Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:02:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 199
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hey...  (Read 7947 times)

Offline andy20

Hey...
« on: June 07, 2006, 01:10:25 pm »

Hey everyone...

I am new here, and just wanted to say "hi" to all.  I am 20 years old and have been positive for approximately 7 months.  I just found out that I am going to start Truvada and Sustiva and am alittle bit nervous.  I don't really understand why I keep remembering people tell me that "people live for years HIV+ and don't usually start medication for at least 5 years.." but that it's only been about 7 months and I am already needing to start them.  Anyone have any advice or support?  Thanks.

Andy20
- The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
                      -FDR

Offline kcmetroman

Re: Hey...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 01:14:05 pm »
Welcome to the Hotel California Andy,

You have found a great spot to come and vent, question, or just crack a joke.  One thing to remember is that you have a virus.  It has nothing to do with your character.  You will have ups and downs, maybe a few side affects, like wild ass dreams with the Sustiva I hear.

Just go day to day and enjoy your life.  You can still live a quality life

Again, welcome aboard!

John

Offline Optimistic

• An Apple A Day Keeps The Doctors Away!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 01:17:27 pm »
Hi Andy20, welcome to forum....you will find lots of support here as many knowledgeable people have great advices.  As to the meds, it is different for each person.....some may need to start right away, while others can wait a while before they start the meds.  My doc suggested that I am close to starting meds, but this was 2 years ago and I am still not on meds. Starting meds is not a bad thing, it will keep the virus under control.  What are your counts?

Justin
12/06 (Atripla): cd4 - 260; cd% - 33%; vl - 169
1/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 267; cd% - 38.1%; vl - 132
4/07 (Atripla): cd4 - 373; cd% - 33.9%; vl - <50
7/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 287; cd% - 35.8%; vl - <50
9/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 356; cd% - 39.5%; vl - <50
12/07 (Atripla); cd4 - 517

Offline Biggums

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 01:26:53 pm »
Hi Andy and welcome aboard. 
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 01:29:02 pm »
Hi Andy and welcome.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 03:22:05 pm »
Hi Andy

Welcome to our AM family. You will find kind people who offer lots of support.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Markmt

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 03:39:32 pm »
Hi Andy and welcome to the forums. The virus and meds do not seem to work the same on everyone. The good thing is that we have enough monitoring to be checked to know exactly where we stand and tackle the bug as needed. Be informed and stay healthy. You are not alone,

take care,

mark
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline terpie82

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 08:39:28 pm »
Hi Andy,
It's true that it depends a lot on the individual and it also depends. Two months after I was exposed in 2003, I was diagnosed and I started 2 months after that (4 months post-infection). So it's not uncommon to start on meds early. My physician/study coordinator is a progressive medical doc who believes in the "hit hard, hit early" philosophy, and I happen to believe in the same. It really comes down to personal beliefs. If you don't want to start meds now, tell him and if you two don't share the same philosophy in treating the virus, perhaps you should find a doc who does. No one can force you to take meds if you're not ready.
-Terpie
PS, I've been on Truvada/Sustiva for 2 years now...quite an easy combo to take in my opinion. Just make sure you don't miss this single dose combo.
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 09:04:00 pm »
Hello Andy,

Welcome to the forums. Sorry you had to join us, but you will find plenty of support here, and a plenty of information.

As Mark has stated, everyone responds differently to this virus. I was diagnosed HIV positive in 1985, And began meds in 2003.

I think a good place to start, is with the lessons. You can click on the link below, to take you there. Please take your time. There is no rush. When questions arise, don't hesitate to ask. Being informed is your best resource.

Click Here :     http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/StartHere1.htm

Make sure to get involved with your doctor. And don't forget to ask your doctor questions also. The best thing to do, is to right your concerns or questions down, that way, you have them right there at your fingertips.

I know things are tough right now, but try to take a deep breath and relax.( I know it's easy for someone else to say that.

Read up on the medications that you will be taking.

Sustiva can be found here : http://www.aidsmeds.com/drugs/Sustiva.htm

Truvada can be found here:  http://www.aidsmeds.com/drugs/Sustiva.htm

Welcome.....Take your time, and ask what ever questions you need .

The best-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 09:32:02 pm »
Welcome Andy!

MtD

Offline Londonguy

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:36:42 pm »
You sound similar to me, I'm 20 and am starting on Sustiva and Truvada tomorrow.  I've been diagnosed for a year but I think I've had the virus for 2 years.  I'm quite disappointed I couldn't make it longer without having to take meds but everyone is different and I don't think you should worry about it.  Welcome to the board and good luck with your meds.

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:39:07 pm »
Hi Andy,

I really can't add more than what's already been said.  I just wanted to say 'welcome'.
Member since March 2004

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 05:45:01 am »
Hi Andy,

you've come to the right place to ask question (and get opinions)!  It sounds like you still need to ask your doctor some questions as to why you need to start meds.  Perhaps if you are comfortable with sharing some of your lab information to the masses here, we could offer some informed and uninformed advice to you.

I have been taking that particular combo since early February and have had minimal side effects from it.  It's easy to take (2 pills @ bedtime) and hasn't cramped my style too much.  It's important to realize that this is a lifelong commitment -- i know that phrase seems pretty ominous, but not too bad at all once you get into a groove.

Check out the Lessons section like Ray pointed out and see if that helps you any.

Take care (and welcome along for the ride),
John

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 07:08:01 am »
hi andy, nice to meet you!

sending you sunshine from the uk...

kate

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 07:42:13 am »
Hey Andy,
You've already had some great advice, so I'll just say welcome, glad you found us,

I hope to hear more from you.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.