Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:59:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 303
Total: 304

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: MY MYSTERY AIDS DIAGNOSIS? IS HEP. A Vaccine the Cause???????  (Read 4648 times)

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
MY MYSTERY AIDS DIAGNOSIS? IS HEP. A Vaccine the Cause???????
« on: February 21, 2007, 03:12:39 am »
I've gone over everything. 

So prior to these fucked up tests I had a run of the mill case of HIV.

On Feb 9th I had the 2nd shot for the Hep A vaccine series in my left arm.   30-60 minutes later I had my labs drawn.   And, I didn't get hepatitis, I got AIDS?

LAB Mess, doctor nurse incompetent?

How come none of them thought this could be a bad idea?   Was it a bad idea to do both on the same day?  YEAH!

So, I know I'd heard other shots could cause this, is the HEP A one of em?   Any personal experience with this? 

My counts were ok.    A month ago reasonable.   I'm not sick.   Mentally stressed for sure now.

But, my CD4 plumets from 354 to 139 while my CD4% magically rebounds from 23% to 30% in ONE MONTH?   

On Feb 8th I was HIV+   and now I have AIDS??????

This makes ZERO sense to me.   

Anyone care to make a wager?   I'll go for all or nothing at this point ; )

Wesley
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 04:18:24 am by AustinWesley »
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
Re: CAN HEP. A Vaccine Cause a CD4 drop to Aids and increase CD4%?????
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 04:09:05 am »
Good question. I had the series of shots 2 years ago because I work in a hospital. My first blood work ever for HIV as you know came back a week or so ago and it was 384/16000. My doc started me on Altripla yesterday. He said there was no reason for geno-type unless I had a problem and because I was neg 6 months ago. He said he wanted me to be undetectable as soo as poss. Not much help on your question though.
Meds doing well so far.

Offline whizzer

Re: MY MYSTERY AIDS DIAGNOSIS? IS HEP. A Vaccine the Cause???????
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 07:50:25 am »
Indy,

Your doctor is out-of-touch.  There are more cases of people that are initially infected with resistant virus than there ever has been before.  Recent papers have underscored the need for genotype testing in everyone before starting HAART.  Does this doc think he can look at you and know what mutations you may or may not carry? 

Chances are you will do fine on the Atripla, most do.  But this is your life we are talking about, do you really want to be treated by someone who is so cavalier with the choice of therapy?

Wes,

While which label you may have, HIV or AIDS, is really unimportant to your treatment, it seems very important to you.  Until your doctor reports you to the CDC as having AIDS, you don't officially have it.  Calm yourself.  Get another set of labs.  Then if you want to start meds,  start them.  Your doctor is there to advise and suggest, NOT to decide what course is best for you.

Don't allow yourself to be talked into or out of anything.  Get advice, get your questions answered, and make an informed choice FOR YOURSELF.  You are the one who has to live with your decisions, no one else.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 08:03:57 am »
Hey Wesley!

This shit has gone on for long enough.

AIDS or HIV it doesn't make one didly dick god dam of a difference. You've got the QueerPlague dear and no amount of fretting over what your doctors say is going to change that. I'm sorry that you're not the clean living gay man you hoped you would be, but the road of life is littered with disappointments.

You're just one of them.

You can whack as many labels on this as you want, the virus isn't gonna care. AIDS is just a diagnostic label. Supposedly it serves to identify the stage of HIV disease for the benefit of clinicians.

You're not a clinician. So what does it matter to you?

Take your tests and pills, live your life and accept the fact that you're a poz bod.

Most of all give the rest of us a break from the hystrionics.

MtD

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 08:07:22 am »

A HEP A, and/or HEP b vacination , can cause a spike(blip in the viral load) Not really sure what it may do to the t-cell counts.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 08:38:20 am »
To be honest I doubt that a vaccination an hour prior to lab draws would make any difference.  Perhaps a day or week before but not an hour.  I really think your labs are just a mistake of some sort and I doubt it was the nurse.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 09:28:36 am »
Wesley

The vaccination may or may not be the cause. The only way to determine this is to wait for your next lab results and see if they rebounded back up.  354 - 139 is a huge drop in one month and the next labs may be a number in between which still suggest you should begin to consider HAART. If it goes beyond 350 then congrats  you bought yourself another few weeks or months before you start meds but that is a decision YOU need to make. If your sanity is being compromised by your CD4 counts then start meds. Numbers are deceiving and stress can damage your immune system more than you think. If you are not happy with the way your doctor is handling things then change doc. I did.

Anyway Sweatheart, be brave. If I can do it (I am biggest wimp in New York City but can hide it very well) you certainly can as well.

Hugs

Al

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 10:01:16 am »
Hi Austin,

I figure since I lost sleep over this one, I should come in this morning and share.

