Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:12:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 345
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Window decore ideas??? (flooring is almost done)  (Read 6914 times)

Offline Blixer

Window decore ideas??? (flooring is almost done)
« on: December 22, 2007, 10:17:02 pm »
Ok, I can do the manual labor and construction of my house... but when it comes to some of the finer details of finishing things up, I'm at a loss.

I've almost got the flooring done in the master bedroom.  (pictures below)  (3 years of working on that room all the way down to gutted walls).  I had the paint picked and purchased 4 years ago (via a former boyfriend that worked at Restoration Hardware).  Anyway, hopefully next week I'll get the trim all done and it's time to think about window coverings.  I've got lots of windows...   Across the front of the room there is a large window, then a window door that goes all the way to the floor, then the bay window, then one other window on the east side.  So anyway, I'm open for input on what might be a good choice of design, fabric, colors, etc for the window coverings.  Since the master bedroom is on the street side, I can hardly start using it without something on the window... LOL

Any ideas are appreciated...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 10:21:32 pm by Blixer »
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: Window decore ideas??? (flooring is almost done)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 10:43:03 pm »
Ok, couple of questions.  First, is the bay window in the 1st picture the one facing the street in the exterior picture of the house?  Are those walls a light tan / toupe color? What kind of furniture are you putting in?  What "look" are you going for?  What color is/are your comforter(s)?  Do you really want to hide all that natural light?  I understand on the street side, but how far away from the window will your bed be?  How close to the window do you have to be to be seen from the street?  I just hate to see that window covered up.  I was thinking some scarf drapes with some really pretty sconces. You can have some throw pillows made to match and put them on the window seat. If you're worried about being seen, you could put up some wooden blinds the same color as your floor, or have them made to match the wall / trim.  Or, some really pretty fabric shades would be nice and could be used over the window door, too.  You can get them made to match your comforter or the curtains that you choose.

That's all I can come up with right now.  You have a beautiful house and the remodel is awesome!

Mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 12:43:34 am »
Hi David.

Merry Christmas....

THe room is looking really, really good.  I am just so proud of you.  I'm like you, though.  I can do the hard stuff, like sanding and refinishing and painting.  But when it comes to putting on the finishing touches, I fumble. 

But I like what Mini says. Try to keep as much light coming into the room as possible.  How about just a simple muslim curtain that you can pull back with a tie? On the door, one of those curtains that go from the top of the glass down to the bottom and are stretched tight.  I forget the kind of material.  But it's something sheer and fine.  You know what I'm talking about, don't you?

The floor is just beautiful.  I wouldn't want to distract from it with a bunch of frofoo.  Whatever you do, don't go overboard and put like a dozen pillows on your bed. and a bunch of fancy window/bed treatment.  Keep it simple, dear. 

robert....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 08:12:02 am »
If you want a lot of light, you could also go with cafe style curtains that only cover the bottom half of the window. If you want extra privacy (or streetlight blocking) at night, you could put blinds in to be pulled down and night and opened fully during the day.

If that were my bay window, I'd have a nice thick cushion made for it in fabric to match the curtains. I love window seats!

When you're finished at yours, could you be so kind to come over and rennovate my house? ;) Nice job, Blix!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 08:30:20 am »
roman blinds and wooden venetian blinds. natural colours & fabrics probably, don't think i'd want anything too frilly or fussy to detract from the beauty/age of the house. colours like this might give you some ideas.

kate

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 08:38:32 am »
Kate stole my thunder. I was just about to suggest wooden blinds (venetian) in a wood tone to compliment your floors. I live in a home the approximate age of yours (though not as grand) with a similar type window. I've added wooden blinds throughout and I think they add an understated, masculine touch to a room. You can usually get them cut to order at any home improvement store. They last forever and if you ever do decide to sell, value to your home.

http://www.shutterclassic.com/wood_blind_pictures.html
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 08:58:48 am by Dachshund »

Offline poz1970

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 09:30:17 am »
when you've finished, can you fly us from australia to stay in your new house.. for the house warm,ing, of course!

Looks fantastic :-)

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 02:40:30 pm »
Kate stole my thunder.

Mine too..I was going to suggest some nice cedar Venetian Blinds..they look classy and will go with the flooring...your home is looking good, well done on the work you have put into it.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline ademas

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 02:53:06 pm »
I'd keep it very simple, too, with the emphasis on clean lines.
Roman shades or simple muslin panels.
If I went with wood blinds, I think I'd go with white.

Offline Blixer

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2007, 07:45:11 pm »
I haven't forgotten about my thread here.  I appreciate the comments so far. I'll provide some additional information.  I've just been a bit busy with the holidays and arrival of family for an early Christmas.  The last 24 hours have been very busy.  Took family members to see Wicked last evening at the Fox in St. Louis.  It was the first time they had been in such a theater and the very first time for seeing a live Broadway type play for one of them.  So it was a great experience.  Today has been busy with family stuff and now I'm ready for some rest.  I'll digest the postings and provide some more info and comments in the next day or so.  Thanks again for the input so far.  I've gotten some good ideas.

