Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:58:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 350
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: too early ars?  (Read 21550 times)

Offline ase

too early ars?
« on: August 05, 2006, 04:04:54 am »
hi people,
i am a male from eastern europe.
after an unprotected insertive oral and protected insertive anal sex (i think condom was not broken at all) with a male i tested neg. @6 weeks and olsa at 87 days (12,5 weeks) both 4th generation elisa + p24 tests. my encounter was 7 months ago.

are my results conclusive? should i really move on?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 04:06:40 am by ase »

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
Re: 12,5 weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 04:21:08 am »
Ase,

Your test results are conclusive over this no-risk encounter.  (Receiving a blowjob is not a risk for hiv infection as saliva is not infectious and your penetrative sex was protected)

Normally we would not even recommend testing over what you have described.  But a 12 week post encounter negative test result is reliably conclusive.  You are hiv negative.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline ase

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 04:23:33 am »
what it make me feel unconfortable is that 12 or 13 weeks thing. and even 6 months?

is also 12,5 week now conclusive without assesing my encounter risk. (even if it could be a high risk?)

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 04:34:37 am »
Ase,

Yes.  If your anal sex was unprotected and you were the receptive partner (very high risk) a 12.5 week negative result would still be conclusive.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline ase

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 04:38:08 am »
ok thank you for your fast reply morgan. wish you all best!

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 04:39:48 am »
Cheers  ;)
Morgan Landers

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2006, 10:20:49 am »
The CDC is quite conservative about testing and it has for sometime now accepted 3 months as a reliable testing point except in circumstances where the person is an IV drug user or has a several depleted immune system due to cancer treatment and such.

Assuming neither of those exceptions apply to you then your test result is definitely reliable. You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Keep using those latex condoms everytime you have intercourse. They provide very effective protection.
Andy Velez

Offline ase

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2006, 06:24:21 pm »
no i am not using iv drugs never was on chemo and never had an operation except a knee surgery in what they put into my knee a nail.

and andy what is confusing my mind is that term "3 months"..
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 06:34:49 pm by ase »

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2006, 06:45:31 pm »
Ase,

12/13 weeks, or 3 months, is the "window period" that you allow after a potential exposure before hiv antibody test results are considered conclusive.

You are conclusively hiv negative.

Morgan  :)
Morgan Landers

Offline ase

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2006, 06:51:37 pm »
ok, but it can be 12 weeks already why some say they should get tested @ 13 weeks and another @ 12. why is this so? just a different policy of different nations but still gets both the same?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 07:07:46 pm »
You've got it figured out. You had a NO Risk situation and didn't need the test at all.

Offline ase

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 12:31:54 pm »
people it's been 221 days and since 3-4 days i have a sore throat and diarrhea and bodyaches and an amazing stuffy nose.. could it be a late seroconversion?

i dont remember exactly if the condom was intact. even like that would my 87 days neg. test would be conclusive. should i get tested @6 months? i have a monogamouse relationship since this encounter and during this 12,5 weeks we didnt have sex too waited for neg. but after that we have unprotected sex.   she's got bodyaches ec. too since 4-5 days.

0p.s. i was never on chemo, doesnt use some immunity drugs or had a blood transfusion etc.

i had only an anterior cruciate ligament operation in which they put to my knee a titanium nail 2 years ago.

should i move on with my negative test? really?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 12:35:32 pm »
You have to ask us if you need to move on? You were told in several of your posts you didn't have a risk and you didn't need a test. So what does that tell you? No Risk, No test. Move on....

Offline ase

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 12:39:35 pm »
even there was a condom breakage?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 12:42:33 pm »
What did you test state? NEGATIVE. If you are have trouble understanding that seek the help of a mental health professional.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 12:46:22 pm »
Your experience:

unprotected insertive oral and protected insertive anal sex (i think condom was not broken at all)

Was not a risk for HIV. Not sure why you are testing over a non risk.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 01:12:04 pm »
ase,

Even if the condom was broken (unlikely - broken condoms are obvious) you have conclusively tested negative. You ARE hiv negative.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ase

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 05:50:14 am »
what about late seroconversion?i read that there are cases that seroconvert later than 3 months.

its been 31 weeks since my encounter and since 3-4 days i have severe diarrhea severe sweating nasal congestion and sore throat...

is there any chance that i turn positive?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 06:07:31 am »
ase,

Have you been injecting street drugs every day for years? Are you a cancer patient on chemotherapy? Have you had an organ transplant and are you one anti-organ rejection medicine? NO? Then you won't seroconvert late.

