Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:44:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 387
Total: 390

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ~  (Read 17290 times)

Offline Eldon

~
« on: May 31, 2006, 08:37:30 pm »
Starting a non-governmental organization or a non-profit organization (NGO/NPO) can be a lengthy, time consuming process. However, the difficulties of the process can be minimized by following a consistent series of steps and seeking advice when needed.

NGO/NPOs provide much needed services to their respective communities, and thorough planning during the start-up process is crucial to develop an effective and professional organization that is able to meet the myrid challenges faced by the world today.

There are many classifications of NGO/NPOs as determined by individual country's laws and regulations, including co-ops, credit unions, societies, people's organizations or community groups etc. The classifications can also designate NGO/NPOs as a religious, charitable, educational, scientific, literary or other organizations. These organizations may qualify for income tax exemption, or other financial benefits. Regional and local tax exemptions may also apply on a region by region basis.

This article provides an outline of the general steps needed for starting and incorporating a NGO/NPO. Detailed instructions for each of these steps can typically be obtained from local governments or a designated government agency/board, an attorney, or a local nonprofit management support organization.

The issues covered here are of a very general nature, and actual situations will, of course, vary from country to country. Starting an NGO/NPO may only require a strong vision, or a need, for people to come together as a group and work to satisfy that need. NGOs can range from 1-2 persons working on a single local issue to an international NGO network with thousands of members working globally on a range of issues.

This feature is primarily based on the work of GDRC, itself an NGO, and the interaction it has had with other NGOs via its programme, the "NGO Café

« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:09:45 pm by Eldon »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Introduction---Organization Fund Raising Project
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 08:58:43 pm »
No Matty, I don't have room to put it. But if you don't want to vote that is fine. We are in the business of helping others.

Eldon,

I fear you misunderstood me, so I apologise if you were/are upset. I'll overlook the 'helping others' comment. Sometimes misunderstandings on the net lead to such things and I'm sure we're all able to move on. I just wondered why the poll seemed incomplete. Now I know why, it was a technical thing. And no, I didn't vote in it.

Nevertheless, I've read your threads on this and I don't still don't understand what you're trying to achieve. No doubt this a fault on my part. Will this fundraising thing only apply to Americans? If that's the case why should Australians care? What does AIDSMEDS have to do with it? I was the Treasurer of an AIDS Community Group here in Australia for a while. I did a lot of fundraising (and I still do for other organisations) so I appreciate the work it requires.

I also think that community fundraising is important especially for AIDS. It creates a sense of community ownership of the issue and enables people to feel that they can do something as individuals.

Fondly

MtD
(Who hopes this clarifies his position)

Offline Cliff

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 03:36:52 am »
Eldon,

Before you move forward with this thing, I think you need to get some buy-in from the members.  Right now, the overriding comment from people have been:

1.  What's the purpose of this fund?  And unfortunately, saying that this is to raise money for people with HIV just doesn't provide enough details.

2.  Why must this fund-raising take place in the forums?  There is a limitation to what the forums can do.  The primary purpose is the exchange of communication and ideas to help and support those living with (affected by) HIV/AIDS.  It's not necessarily a vehicle for raising funds (for various reasons).  Now there are times when the nature of the fund-raising is very specific and relevant to the forums (such as the Aidsmeds gathering).  That is an event specific to the forums.  People have a very thorough understanding of the nature of the fundraising (i.e., the goals, the planned usage) and more importantly there is built-in structure to ensure proper usage of the funds.

Unfortunately, the burden is on you to help bridge the gap of any miscommunications/understandings.  The ideas and thoughts that are in your head may be perfectly sound, but unless you can share those thoughts and ideas with us, we can only guess as to the intent (and when it comes to money, people are very reluctant to take part in something that is vague and ambiguous).

Good luck and I hope you take the questions you have received (from numerous people), not as a critique on you personally but as a desire to understand what it is you are trying to accomplish here and why is it relevant to the Aidsmeds forum.

Cliff

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 12:36:30 pm »
Objective:

To concentrate my efforts on AIDS awareness, fund raising, speaking and teaching.

AIDS Awareness:

Raise awareness in order to combat this epidemic.  To partner with an organization whose mission is to provide crucial services for men, women, and children living with HIV/AIDS and to raise awareness of the HIV/AIDS epidemic through advocacy and education.

