Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:47:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 226
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help with weight loss  (Read 17394 times)

Offline Seven

Help with weight loss
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:23:19 pm »
Ok, ever since I was first found out my wonderful news that I had you know what I have gained 60 lbs on meds. Sucks, yeah I know. So my motavation is not there and yes you can say I am just more then a little depressed right now. I am in a relationship with a neg male and it takes a toll on him seeing me sad all the time. I have lost all self esteem and I only go out with the people who know of my status therefor they know why I have gained so much weight, and ofcourse always tell me how beautiful I look. :) Which is great to hear, but they dont see what I see....all this extra fat that I didnt have before. I use to be fit and muscular, so this is really hard for me. I stopped talking to alot of my friends and when people ask me to go out I always say no or make an excuse. Now heres the thing. This is REALLY hard the most on my mom, cause she see's me always tired from the depression and not wanted to get all dressed up and hair and make-up done like I used to. She seems to think I should go somewhere to help me loose weight, like LA weight loss, Jenny, you know what I mean. I was wondering if anyone here has gone somewhere to help them with the weight gain, and if you told them that you have gained weight due to meds. I mean we are not going to respond to weight loss like a normal person correct? Which sucks ofcourse. My mom seems to think that if I go somewhere to pay them to help me that it will keep me motivated and want to try to loose weight and try to be less sad...I wanted to ask you women what your thoughts were and if anyone has done this...and if so if you succeded or not.

Thanks a women sad always  :'(

Offline Sdgirl

Re: Help with weight loss
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 03:35:48 pm »
Seven,

Food is a source of comfort.  It never lets you down, is there when you need it, fills you up when you are sad and easy to turn to.  I've gained 30lbs since my diagnosis and though I feel INCREDIBLY uncomfortable in my own skin, I still find it difficult to motivate myself to do anything about it.  How can I give up my one constant form of comfort?

I'm right there with you girl.  It sucks.  Especially when you know what you have to do to change things and aren't doing them.  For me, my body is my shield of armor.  If I'm fat, no one will want me, not because I have HIV, but because I'm fat.  Fat is much easier to accept than HIV is.

Hang in there.  Don't go and pay anyone to help you do it.  Loosing weight is a LIFE CHOICE and not a quick fix.  That is why people who get that gastric bypass surgery eat right through it.  Eating is mental, not physical.  Figure out why you eat what you eat, for me it's emotional and no surgery is going to fix that.

Just my two cents

Lisa
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline cjc

• Sweet Girl
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 03:36:59 pm »
Hello Seven.  I have never been on any of those weight loss programs so can't tell how they work . However i did gain quite a bit of weight after my diagnosis. I am 5'4 and went up to 189 pds. I think maybe it will level out because since February I have lost weight and am now at 167 and still losing.   I am not hungry so I do not eat much. Before I ate a lot ,out of boredom or loneliness or depression cause I have HIV. Don't know if this helps you but I hope so.  Best of luck to you.    Cristy

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 04:21:34 pm »
Hi Seven,

Like you, after my diagnosis, I gained a lot of weight. I'm 5'0", and got up to 180 pounds. I was a size 16 in pants, and hated it. I even gained the wonderful lipodystrophy in my belly area as well as in my upper back. My husband never gave me a hard time about it, because he's seen me in the thong bikini back in the day when I had a hard body.

After my husband died, I decided to take care of me, because to be quite honest, I couldn't stand me, not the way I looked. Also, I suffered greatly from depression as a result of his death. I wasn't able to concentrate at work, I couldn't focus, wasn't able to sit still, didn't want to go out, didn't want to socialize, and worse, I couldn't sleep.

So, I started exercising. Of course, I probably over-did it in the beginning, as I walked nearly two miles every day, six days a week. I told myself to take at least one day off. I even used light resistance training on the weights, and 50-75 situps every night. Doing this helped me to lose 40 pounds and down to a size 10 in pants.  However, I hurt my foot in November or December, so my routine was interrupted for nearly six months. I didn't regain any of the weight, for which I am happy.

