Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 344
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: "I Am Second" Says Yo Mama Caused You To Be Gay. Oh, And You're Going To Hell  (Read 11030 times)

Offline tednlou2

This religious group called, "I Am Second," has been getting a lot of attention lately, since American Idol winner, Scotty McCreery, wore their bracelet during the season.  And, the group has been using him to advance their cause.  That is so funny, because isn't idolatry a way worse sin than teh gay?  I've been noticing a couple friends and family members posting on Facebook about how great the group is.  At first, I thought this was a more tolerant religious group, and focused on the real messages of Christ--you know, the poor and the sick.  But, it really just seems like another ME group regardless of its name.  Anne Rice had done a video for them, but I think decided she was now an atheist again or something. 

I went to their site to see what they had to say about homosexuality.  Looking at a religious group's views on that is a pretty good indicator of what kind of church or group it is.  Well, they link you to one of their partners for answers to common questions.  Well, they do hate the gays.  They go into all the hell fire, it's a sin, going to hell stuff.  But, they also go into the psychology (as they see it) as to why homosexuality happens.  They blame weak fathers and really blame dominate mothers.  Religion has always been bad to women.  They say girls become gay probably due to playing too many sports instead of being feminine.  It would be funny, if it was not so sad.

My question:  How do you deal with people who are members of churches and religious groups that engage in hateful messages about gays?  I realize most of us wouldn't have any friends, if we got rid of every friend who went to church.  I think many of us just overlook it--especially if the church doesn't make homosexuality their focus and doesn't get politically involved.  And, there are some churches that believe being gay is how God made ya.  After reading this group's views, it is just hard to dismiss that when friends "like" the group on Facebook and go on and on about the group.  Does anyone here know much about the group?  Would you just overlook it?  I've already had a friend tell me that liking the group doesn't mean they agree with all their views.  But, this message is the kind of thing that causes gay teens to commit suicide, or hate themselves which causes many to get married to women or men for our gay sisters and live a lie.  I don't know how to separate political and religious views with my friends and family.  I often wish I was one of those people who doesn't seem to care about anything but football, so I don't get into debates and arguments over things that are important.  I wish I didn't take these things so personally.  I know I couldn't "like" or be part of a group that said such awful things about anyone I cared about, or even strangers for that matter.   

By the way, do you think American Idol or any show would allow contestants to wear anything from a group that said such bad things about Jewish people, black people, women, Republicans, Dems?  Religion always gets an exemption. 

Here is the "I Am Second" site about common questions.  Or skip to the next link (where this one would take ya anyway):

http://www.iamsecond.com/get-involved/freedom-tools/

http://www.hopefortheheart.org/site/DocServer/OLQR_Homosexuality.pdf?docID=400

Offline Matts

Why is religion so fanatic in the USA?
Dovato

Offline wolfter

It'll be a joy to read the many responses that religious issues bring out.  I enjoyed reading their "manifesto" because I was lucky enough to escape the bonds of Christianity.  I wasn't at all surprised by their teachings as I had that indoctrination in the Baptist church at an early age.  Revered Lynn preached that same hatred with the fired tongue that scared the holy shit of you. 

A long time ago I was told that god gives each of us one sin that we need to spend a lifetime praying about in order to receive his divine kingdom.  We must face those daily struggles and work on over coming that sin.  Well my experiment didn't work.  After years and years of struggles and prayers, my heart and brain were polar opposites.

Not too long ago, I commented on a FB post indicating my agnostic beliefs and was promptly inundated with messages from family members.  Here in the Bible Belt, that's worse than any other sin including homosexuality!  It was another liberating moment to explain my deep internal feelings on the subject and that I am no longer bound by external factors and expectations.  I lived a lie for too long and refuse to do so any longer.  It's now all about me.  I tried it their way and it's now time to enjoy it my way.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

Why is religion so fanatic in the USA?

I blame it on the Pilgrims.  
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:01:50 am by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
When I am reasonably well I spend time on a small island off North coast off Scotland. It has a very strong Baptist community off which a family who are a lynch pin in that Church are friends, to the surprise off all off us. for me its very important to be honest , we all Know where we stand they know I might burn in the fires off Hell and i know there good for a laugh.

Human,s  we is very odd
mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
It would be funny, if it was not so sad.
Amen.

Institutionalized stupidity - you don't deal with it. Ignore it or run away.

