Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:50:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 612
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Private long-term disability spying - need a pro-bono lawyer please  (Read 4608 times)

Offline livingmmy9lives

My partner's private long-term disability company The Hartford has spied on him and filmed him and he is now "under review". They are sending him to their doctor even though his doctor has documented his case very well. He is clearly disabled. He needs a lawyer but cannot afford one. Does anyone know of any pro-bono lawyers that might take his case.  I would really appreciate any info.
Diagnosed 1988.

Offline moxieinme

Re: Private long-term disability spying - need a pro-bono lawyer please
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 03:23:01 am »
Hi --
I don't have a pro bono referral for you, but I actually went through the exact same shit with Hartford about 4-5 years ago. I came through it successfully but it changed me and my sense of security. (Try living out on a dark country road after you find you've been filmed in secret.) Also shocked at some of their tactics, including they leaned on my doctor to try and admit he was wrong. My doctor was good enough to keep a complete file and share their correspondence. I, too, sought a lawyer to have on standby.

I'm still on Hartford LTD after that but always looking over my shoulder -- literally. I've been fortunate to have LTD coverage, but this has been the biggest price to pay.

Feel free to get in touch with any questions about the process and/or the experience. That's the best I can offer. It's a serious situation but keep cool. They really are trying to rattle you. And BTW I never needed the lawyer.

Good luck. Hang in there.

John
Salvage therapy wrangler, riding the poz bronco and dodging bullets for over 24 years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CD4 at diagnosis 1989 = 330
Began treatment (AZT) 1989
Lowest labs 1998: CD4=74, 7%, VL=750,000
First sustained undetectable VL in 20 years (2009); CD4=315
Current labs (12/13): CD4=637, 27%, VL=<20
Current meds: Prezista, Isentress, Intellence, Norvir

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 11:46:50 am »
I like these guys the best.  You pick your state, then choose your practice area and start reading and calling the attorneys and ask each if they will take your case pro bono.

www.findlaw.com

I chose Findlaw because they are each paying around $30K to $40K just to be listed with this organization.  There are over 150 other directories which list law firms.  Who do you think will get you the best deal, the attorney who pays to be seen or the large directory?  Good luck.  I am not surprised the insurance company has filmed you, I am surprised you know they did it, they are usually very good.   8)  Have the best day
Michael

Offline moxieinme

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:33:05 pm »
Thanks for the link. I'm going to hold onto that myself.

Actually I didn't know they were doing it. It was during a home-visit interview that they dragged out a laptop and had me watch the videos. I went cold all over. The interviewer, who had been very friendly and gave no hint of what he was going to pull, needed to get my acknowledgement that it was me and then was trying to get my response to the video, but of course I was just dumbfounded.

As I've already advised others who have contacted me, my advice is:
1) Be honest, before and after, especially about the basis of your disability. If you try to "pad" the resins, they'll go for you.
2) Be cautious about public exposure. Don't be in the local papers winning a gymnastics competition (just kidding).
3) Check all your privacy setting, e.g. Facebook.
4) HAve a good team of medical professionals on your side to validate your disability. That includes making sure you keep a detailed record of medical visits ans always make you tell you doctors in detail about your condition(s) so it goes in the record.
5) Stand up for yourself, don't roll over and take it. I was furious and gave them a piece of my mind, including a certified letter of protest. I pointed out that their tactics only increased my stress and negatively impacted my quality of life.
6) Get EVERY contact with your LTD carrier in writing. Follow up every phone conversation AND voicemail message with a letter.

Most of all, stay calm as possible. Don't let them get to you if you feel you have a valid reason for remaining on the coverage.
Salvage therapy wrangler, riding the poz bronco and dodging bullets for over 24 years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
CD4 at diagnosis 1989 = 330
Began treatment (AZT) 1989
Lowest labs 1998: CD4=74, 7%, VL=750,000
First sustained undetectable VL in 20 years (2009); CD4=315
Current labs (12/13): CD4=637, 27%, VL=<20
Current meds: Prezista, Isentress, Intellence, Norvir

Offline livingmmy9lives

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:05:41 am »
Thanks for all the excellent advice. I will be checking into findlaw.com - I've called so many places, literally hours on the phone and so far and every one says to call someone else -it's just maddening. John - yes it is creepy tactics. My partner is clearly unable to work - very ill but they are using really smallest things they can get on video then jumping to a conclusions that he's capable of holding a full-time job. These people are evil. moxieinme thanks for the detailed info.
Diagnosed 1988.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.