there and they enjoy tormenting us, we shouldn't give them the satisfaction.

wow, your mad huh?

Offline bryonut

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 04:31:16 pm »
I'm not sure why this has become such a hot issue when we really don't know what the actual guidelines will be. When words like "possible" as in "possible new categories..." is included in an article I don't give it much credence, especially when it comes from a news source that has an agenda as well. It is my belief that this agreement is intended to seek out criminals and terrorists not gay people or people with HIV.

In the name of Jesus Christ, amen

bry
(who is a man loving democrat and PWA)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 04:34:02 pm by bryonut »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 04:32:29 pm »
as an American I have to say, PLEASE, do not judge us based on the current administration. 
1)  BUSH was never elected...his little brother stole the election for him in Florida in 2000
2)  75% of Americans disapprove of the son of a bitch...and yes his mother is a real fucking bitch.
3) Don't let them get away with this shit...rather, come here if anything just to piss him off.

Rich
(who hates BUSH, his family, friends and anyone associated with that fuckwad)

Arguments about 2000 aside - we certainly did elect him in 2004 and who the fuck gives a damn that we all hate him now when we are the ones who unleashed him to begin with.

Nope - I think the world has every bit a right to be pissed at us Americans.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 04:35:38 pm »
I'm not sure why this has become such a hot issue when we really don't know what the actual guidelines will be. When words like "possible" as in "possible new categories..." is included in an article

So we should just wait for them to actually begin doing it to get upset?  ???

Offline keyite

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 04:42:38 pm »
Breathtakingly idiotic. You really wonder just what goes on in Washington. Not too long ago I heard the US tourist industry is continuing to suffer severely in the aftermath of 9/11, whereas tourism elsewhere in the world has recovered. Well, little wonder. You're treated to the most draconian measures imaginable if you have the audacity to visit, by officials who are at best surly, but more often downright rude. Measures, more to the point, that will have little or no effect on terrorism. And that, of course, is only after you've queued for hours because not a single US airport appears to be staffed adequately. No other country I can think of treats its visitors with such contempt. No-one in their right mind would not anticipate all their personal information, incl fingerprints, will be kept on file in some CIA bunker.

What makes this new requirement particularly ridiculous is that it apparently will be up to the airlines to collect the data. As if anyone halfway sane is going to volunteer it! Or if passengers are made to, then what's to stop you from lying? I, for one, certainly will be. I'm disappointed, but not surprised, that Washington has pushed this. Far more disappointed, however, that the EU hasn't had the balls to turn the request down flat.

And while we're at it - we're still waiting for the implementation of the easing of the ban on HIV+ tourists visiting the US. Almost eight months after Bush made the announcement!

Unless you really have to, you certainly end up thinking twice about going to the US - such a shame because it's actually an amazing country with some amazing people in it. Personally, I'm thinking of going to Canada on holiday...  ;D

Offline bryonut

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 04:44:39 pm »
well Iggy, we can all choose how and when we will react to this recent action. I have chosen to "wait and see"

Sharing opinions not needles,
bry
(who once shared a needle when he was naughty and used drugs)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 04:47:33 pm »
well Iggy, we can all choose how and when we will react to this recent action. I have chosen to "wait and see"

Sharing opinions not needles,
bry
(who once shared a needle when he was naughty and used drugs)

And thus we have the perfect example of why the Republicans won in 2000, 2004....2008.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 04:49:50 pm »
Arguments about 2000 aside - we certainly did elect him in 2004 and who the fuck gives a damn that we all hate him now when we are the ones who unleashed him to begin with.

Nope - I think the world has every bit a right to be pissed at us Americans.

there are speculations about OHIO in 2004, I've heard Brinks rigged their voting machines...just saying...lol
now, as far as having the right to be pissed at all of us Americans, yes, I can understand and relate to that...I am pissed off at all the idiots that voted for stupid and now are crying wolf.

Rich
(who has never voted republican in his life)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 04:52:26 pm »
I am pissed off at all the idiots that voted for stupid and now are crying wolf.

Funny but that is exactly what the world is saying about Americans in general.