You are absolutely hiv negative. It's time for you to move on and see a doctor about your physical problems. There are other illnesses in the world besides hiv you know. Find out which one is causing yours. You have ruled out hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ase

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 06:15:30 am »
no to your all questions.

thank you for your replies...

just one thing to ask i read on thebody.com site that there are 2 cases of late seroconversion after 3 months? do you have any idea about them? are they like cases you mentioned above?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 06:43:10 am »
ase,

If you have questions about something posted on The Body, I suggest you ask those questions AT The Body. We are not responsible for their content.

I will say this though, if you want to stress out over two cases - which may or may not be true - in twenty five years of this pandemic and millions of people taking these tests, then that's up to you. As far as we are concerned here at AIDSmeds.com, you are reliably hiv negative and it's time for you to move on. Go see your doctor about your problems. You have ruled out hiv as a possible cause.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ase

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 07:34:39 am »
sorry ididnt want to take a responsiblity for other websites. just wanted to know that these cases is the similar ones you mentioned like chemo, heavy iv drug user etc....

whatever thanks for your replies again, i am no more confused that my tests are not conclusive.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 03:03:34 pm »
Ase,

Again, that would be a question to post on The Body.  We have told you the circustances responsible for delayed seroconverison and they don't apply to you (see Ann's post #18).

Morgan
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 03:05:28 pm by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline ase

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 03:05:09 pm »
got it morgan thanks for the information you all gave.

god bless you all

Offline ase

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2006, 11:03:57 am »
Ann, Andy, Rod, Morgan

just to learn more information i want to ask something.

why does this exceptional cases make the people late seroconverters? what does change in the human body? and also are the ARS symptoms shown by late seroconverters too? (for example @4 months or @5 months @ 6 months?)

thanks for info

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2006, 12:01:03 pm »
Drugs and medicine.

Offline ase

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2006, 05:04:15 pm »
are the ARS symptoms shown by late seroconverters too? (for example @4 months or @5 months @ 6 months?)

and just to clarify rod s answer: does these drugs and medicines make the immune system to produce less antibodies or to produce later so people seroconvert late?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 05:42:03 pm »
ase,

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean absolutely nothing when it comes to hiv infection. Late seroconverters are rare and they may or may not experience symptoms. Symptoms are meaningless and so is the lack of symptoms.

You are reliably hiv negative and you never had a risk in the first place. If you cannot accept your negative status, please seek the assistance of a mental health care provider to help you deal with your health related anxieties. We cannot offer you counseling here.

You are hiv negative and it's time for you to move on with your life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ase

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 06:51:06 am »
hello,

it's been 18 months and asi told you before i have been tested at 42 and 87 days and negative. since then i only had sex with my girlfriend (sometimes protected sometimes not) which i am in a llong term relationship with.
since a month i have diarrhea and also lost 7kgs. and i am worried that my tests were false negatives?

i got worried again.. can this happen?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 07:00:27 am »
You do not get false negatives that late in testing. Your test was conclusive.

Offline ase

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 08:04:01 am »
So, this whole 1 month long diarrhea and weight loss cannot be relate to this encounter (or hiv)?

after 18 months can it show such signs?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 08:22:39 am »
If you have had diarrhea for a month and have had weight loss, see a doctor. It doesn't have anything to do with HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 08:35:50 am »
As Rod has suggested you need to discuss your symptoms with your doctor. Your past HIV test result gave you a reliable negative result. I see no reason to think HIV is an issue for you.

However, I do want to raise another issue. You mention that sometimes you have protected sex with your girlfriend and sometimes not. The only time when a couple can safely give up using condoms is if they are in a securely monogamous relationship AND they have both tested negative together at a reliable testing point.

Perhaps you've handled that but it's not clear to me from what you've written.

Andy Velez

Offline ase

too early ars?
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2008, 08:17:21 am »
hi people,

i had a sexual encounter with 2 sex workers in a night (2 were protected vaginal, 1 protected and 1 unprotected received oral) a week ago. 5 days ago  i had sore throat and runny nose but everybody in my office had that too. but i am unsure if i have ars because i have very bad armpit and groin pain since 2 days but my sore throat and runyy nose is not present - just feelin a little bit tired. no fever at all. (maybe a littile bit but i didn't feel it.

can it be ARS (in 3 days)? I am unsure that there was a condom breakage because it was very dark and I have used some alcohol.
should i get tested?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: too early ars?
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2008, 08:23:29 am »
ase,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You should know from your previous questions to this site that you did not have a risk for hiv infection with the sex workers. If the condom broke, you would have known about it. You don't need testing.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ase

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2008, 10:29:41 pm »
Thanks Ann but after that night I have still pain in my armpit and groin which come and go but very annoying and also some shortness of breath which causes a terrible dry cough.

