Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:29:01 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 466
Total: 466

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sustiva to Reyataz/Norvir boost?  (Read 5427 times)

Offline nohpiano

Sustiva to Reyataz/Norvir boost?
« on: April 15, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »
I have been on Sustiva now for 7 years, but I never HAVE gotten over the insane dreams and sometimes magnification of depression and anger , when they hit. My doctor says I am about the only patient she has who has not gotten through the dreaming insanity. SO....we switched to Viramune for a while, but I had the liver reaction to it. Went back to Sustiva/Truvada combo (and eventually that became ATripla) and decided to live with it. BUT....I am starting to feel as if I would really like to get off it, and she suggests Reyataz 300 mg boosted with a small amount of Norvir (100), and keeping the Truvada elements that are in my current Atripla. Has anyone made this switch, and how did it go? Did you turn yellow from the Reyataz, and if so, did that pass? I am beginning to think that this Sustiva insanity is just not worth it, IN SPITE of how well the Atripla has worked. I am gun-shy about switching since it works pretty well, and I had the Viramune reaction.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Sustiva to Reyataz/Norvir boost?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 04:13:03 pm »
I just did...though with combivir, not truvada.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=20083.0

Personally, it's been fabu for me.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 06:18:52 pm »
I didn't get Sustiva because of resistance.  I've been taking Truvada with Reyataz and a Norvir boost for almost eight weeks now.  My skin turned a bit yellow for about a week, and then it passed.  Otherwise I've experienced no problems whatsoever. 

This is my first regimen so I have no basis for comparison, but so far I couldn't be happier with it.  I hope you find something that works for you.   
It's a complex world

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 08:24:36 pm »
It's a good combo. I take Reyetaz+Norvir+Kivexa and can't complain. The yella effect (if you get it) is Not A Big Deal.

MtD

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 08:28:33 pm »
Dear Nohpiano,

I did the change from Sustiva+Truvada to Reyataz+Norvir+Truvada 2 years ago.

I had to change Sustiva due to a severe allergic reaction (only could be one month taking it).

I am very happy with Truvada+Reyataz+Norvir. This is also a once a day combo, I didn't get yellow, my CD4 boosted up, viral load undetectable since the first month, no cholesterol, no kidney problems. I have only a bit high trigliceryde levels and also bilirrubin, which are both normal effects of protease inhibitors, but my cholesterol is on the 150's, which is the normal to low range levels.

For the first weeks I had some stomach issues: gaz, diarrhoea, but this stopped and now I feel really well with this combo.

No sleeping problems or dreaming issues, no dizziness, no fatigue, so this is OK.

The only (mild) inconvenience is keeping Norvir in the refrigerator... but you can have to an ambient temperature (no more than 25 celsius) the Norvir pills you will need to take during the next three weeks, so you can do short travels or hollidays without need to carry with you a portable refrigerator.

Hope this helps!!!

Hugs

;)

love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline cruisin512

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 07:17:25 am »
I switched from Atripla to Reyataz/Epzicom with the Norvir booster.  Atripla was giving me some serious anxiety and depression.

The new combo has been better with regard to the psychological side effects.

I have a theory (any comments from the peanut gallery on this one??):

This is not a scientific study by any means, but I think even though Atripla is the same medication as Sustiva and Truvada, some people react differently to it.  My side effects became very apparent after starting on Atripla.  I had been on Sustiva and Truvada for about 7 months before I switched over.  My partner is on Sustiva and Truvada and never went to Atripla because his insurance won't cover it.  I had a half bottle of Atripla left over after my switch, so I gave it to him to have on hand.  When he takes it, he immediately feels "loopy" and begins to feel anxious....EVERY time.

Any takers on this one??

At any rate, I've had no jaundice on the new meds either.

One other side effect to watch for:  kidney stones.  See my other posting.

Good luck.

Offline cruisin512

Kidney stone (Reyataz/Epzicom/Norvir)
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 07:24:05 am »
Hello all-

I changed from Atripla to Reyataz and Epzicom with a Norvir booster last August (2007).  At that time, I read in this forum that Reyataz can cause kidney stones.

Sure enough, three weeks ago (after about 7 months on meds) I gave birth to a 3mm (yes, 3mm) kidney stone.  I go tomorrow to see the lab results, so I'll post that info later.

Any advice on how to prevent this very painful (on all levels) situation?  I'd rather not change meds again.

Thanks

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 11:26:44 pm »
i switched from acripla to reyataz, norvir , truvada back in March of 07 and i feel great! well great as anything is better than atripla
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline hivsweden

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 05:31:51 pm »
First post for me, so bear with me :-)

After being on Combivir + Sustiva for 7 yrs I switched to the Reyataz/Kivexa/Norvir combo last year. For me this was one of the best decisions in my life. No more sleep problems, my depression has improved, no more drunken feeling after taking the pills, no more stomach problems.

The only side effect I experienced is that I became quite yellow for a few weeks, after that it has decreased so it isn't noticeable except if you know what to look for.

Also, since I take Norvir I've had to switch my antihistamines since Norvir boost a lot of different medications appart from HAART-meds.

Anyway, I'm a real happy camper.

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 10:04:41 pm »
FANTASTIC!!

That is the best word I can use to describe my switch from Atripla to Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada.  The "yellow" faze looked more like a good tan for me  :o

Be Well....

Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 04:18:50 am »
Bastard.

Matty the Damned looked like a 6'4" gay banana.

MtD

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 10:02:08 am »
I'm on Rey/Nor/Tru and it's been the easiest combo yet.

The only side effect I experienced was brief dizzy spells (but that could have been the wind blowing between my ears.. ;))

Sharkie

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.