Offline bryonut

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 04:59:41 pm »
And thus we have the perfect example of why the Republicans won in 2000, 2004....2008.

yer not being nice  :'(

Forums are meant for people to post opinions.

Bry

Offline Iggy

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 05:00:30 pm »
Which is what I stated, my dear.

Offline bryonut

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 05:02:06 pm »
Which is what I stated, my dear.

fair enough :)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 05:19:48 pm »
I think everyone is getting upset over nothing. I believe if you knew the real story it's not HIV that they are concerned about as much as other diseases that can cause havoc. So before everyone gets in a tail spin lets wait and see what it is all about. We freaked on bird flu and nothing came of that. I don't believe anything will come of this.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 05:37:46 pm »
I think everyone is getting upset over nothing. I believe if you knew the real story it's not HIV that they are concerned about as much as other diseases that can cause havoc. So before everyone gets in a tail spin lets wait and see what it is all about. We freaked on bird flu and nothing came of that. I don't believe anything will come of this.

I get both you and bryout points.  Seriously I do.

However I think them even wanting Sexual Orientation on a check list is enough to be upset about. 

Look at the last few years and how often we have been finding out that the U.S. government has misused and abused its own citizens personal information.  Look at how they had the show down with the internet companies and libraries over their  people's reading lists and internet search history.

Maybe it is just me but I don't need to have the fears realized in order to have my caution raised and ring the alarm.  You may choose to see it as a false alarm and that is your decision but I leave you with a request:

If they aren't collecting the information for nefarious reasons related to profiling and discrimination, please provide a logical explanation of why the U.S. governement needs to know that you suck cock before letting you through the airport?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:40:19 pm by Iggy »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 06:02:38 pm »
Did you actually read the article Iggy?  Gay passengers may be singled out as possible HIV risks. This article has no facts, just presumptions. No more than that. It's an article to entice fear and apprehensions and by reading this thread it's working.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 06:16:11 pm »
Yeah, there does seem to be a lot of jumping to conclusions and hysteria without knowing the full story.  Since the HIV ban has been removed, why would the US government need to try and single out gays for HIV exclusion?  Wouldn't it be more simple to just keep the HIV ban in place, if you want to prevent HIV folks from coming to the US?

Plus the European Commission agreed to this.  Why isn't anyone taking them to task?  It's one thing to ask for the information, but to agree to provide such information on your own citizens seems like a much bigger issue.

Also the US government is asking for whatever information is available (race, political affiliation, sexual orientation, union membership)....but says sensitive information such as sexual orientation wouldn't be used.  I don't think this is just something against gays or people with HIV.  The government is asking for whatever information is available.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 06:18:23 pm »
scare tactics, isn't that the purpose of Homeland Security...after all, since the end of the Soviet Union, they had to find something to scare us.

Offline keyite

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2007, 06:46:19 pm »
Since the HIV ban has been removed, why would the US government need to try and single out gays for HIV exclusion?

Very possibly because the ban hasn't been removed - and it isn't within the power of the President alone to lift the ban anyway. Since the announcement on World AIDS Day 2006 there has been no further details forthcoming. When they do finally get the finger out it looks like it will be a 'categorical waiver', still requiring disclosure and probably attracting a nice fat stamp in your passport, which will no doubt prompt questions as you go to other countries. Not a huge improvement on the status quo.

but says sensitive information such as sexual orientation wouldn't be used.

Yes, it sure is sensitive information, isn't it? If you're not going to use it why on earth ask for it?

Dan J.

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2007, 06:55:37 pm »
what are pink papers?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2007, 07:01:44 pm »

I think it's unfounded hysteria myself.  If one really reads the article it only mentions "sex life and details of the passengers' health" without really saying what that means.  I would assume the sex part is more geared towards child molesters, etc.  There's already now a waiver for HIV so the health part is a non-issue.

This article is bullshit -- I don't see how they plan on ascertaining someone's sexual orientation.  Subscriptions to Honcho or something?  Come on.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Iggy

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2007, 09:23:20 pm »
Did you actually read the article Iggy?  Gay passengers may be singled out as possible HIV risks. This article has no facts, just presumptions. No more than that. It's an article to entice fear and apprehensions and by reading this thread it's working.

