Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Nutrition & HIV

A balanced diet might not be enough.

(1/4) > >>

Lorenzopier:
I thought I would share this link for folks, especially for those who have had an aids diagnose or those like myself who became positive in the late 80s and did not start on medications until more than a decade later.

In a nutshell the link basically states that seventy diets were computer analyzed from the menu of athletes or sedentary subjects seeking to improve the quality of micronutrient intake from food choices. All of these dietary analyses fell short of the recommended 100% RDA micronutrient level from food alone.

In other words, over 70 diets were analyzed from individuals actively trying to improve their nutritional intake. And not a single one even achieved the minimum micronutrient suggested by the ADA!

This is the link:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129155/

Almost2late:
And you forgot mention that the site goes on and on with data and statistics (I got dizzy reading all that) it then leads you to another link to sell something, I assume some nutritional supplements? I don't know cause I got cold feet, it sort of felt like spam.

Sorry, I don't mean to be so suspicious but you could of mentioned that this link is an advertisement for some product.

leatherman:

--- Quote from: Almost2late on December 02, 2020, 04:35:14 am ---And you forgot mention that the site goes on and on with data and statistics (I got dizzy reading all that)

--- End quote ---
70 diets were analyzed but only 20 provided enough info for the study. the other data was based on the author's anecdotal evidence from 150-200 students who self-reported their diets.

I've lived with HIV for 35 years (coming up on 59 that means that 60% of my life I've been hiv+) drinking over 2 liters of Coke a day and eating a bag of chips (Utz's Malt Vinegar Kettle chips. sooo good!) every 3-4 days. Oh, and I LOVE candy. ;D ;D

Of course I also eat vegetables and meat every day (gotta balance out that coke, chips and candy). I'm not overweight and my blood work is very good. I do exercise regularly and definitely have a positive outlook on my life.

I don't doubt that obsessing over micronutrients may help some people stay healthy; but following basic healthy diet guidelines (https://health.gov/our-work/food-nutrition/2015-2020-dietary-guidelines) should do okay too.....even if coke, chips and candy aren't in the guidelines. LOL

Lorenzopier:
Sorry that I did not read entirely through the article which like you pointed out Almost2late which does have a dizzying amount of data and statistics and is a bit lengthy. Leatherman I am glad that you are one of the ones whose Activities of Daily Living abilities is adequate despite your very lengthy history. Despite all of the advances in the medications, there is still a small cohort of long term survivors like myself who did not start on medications until very late in disease progression and whose Activities of Daily Living abilities are low sometimes requiring a Home Health Aid. I am hoping that even one piece of information that I am able to share can somehow maybe enhance the quality of life for someone else. HAART and Micronutrients are the 2 primary agents that have been able to get me through all of this.

Jim Allen:

--- Quote from: Almost2late on December 02, 2020, 04:35:14 am ---I don't know cause I got cold feet, it sort of felt like spam.

Sorry, I don't mean to be so suspicious but you could of mentioned that this link is an advertisement for some product.

--- End quote ---

That's because it is spam.

Behind the lengthy blog page, trying to sell services etc there is only one legit part and that's a single weak study from 2006.

I'm not an athlete myself, asides from Vitamin D deficiency I'm grand on nutrition.
That's just me.

@OP. I have updated your post with just a link to the 2006 item.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version