Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:13:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 327
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 325
Total: 325

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hoping Ill Be Ok  (Read 5332 times)

Offline KingJamesNezariah

Hoping Ill Be Ok
« on: May 16, 2013, 08:26:13 pm »
I've been diagnosed with the HIV virus for roughly a year now. When I first heard the news it immediately terrified me. I  sat in the dark for a couple of days, crying, wanting to blame everyone else for something I did to myself.  I do take meds regularly and even though the record's show I'm improving physically, I can feel the deterioration of my body beginning. I've always been borderline depressed, but my thoughts and feelings have only gotten worse since my diagnosis. I feel so alone. I have a partner who was diagnosed when I was. At first I thought he would be my undying support system. Unfortunately, we don't see eye to eye about how to progress. He feels healthy and confident while I'm the complete opposite. Even a year later, I still feel like I just got the news yesterday. I'm worried and I don't have anyone to talk to. Please Help

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Hoping Ill Be Ok
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 08:34:55 pm »
Hi KJN . Welcome to the forums . its a good sign that you are reaching out for support and help , you have recognized that you have a problem and you know things need to change .

Have you talked to your doctor or been in therapy ? .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline KingJamesNezariah

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:13:01 pm »
I have spoken to a doctor who referred me to a therapy hotline. I guess I'm just wondering if its normal to feel such despair after this much time has passed.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:32:07 pm »
I have spoken to a doctor who referred me to a therapy hotline. I guess I'm just wondering if its normal to feel such despair after this much time has passed.

I do believe people adjust to things in life on an individual basis but personally I feel that if you are concerned and you are still describing the way you are feeling as despair then its time to seek therapy or at least talk to your doctor again for a referral to someone to help you sort things out . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 06:25:59 am »
I have a partner who was diagnosed when I was. At first I thought he would be my undying support system. Unfortunately, we don't see eye to eye about how to progress. He feels healthy and confident while I'm the complete opposite. Even a year later, I still feel like I just got the news yesterday. I'm worried and I don't have anyone to talk to. Please Help

The name of your thread is "Hoping I'll be OK".  But the paragraph doesn't show much hope.  You say you don't see "eye to eye" wih your partner about "how to progress."  Please, can you try to put into words, how do you think you can live well going forward?  You recognized that you have despair, and feel pessimistic.  Can you please take a moment and at least write the words, what are your thoughs - how can life be good, from here on...  "how to progress"

Just a suggestion, IMO you are depressed.  Not bordering on depression.  Deeply depressed.  I do not think that a telephone hotline is adequate attention to your mental health needs, I'm sorry your doctor hasn't pursued this better. 

Where do you live, what country?  Do you have access to therapy?  If so, time to get into that.  If not, do you have access to an Social Service agency that has structured support groups?  Please, check that out.  Also, you need to put it bluntly to the doctor treating your HIV - "my mental health needs real attention and treatment."  Even if you can't find mental health professionals, any doctor can do a little, and certainly prescribe anti-depressants, which have their value.

At the same time as finding a way to get structured support, you need people to talk to.  I will look forward to hearing more from you here, for example.  Perhaps you can explain whats going on in your mind, and life. 

Also, what's up with your partner.  Have you simply stopped talking?  Have you decided "to agree to disagree".  If you are depressed and in despair, the partner might at this point not know what to say anymore, to help you turn a new leaf.

Who else knows, in your life, that you are feeling this way? Do you have friends, or family, who you talk to?

On a rational basis, if you are on treatment, and the HIV is being handled in the normal treatment protocal, so your body is NOT "deteriorating".   You are having ruminative thoughts. 

Also, rationally, we know that many people can live a healthy life, physically and mentally, despite being HIV+.   So I can pretty much assure you that you are facing at this point, a mental challenge, not a physical one.  The sooner you can accept that and get some treatment for the mental issues, the sooner you might feel less anguish and pain. 

It's not easy to work on mental health, and its certainly not easy for many people to FIND and access mental health treatment.  But you must try to do so.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 06:30:52 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:08:11 am »
Hi James, welcome to the forums.

You don't mention what meds you're on - and I have to wonder if one of them is Sustiva (efavirenz). You may be taking it as one pill combined with one or two others, or you may be taking it in a three-in-one combo pill called Atripla.

If you are on a combo that includes Sustiva, it may be contributing to your depression and feelings of impending doom and deterioration. In fact, it may be outright causing it. Many people who were prone to depression before starting Sustiva find it makes their depression much, much worse and more difficult to handle.

If you are taking Sustiva, I recommend you read a thread here entitled - The Sustiva/Atripla Thread. If you are on Sustiva, I bet you'll find yourself nodding in agreement with some of the experiences of other members.

Again, if by chance you are on Sustiva and your partner is too, please understand that some people do absolutely fine on Sustiva and are not plagued by the depression side effects that so many suffer while on this med. So don't assume his tolerance of this med means that you should be tolerating it as well.

If Sustiva is the culprit here, a med switch away from Sustiva coupled with therapy will do wonders. Therapy alone, however, will not do a whole lot for Sustiva induced depression.

Good luck and please clarify what meds you're taking.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.