Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:52:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 151
Total: 151

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: FYI - Posts Cannot be Edited/Deleted after 48 hours  (Read 6896 times)

Offline Tucsonwoody

FYI - Posts Cannot be Edited/Deleted after 48 hours
« on: February 17, 2007, 02:24:03 pm »
As an FYI - A change has been made today to prevent editing or deleting your own posts after 48 hours.
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline Basquo

Re: FYI - Posts Cannot be Edited/Deleted after 48 hours
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 02:34:35 pm »
As an FYI - A change has been made today to prevent editing or deleting your own posts after 48 hours.

But can we edit or delete after CSI:NY ?  What about after 24 ?  American Idol ?

I'm just razzing you, T, but how did you find out about this?

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 03:37:11 pm »
This decision seems to have been made unilaterally and also very quickly, without consulting members (and other moderators?). It's been a long week, you see.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 03:38:49 pm »
Hey Bosque -

During a discussion in another thread, "Deletion of posts, or all personal information from all former posts" Peter got a suggestion from another member that there be a time limit on how long someone has to change or remove a post to prevent a member from deleting all their posts. 

Peter thought this was a good idea, read his software manual and implemented the change.  It's in this thread:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=9146.0#bot
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:48:58 pm by Tucsonwoody »

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 03:48:00 pm »
I support this decision in general because if you say it, you own it and must deal with the consequences.

But the current fact is that some people here feel they did not expect the random influx of csi people to inspect and review their posts and that is a breach of 'confidentiality' in many peoples opinions.

Yes, it is a public website, but with FEW viewers who have a vested interest, either in fears or in support.

Making it a public spectacle seems... wrong.

In this context, preventing the deletion of prior posts is wrong, because THIS is not what we signed up for and if somebody wants to delete all their posts because their MOTHER or somebody else watches CSI should be permitted ini my book.

Peter, remove this restriction and let people do what the want because THIS is not what some signed up for and there may be REAL consequences for them.

This place just doesn't feel 'safe' anymore.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 07:49:59 pm »
Apologies for the snide "It's been a long week, you see" remark. Unnecessarily catty.

But I hereby declare, in all high solemnity, with conviction and gravitas, in pseudo-legalese, that this post should be construed as my formal protest against the implementation of this policy.

It is autocracy, though it comes dressed as a concern for protecting forum/thread integrity. Or: the integrity (and decision-making-capacity) of the individual must be sacrificed for the greater "good" of the group.

Claptrap.

Question to Ann, Andy, Tim: were any of you consulted about this?

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 08:02:15 pm »
Hey Bosque -

During a discussion in another thread, "Deletion of posts, or all personal information from all former posts" Peter got a suggestion from another member that there be a time limit on how long someone has to change or remove a post to prevent a member from deleting all their posts.  

Peter thought this was a good idea, read his software manual and implemented the change.  It's in this thread:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=9146.0#bot

Thanks man!  I guess I lost track of that one.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 08:12:10 pm »
After reading in here to catch up , all day mind you :D, I came across that thread only a half hour ago. It's not a safe place anymore, and for those of you out and proud to be HIV positive, good for you. I'm not.

I'm ok with not being able to remove my words. That does screw up a thread. I don't think too many people posted their names and addresses.

But that you cannot remove a pic you posted under your sig line is wrong. They're now there forever.

me
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 10:05:12 pm »
But that you cannot remove a pic you posted under your sig line is wrong. They're now there forever.

Huh?  You can't change/delete your avatar?  I just checked your profile and it's your avatar, which you can change or remove any time, right?

At many if not most websites like AM there is a time limit for editing posts and 48 hours is arbitrary but I don't have a problem with it.  I only go back to edit posts for typos or grammatical errors so of I don't catch it within 48 hours my poor typing skills and lifelong public education are on display for all to see.  No problemo.

Like benj I can state my name is Robert and I live in New Orleans and I'm a recovering alcoholic and I smoke pot but I'm not worried about police breaking down my door because of my post.  It's ironic I finally posted a face pic the same week as CIS:NY came on board but I couldn't care less how many more people view my ugly mug.  I'm not worried about being outed as anything but a rambling curmudgeon, and I've been out of the curmudgeon closet with close friends for years.