Did you read my actual post that you responded to Rod?  You will see I fully account for the may.  Check again.

I wonder what your take would be on when they announce that they might cut ADAP do you just say  no big deal until they do it?

What if you have a person that is neg and says that they may bareback - do you ask them to come back to you for your thoughts after the fact?

Sometimes just something being contemplated is enough to  others and want to effect a change in thought before the action is carried out.

Modified - about your statement of the article's intentions - In regards to this administration - they don't need to do much to entice fear outside of report the truth.  Sorry Rod - but the govt acknowledged the they are considering this - so yeah - I think we should be afraid...or at least not asleep at the switch.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 09:27:19 pm by Iggy »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2007, 09:32:14 pm »
I think it's unfounded hysteria myself.  If one really reads the article it only mentions "sex life and details of the passengers' health" without really saying what that means.  I would assume the sex part is more geared towards child molesters, etc.  There's already now a waiver for HIV so the health part is a non-issue.

This article is bullshit -- I don't see how they plan on ascertaining someone's sexual orientation.  Subscriptions to Honcho or something?  Come on.

Perhaps another article might help - IT week is not a political paper and they acknowledge the sexual orientation aspect as well.

http://www.itweek.co.uk/vnunet/news/2194867/keep-british-personal-years

I truly would love to know what rational reason you can suggest for the government wanting this info?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 10:56:10 pm »
That article is a big difference from the other article.

Offline Carolann

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 10:58:07 pm »
Well,

The reason why people are concerned is that anti homosexual propaganda was used to get dumb and dummerer in The Whitehouse last time and it is a big strategy for the next elections as well. They still want people thinking gays=HIV= the scurge of the world, deny them their rights here and keep them out of this great land of ours. How did they decide to reduce the humanity of the prisoners in Irak? By posing them in homosexual acts. This is reality. I would not be surprised if the wise people of the UNITED STATES of Amerka elected another Republican Administration again, because people will shoot themselves in the foot just so those dirty homosexuals do not keep encroaching on the morally righteous. It is the perfect way to throw ink in the water and get in the whitehouse again. Yes, everyone should question request of information they have no business knowing, information the closet cases in the administration do not have to answer. Ridiculous!!!!!!

CA

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2007, 11:17:47 pm »
I'm still waiting for an explanation of how any government knows everyone's sexual orientation.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Carolann

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2007, 11:27:43 pm »
I think the issue is that they should even ask such a question, thereby forcing people to lie because it is none of their damn business, and they do not know how the information is relevant for someone who just wants to go on vacation.

CA

Offline otherplaces

• Mutant Super Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2007, 11:36:44 pm »
I was wondering myself how any western gov't would know someone's sexual orientation to begin with also.

This seems alot to do about nothing.  Yeah yeah, Bush is bad.  I got the memo quite a few years ago.  Yeah yeah, the religous right freaked out about gays and gained a whole lot of power after 9/11.  But it's over for them.  The United States is alot of things.  Some not so great.  It also has the Gay Mecca of the world...San Francisco.  Shit, even the mayor goes to the Gay Pride Parade in Chicago...the capital of the stodgy midwest.  It's not black and white, and Bush did do that Presidential Order to grant waivers to all HIV+ people.  I think he's a nutjob, but I'll give him credit for that...might as well. 

And Dragonette.  You mention how you'll visit Japan but not the evil evil US of A.  I have a HIV+ friend in Japan.  Discrimination there against HIV+ people is WAAAAY worse than it is in the US.  Just because there isn't a stupid law doesn't mean there isn't discrimination.  Either way Japan is still a really nice country.  Funny how that happens.

brian

Offline fearless

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2007, 12:04:00 am »
This is not a new issue but something that has been bouncing around pretty much since 9/11.

My understanding is that the earlier agreement was annulled by the European Court of Justice (or similar) due to privacy concerns. A temp agreement was put in place - I guess this one expires soon or has expired.