Fund Raising:

To benefit AIDS service organizations worldwide.

Speaking & Teaching:

To speak and teach on various topics related to HIV/AIDS.
•   Build relationships within diverse ethnic and cultural communities
•   Assess individuals' risk for HIV exposure/infection
•   Identify appropriate risk reduction strategies
•   Conduct outreach activities to recruit program participants and peer educators
•   Coordinate, schedule and conduct group and individual HIV risk-reduction interventions
•   Implement evaluation tools
•   Assist in coordination and participate in community events, health fairs, and festivals
•   Attend local planning groups, community forums and collaborations or consortium meetings
•   Participate in supervision and agency staff meetings
•   Ensure program objectives targeted at MSMs are met as required by contract

The forums will be used for networking purposes.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 01:07:06 pm »
I may be dense...but you are planning this undertaking on a global level? I mean even UNAIDS has major problems operating on a global level. Adapting procedures and policies to existing laws and customs worldwide would be a monumental task in itself. Implementing something like this would be a stupendous undertaking that would take millions...maybe billions of dollars. I admire your altruism and I have read your objectives over and over...and I still just don't get what you are aiming for.

As I said...maybe I'm dense.

Peace,
Hal

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 01:11:19 pm »
Eldon, I don't mean to sound callased here, but come on.  Are we really going to raise a few hundred bucks for WORLD betterment?  I think you are biting off a bit more than you can chew here.  Since we come from all parts of the world, who benefits from said fundraising?

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 09:52:44 pm »
I'm in negotiations with other organizations, and seats are open for the board of advisors for this foundation that is being formed. We will mainly work with other organizations. This is the beginning of a new NPO for the NIH's and others who need our help.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 10:08:48 pm »
Eldon,

Some more questions - because I really don't understand some of this stuff. I mean I understand that this project is some sort of AIDS NGO and I appreciate stuff you've already posted, but perhaps you could clarify some things.

To wit:

What is the name of this organisation?
    Why are the AIDSMEDS Forums the "network" for this?
    Is it US based or International?
    Is AIDSMEDS affiliated with this organisation and if so, why haven't the Adminstrators said anything?
    Are AIDSMEDS members the only people eligible for election to this board of directors?
    If not, will other people be using our Forums for the business of this Foundation you're setting up?
    How will the money aspect of all this work?

I could go on but these should do for now. I must say that a couple of other HIV+ members of AIDSMEDS have PM'd me wondering what's going on. I really think it would be helpful for you and for the rest of us if you address some of these things.

Fondly,

MtD

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 10:16:24 pm »
Matty,

I'm willing to address any of the issues that you may have. I'm in the middle of facilitating this sou that there is a solid foundation to address National and International agendas.

This is one of the main reasons why I'm forming the advisory board of council for the National AIDS Foundation.

If it is not right , I am open for any suggestions and I will respond appropiately.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 10:20:05 pm »
Eldon,

I appreciate that you're busy with this and may not have the time right away to provide detailed answers to my questions. I'm sure you'll answer our questions as soon as you can and we look forward to that. Perhaps you could tell us the name of the Foundation and where we may locate information about it in the meantime.

Is there a website, or postal address or such?

MtD

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 10:47:29 pm »
Please forgive me if I am uninformed, but  : 1.) I thought there already existed a "National AIDS Foundation"
2.) If the title of the entity is "National AIDS Foundation", how is that to be addressed by the world at large, if your desire is to make this a  global foundation. 3.) Have you addressed the owners of this site concerning your expectations of utilizing these forums as a springboard?

I'm feeling terribly uncomfortable about all of this.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 01:08:02 am »
Eldon,
Why would you not already have the answers to the myriad of questions put forward? It seems every post causes more confusion and questions left not answered. I must agree with Lisa the whole thing makes me uncomfortable.

Hal

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 01:29:41 am »
I'm sure that Eldon is working hard to provide us with the answers we need to understand what he wants he's trying to achieve with this. I'm confident that he will soon clear up all our doubts with clear, concise responses to everything that we've asked.

MtD

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 03:00:59 am »
Might this be called the Eldon fund, or something similar?

