Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:07:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 539
Total: 541

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stopping Medications to find work?  (Read 4675 times)

Offline notsomuch

Stopping Medications to find work?
« on: April 18, 2014, 12:51:18 pm »
 I've been diagnosed with HIV since 08/13, I started on Complera which made me extremely sick, switched to Stribuild which seems to have less negative effects.

My levels are very low or undetectable but my medications keep me sick, nausea, vomiting, weakness, lethargy, severe migraines. To boot I'm on Lithium, Neurtonin and nausea medications and deep leg vein issues. Alprazolam for panic disorder, mood/manic etc.

My original SSDI was denied, my secondary appeals application is in process but I foresee them denying me again.  Since I'm so close to destitution I am in jeopardy of losing my apartment and even a place to keep the Marinol cold which helps me to eat.

I've been considering just stopping the HIV medications in hope that I would feel better to go out and try to find work?  The way it is while on my medications just doing my laundry is an all day affair so I can't imagine doing a 40 hour work week while on the medications.

I know by stopping the medications ultimately I will get sicker but I find myself in a desperate financial situation which may require me to try to find work even though I was fired from my last job for being sick too much.

I have written senators, have an advocate for my SSDI yet they keep dragging their feet and my bills and rent keep piling up and are postponed due to my inability to work without becoming fatigued.

Is stopping my medications a good idea until I can at least find a job and try to stabilize my financial situation or stay on the medications and risk being denied by SSDI a 2nd time thus throwing me into deeper financial chaos?

I'm not even sure if stopping the medications would allow me to feel better or not, has anyone been in this type of situation before?

Offline AusShep

Re: Stopping Medications to find work?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 01:18:52 pm »
I see you're on Lithium.  Do you think it's possible you're having a bi-polar depressive swing? 

Much of what you're saying sounds like depression.  My partner is on bi-polar medications, mostly for mania, and he's recently had a depressive swing that he wasn't aware of.  He kept asking me "are you sure I seem depressed?"  After getting him to talk with his Dr he's started an SSRI and is feeling much better.  The cost is under $5 a month, since he's on a generic, so don't let cost scare you off if you think you could be suffering from depression.

I'd also recommend talking your doctor about your side effects and get his take on it before deciding that Stribild is the problem and stopping on your own.

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:28:06 pm »
nah man, you wont feel any better stopping your meds. you'll get worse, maybe fast. maybe worse than you can imagine or bargain for. and your immune system wont be naive to your current meds, and possibly to whole class of meds, you may develop resistance. talk to your doctor about a med change for less side effects. but do it with a plan, under supervision.

your ss appeal, keep the representation, having an advocate seems to be the way you're supposed to play the game. there is a reason they drag their feet. its almost policy that the initial application is denied. on the plus side, if/when you do get it, the initial payment will include back pay starting at the date of your first application. the advocate will be paid out of that settlement. capped at 25% or i think about $6000, it read whichever is the greater value of the initial payment. they will not get motivated to act, until their payout has reached maximum. if you "only" have HIV, the odds are not in your favor. if you have full blown AIDS, those odds go up, but these days not as much. you will not get it based solely on side effects of meds. OIs and AIDS diagnosis are just about required these days.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 05:00:53 pm »
....Of course more people get approved for disability for mental reasons. 

Were I you, I would e-mail the White House.  Sound crazier than a shit house rat in your e-mail, continue with advocacy, writing to congress people, and see if anything happens.  The White House has helped me before. 

Going for disability on physical is difficult, but not impossible.  But don't let yourself get to near death just for disability, you may not make it back to health.  Work with your doctors on figuring out which med, or med combination, is giving all these side effects. 

Is one doctor prescribing all these meds, or two?  If two, make sure they're in touch with each other to compare meds, side effects etc.  It's counter-productive when you have two doctors who aren't in touch with each other.

Good luck, keep up the fight!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 05:44:12 pm »
I've been diagnosed with HIV since 08/13, I started on Complera which made me extremely sick, switched to Stribuild which seems to have less negative effects.

My levels are very low or undetectable but my medications keep me sick, nausea, vomiting, weakness, lethargy, severe migraines. To boot I'm on Lithium, Neurtonin and nausea medications and deep leg vein issues. Alprazolam for panic disorder, mood/manic etc.

My original SSDI was denied, my secondary appeals application is in process but I foresee them denying me again.  Since I'm so close to destitution I am in jeopardy of losing my apartment and even a place to keep the Marinol cold which helps me to eat.