David
Diagnosed 1/9/06

Offline Blixer

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 12:53:50 pm »
It's been a busy Holiday Season here and I've still been working on the house.  I'm a little slow getting back to this thread with everything that has been going on.  I've been cutting the baseboard to go down in the master bedroom since that's the next step.  And it is a challenge.  There are lots of angles in the room so a straight 45 degree cut doesn't work.  And there are LOTS of cuts.  Anyway, back to the thread.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

Mum, I don't necessarily want to keep the natural light out.  The bay window on the front of the house is the one that is in the bedroom.  The bed will be fairly close to the windows near the "window door" (the other end of the room from the bay window.  I'm pretty sure I'm going with black or very dark furniture.  Looking for I'll have a headboard, an armoire, and a small dresser to start with.  I'm going for something very masculine.  My other concern is that the house is old and the windows have storms, but there are still lots of drafts in the winter. 

Robert, I like the idea of letting the light in. I'd like the option of closing some light out at times though, if needed, since it is a bedroom.  The muslin sounds like a good possibility. 

Kate, Jan, and Dachsaund, I had thought about Roman bllinds.  But if I go with that I also though I'd want something else around the windows rather than just having the painted wood trim showing.  I do have blinds in other areas of the house. 

Ann, the bay window originally had a cushion, but it was in horrid shape.  And of course, in the renovation the seat area of the bay window changed slightly in size. I am planning on doing a cushion.  I can see that window as being a very nice place to relax.   I do get frustrated with renovation at times, but I enjoy the challenges. 

Hey Poz1970, well, I am planning to showcase things with some sort of party when I get it finished.  Our neighborhood usually has a December home tour and as soon as I get the second floor done I'm planning on volunteering to have my house as one on the home tour.  But Australia...   Where on earth is that???  Oh, right... half way around the world.  LOL

Yes ademas, I do want to try to keep it simple.  It seems several have suggested the muslin panels.  If I do the blinds would the white be too much white on that wall?  I've got the wide white baseboard and trim (going up now), the white doors, and the white fireplace mantel.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions.  Additional ideas are always welcome.  I'll do pictures when I finally get it all done.  I took this week off of work to work on the bedroom but I've ended up replacing plaster in the hallway.   But I still may be able to get most of the bedroom done... if I'd get busy on it that is....

David
Diagnosed 1/9/06

Offline Nico

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 01:16:56 pm »
David,
The floors came out great!  What is your target date to be finished with the master?  I will agree with the rest.  Less is more so keep it simple and don't cover up the house.  You are not an eighty year old lady more like a young tramp!

You know I love you!  :-*
Rog
Poz since 1990.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 01:56:15 pm »
Some wood plantation (venetian) blinds would be good....

Many years ago, I used to date an architect...he had a GORGEOUS home, and his window treatments were kind of what Ann described....blinds that hung down on cords, so that the top of the windows remained unobstructed, even with the blinds closed....I always thought it looked good.

You've done a great job!   Everything is looking lovely.

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Blixer

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 04:01:36 pm »
David,
You are not an eighty year old lady more like a young tramp!

Oh my Rog... who has been talking???   LOL

And yes, I'm thinking keep it as simple as possible.

Yes, they turned out very nice.  My thighs felt it for a few days though. I'm so not used to all of that squatting and bending (wow, that's wide open for comments...)  I'm working on the baseboard now.  I've got to finish the closets.   I'm hoping to be occupying the master bedroom by the end of January 2008.  I still haven't decided exactly what to do with the fireplace.  I may do some sort of gas heating device...

Thanks for the ideas Alan.  I guess I need to just go look at some possible blinds as an option.  The bay window will be tricky though.  The windows are so close together and at such an angle that blinds could interfere with each other.  I'm excited about having the floor down.  It has been a long drawn out process. I started on the bedroom over 3 years ago, prior to my diagnosis.  After my HIV diagnosis I just stopped all work for a while. I had even considered selling the house.  So much was up in the air at that point.  But I'm glad I continued working ahead and I'm going to be thrilled to be showing off the finished work.

Right after I bought the house (actually the day I closed) I had a small group of gay guys over.  And of course, that was a mistake.  I could see the "potential" and all they could see was the mess.  Well, I've not invited them back since then.  But when I get it finished, I'm inviting them all back to say ...  "See I told you it would turn out beautiful."  Is that being a bit bitchy???

David
Diagnosed 1/9/06

Offline bear60

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 04:04:56 pm »
Bitchy?  David....bitchy?  Our David?  Never.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Blixer

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 11:03:32 pm »
Bitchy?  David....bitchy?  Our David?  Never.