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2006, 03:54:15 pm »
Hi Forums Family...

Eldon and I had a lengthy discussion last weekend about his original thoughts on this 'dream'.

I am convinced that his heart is in the right place, and have no doubt that his intentions are honorable.

One of the interesting things to me was the timing of his original thread, as I have been trying to come up with a way, myself, to formalize my little "Zephyr Foundation" with the inspiration from one of our other members here on the forums.  My discussions had been on-going for two months or so, and all of a sudden, here comes Eldon, with a larger plan on his mind.

My thoughts had only to do with a 'support mechanism' for those of us who travel to donate blood, tissues, and cells to the Clinical Studies located in the U.S. The basic premise, for me, was a more formal funding source to assist us with costs that do not get covered for our travel or our meals, etc., that I have needed to request assistance with. As our LTNP 'community' is growing larger by the day, I was recognizing a need for perhaps a more 'organized' fund existed.

Maybe what Eldon is trying to do here is quantify the interest by our Forums membership to investigate the possibility of creating this 'Fund Raising Project'. Of course, their are integral points that need to get clarified, as referenced above: area of coverage, who benefits from the funds, can such an endeavour receive sanctioning from Smart & Strong, what is the mission statement, etc.

I would definitely be interested in joining an Organizational Committee whose premise would be to gather information on this issue.

I think we need to declare a more succinct 'mission statement' and proceed with that first, before details like a name ensue.

Eldon, I apologize for not chiming in sooner, as I have had an overwhelming month, and am preparing for my trip to the NIH on June 14th.

I hope this helps, folks, in your deliberations about this.

Zephie

"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2006, 04:15:34 pm »
I am sorry to sound so cynical, but I am not sure this is a proper medium for this discussion.
Forgive me if I speak out of turn, but this venture is too far-reaching, and perhaps out of place for these forums.
While I feel that Eldon has all good intentions, I feel quite strongly that sanctions from the site owners/administrators would be the first place to sound this idea.
In all reverence, I believe this is a tad bit beyond what these forums were intended.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2006, 04:23:09 pm »
definitely a more focused approach would be preferred... very specific goals to achieve... I personally think rather than overlapping work being done in many areas and being too global, the LTNP 'zephyr foundation' would be a good direction to go.   This is something that is woe-fully underfunded and is a need that is really there that can't be met from other sources. 

I would seriously suggest that this be a direction considered for this venture for some specific reasons. 
  • the need is there and is not being met
  • it doesn't overlap local groups already providing services
  • it has a long term goal of helping us ALL
  • without people like this, we may never find a cure
  • it is focused and concise in a mission statement

Even though the name of a member, zephyr means 'strong wind' essentially.   That's what I think we need.  We will huff and we will puff and we will blow your.... well... haven't decided on the ending of THAT one yet.

Bailey (who went to Whitehall HS which is the 'home of the Zephyr's) :)

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2006, 04:46:24 pm »
I agree with Bailey, I think our efforts should be focused on what we have been doing with the " Zephyr Foundation" We know where and to whom those monies are going and feel comfortable contributing to help "our own" I'm not trying to down play what you are striving to do Elton but I don't t hink, as others have already said, this is the place to do it.
 Just my two cents worth...
Jena

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2006, 06:15:42 pm »
Eldon,

I really think you need to explain this project/foundation thing to us. I implore you. People are terribly confused and I suspect that your good work may be unravelling. It would be a shame if that were to happen. Some simple answers would, I've no doubt, fix this up in everyone's mind and then we can come to a decision as to what we might do.

Fondly,

MtD

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 11:45:42 am »
Wow Guys....... I agree with a little of everything that all of you are presenting here, yet in all that, I have some very important and very pressing issues that have not been made in this discussion, and I am not terribly interested in saying anything without some more focus going on here.  This opportunity/challenge, is far too important for us to just abandon, or not complete, just because we have no focus.

Just a hint.  There are people on this forum that are dying, because they don't have a steady access to medications.  In that light, can we have an open discussion about helping people to get to Washington to support a program that may or may not affect many present members of this forum?

This is just one question that came to my very full and confused mind this weekend.

