Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:54:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772948
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 478
Total: 478

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV and Eysight  (Read 2195 times)

Offline MajorCock

• Standard
HIV and Eysight
« on: October 01, 2019, 12:51:13 pm »
Is there any evidence that HIV affects one's eye sight even if one has been "Undetectable" for many years?  I need new glasses, but my HIV Dr will not okay them because she says I have been Undetectable for many years and there is no evidence that HIV is affecting my eyesight.  She says that saying otherwise would amount to fraud.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: HIV and Eysight
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 12:57:12 pm »
Hiya,

Welcome to the forum.

Nothing jumps to mind, at least not without underlying issues and eyesight would, of course, diminish for the population with age regardless of HIV status so perhaps it's hard to tell. Do you need her approval for the refund of the cost or something?

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 01:24:07 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Mojito

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 06:59:02 am »
HIV odes not impact your eye sight unless you have very low CD4 count and catch some opportunistic infection for eyes. I remember my doctor ran few tests on my eyes every 2 months with my CD4 was around 100. He stopped those test once I crossed 350

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 04:45:39 am »
Why would anyone pressure their doctor to commit fraud. It sounds like he  or she deserves an apology.

Offline ZachR

• Let's look at the stars again
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 03:17:07 pm »
The low-grade inflammation while UD and dysregulated immune system somewhat speed the aging process and this is true for all inflammatory conditions, bit these are a set of contributing, not direct, factors that make aging feel slightly heavier than it is itself. But if you are UD, good CD4s, no OP, diabetes, blood pressure, kidney or liver disease and over 50, it might be rather natural macular degeneration. Eat antioxidants, don't smoke, take your ARVs and exercise. :)
25.10.19 VL 43
26.05.19  CD4+ 685 %26 VL 55
27.03.19  CD4+ 850 %31 VL 24
***Switched to Biktarvy due to side effects.
25.02.19  CD4+ 740 %30 VL 78
15.01.19  CD4+ 1600(might be wrong) %0.7 VL 54
05.11.18  CD4+ 720 VL 1,100
17.09.18  CD4+ 962 %25 VL 14,000,000 - Started first regimen on Triumeq
15.07.18 - diagnosed, CD4+ 490 %20
20.04.18 - infected

https://ibb.co/X74GV0X

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 06:27:32 pm »
Do you need her approval for the refund of the cost or something?
that's the question that needs answered for us to offer any real help. this sounds like an access issue (payment/funding) that needs to be addressed instead of asking an HIV doctor to commit fraud.

other info could also help determine how to get access for the right physician approval/referral:
Is this "HIV doctor" just an infectious disease doctor? do you have a GP along with this HIV doctor?
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.