I've been considering just stopping the HIV medications in hope that I would feel better to go out and try to find work?  The way it is while on my medications just doing my laundry is an all day affair so I can't imagine doing a 40 hour work week while on the medications.

I know by stopping the medications ultimately I will get sicker but I find myself in a desperate financial situation which may require me to try to find work even though I was fired from my last job for being sick too much.

I have written senators, have an advocate for my SSDI yet they keep dragging their feet and my bills and rent keep piling up and are postponed due to my inability to work without becoming fatigued.

Is stopping my medications a good idea until I can at least find a job and try to stabilize my financial situation or stay on the medications and risk being denied by SSDI a 2nd time thus throwing me into deeper financial chaos?

I'm not even sure if stopping the medications would allow me to feel better or not, has anyone been in this type of situation before?

If you stay unemployed, how long do you have until you lose your apartment? 
Seems like a rock and hard place for the medications. Sounds like in the long run you need both HIV meds and mental health meds so why go off either?  Both of them have to work together and won't that take awhile to figure out and benefit from, and feel better?

So what is the plan if you lose your apartment. Do you have friends, family, who? To listen, to help, maybe live with? Or can you get a roommate now to help pay the rent? 

One time I was thrown out of an apartment and had no money and no job and I had a date of a few weeks to find a solution. I told everyone I knew the dilemma and a guy who worked in a cheap student restaurant where I had been eating for 2 years didn't bat and eyelash and invited me to come live with him and all his buddies.  This suited me better than family and friends - who were being all middle-class about it.  We were basically in a very overcrowded flop house for restaurant workers and I lived there a year and it was altogether great and also what I could afford, until I had a new job, and money saved to get a new apartment.

Sometimes you never know where a helping hand can come from, I had this experience a few times.  That someone you didn't see as a friend in fact can be very generous, human, and become a friend, too.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 05:49:12 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline notsomuch

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 02:10:29 pm »
Thank you for all your ideas and input. My problem was that the initial sickness wasn't detected by the hospital for almost 5 months prior to my diagnosis on 8/13, of which several times I spent with fevers in excess of 104.5 without seeking treatment, then afterwards being admitted with high fevers and treatments for staff infections, both them and myself just thinking I had some type of flu. Nobody really knows what kind of damage that has done to me physically or neurologically between that time and my diagnosis, all I really know is that I wear out so quick from simple tasks such as laundry or getting groceries from the store, they become major events for me now. My father having to have a heart transplant several years ago and my mother a quad-bypass recently had my Primary request I have go in for ultrasounds on my heart.  I only can hope that they make a decision soon, life under a bridge doesn't really seem viable and I have no family that would be there for me as they are under nursing home care themselves. My infectious disease doctor didn't seem to like the idea of me stopping my medications to try to feel better so I guess I have no choice but to wait it out and see where fate takes me, again thank you for all of your input.

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 02:17:05 pm »
I don't think you should stop any medicine and I also don't think you should let fate take over your future.
Do you have an HIV/AIDS service organisation near you? Maybe what you need is some advocacy about your absence of security.  Can you get a social worker to help you figure out what your next steps are?  I would imagine that people would be motivated to help you avoid homelessness while the SSDI is taking such a long time.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline notsomuch

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 03:15:20 pm »
Well I tried to get help from ARCW but they turned out to be of very little help outside of a bag of food every month.  I just decided to stop taking my medications to try to feel better so I can find a job. Can't be on the streets, thanks for your time.

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 03:31:19 pm »

You are taking a lot of medicine. Why do you assume its the HIV medicine that has to go?  Isn't there a way for you to get a doctor to sort out the adverse effects so you can get the HIV medicine and the mental health medicine you need.

If I read your last post correctly, so you have now stopped the anti-retrovirals? 

Getting a job isn't all that easy no matter how great someone feels. 

I worry that there is something like an excuse or projection going on here.  That the HIV medicine has to go, in order to feel better (where is the guarantee of that), in order to get a job (where is the guarantee that will happen)?   If you are sure this is not a way to rationalise quitting HIV medicine for some other reason.... OK; god speed, I wish you the best of luck getting that job.   I feel a tiny bit of fatalism in what you have posted so far but it may be a complete misread, I hope so. 

Offline zach

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 03:32:08 pm »
i feel you are making a huge mistake. but that is your right. please reconsider.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.