In Love, 

(who is totally willing and anxious to sit on this "Advisory Board")
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 11:47:15 am by Moffie65 »
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Eldon

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 04:15:22 pm »
Starting an NPO may only require a strong vision, or a need, for people to come together as a group and work to satisfy that need. NPO’s can range from 1-2 persons working on a single local issue to an international NPO network with thousands of members working globally on a range of issues.

“There are a number of questions that our members of AIDSMEDS have to ask, and this is an attempt to clarify any questions that you may have” - Eldon

Q. Will this fundraising thing only apply to Americans?
A. No both National and International

Q. What does AIDSMEDS have to do with it?
A. Networking resources, and awareness

“I also think that community fundraising is important especially for AIDS. It creates a sense of community ownership of the issue and enables people to feel that they can do something as individuals.” Quote by MtD.

Q. What is the purpose of the fund?
A. To administer support for HIV/AIDS cases Globally. To include; awareness, prevention, support, NIH, speaking, and teaching.

Q. Why must this fund-raising take place in the forums?
A. Networking, resources, and awareness

***To reiterate the goal, vision, purpose, of this project:

To DEVELOP an organization to concentrate our efforts on HIV/AIDS awareness, its prevention, support, speaking, teaching, and NIH Global parties. To PARTNER with an organization(s) whose MISSION is to provide crucial services for men, women, and children living with HIV/AIDS.

Q. Who benefits from the said Fundraising?
A. Everyone does.

Q. What is the name of the organization?
A. TBD by the Board of Advisors

Q. Why are the AIDSMEDS Forums the “network” for this?
A. Networking, resources, and awareness

Q. Is it US based or International?
A. This will be an US based organization which shall network on and International level as well.

Q. Is AIDSMEDS affiliated with this organization?
A. This is under inquiry status

Q. Are AIDSMEDS members the only people eligible for election to this Board of Directors?
A. No, AIDSMEDS members will have the opportunity to become a part of our organization.

Q. If not, will other people be using our Forums for the business of this Foundation you're setting up?
A. No. The organization will have a link to its own website to do business.

Q. How will the money aspect of all this work?
[move]A. This shall be a part of the Advisory Committee which shall have a Treasurer and Secretary on the Board.[/move]

“For this very reason an advisory board of council for the Foundation (proposed name TBD) shall be formed”.  – Eldon

Q. Is there a website, or postal address or such?
A. This area is under development.

Q. Might this be called the Eldon fund, or something similar?
A. The name of the NPO is TBD.

“I am convinced that his heart is in the right place, and have no doubt that his intentions are honorable.”  ---Zephie

“While I feel that Eldon has all good intentions, I feel quite strongly that sanctions from the site owners/administrators would be the first place to sound this idea.” --- Lisa

“Definitely a more focused approach would be preferred... very specific goals to achieve... I personally think rather than overlapping work being done in many areas and being too global, the LTNP 'zephyr foundation' would be a good direction to go.” ---Dingo

“Wow Guys....... I agree with a little of everything that all of you are presenting here, yet in all that, I have some very important and very pressing issues that have not been made in this discussion, and I am not terribly interested in saying anything without some more focus going on here.  This opportunity/challenge, is far too important for us to just abandon, or not complete, just because we have no focus” --- Moffie65

Q. In that light, can we have an open discussion about helping people to get to Washington to support a program that may or may not affect many present members of this forum?
A. Yes, we can have an open discussion on this topic.

Dear Members,

I am in hope that this will clarify some questions that you all may have out there.

Eldon

Thanks to: Dingo, Zephie, Paul, Matty, Moffie65, and all others….

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 04:57:48 pm »
I still don't get it....I am still just as confused...it does not answer any questions, and frankly I think it is not appropriate for AIDSmed. But,I am still willing to listen.

Peace,
Hal ???

