Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:29:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 345
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Holistic additives to your daily life… what's worked and not?  (Read 6674 times)

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
Howdy,

I was wondering what other people have done by way of adding holistic ideas to their meds and exercise?  I've heard some good and bad about specific multivitamins and herbs, yoga and meditation and even aroma therapy.

So I was curious to find out what has worked and NOT worked for others?

Currently, on the advice of friend, I've been adding Turmeric to a lot of dishes.  The thought is that it helps with memory.  Don't know if it's working but my food does taste good.

Let me know.
Patrick
Bubba hugs!

Offline zach

Re: Holistic additives to your daily life… what's worked and not?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:23:35 pm »
Depends. In your query, what does "worked" mean exactly? Without knowing what you want to do, it is impossible to answer if something does it.

Worked to (insert goal).... and the answers will vary widely. Some goals will be unrealistic, some results will be completely unrelated to HIV.

Worked to suppress viral load? NOTHING but haart meds work to control HIV. Every day you don't take meds, is a day HIV is replicating. Period, full stop, end of discussion on viral load.

Worked to raise CD4 levels? NOTHING does that, not even haart meds. Time and patience AFTER reaching an undetectable viral load does that.

Worked to relieve stress? Yes, yoga works.

Worked to get a buzz? Yes, I highly recommend marijuana.

Worked to predict the weather and future? Some say tea leaves and chicken bones work great. Anecdotal at best, I'm skeptical however.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:10:42 pm »
When HIV was discovered, all types of "remedies" were offered with few, if any, that really helped in any measurable way.  My only advice would be, that if you choose to try some supplement that you will be putting into your body, that you review your choice with your doctor BEFORE you try anything, to be sure there are no contraindications to your use of it.

I love anything with wheels and I derive great pleasure from both rollerblading and cycling.  Montreal has miles of bike paths, away from the hustle of the city, which gives me time to enjoy nature and be alone with my thoughts.  I cherish these times as they let me work through whatever issues I may be experiencing, while also being surrounded by nature and getting some exercise as well.

Joe

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:14:32 pm »
When I was going through the wasting syndrome, I had a shoe box full of supplements...everything you could think of that was supposed to "fix" something.

None of them did a damn thing except cost me a lot of money.  Unfortunately, back then the meds were crap also.

HAART works.  I've heard exercise can help with mood.  I do that at times.  Work to relieve pain?  Morphine.  Memory?  I have no clue.  Mine is about shot.  What I do now is talk to other long term survivors and this year I'll be attending my first AMG in 8 years.  I can't wait!  I can meet these people I've interacted with all these years.  That helps my mood. 

Whatever works, do it. But be sure you're not throwing money in the shitter.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline DodgerDawg

• "Dude, It Could Be Worse"
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 07:41:30 pm »
I've taken a very conservative approach to Alt Meds / Supplements.

In the last week, I've decided to add the following to my ARV's (and long list of meds prescribed)

Omega-3 - 690 mg
Vitamin D3 - 2000ui
Bayer Aspirin - 81mg

I started taking these daily in addition to my regular meds just this week.

Can I prove anything? No. However based on my reading, It's what I've settled on.

DD

January 2014 CD4 = 5      .03%  VL = 1,800,000
June      2014 CD4 = 206  .15%  VL =            48
January 2015 CD4  = 211  .13%  VL =            71
June      2015 CD4 = 155  .12%  VL =             UD
July       2015 CD4 = 148  .11%  VL =             48

Offline AT

• Take your meds, keep your chin up and enjoy life.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 01:20:13 am »
Six months since my diagnosis I have this approach. Step one, I take my daily Complera to suppress my HIV without question. Two, I remind myself that the first step is most important.

Third, I'v made dietary changes to support my immune system. I drink a homemade tea almost everyday of turmeric, ginger, cayenne pepper, cinnamon and green tea. I eat an avocado about five days a week using a variety of simple ways to flavor it. I drink hot water with fresh squeezed lemon juice every morning. I've cut out fast food and highly processed foods. I shop organic as rationally as I can afford and learned how to cook several tasty, affordable recipes. In six months my CD4 has risen from 315 to 708 and I'm 50 years old.

