Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:31:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 519
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 496
Total: 496

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: High CRP numbers... Possible heart condition  (Read 4954 times)

Offline brockhare

High CRP numbers... Possible heart condition
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:16:05 pm »
      I've been complaining to the doctor for at least five years about a pulling in my chest, tightness, etc.  I do have C.O.P.D. so sometimes I just brushed it off as that.  I have also experienced weakness in my legs for several years.  When I would tell the doctor, it was always put back on me.  I needed to exercise more, but I was until it just became too difficult. 

Finally, the doctor tested my "Creatnin-Reactive Proteins" a highly sensitive test he says.  My numbers were high.  Supposedly this just shows that there is inflamation in my body.  I had just a month ago swollen ankles, feet, and my right hand.  Doctor didn't see it because I was out of town.  He just brushed it off as a virus.  I guess my point to all this is:  I'm NOT CRAZY!!!!!!  How come I always feel like it's me when I'm suffering from something and the doctor makes light of it.  They act as if I'm being a hypochondriac (something I have NEVER been).  If anything I tend to ignore things and think they're just in my head until they become a problem. 

Now I am waiting for the state to approve my appointment with a cardiologist.  I'm hoping that they are going to run some more thorough testing than simple EKG, heart monitor, etc. 

Has anyone else been through this?   Please tell me all about your experience.  I'm not afraid.  I just want to know what others have experienced.  I know that the CRP results are a barometer of possible on coming heart attack.  More than likely this is all a reaction to so many years of HIV meds.  Just curious about others experience with heart issues that were more than likely caused by meds.  By the way I'm 50 years old, have been HIV positive for over 25 years.  Considered to have AIDS for at least 20.  CD4 is around 325.  It has never been very high.  Viral load is less than 400. 

I thank you in advance for sharing your personal stories, if you are so inclined.  Again, please don't feel that you need to console me, or paint a rosey picture for me.  I simply want facts, information, and your feelings about the situation if you wish. 

Hope to hear from at least a few of you. 

Brock

Offline Tadeys

Re: High CRP numbers... Possible heart condition
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 03:45:15 pm »
Weakness in your legs?  Any pain after waking a relative short distance?  You might want to read up on Intermittent claudication...perhaps it applies to you --  hope not. In regards to your chest pain, it can be MANY things: if you can pinpoint the area of pain with a single digit, then I would'nt be so worried; if the tightness covers--lets say, half your chest-- then thats another story. The duration of the chest pain is also important. A few seconds? Less then 30 minutes? Does the pain appear during exercize or when at rest?

CRP Is highly sensitive to inflamation; and this inflamation can be anywhere in your body. If CRP could predict a heart attack then everybody with a risk factor would be carrying a digital-CRP-meter in their pocket. could the inflamation be coming from your heart? Perhaps. But most likley it is coming from your gut-- the site of most infected cd4s.
You have not commented on any other risk Factors besides being HIV, male and  ...still smoking?

If I were you I'd mention METFORMIN to your new cardiologist ( read up on what it does to atherosclerosis and give your doc an article so he can read it and perhaps Rx it to you...even if you are not diabetic. A new work came out on adding 81 mg of aspirin to the cocktail too.

You should know that many cardiologist are not aware of HIV + cardiovascular disease. Hope yours does.  ;)

Ciao

Offline brockhare

Re: High CRP numbers... Possible heart condition
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:57:12 pm »
Thank you for your reply.  I will read up on Metformin.  The doctor has already prescribed aspirin in case I'm having a heart issue.  By the way, no my legs don't hurt when I walk on level ground.  I can walk 2 miles or so with no pain.  I'm sure that I can walk even farther, that's just how much I've walked my dog.  Also, smoking a couple weeks out of the year.  Vacation, etc.  Otherwise I don't.  I realize I should just not do it, since obviously I'm not addicted if I can smoke for a week and then not smoke for 6 months. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.