Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:45:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773187
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 288
Total: 290

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: woke to bad news  (Read 12325 times)

Offline zach

woke to bad news
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:00:03 am »
just a vent, shit i can't say yet to fam

an old soul passed in alabama last night. a man i've loved and respected most of my life. taught me to paddle the roughest rapids. and i am so fucking pissed off at him right now. he'd been sick, and i know it sucked. i felt like maybe he was making "arrangements" for a couple weeks. maybe more than anyone knew. anyway, this time he didn't fight. opted out, suicide, killed himself. cowards way out. ugly words to end such a beautiful life. went on the road and saw family one last time, i knew he was doing a lot of travel this summer. said his goodbyes i guess. came home, why last night, who knows. a wife and two littles, and who the hell knows how many lives touched. not right what you did, making us carry this as a last memory

downstream, sweet om
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 09:21:21 am by zach »

Offline initforlife

Re: woke to bad news
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 09:11:56 am »
  HUGS ZACH! I'm so sorry!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:14:29 am »
Sorry for your loss Zach.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:59:34 am »
Very sorry to hear of your loss, Zach.  Depression is another country and it's only when you get back "home," if you're lucky enough to get back home, that you can understand that it is the illness (depression) that often causes the hopeless thinking cycle.  I have been there (and I know from other posts of yours, Zach, that you may have been there, too), and in my experience suicidal thoughts/actions was not the seeking of death per se, but a desperate attempt to end the pain, and I could not see beyond that (those who would suffer from the finality of my action) because of the illness and how it changes your thinking and makes it irrational.

May your friend now rest in peace and may those he left behind (including you) get through these difficult days and achieve peace of mind, in time after healing from their loss.

I read this today (of course, suicide is in the news) and post the link here in the hopes it may help forum members to understand the nature of suicide and its relation to depression, other life issues, and demographics.  I'm sure a number of us on these boards are vulnerable, so do take extra care and seek professional help if you feel hopeless (I did and am all the better for it):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/robin-williams-in-a-group-facing-higher-risk-of-suicide-older-white-men-with-depression/2014/08/12/8e1164d6-225e-11e4-86ca-6f03cbd15c1a_story.html
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:27:42 pm »
i think for anyone that gets to that point, depression is part of the equation.

maybe i have hypocritical views. on the one hand, i have a medical directive myself, and i support assisted suicide. i don't know how bad a diagnosis he faced.

i dunno

and in typical gypsy fashion, didn't really say goodbye to anyone. just woke up in the middle of the night and gone
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:35:53 pm by zach »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:50:55 pm »
Zach,

My deepest condolences on the loss of your friend.  Having battled mental illness, my entire life, I realize how hard it is, for some people to comprehend how one could take their own life.  The reality of most mental illness, is that it completely alters how one views their reality and actually alters thought processes.  To say that one must be crazy to commit suicide is factually correct.

They are simply unable to cope with the reality they perceive, due to mental illness.  They leave others to guess at what happened, when even if they knew the truth, it still would not make any sense, to anyone, not suffering from a mental illness.

Your friend committed suicide to get away from the mental illness... not the ones who he held most dear.

All my best,

Joe

Offline zach

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 04:37:59 pm »
think if he had talked about this, there were strong people a lot closer to him than i was. i know he was facing what i thought was "just" prostate cancer, without insurance, maybe far worse for all i know. probably very painful. i can't believe there was no treatment solution. but to just to lay down like that, so at odds with that wise old oak tree of a man. this guy really was a peaceful warrior. on the one hand i just feel like fuck, i've faced some shit too so yeah i'll judge. he copped out real quick. on the other hand, who am i to judge

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 05:15:40 pm »
It's not about judging, it's about how hard it is to understand what seems to be an irrational act.  If your friend suffered from depression, it's the illness of depression that can cause the irrational and hopeless thoughts.  Suddenly, with those irrational thoughts banging around your brain, it seems "rational" to end it all, to end the spiritual or physical or mental anguish that causes the pain.  I say this only from my own experience, and I don't pretend to know your friend, but you and those who loved your friend may never know what drove him to his final act.  You can only be there now for them and for yourself.  My deepest condolences to you and I wish you the strength to move on, in time after the grieving and healing are complete.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 05:18:39 pm »
My condolences Zack ... peace .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 07:05:01 pm »
Sending my sympathy along to you, too, Zach. If you read about suicide, you may find you can frame your friend's exit differently. It is heartbreaking for those left to mourn and miss.

Offline ImisstheOldTimes

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 08:41:43 am »
Zach-Attack,

I'm so sorry for your loss, it is never easy to lose someone, but especially when it's them taking their own life. Also with young kids and a wife, wishing you all peace in this time. Love you buddy!

And depression, yeah, that's a shadow that likes to follow me too, luckily, prozac keeps it at bay!

(((ZACH)))
Life is a BANQUET, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

~Auntie Mame

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.