First.  Those that have clearly described the difference between HIV and AIDS, based on the CDC description have mostly been correct.  Now, it doesn't have to be less than 200 CD4 AND an OI.  Just one or the other.  Please remember that now that you have "officially" been given the AIDS definition, a huge amount of assistance avenues have opened up to you that for now may not seem very significant.  In ten years or so, if you start to need more time off work, or God forbid, you are not able to work anymore; then getting any help will be so very much easier you just might not even believe just yet.  Don't look a Gift Horse in the mouth.  Getting anything from Social Security if you are a single male, and not diagnosed with full AIDS, is virtually impossible.

Second.  The difference is mainly descriptive in nature, and when you go below 200 CD4s you usually need more attention from your medical team, and you are clearly on the decline.  In the beginning, many went below the 200 mark very quickly, and very few of us survived the "Assumed" 10 year mark before the CD4 decline.  Most were affected by a rapid decline and early death in the '80's.

Third.  Austin, you should come to some peace about this soon, as the anger that you have displayed towards your doctor and yourself, is not healthy at all.  Really nothing is different in your health except that you might be having an early decline in CD4s which "Might" be tied to your virus, your dna, your own immune system or any of a myriad of things.  HEP vaccinations generally don't cause this, nor do Flu shots.  The sooner that you come to a place of peace about the fact that you will be taking medications for the rest of your physical life, the sooner you will be able to put this behind you and move on.

Fourth.  I lasted 11 years before my CD4 plumeted to 20, and now I have re-built that up to the mid 600's.  I accept that my new cells are naieve, and I also accept that I have a really shitty percentage and have not had a percentage above 20 for 13 years.  What does that mean?   I don't know, I only know that the sooner you work through this the better it will be for your own immune system.  Stress over things we cannot change is DEADLY and must be controlled if you are looking foward to living a full and productive life. 

Just my thoughts, from my own experience.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 10:55:17 am »

But, my CD4 plumets from 354 to 139 while my CD4% magically rebounds from 23% to 30% in ONE MONTH?   

This is an indication that there is something wrong with the current set of results (since the count and the % went in opposite directions).  You're probably actually closer to your previous number and %.  So a redraw is in order here.

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 11:21:23 am »
Hey Gerry,

Thanks!   That's my primary issue.   I'm gona retest.  I think the Hep A vaccine could've done it, not sure.

Yesterday was stress city for me.  I don't think my feelings are abnormal for my experience. 

Appreciate the well thought out responses, including the "gift horse" theory."  Should I need SSD I will work that angle.

Just thought it would be interesting now that I'm fairly calm today to get some opinions on the HUGE drop in 1 month?

Thanks for all your input.

Wesley

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 12:02:06 pm »
Wes,

My own opinion is that there was a problem with the lab test itself, whether human error or mechanical error or whatever. The numbers just don't add up in any way.

I also know that if I'd had a result like this so early in my diagnosis, I would have panicked too. However, time and experience have taught me that results like yours are most likely to be down to some sort of error and not at all accurate.

Hang in there Wes. I'd be very surprised if your re-take numbers aren't more what you're used to.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 12:34:13 pm »
Thank you Ann,

That's how I feel.   Doctor didn't call, but made sure the nurse did and agreed complete retest is in order.   No one wants to talk about that Hep. A vaccine the nurse dosed me up with in my arm just before the lab draw.

Crabby nurse said no, that wouldn't cause it, but it might cause a spike in your viral load which remained level.   So the nurse thinks the vac. might mess with VL, but not the % and CD4.   She also said it could be a "blip."    Not very convincing from her biased viewpoint ; )

Moffie65,

I appreciate your thoughts and feel bad you lost sleep over my case.    I did too ; )

Love ya guys!

Wesley

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 09:53:15 am »
Wesley,

It's good that you've already made a decision about meds irrespective of what the next lab draw results would show.  While the initial Hep A vaccination could not have affected your numbers (because of the timing; the vaccination and the lab draw were done almost simultaneously), just remember that it's about a couple of weeks now after the vaccination when you got your re-draw; this means that the Hep A shot could now very well affect your numbers negatively, even though only transiently.  (Not to mention the stress that the last results put you through in the first place).

Gerry

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 12:19:20 pm »
Hey Gerry,

Interesting thoughts.   I guess I'll find out next Wednesday when the new labs come in.   I don't know.   If stress has that much of an impact then I should be dead by now ; ) 

I'm just planning on this number to be the right one and if not, then I'll be happy I guess.    Now, so you think 10 days later or so the vaccine would cause it to screw up labs?

If the Hep A vaccine affects viral load then wouldn't it also by association affect the other numbers?    The only thing which stayed relatively the same was my viral load at 23,000  just down slightly from 28000.

Thanks,

Wesley

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.