LOL... I'll admit, that would be a little out of character for me... and probably the reason I've let myself get walked on a bit in past relationships...   but I'm learning...
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2007, 12:32:29 am »
First of all DAvid, you're entitled to be bitchy.  After all that work, you deserve the moon.  And when those guys come back, they'll rue the day.....

So back to the room.  I was thinking about the bed.   You didn't mention anything about it so maybe you already have one but if you don't I would go for a black, cast-iron bed.  I googled this just to give you an idea.

ABout the walls. A nice wheat color would go really well with the white trim and the muslin curtain and the new floors. In the middle picture, the one of the glass door and window, it looks like the upper half is already covered.  If that's the case then I would go with the cafe curtains that Ann mentioned.

Now about the house warming.  I not interested in anything half-baked. I know it will be awhile but I'll wait until the whole thing is done, upstairs, downstairs, the attic, the basement and the yard, front and back.  I plan on being around awhile so go ahead and take your time.

robert 

Offline Blixer

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2007, 03:52:03 pm »

Now about the house warming.  I not interested in anything half-baked. I know it will be awhile but I'll wait until the whole thing is done, upstairs, downstairs, the attic, the basement and the yard, front and back.  I plan on being around awhile so go ahead and take your time.

robert 

The whole thing???   I was targeting spring of 2013 for finishing the inside... but if I have to have the outside ready too... oh my... I guess I need a gardener.... but it is a small yard. 

Thanks for the suggestions Robert and the link.  I've been doing baseboard today and of course the walls are not straight and the baseboard is.... so now I' having to go back and do some fill with drywall mud to make it look good.  It has to look good... well, at least decent...  so that's just one more bump in the road.  I won't be occupying the master bedroom quite as soon as I had hoped... but hey, what's another couple of weeks after I've been working on it for 3 years.  LOL

David
Diagnosed 1/9/06

Offline mjmel

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 08:55:09 am »

And yes, I'm thinking keep it as simple as possible.

I have gone back to good old-fashioned fringed shades with headers across the top. I leave them up most of the time. But then, we're facing wooded hills front and back of the house.

Mike M

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 11:01:50 am »
David don't put up anything. You're not a bad looking guy to peep at.. :D You can show the world tonight at midnight. Ok, so I looked, I didn't break any laws.

Offline Robert

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 11:47:42 am »
Hi David.

I know what you mean about the baseboards and the warped walls.  I had the same problem at my place in SF.  My solution was the same as yours....fill the space up with mud.  It still didn't look very nice but it was along the wall where I put the sofa so you couldn't see it.

robert

Offline Blixer

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 02:30:16 pm »
Mike, I figure whatever I put up I'll have open most of the time.  And I really don't seem to get a lot of street light into the bedroom at night.  That probably wouldn't be an issue.  I did see a house with vertical blinds two houses down from mine... but I'm just not sure about that.  I just think I want something that I could cover the windows with if I needed to.   But I don't want it to be overpowering.  Light and masculine (if that makes sense.)

Thats an idea RapidRod...   and thanks... I think I've been complimented :-)     Tonight at midnight huh?  And your suggestion of showing the would would be???  (nothing to get me arrested of course -- LOL).   

Robert, I knew the walls were not straight at all... of course, I've had people accuse me of not being straight.. .wonder what gave them that idea???   but I digress...   the mudding is coming along.  It won't be nearly perfect and will probably still not look the best.  But after all, the house is over 100 years old. I can live with a little character. 

When I started on the hallway I had to repair a rather large area of plaster...  But at least that is finished now.  I've learned to do plaster since moving into this house.   I'm not good at it, but I can get by.

Below is evidence that when I find loose plaster I just can't leave it alone... LOL  But at least I'm repairing what I rip out faster now.  LOL  I've actually got it all painted and I'm ready to do flooring in the hallway the next weekend I have free.

[attachment deleted by admin]
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06

Offline bear60

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 05:43:20 pm »
David
Have you actually slept in the room yet?  How the light affects you is important.  My partner Kurt has to have virtually black out curtains on the windows.  Its always a little creepy going in his room because there IS NO LIGHT...and he likes it that way.  Each to his own.  We have to sleep in separate bedrooms because of my snoring.
Vertical blinds are a big no no in a "victorian" like yours.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 06:01:22 pm »
David... looking great.. the plaster like so many other issues in an old house requires patience and artistry....A good friend who remodels for a living has a solution for "wavy walls' he has adapted a very large  ( 12" wide) plaster knife  by cutting off a corner so that it is the same thickness as the baseboard...he then generously applies mud in a wide swath using the top of the baseboard as a "track" with the other end of the blade resting against the wall it makes a great smooth patch that is hardly noticeable....

you have done such a tremendous job that I hope you have saved a nice fat "before /after" album of pics to show the people who come to you open house tour...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.