From what I understand, when you book a ticket and make travel plans to go from the EU to the US, certain information you provide when buying your ticket are passed on by the airline to the DHS in the US. Similar info is gathered and passed on from Aus, and most likely other places.  Things like your email address (if you give one), credit card details (if you use one), itinerary etc are passed on. They don't ask if you are gay, a terrorist, a unionist or anything like that when you buy a ticket, so it's obviously not passed on.

The concerns seem to be about what the US government does with the information you provide, how long they hold it for, and what other information the US adds to it. For example, if you use a credit card to buy your ticket, the DHS may snoop around to check your purchasing habits (ie have you bought lots of fertiliser later, and I guess, do you subscribe to or buy porn with the card - would they really give a rats arse if you did). Similarly, if you give your email address the DHS could potentially access your email account to see who you email, what you say, etc etc. Normally, one would need a supbpoena from a court to do this, but I'm not sure if the DHS requires one.

At the end of the day though, unless you have been doing some fairly suspect things, or hanging with some suspect people I can't imagine that the DHS will be singling you out from the millions of EU visitors to the US each year.

Edited to add: Dragonette. I'm surious why Australia is on your list - we have no restriction on HIV+ people holidaying here, and applications for permanent residency are decided on a case by case basis. Granted, there has been some talk about a blanket banning of HIV+ immigrating here but it was shouted down pretty loudly and I've not heard it mentioned again.

Also, you have Thailand on your list as a place you will travel to. However, Thailand bans the entry of any person with a communicable disease (eg HIV). Granted, for short stays from Aus, we need no visa and no medical check, so it is unlikely they will find out if you don't say anything, but I bet immigrating there is just not an option.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:17:12 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline northernguy

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2007, 01:26:26 am »
Why do the airlines the gov't or anyone need to know if you are in a trade union.  Is that now a crime too in the land of the far right?  Have the globalizers demonized trade unions, the very thing that allowed the average working man to own a decent salary and touch off the post war boom.  How far we've fallen.  This is way too big brother, I'm shocked that the citizens of the supposed "land of the free" stand for it.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline edfu

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2007, 04:48:00 am »
philly:

Do you honestly believe our disgusting, immoral U.S. government doesn't know that you and I are fags?  Do you really believe they don't know we are HIV-infected?  After all the recent invasion-of-privacy scandals that have recently been reported by our cowardly and intimidated journalists (phone records, e-mails, subscription lists)--which means there's a hell of a lot more we don't know about--isn't it more than a little naive at this depressing, sorry time to doubt for one second that they've got a little list and are checking it twice?  Accuse me of paranoia, but, remember, when the truth finally all comes out--if it ever does--I warned anyone who would listen.

It is perhaps a sign of how satanically bewitched the American populace is that the loudest objectors in this link are the non-Americans and that the Americans are the ones here who are defensive and protesting that all of this is a tempest in a teacup.  How horrific that so many of our fellow U.S. citizens are failing to fight against the loss of the basic principles embedded in the U.S. Constitution and the Bill of Rights and fail to see or believe what is happening.   I worry greatly that we are really are doomed...and I do not doubt for a second that this diatribe of mine here is recorded by the NSA.   
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Cliff

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2007, 05:01:11 am »
Sorry, but how will the US government know we are "fags"?  But is that even a relevant issue? This isn't about what the US government knows or doesn't know, it's about what the EU knows.  They are the ones who will be providing this information on their citizens/residents to the US government!

So, how does the EU know that I am a "fag"?  I doubt they even know I am HIV positive.  I'm fairly comfortable in knowing that my HIV clinic would not share such information without my permission.

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2007, 05:07:56 am »
wow, your mad huh?

When the Dragon flames....
 ;D

PS someone asked "how would they know?", if the info is passed from the EU, they would know who is married to a same sex partner, or registered as living together, they might ask directly whom is treated for HIV in the hospital, I mean for sure we are all on the record. It would depend on the discretion fo the particular countries to decide how much info they pass on. An EU member like Poland for example, which is extremely homophobic and practically outlaws homosexuality, could disclose an awful lot.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 05:19:43 am by Dragonette »
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline edfu

