Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:22:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773181
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 269
Total: 271

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Upset bowel evacuations  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Bernado

• Traveling my life!!!
Upset bowel evacuations
« on: October 21, 2017, 01:21:28 am »
Has anyone has had any constant upset bowel evacuations triggered by an antibiotic.
Two months ago I took lincomicyn to cure a soar throat but sadly I had diarrhea as a side effect which lasted for 15 days or so. I tried chamomile tea, probiotics and trimebutina which helped with the cramps and stopped the diarrhea but it came back after a week. I had my feces analyzed (twice) and even had blood tested for febrile reactions and both exams came out OK and without anything suspicious. Even though I don't longer see it as diarrhea per se (more of when you get an upset stomach when you eat certain foods), and go to the bathroom the normal times in a day, it's been on and off since the beginning getting, I would say better but I don't see the end of it.
I've been on Atripla for a 2 years and a half and I'm still undetectable and my CD4 are over 600. The doctor that is fallowing HIV treatment can't see me for this kind of illnesses and I'm seeing an internist who knows only the text book notion of HIV (sad truth here in Mexico) and says it's the normal process of an HIV patient but hasn't given me any specific treatment...
Has anyone had a similar problem? Any advice or suggestions?!! I'm not scared or anything but it's getting tiring!!!
"Sometimes is necessary for life to shake us very strongly to realize that the time we have left is not to be wasted."

Offline harleymc

Re: Upset bowel evacuations
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 07:54:39 am »
Having an upset gut can make your life a misery.

HIV doctors are not necessarily good at treating gut issues.

Try keeping a diary of foods and pay a visit to a nutritionist he or she may be able to assist. If the nutritionist can't help try an enterologist.

I found some foods make my gut issues a lot worse, and some better. The only way I found the patterns was to keep a very detailed diary of foods for several months. After that time I started eliminating one food at a time,  reintroducing it to my diet and repeating the process with the next food.

Offline Bernado

• Traveling my life!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:41:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice harleymc!

Thing is, I didn't had any problems up until I took the antibiotic, only the adjusting period at the very beginning.
   I've already tried keeping track of what I eat and I didn't notice any correlation at all. It's been almost a week since things got back to normal, yet again, but I still would like to know what really happened to avoid it in the future.
   Sigh!!! Guess I'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, I'm still eating a lot of fruit and vegetables, lactose free dairy and avoiding spicy food altogether and having vitamins recommended by my doctor.

Having an upset gut can make your life a misery.

HIV doctors are not necessarily good at treating gut issues.

Try keeping a diary of foods and pay a visit to a nutritionist he or she may be able to assist. If the nutritionist can't help try an enterologist.

I found some foods make my gut issues a lot worse, and some better. The only way I found the patterns was to keep a very detailed diary of foods for several months. After that time I started eliminating one food at a time,  reintroducing it to my diet and repeating the process with the next food.
"Sometimes is necessary for life to shake us very strongly to realize that the time we have left is not to be wasted."

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:55:03 am »
Antibiotics don't only kill the bacteria that they are given to kill.  Your gut is loaded with all sorts of beneficial bacteria that are often impacted when taking a course of antibiotics.  It's, also, not just that some of the "good" ones are killed off -- but with those out of the picture, some other "problematic" bacteria can sometimes take over causing other issues to you. 
Basically, antibiotics can be a double edged sword (though, when prescribed, you should always take them as ordered and take them in their entirety).
Generally, if your gut is badly impacted by antibiotics, things will get back to normal at some point - eating live culture yogurt definitely can help.  Sounds like you have come back to normal now.  Happy to hear!!!

Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.