I really doubt if I got something from those encounters. As I told before, I am unsure that there was a condom breakage at the second time.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2008, 02:51:20 am »
As you were told before, HAD the condom failed you would have known.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2008, 06:47:13 am »
ase,

If you're worried about pain and shortness of breath, you'll have to see your doctor. We can't help you with that over the internet. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with hiv as you were not at risk.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED TO TEST OVER THIS INCIDENT, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. Use them correctly and consistently and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ase

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2009, 07:46:31 am »
Hello people,

I am dating a girl for a month and we had sex last night for the first time. We started using a condom but after she got dry in her vagina, I took it off and continued without condom.
I am worried about it...

She told me that her last encounter was 4 months ago. She wanted to have sex without condom after she felt pain in her vagina but at first she was OK with it.

I don't know her past and she seems a little, how can I say, she likes sex. not so conservative, I mean.

Should I worry?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 08:04:32 am »
Ase, you should both get tested together if you 1) have decided to be monogamous together and are confident about that and 2) it should be at 13 weeks after the most recent unprotected incident. Assuming you both test negative then you can if you choose to dispense with condoms.

But that is a decision not to be made lightly -- only if you feel confident the relationship really is monogamous.

Otherwise you need to get tested to establish your status. And from now on you need to use condoms everytime. No exceptions whether she likes it or not. Perhaps if you use more lube (water-based only) the condom will be more comfortable for her. Otherwise everytime you have intercourse without a condom you are potentially putting your life at risk. It's as stark and as simple as that.
Andy Velez

Offline ase

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2012, 01:06:40 pm »
Hello people,

i wanna ask something. i had an encounter with an escort girl 4 days ago and had a protected vaginal intercourse and protected oral intercourse. She also used a "Bepanthene" creme on the condom. I didn't recognize any comdom breakage. She also did an unprotected handjob with a moisturizing handcreme.
Was this encounter safe?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2012, 04:10:49 pm »
Hello people,

i wanna ask something. i had an encounter with an escort girl 4 days ago and had a protected vaginal intercourse and protected oral intercourse. She also used a "Bepanthene" creme on the condom. I didn't recognize any comdom breakage. She also did an unprotected handjob with a moisturizing handcreme.
Was this encounter safe?

It was.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline ase

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2012, 11:39:14 am »
using bepantheneis not dangerous right?
i know waterbased libes are the best but is bepanthene ok?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2012, 09:40:31 am »
Bipanthene was designed to be used for certain rashes and other problems.

Ase, just keep it simple and always use a water based lube with condoms. That works and has no adverse effects on a condom.
Andy Velez

Offline ase

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2012, 03:29:58 pm »
Andy, thanks for reply but just to clarify: Bepanthene has no adverse effects, right?
I know water-based is the best one but what about Bepanthene? Does it diminish the condom's effectiveness?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2012, 03:40:19 pm »
No problem about that. And remember, if a condom fails it's very apparent it has happened. It's not about itty bitty little holes.

The whole thing goes and ends up as a hoop with fringe on the penis.
Andy Velez

Offline ase

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2012, 01:20:44 pm »
Andy,
thank you for answer.
As I said before, she even used for oral intercourse (twice) a condom. She put it with her mouth and gave me a blowjob.

Is this a risky move? I mean is it harmful for condom?
After oral she used that creme twice again.

And should I get tested for STD's in this circumstance?

I do have a monogamous relationship except this encounter and always have an STD panel once a year (mostly in summer) but I just don't want to cause any trouble to my girlfriend and myself.

Offline ase

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2012, 04:09:34 pm »
iI'd like to have a feedback anout that, i think you've skipped my topic?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2012, 05:19:45 pm »
You need to stop being a worrier without cause. Receiving oral even without a condom is not a risk for HIV. It's one of the most common of sexual activities. In the entire history of the epidemic there has never been a confirmed case of HIV transmission in that manner.

It's safe to say you are not going to make history by becoming the first.

Cut it out and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline ase

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2012, 06:55:09 am »
Just to clarify, you were right... Again! Thank you for your so valuable help.
I did a PCR test on day 15 and cam back negative...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.