Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:01:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 324
Total: 324

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are there benefits to cutting added sugar?  (Read 12692 times)

Offline fabio

Are there benefits to cutting added sugar?
« on: October 11, 2018, 08:56:06 am »
Out of a whim,I decided to cut sugar from my life. Whether that sugar is from sweets or drinks it's off for good.
So my questions are the following:
Are there any benefits,apart from losing weight,in cutting sugar off your diet?
Is there some special benefit for people who are hiv positive?
Note:added sugar,fruits are ok.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Are there benefits to cutting added sugar?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:33:02 am »
Suger ... what got you thinking specifically about suger if I can ask?

A healthier diet and part of that I feel is lowering  suger intake is a reduction for other health issues, some of them the population living with HIV are more prone to developing as we age like diabetes type 2 as simple example.

Diabetes Is on the Rise https://www.poz.com/article/diabetes-rise

https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/understanding-hiv-aids/fact-sheets/22/59/hiv-and-diabetes

Living healthier regardless of HIV status is something people should at think more about.

So cutting sugar sure, but also quitting bad habits such as smoking, boozing, eating badly, exercise, better sleep  will all help keep you healthier and is also going to help you prevent to a degree concerns from happing sooner in life

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-nutrition

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline fabio

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 11:31:33 am »
Well.... I had some sweatpants that my brother gave me,but,my butt seems to say no to them haha.
Also,I want to try and be more active this year,gonna start a bit of cycling as well,gonna try to eat better (as Mich as I can 😅) and try to keep balance.
Good thing is I don't smoke,or drink either. But I guess sugar will be a challenge I want to take.
Birthday is coming in 6 days,so I'm.thinking of saying no to the cake haha.
Thanks for the extra info as Well:)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 11:50:15 am »
Well wishing you in advance a happy birthday. I don't think a slice of cake will hurt  ;)

Well.... I had some sweatpants that my brother gave me,but,my butt seems to say no to them haha.
Also,I want to try and be more active this year,gonna start a bit of cycling as well,gonna try to eat better (as Mich as I can 😅) and try to keep balance.
Good thing is I don't smoke,or drink either. But I guess sugar will be a challenge I want to take.

Sounds like a plan.  :)

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline fabio

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 01:24:47 pm »
If it's not chocolate ,then it's a no haha. If I break the rule it better be chocolate. Haha.
Also thank you hehe.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 03:42:48 am »
i cut out sugars and carbs all together. Lost 10KG and suger down from pre-diabetes to normal and cholesterol good and triglycerides good and i feel great.
Ever since cutting out carbs, everything tastes sweet. Sugars is big business and we have all become addicted. I noticed only when i tried to stop.

Offline fabio

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 10:55:08 am »
Even pasta? 😢😭
I am willing to cut granulated sugar and sweets altogether,but pasta would be a no-no.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 12:31:30 pm »
unfortunately even pasta. But there are alternatives. Look for Konjac noodles or Shirataki noodles.

Offline fabio

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 03:00:49 pm »
If you can make ramen with them im in 😁.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 03:49:42 am »
Absolutely! Here is one example of a recipe (i never tried but look really good)...

http://happyketo.com/keto-ramen-quick-easy/. This lady also has an entire section about these noodles.
Just watch out that the may slightly upset stomach for newbies. Nothing major, dont worry.

Offline Mindless

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 11:13:34 am »
i cut out sugars and carbs all together. Lost 10KG and suger down from pre-diabetes to normal and cholesterol good and triglycerides good and i feel great.
Ever since cutting out carbs, everything tastes sweet. Sugars is big business and we have all become addicted. I noticed only when i tried to stop.

Terry,

how could you cut out sugar while living in Thailand (as I do)? The only place where they don’t put it (maybe) is “nam plao” (plain drinking water) :-P

I’m joking of course but not so much if you know what I mean.. ;D just wondering how do you manage and quite envious about your results :) What about cholesterol, does it work on it?

Hugs
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 04:06:23 am »
How do i cut sugar? Well, it ain`t easy! As you rightfully hinted, EVERYTHING has sugar or some related product in it. Basically i cook most of my own food, and make sure i order things that cannot or would not have sugar.
And..i have basically given up on Thai food outside the house....i had stir fried broccoli/shrimp the other day and they added CARROTS after i explained a zillion times not to...Language barrier is the main problem. I have found a few great products - like Mung Bean vermicelli - which i can eat. So Thai food is cooked at home (low carb fish/soy sauce) and outside i stick to salads, fish, meats and cheeses - usually western or Japanase/Korean. It is not so easy.

Offline Mindless

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 10:09:47 am »
Well done Terry! As I said, envy you a lot.

Due to my Mediterranean ancestry I’d never be able to live without carbs unfortunately  :'(... it’s practically the same blood that runs through my veins  ;)

Besides, I travel quite a lot for work through SE Asia, very difficult to keep a discipline. Or so I like to think maybe  ;D

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Offline fabio

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 07:17:28 pm »
Yeah,Mediterranean here as well. Carbs for us is like water.....😂😂😂

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 05:29:19 am »
Well done Terry! As I said, envy you a lot.

Due to my Mediterranean ancestry I’d never be able to live without carbs unfortunately  :'(... it’s practically the same blood that runs through my veins  ;)

Besides, I travel quite a lot for work through SE Asia, very difficult to keep a discipline. Or so I like to think maybe  ;D

Don`t be so sure! I may have similar ancestry too - i grew up thinking that without bread, it was not a meal! And i admit it is a real challenge. But you find alternatives and the results have been great. Not preaching - just giving the info. Good luck!

Offline Mindless

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2019, 09:50:24 am »
Don`t be so sure! I may have similar ancestry too - i grew up thinking that without bread, it was not a meal! And i admit it is a real challenge. But you find alternatives and the results have been great. Not preaching - just giving the info. Good luck!

👍

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.