Offline Cliff

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 06:02:33 pm »
I still don't get it....I am still just as confused...it does not answer any questions, and frankly I think it is not appropriate for AIDSmed.
I agree.  Three-five word responses, doesn't even begin to address the legitimate concerns, and quite frankly, such short and vague responses come off almost insulting, (even if unintentional).  But whatever...too much time has been invested in trying to get clarity and it's perfectly clear (no pun intended) that clarity just ain't gonna happen here.  I don't think the intent is devious.  I believe Eldon's heart is in the right place and the desire is there to do some good.  But unfortunately, what's missing is proper communication.  And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 06:28:01 pm »
It sounds to me like Eldon has already committed to pushing forward with this project irrespective of what input he gets from the members of this forums.  It also seems like what he is asking for right now is participation in the "Advisory Board" and certainly anyone has the option to volunteer for that.  The majority of us will probably wait and see what evolves, especially once a website gets created, to get more clarity, since none seem to be on the horizon, and reserve further analysis when that happens.  It really does not make sense to continue to debate when there is not enough information to debate about.  In the mean time, the needs that have been identified here on a less grand scale and for which certain separate projects have emerged (med re-cycling, AMG, LTNP c/o Zephyr), will continue in a similar path, I suppose, until better mechanisms become feasible.  And those who are embarking on local causes will continue to do so as well.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 06:32:14 pm by gerry »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 08:52:21 pm »
Thank you Eldon for posting those answers to the questions that I and other members here have asked you about your project. I now understand somewhat better what you're hoping to achieve.

I think we need to be mindful of a comment made by Daddy Tim (Moffie65) in this thread:

This opportunity/challenge, is far too important for us to just abandon, or not complete, just because we have no focus.

Quite so. As usual Daddy Tim brings perspective to the complex issues we discuss.

I also agree with those (notably Cliff) who point out that the major problem we've had here is one of communication. Like Zephyr, I suspect that Eldon is quite shy and so the prospect of facing the AIDSMEDS Commuity Star Chamber would be quite intimidating. Let's face it, there are some pretty larger than life characters around here. ;)

I remember remarking once in the old forums that internet communities can be funny places. Christ help you if you blunder in and upset the delicate balance of things. And AIDSMEDS is no exception. I know that Eldon joined us in the old forums, but I think part of the problem here is that a lot of us don't know a great deal about him. Joining us so recently and then trying launch such large project so soon was probably a little ambitious.

I agree that Eldon could and should clarify somethings further, but he's made a good start.

MtD

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2006, 12:25:15 am »
Hi everyone...

Thank you, Tim (Moffie65), Matty, gerry, cliff, dachs, and Eldon, for this exchange of open mindedness, about essentially a very positive 'dream'.

Needs some work...it would be a huge effort, for sure. But let's give Eldon a chance to solidify his thoughts, become more familiar with our community, and perhaps share his story with us (as he feels comfortable with) and see what happens.

In admiration, and love,

Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Eldon

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2006, 05:23:41 pm »
Your comments or your suggestions are welcome.

Offline Eldon

Re: Organization Fund Raising Project
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 05:45:34 pm »
What Do We Mean by Networking? :)

There are no fixed definitions for “networking”. The term is used in many ways and has a variety of meanings to different people. Here is our working definition.

Networking is a process by which (2) two or more organizations and/or individuals collaborate to achieve common goals.

We use the term “network” to refer to the set of organizations and/or individuals that join in collaboration.

Characteristics of a Network

Most networks have some or all of the following characteristics. They are:

•   A group of organizations and/or individuals who come together to pursue joint          goals   or common interests;
•   Venues for social action through exchange and mutual learning;
•   Sustained through some for of communication;
•   Committed to jointly developed structure and shared responsibility; and
•   They are based on member-ownership and commitment to shared objectives and means of action.

What Are the Benefits of Networking?

AIDS organizations and people living with HIV/AIDS (PHAs) network because the problem and issues that we face are too large for any of us as individuals or as organizations to face on our own.

Networking is a means of giving greater regional, national and international impacts to the activities of community-based organizations. To use a fashionable term, networks have a “synergy effect.”

“Synergy” means that the total effect of things done together is a greater than the sum of individual activities. That is, cooperation between various AIDS organizations gives the groups involved “more.”

Successful networking also helps to:

•   Accomplish something together which you could not accomplish alone;
•   Strengthen others --- inside and outside the network;
•   Broaden the understanding of an issue or struggle by bringing together different constituencies;
•   Share the work;
•   Reduce duplicating efforts and wasting resources;
•   Promote the exchanges of ideas, insights, experiences and skills;
•   Provide a needed sense of solidarity, and moral and psychological support; and
•   Under certain circumstances, mobilize financial resources.