I am rather self-conscious admitting that in late December, 2005, I edited about 50 or so posts in a manic episode of self-effacement.  Embarrassed by my actions I asked to have my user deleted and earned the wrath of Mr. Tim Horn for being the first, apparently, to wipe out previous posts.  Frankly Peter should have made the change back then because the software probably had the option then, also.   

If you've posted information that clearly identified you and you're concerned I can see wanting to be able to make your post(s) anonymous.  I'm sure the moderators would help in such circumstances.  But the vast majority of posts here do not make any of us easily identified unless your avatar has your pic in it.  If you've posted your pic thinking it was "safe" it's due to naivete and not the fault of AM or the mods. 

As one who unintentionally screwed up the old forums I understand and support Peter's decision to lock posts after 48 hours.  He has not violated any implicit or explicit agreement with forum members by taking this action since the TOS gives the moderators the right to do as they see fit with posts, and that includes deleting spam as well as retaining content.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 11:52:33 pm »
Avatars you can change - posts older than 48 hours ya can't

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2007, 12:15:04 am »
I'm always amazed at how 100% correct every posting of Boo's is.  It's rather fascinating.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2007, 08:30:47 am »
Jay,

I can't speak for Tim and/or Andy, but Peter and I did speak about this editing change and my only regret was that we didn't realise it could be done a long, long time ago. I actually tried to get Peter to make it six hours, but he won me over on 48.

All,

You can still change your signature line, avatar, or anything else that was previously available to tinker with through your profile pages. All you cannot now do is edit your posts after 48 hours.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2007, 01:03:22 pm »
I'm always amazed at how 100% correct every posting of Boo's is.  It's rather fascinating.

I'm reporting your excoriating sarcasm to the moderators immediately!!  Expect a permanent ban for such vicious flaming!

Such effrontery!

Boo

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2007, 01:04:01 pm »
I'm reporting your excoriating sarcasm to the moderators immediately!!  Expect a permanent ban for such vicious flaming!

Such effrontery!

Boo

You're on "IGNORE" now, cunt.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2007, 01:19:26 pm »
Philly, use your IGNORE button all you like but lay off of the nasty namecalling.

Calling someone a c**t is absolutely unacceptable here. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2007, 01:21:45 pm »
You're on "IGNORE" now,

So my PMs pleading for a pity f*ck won't get to you any more?  Dammit.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2007, 01:24:34 pm »
Philly, use your IGNORE button all you like but lay off of the nasty namecalling.

Calling someone a c**t is absolutely unacceptable here. Period.

Boo and I PM enough with constant jokes and insults that he surely knew it wasn't serious.  But I'll refrain from using the word in the future so as not to offend any third party's sensitive side.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2007, 01:24:58 pm »
So my PMs pleading for a pity f*ck won't get to you any more?  Dammit.

Is money involved?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2007, 02:19:45 pm »
Guys,

I'm glad the above exchange was made by two friends teasing each other. However, when you're doing it in the public forum, could you stop and think about how it may appear to people who don't know that you are friends? Thanks.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2007, 02:26:26 pm »
I'm glad the above exchange was made by two friends teasing each other. However, when you're doing it in the public forum, could you stop and think about how it may appear to people who don't know that you are friends? Thanks.

Yes, m'am.  I'm sorry (again...).

It's all philly's fault, though!!  I am totally innocent and blameless!!

Seriously, I will try to qualify future posts so the humorous intent is more clear, if I can...

Boo

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 02:29:59 pm »
[the following post was written in jest]

Is money involved?

Is there any other way?  That's how I've done it all my life...

Boo

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 02:31:50 pm »
I recognize my mistake (for a 2nd time) and will confine my flirtatious nature too Boo and our intimate private messages.

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 02:34:46 pm »
That's okay guys, hijack my thread...I don't mind. No really, I really, really don't. 

And for the unaware...I am kidding.  Hijack away :)

Offline Boo Radley

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 02:54:39 pm »
That's okay guys, hijack my thread...I don't mind. No really, I really, really don't. 

Well!!
  No need to be so nasty about it!!     [JOKE]

Boo

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 03:33:17 pm »

This thread is going to Havana, Cuba!
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.