Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:14:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 350
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: high cholesterol and omega  (Read 8772 times)

Offline julius

high cholesterol and omega
« on: August 08, 2006, 12:15:35 pm »
My cholesterol has shot up again, I'm on sustiva and trizivir and the doctor seems to think it's part meds part family history.
My question is I've been reading about taking 3,000 mg of omega 3 once aday along with my pravochol and gemfibrozil. Has anyone else ever tried taking the omega to lower cholesterol?
Thanks

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: high cholesterol and omega
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 08:53:28 pm »
Hi Julius,

There was nothing wrong with my cholesterol, until I started on meds. And it started rising about 6 months into them.

Some of these meds will cause the cholesterol to rise. I am on viramune, Epzicom and Viread.

You can try the Omega 3's and see what results they may produce. I take the Omega 3,6,9,( fish oil, flax, and borage 1200mg, once a day. ( in one Capsule)

I have tried watching my diet, tried several differant supplements, to see if I can get the cholesterol down, but was not really successful.

The doctor then put me on Zocor, which did help to lower the cholesterol, but I have stopped the Zocor  (since July 11th.06) per doctors requests, because of ill effects. I will be curious on my next tests, how much the cholesterol has shot up.

Try exercising, try the Omega 3's and, and watch your diet. See what results, that may produce for you. If nothing seems to work then you may have to started on cholesterol lowering medication.

Check out this leson :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/Lipids9.htm

Take care/ let us know how you are doing-------Ray
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 08:55:21 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jacques

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 12:04:23 am »
Hi Julius,

I also have a problem of high cholesterol and triglycerides. I have been prescribed "Fenofibrate" as a lowering medication, but this don't seam to be enough. So I began taking supplements of fish oil (omega3)to help.  1000mg ,3 times a day with meal.

The benefits are modest but valuable. The only real benefit I get is a notable raise (+25%)of the good cholesterol(HDL).The bad one(LDL)is down by approximately 3%. Well, I guess this is better than nothing. My doctor was  pleased with the results but not enough, so he decided to switch me from Kaletra to Reyataz. I am waiting for my next lab scores in early September to see how it works.

But I will still continue my fish oil.

Jacques

Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 07:49:05 am »
Hi guys on my last results I had had to see an endocrinologist because of low HDL and high triglycerides.  In the end he thought it was just another side effect.
Talking with a nutritionist , she said that we Americans get an over abundance of Omega 6. The ratio between Omega 3-6-9 is important.
So I just take Omega 3.
As for flax seed the only way to get benefits is from the seed. The oil gets rancid very fast and breaks down in cooking .

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Omega6FattyAcidscs.html

I found out that we should eat only a fistful of rice. But what I can't find out  or get  a good explanation is how oatmeal distinguishes between bad and good cholesterol.

Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline julius

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 11:38:26 pm »
Thank  you all so much for your replies, You have helped me so much,I am so happy that I have found this site!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 01:53:43 am »
Hey Julius,

I take 4,000 milligams of fish oil a day, plus one Zetia and Niaspan (500 mg, soon to increase to 1,000 mg a day if no ill effects).

My doc put me on Vytorin, which is a combo of Zetia and Zocor. Unfortunately, it was going to kill me rather than help me, so the doc pulled me off.

As Ray said, watch your diet, try the fish oil, exercise and see what happens.

Oh, my high cholesterol was caused by the meds too. Never had a problem before starting them.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 12:17:23 pm »
Hi guys you might want to check out omega 3 from here:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupplements/Omega3FattyAcidscs.html

AlsoI had posted in nutrition forum the link for the main site - worth checking out- it was the defining factor in doing bee pollen!
Cheer
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 02:37:11 pm »
Hello Johnny,

Thats too coincidental !!! I was just going to thank you for posting this, and then your PM came through. ;)

A lot of good information in that link. Thanks----------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2006, 04:19:28 pm »
What I found interesting (besides posting the site twice ) is if you are on blood thinners it is not a good option. This is why it is important to really check things out before using anything
 I hope this helps !  There is also a Spanish link which I posted .
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2006, 04:34:28 am »
be careful with provochol (and maybe other statins as well) because my mom took it for only a few years and now she has neuropathy (numbness in feet and hands); the doctor says it's from the provochol.  He took her off it and just started her on zetia.  good luck.
Sam

Offline koba

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2006, 03:12:34 pm »
My cholesterol has been high for years, probably unrelated to the meds I have taken for only 2 years.  Diet and Lipitor made only a small difference, until, 3 months ago, my naturopath suggested STERISOLS.  I have been taking these, and my latest cholesterol values are normal or almost normal.
This may be worth trying for you, it is not expensive.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.