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2007, 05:24:39 am »
If the U.S. government is compiling sexual data on non-U.S. citizens, then it is certainly doing so on its own citizens.  If the U.S. Centers for Disease Control demands name reporting on HIV cases--which includes mode of transmission (heterosexual sex, MSM, injection-drug use)--I have no doubt this information is available to other divisions of the current fascistic administration.  I have no doubt our current government can easily secure the names of those purchasing HAART drugs from pharmacies and insurance companies.  And yes, I have no doubt they know who subscribes to "Honcho" and "The Advocate" and make assumptions about same.  I know in point of fact that the FBI infiltrated ACT UP during its heyday.  It is strongly suspected that the FBI is still infiltrating activist organizations--or what is left of them.  And the FBI is child's play compared with what the current National Security Administration is nefariously capable of doing. 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2007, 05:31:08 am »
Edited to add: Dragonette. I'm surious why Australia is on your list - we have no restriction on HIV+ people holidaying here, and applications for permanent residency are decided on a case by case basis. Granted, there has been some talk about a blanket banning of HIV+ immigrating here but it was shouted down pretty loudly and I've not heard it mentioned again.

Also, you have Thailand on your list as a place you will travel to. However, Thailand bans the entry of any person with a communicable disease (eg HIV). Granted, for short stays from Aus, we need no visa and no medical check, so it is unlikely they will find out if you don't say anything, but I bet immigrating there is just not an option.

Thailand used to discriminate but changed the law, so many poz ppl go there, I met a bunch of them going to the BKK convention myself b4 I knew I was poz. Here is a link about their policy.
http://www.aidsnet.ch/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=231

Australia, I also heard it was an immigration ban but then a poz Israeli tourist has been turned away a couple months back, though he might have been entering with an intent to stay, I dunno, but anyway he was on a tourist visa, it was in the papers (then it must be true right?  ;)). Anyway I'll be glad to put it back on the map if I'm wrong  ;D

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2007, 05:36:24 am »
Edfu,

so long as you are on this track, why wouldn't they simply be checking the IP address of the AIDSmeds forum users?

Fearless, I forgot to mention this before, I know Thailand bans HIV immigration (ironically I have been in and out of that country more than anywhere else incl. the Netherlands), but if I limited my list only to countries that allow me to immigrate it would be very narrow indeed.

I'm just hoping I can eventually move to Spain with my BF. I know they do not officially allow immigration but I do know poz people who have moved there from other EU countries, so am hopeful.

Offline edfu

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2007, 05:49:50 am »
I do not doubt for a second that this diatribe of mine here is recorded by the NSA.  

Dragonette, that's what I meant by saying this.   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2007, 07:55:50 am »

so long as you are on this track, why wouldn't they simply be checking the IP address of the AIDSmeds forum users?

I don't see how anyone who is not a moderator or administrator of this website would be able to access the IP addresses of people who post here - and we certainly do NOT give this or any other information to any third parties.

Besides, IP numbers don't show us where a person lives, other than in very general terms. As far as I'm aware, to obtain any detailed information on a person, going by their IP address, you'd have to go to the ISP from which the IP originates and I do believe that would take a court order. I can't see them bothering to get court orders on every single person posting here - especially considering they don't have access to the IP numbers in the first place.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2007, 08:01:02 am »
DOOMED-WE ARE ALL DOOMED-THE SKY IS FALLING-RUN FOR YOUR LIVES ;D
Meds doing well so far.

Offline edfu

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2007, 08:49:18 am »
To talk about "court orders" or to to say, "There is a law," is meaningless to a government that wilfully ignores all that silly nonsense.  They have already been shown to completely ignore the court-order requirement to institute a wire tap.  They have shown no compunction in forcing telephone companies to turn over millions of records.  Attorney General Alberto Gonzales was eviscerated for the second time yesterday before the Senate Judiciary Committee and accused of lying about pushing through a program that had already been determined to be illegal by the Justice Dept.  The committee will have to issue contempt citations for members of Bush's court who refuse to testify.   Law (and court orders) are meaningless to an executive branch of government who believe they are above all of that and can do anything they please.  When you live in a dictatorship that rules by secrecy, anything goes.  You can imprison anyone in a secret location without stating the charges for as long as you please and without bringing him to trial.  What is a court order to an executive who ignores the law and the courts?     

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.