I also meditate several times a week to relax and try to exercise regularly. Exercise is my "Achilles heel" because studies show it's very important to mitigating the bodily damage caused by HIV, but many days I'm still on the couch with lingering remorse. My only supplement is a daily multi-vitamin. Step five, I remind myself of step one.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 06:19:35 am »
I've benefited from acupuncture for stress reduction. Anything to reduce stress --exercise/walking, meditation, pulling away from things that agitate.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 07:40:03 am »
I do take calcium with Vit D.  I used to take a multivitamin but don't any longer since there is no proven evidence of vitamins doing anything?

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 08:21:14 am »
I do take calcium with Vit D.  I used to take a multivitamin but don't any longer since there is no proven evidence of vitamins doing anything?

Betty

Same for me knocked the multivitamins on the head, I just did not see the point in taking them.
I do daily drink milk fortified milk extra Vit D and protein, not due to HIV but just due to lack of sunlight, and I eat Live yoghurt.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 09:10:39 am »
Having been well documented by, you know, science flat-earthers, supplements are a waste of time and money. I'm not only sure, I'm HIV positive.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:16:16 am by Dachshund »

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 09:48:51 am »
I take a large dose of vitamin D ,
Also a regular 325 mg aspirin .
I like Joes answer !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 09:43:32 pm »

1) Take HIV med daily.

2) See one.

A strong support system of family and friends is good. Meditation and gratitude are healthy attitudes to embrace. Eat well, sleep well, and exercise. Usually, the three will work in tandem, as I have long found. Cut out processed foods. Supplements, including vitamins, are largely a placebo if you are eating/drinking well. The evidence for the efficacy of many of them is still being debated. (And some supplements aren't even what they say they are: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/?_r=0)

Great conversation over an herbal tea, warm baths, inspiring music, walks in the natural world, volunteering.... You really don't need supplements.

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 01:40:00 pm »
Thanks for the positive feedback folks!!  I appreciate it.

I realize that one must take the meds.  Wasn't looking for alternative.  I was simply wondering how some of you have added natural helpers.  Wanted to get some feedback as to what/if any supplements people liked or didn't like.  I've got one friend who swears by his turmeric pills.  His input was that he buys one particular brand because he didn't like others.  Plus.. some of y'alls talk of teas is nice.  OOOHHH!!!  And the acupuncture.  I SOOO want to try that.  These are the type of inputs I was looking for.

For me… I also look at anything that I can do to fight my ADD.  All the articles I've read state that getting vitamins from actual food is the best.  I know.. getting rid of the processed crap is the best starter.  I do LIVE by me some Penzeys spices.  And yes, I add turmeric to dishes like rice and corn.  If it helps… GREAT!  If it simply makes my food tastier.. that's great too.

Thanks for all your input!!  Keep 'em coming!

Bubba hugs!
Bubba hugs!

Offline buginme2

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 03:57:20 pm »
Supplements are a great way to separate a fool from his money.  I've often times thought of starting my own supplement company so I can sell vitamins and herbs to the masses so I can retire in peace on the beach off the coast of France. 

Not to mention thanks to the New York attorney general it's been shown that supplement companies (including GNC) are peddling products that don't even contain the ingredient the purport to be selling. 

So basically I'll sell little capsules of yellow colored flour, call it turmeric, put a picture on the bottle of some guy jogging, say it will help with something obscure that can't be measured like say..it helps with memory (prove me wrong) or it will make your bones stronger (again, prove me wrong) and voila ..cha Ching

Now...I do drink an energy drink before I workout...that's kind of a supplement..but it's mostly just caffeine...so I'm guilty as well.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 05:43:27 pm »
I should say I'm also on a prescribed medication for my osteoporosis.  But, since long-term HIV and certain meds are shown to age bones faster, that's why I take the calcium. 

I try to get my vitamins and other things from food.  I am guilty of drinking Coke, which I know I need to stop.  I had just read an article, in, oh, Money Magazine maybe, why soda is bad and I was surprised.  Of course everyone knows about the phosphorous in soda...it causes tooth decay faster.  If I can find the article now, I'll link to it later.

Of course the wisest thing is to have a conversation with your doctor.  Ask about any supplement you're thinking about taking.  Then do what I did with my doctor-ask for proof of scientific evidence they help.  I asked about vitamins, and he basically told me there is none, other than calcium and fish oil.

Betty

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.