There are too many cro-magnon churches and if I were in charge, all religion would lose tax exemption, since even the old classics seem hopelessly polluted.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
My question:  How do you deal with people who are members of churches and religious groups that engage in hateful messages about gays? 

I generally just chalk them up to being assholes and go about my business. What religious people choose to focus on reflects the content of their character.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!

I realize most of us wouldn't have any friends, if we got rid of every friend who went to church.  

What? Where do you live... the Vatican?  Probably less than a quarter of my friends go to church.

And why would I want to base a friendship on whether they go to church or not? It's more about the person for me, and clearly dynamics itself would purge those who had anti-homosexual beliefs regardless of their church going status. That is unless if I had a stealth homo hating church going friend in my midst...but that is their problem not mine.

But yes, this "I am Second" thing is bullshit, and I hope it is brought to light and bites McCreary in the ass.

-Will
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 11:21:07 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
What? Where do you live... the Vatican?  Probably less than a quarter of my friends go to church.

I know.  I can't name many folks that I know who actually go to church (except for my ex, and I'm sure that he only went in a vapid attempt to "pray the gay away"). 

So, my momma made me a queer?  She has always been so fabulous and fashionable, thank G_d.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
But yes, this "I am Second" thing is bullshit, and I hope it is brought to light and bites McCreary in the ass.

He's probably already doomed.  He won Idol, didn't he?  That most likely means he is bound for obscurity soon enough.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."

I realize most of us wouldn't have any friends, if we got rid of every friend who went to church.

I submit that many would be lost and befuddled on so many levels if all gay people disappeared.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:57:04 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
I didn't vote for him anyway   ;D

I didn't like the way he acted around Gaga, as if she was some kind of weird freak to be 'avoided'...wasn't just him though, seemed they all acted that way.   No one considered taking any of the 'advice' she offered....(I'm sure she was so hurt -- NOT)

On another note, I have a story that could only happen here in the South.... a good friend got involved with a guy last year who was very 'religious', in the pentecostal kinda way.....insisted they be 'Married' (so it's ok to be gay and pentecostal?  as long as you don't have alcohol at the reception?)  I kid you not, they toasted with sparkling cider....

A year later, the guy packs up and moves out while my friend is at work; says he could not reconcile in his heart being married to someone who "drinks beer".   My friend told me about a few of the 'church services' he attended with these highly perfumed, jewely-laden queens -- they actually talked in tongues and some of them fainted.

Pentecostal gays -- only in Alabama   ;D

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
-- they actually talked in tongues and some of them fainted.

.... but were they good at handling snakes?     ;) 

Inquiring minds and all that....
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
I didn't vote for him anyway   ;D

I didn't like the way he acted around Gaga, as if she was some kind of weird freak to be 'avoided'...wasn't just him though, seemed they all acted that way.   No one considered taking any of the 'advice' she offered....(I'm sure she was so hurt -- NOT)

On another note, I have a story that could only happen here in the South.... a good friend got involved with a guy last year who was very 'religious', in the pentecostal kinda way.....insisted they be 'Married' (so it's ok to be gay and pentecostal?  as long as you don't have alcohol at the reception?)  I kid you not, they toasted with sparkling cider....

A year later, the guy packs up and moves out while my friend is at work; says he could not reconcile in his heart being married to someone who "drinks beer".   My friend told me about a few of the 'church services' he attended with these highly perfumed, jewely-laden queens -- they actually talked in tongues and some of them fainted.

Pentecostal gays -- only in Alabama   ;D

I have gone out with one of them, after the second date when I told him I was an atheist and he mentioned he was devoutly religious he cried and said we couldn't go out any longer.  Crisis avoided!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
You can always fake the talking in tongues thingy , just start hollering Chaka Khan and they wont know the difference .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline AlanBama

no, this particular bunch is way too gay to "handle snakes".   ugh, can you imagine?

It seems like this particular bunch of pentecostal gays wants to target their 'hatred' at those who drink, since they can't target it at homosexuality (they're all gay!)    That seems to be a central mantra for them, "Find somebody to hate".   LOL
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
no, this particular bunch is way too gay to "handle snakes".   ugh, can you imagine?

Just trouser snakes.

Offline AlanBama

Ford, if you saw them, you wouldn't even suggest that...LOL

The over-perfumed, over-coiffed, over-jewelled, overweight types....

"Lips that touch liquor shall never touch mine"..... ;)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.