Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:14:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 293
Total: 293

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Headlines  (Read 3223 times)

Offline tednlou2

Headlines
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:01:23 am »
I just read an article over at The Body about how the media uses misleading headlines about HIV, and the author suggested this may be to get more readers.  Then, I noticed two very different headlines about an HIV cancer risk story written by The Body and one written by AM/POZ.  One has a scary/glass half empty headline, while the other goes with the more optimistic route.  I mean, by looking at the headlines, you'd think they were about totally different stories/studies.  By the way, how well did each site write the story?

Here is the article that talked about misleading headlines:

http://www.thebody.com/content/64978/on-the-eve-of-world-aids-day-a-look-at-media-malfe.html#commentAdd

The Body's headline for the cancer story:  

"Kaiser Study Finds Higher Cancer Risk for HIV Patients"

AM/POZ's headline for the same story:

"Cancer Risk Decreases With Higher CD4 Cell Counts, Undetectable Viral Loads"

Links to the full stories:

http://www.thebody.com/content/64915/kaiser-study-finds-higher-cancer-risk-for-hiv-pati.html

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_cancer_kaiser_1667_21534.shtml

Edited for spelling

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Headlines
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 01:30:14 am »
From the wikipedia entry on Information Literacy.

Jeremy Shapiro & Shelley Hughes (1996) define information literacy as "A new liberal art that extends from knowing how to use computers and access information to critical reflection on the nature of information itself, its technical infrastructure and its social, cultural, and philosophical context and impact."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_literacy

I guess we wouldn't want to include that word "liberal" in any definition in these partisan times...  :o

"Put you your thinking cap" will do.

Luckily there is an entire industry of "lamestream media" infotainers who "unpack" information and media.  Even Jay Leno does  a good job on a regular basis.  Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert, Chelsea Lately, Bill Maher, Rachel Maddow, Anderson Cooper - each does his/her special brand of it.  I don't watch much of the right's watchdogging, though Ann Coulter comes to mind.

Teachers and importantly librarians have pretty much persuaded most schools to have information literacy thoughout the curriculum.  We do it in my university, too.

So if people have none, it must be older people who never got it in schools, or kids who were not or are not encouraged at home to look at thinks a bit critically.  Also im sure this also depends somewhat on a person's natural character - the way they notice (or not), take in, process, and think.

I agree we can bemoan "media malfeance" but the only tool to fight back is literacy and education.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:35:49 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 09:49:13 am »
From the wikipedia entry on Information Literacy.

Jeremy Shapiro & Shelley Hughes (1996) define information literacy as "A new liberal art that extends from knowing how to use computers and access information to critical reflection on the nature of information itself, its technical infrastructure and its social, cultural, and philosophical context and impact."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_literacy

I guess we wouldn't want to include that word "liberal" in any definition in these partisan times...  :o

"Put you your thinking cap" will do.

Luckily there is an entire industry of "lamestream media" infotainers who "unpack" information and media.  Even Jay Leno does  a good job on a regular basis.  Jon Stewart, Steven Colbert, Chelsea Lately, Bill Maher, Rachel Maddow, Anderson Cooper - each does his/her special brand of it.  I don't watch much of the right's watchdogging, though Ann Coulter comes to mind.

Teachers and importantly librarians have pretty much persuaded most schools to have information literacy thoughout the curriculum.  We do it in my university, too.

So if people have none, it must be older people who never got it in schools, or kids who were not or are not encouraged at home to look at thinks a bit critically.  Also im sure this also depends somewhat on a person's natural character - the way they notice (or not), take in, process, and think.

I agree we can bemoan "media malfeance" but the only tool to fight back is literacy and education.

Could you please explain how your post relate's to Ted's? Very interesting but I'm not seeing the connection between your information and having a positive or negative spin on stories about HIV. And indeed, Ted's specific example is from websites that both promote HIV awareness.

It almosts look like you replied to another thread. Or if you think people ought to be literate enough to read the story and make their own headline, just say so.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 10:04:08 am »
Having been in the news business for 20 years, I can tell you the second headline would never fly in any real newspaper.