Why Network?

The following is a reflection on the value of networking in AIDS work by Elizabeth Reid, former director, HIV and Development Programme, United Nations Development programme (UNDP).

In the process of creating these networks, we are learning that they are fragile entities, difficult to establish and to sustain. They require much commitment and patience from their members, particularly their founding members. But we are also learning that they form an essential part of the community response to he epidemic. Without them, people are often merely told what others think they should do. With them, we can strengthen the process of questioning, reflection and learning. They are the places in which an individual in search of help can go, spaces in which communities can seek to understand how, wisely and humanely, they can respond.

Source: “Networks on Ethics, Law and HIV:
Providing a Framework for Difficult Discussions,” in
Newsletter of the African Network on Ethics, Law
And HIV, No. 1, June 1996

Network Activities

AIDS networks are diverse. They are formed by different groups and individuals for a variety of reasons and they operate in distinctive ways. There are, however some basic activities which are typical to most AIDS networks. The following are presented as examples of the typical activities undertaken by AIDS networks.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2006, 03:17:20 pm »
Eldon:

As Senior Writer and Editor of AIDSmeds.com and a moderator of these Forums, I do feel the need to step in here.  The moderators have received e-mails from members of the Forums questioning what it is your trying to achieve here and I do think it's necessary that this be discussed, before you continue using the AIDSmeds.com Forums for this purpose, particularly in light of the fact that you are looking for financial support.

Before I get into some of what you've written in your posts here, I remain curious about something:  In your AIDSmeds.com Forums profile, you state that you are a 37-year-old male residing in Miami, Florida.  But you also provide a link to an ICQ connection... and the profile for this connection indicates that you are a 19-year-old male living in Kiev, Ukraine.  I do find this discrepancy to be strange, especially from a new member hoping to drum up tremendous support for an earnest project.

The first message contains text that is taken, in its entirety, from the Global Development Research Center website. Your second message, listing your goals, is taken word-for-word from a job description for a position at the Foothill AIDS Project posted on the POZ.com employment bulletin board.  Your most recent message in this thread discussing the principles of networking, is taken from information published by the International Council of AIDS Service Organizations.  Not only do you fail to mention that these texts -- which you are attempting to use to further your own cause -- are taken from other organizations, you neglect to tie these principles into your own own work or ambitions. 

In another post above, when asked if your "organization" is affiliated with AIDSmeds.com, you indicate that "this is under inquiry status."  Eldon, no it isn't.  Neither Peter Staley nor I -- the staff of AIDSmeds.com -- have received a letter, petition, or any other form of communication requesting partnership consideration.

Finally, in no way have spelled out your goals -- or even the mission -- of this endeavor.  You have been asked, repeatedly, to expand upon this and have not been forthcoming with any specific (or even unique) information in this regard. 

At the risk of being overly cautious -- and overly protective of the AIDSmeds.com Forums' membership -- I am going to request that you contact Peter Staley and myself at editors@aidsmeds.com BEFORE posting another message to the AIDSmeds.com Forums. Similarly, I am going to urge AIDSmeds.com members to remain skeptical of Eldon's initiatives until we have had the time -- and necessary communication with Eldon -- to explore his ongoing use of the Forums for this purpose.

Thanks,

Tim Horn
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 03:26:54 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 03:23:29 pm »
BINGO!

Thanks Tim,
Hal

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2006, 04:42:47 pm »
Oh Eldon.

Remember the chat you and Zephie and I had?
Remember us telling you to be up-front and honest not just with the members but the Administration?
Remember how we emphasised that maintaining the good-will of your fellow forums members here meant everything?
Remember how we told you to proceed slowly, getting the approval of the Administration BEFORE shooting your big mouth off any further?

I guess you forgot.

MtD

Offline Trish

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2006, 04:51:17 pm »
Thank you Tim Horn. 

I've been skeptical about this and very uncomfortable from the very beginning of this fiasco.  And having someone come here and not introduce themselves in anyway, shape or form, but simply asking for money, is beyond reprehensible.  Something's rotten in Denmark...and I don't think it's the cheese in this case.

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.