The reason is not that it isn't a "happier" tone, but that nobody would read that story.  The headline is supposed to draw the reader into the story. That second headline would make me say, "Oh, gee, that's nice," then move on to something else.

The first headline grabs the reader a bit better and piques the interest enough to make someone want to read the story. I had already seen the story, by the way.

Remember, the news business is just that, a business. It is selling a product, in this case information, and the goal is to get you and others to read it, not make you feel good about how it is presented.

There is an old adage in the news business - bad news sells. If you filled a newspaper with nothing but nice, uplifting stories, it would be bankrupt in short order.

That is the nature of the beast, whether it is print, broadcast, or internet.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 10:12:07 am »
A personal favorite cartoon:

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 10:49:12 am »
A personal favorite cartoon:

That is so true - and so funny.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 11:00:02 am »
Could you please explain how your post relate's to Ted's? Very interesting but I'm not seeing the connection between your information and having a positive or negative spin on stories about HIV. And indeed, Ted's specific example is from websites that both promote HIV awareness.

It almosts look like you replied to another thread. Or if you think people ought to be literate enough to read the story and make their own headline, just say so.

4 reporters can access the same information and put four different spins on the info.  Or their editors and publishers will, through headlines.

Information literacy includes the ability to discern spin from information.

On the one hand, I think the public in HIGHLY mediatised cultures are generally a lot more literate about info then say, 20 years ago. On the other hand, there is an awful lot more info, overwhelming amounts.

And, we even give cred to spin itself as being the legitimate focus of attention.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2011/12/mitt-romneys-potemkin-village.html

Mitt Romney horribly spinned Obama's words in a recent ad.  Ask to justify such outrageous misrepresentation, a Romney campaign operative answered:

“First of all, ads are propaganda by definition. We are in the persuasion business, the propaganda business … Ads are agitprop … Ads are about hyperbole, they are about editing. It’s ludicrous for them to say that an ad is taking something out of context … All ads do that. They are manipulative pieces of persuasive art.”

Fox News has probably the same justification for the spin being presented as "information", e.g. news, not spin.

Yes, people should be able to read the articles and discern the information, regardless of the headline.
I don't think Kenyon, from Housing Works, made a convincing argument for "Media Malfeasance" concerning HIV science or people living with HIV.  Furthermore, he thinks those headlines blame the HIV+ person, but I don't necessarily read them that way. He does not give links to the articles for those four headlines.  How do we know the information didn't match the headlines??  

What he wants is different information than he found in the articles.  He wants the background story, more explanation behind the info. Also, he wants a different spin.  Wants a political and social explanation for the info about treatment and treatment failure.  Fine and dandy, that doesn't mean the articles are misleading, necessarily.  Just not the slant nor the info he wants.

Headlines vary by venue and author, that's the way it works now.  

Yes, read the info if you are curious, and decide yourself.

Anyhow, the cartoon explains it better than I did.  

Information literacy is what would help people not be victim to the "news cycle".

« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 01:44:28 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 12:24:58 pm »
I don't think the average person on the street can discern good research from bad. It is impossible to tell whether the research is good unless you bother to look up how the study was conducted. Lots of studies are poorly designed or executed. Then when you have a valid finding you have to sort through the spin, because everyone has an agenda. The health and fitness magazines are notorious for this crap. They take a study that correlates vitamin D deficiency with, let's say osteoporosis, and come to the conclusion that dairy products must stop osteoporosis. Headline: "Ice Cream: The New Weapon in the War Against Hip Fractures."

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 04:16:49 pm »
The original study correlates lower CD4 counts in HIV+ people with an increased risk of some cancers, somtimes dramatically as in the case of KS, sometimes much less so if at all. Both headlines are true. Depends how you want to present it. The real story here is not so new, higher CD4 counts protect against opportunistic infections and cancers.

-matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 09:13:02 am »
Editors primarily care about the numbers and not the content.  I've been a featured columnist for a while now and have "butted heads" with my editor over content.  I've been persuaded to edit my content on occasion, but have never blatantly skewed my beliefs or facts. 

Writers/columnists don't write the headlines, just the content. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.