I recently started my exercising again, but this time, at a more moderate level, three days a week, and two miles on those days. I eat what ever I want, of course in moderation, and as healthy as possible. I never deny myself any cravings (even chocolates), but I do have it in moderation. I don't keep sweets in the house, because it just adds to my temptations. I feel that if I deny myself the cravings, then when I finally do cave, I may overindulge, therefore, going into the pattern of gaining weight again.

Seven, let me tell you, that the exercising helped my depression. After a couple of weeks of doing that, my depression lessened. Now, I rarely have bouts of depression. I never took any medications for depression, though it was suggested. I never did. I was able to battle it on my own, with family support and exercise.

You are on the right path of starting over, because you are recognizing that you want to help yourself. Just remember, only YOU can help YOU, and it has to come from within your heart. YOU have to be the one to want it more than anyone else.

Take care, and good luck with this new journey you are about to embark on!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 06:57:14 pm by IzPoz »
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline tsw923

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 10:32:04 pm »
Seven,

I have to say that before I found out I was HIV+ last year I had started working out.  I was doing it because I couldn't stand what size I was up to and because I knew it would help me feel better, sleep better, etc.  I started going to Curves because I didn't think it would be so intimidating.  I worked my way up to 4 days a week for an hour each day.  I also joined Weight Watchers Online, so I could see my meal suggestions from anywhere AND I wouldn't have to go to meetings!  It was a great help when I got diagnosed in 2006 because I was already doing many of the things my doctor suggested.  And honestly, I threw myself into work and working out so I wouldn't have to think about it so much.  In February of this year I decided to join Team in Training and start training to walk a 1/2 marathon.  Seriously, it was perhaps the best thing I've done since I found out.  I concentrated on getting my walking speed up and raising money for leukemia research, so I had less time to sit around, feel sorry for myself, and drown myself in chocolate (my great comfort food).   In about 3 weeks I'll be in Alaska walking -- and it feels great.  I've already decided to do another one in October. 

The benefits of working out and training have been great for me -- I'm down to a size 18 (from a size 24) and most days I have more energy than I have had since I was 20.  There are still days when my butt is seriously dragging the ground, but I feel like I can take a day or two off and still be living a healthy lifestyle.  But overall losing weight means changing your lifestyle not getting on some crazy diet.  The pounds will not come off overnight, but they will come off, and stay off...

Good Luck,

Ty

Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline Ulong

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:53:02 pm »
I was wondering if anyone here has gone somewhere to help them with the weight gain, and if you told them that you have gained weight due to meds. I mean we are not going to respond to weight loss like a normal person correct? Which sucks ofcourse.

I went to a gym--not quite like Curves or whatever-- but it had a lot of emphasis on personal trainers and a meal plan. It was uncomfortable to be quizzed by a 20 year old snotnosed kid about my eating habits, since he had no clue that meals are planned with my meds in mind. And I do have lipo, so having someone who's neg look me over and judge my appearance doesn't make me comfortable either. I've always been more of a self-disiplined type when exercising, so I don't feel like I need a lot of reinforcement from outside. That's just the way it works for me. I have exercise equipment at home so I can work out whenever I feel like doing it, or when I can get it into my schedule. Exercise has helped me keep the lipo (and weight) down, and feel a whole lot better. I can't reccommend exercise enough!

In February of this year I decided to join Team in Training and start training to walk a 1/2 marathon.  Seriously, it was perhaps the best thing I've done since I found out.  I concentrated on getting my walking speed up and raising money for leukemia research, so I had less time to sit around, feel sorry for myself, and drown myself in chocolate (my great comfort food).   In about 3 weeks I'll be in Alaska walking -- and it feels great.  I've already decided to do another one in October.

Go Ty!!!!!!!

Offline tsw923

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:23:54 pm »
Ulong,

I totally agree with the 20 year old, in great shape, no extra body fat, girl telling me how to 'get fit'!  That's why I liked Curves -- the women there were 'normal' very few 'super models' there.  Also, though they do have supplements and all that, they didn't really push it, at least at the one I attended.  I really like WWOnline because they make suggestions but there is no one pushing you to 'buy special food' and all that.  Once I got into the hang of eating a more healthy diet, it helps give me new ideas, but I don't feel like I have to follow it completely.

Thanks for your support :-)  I'll put pictures online when I get back!

Ty
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline Christine

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 08:32:34 pm »
Hello,
Like Lisa, food at different points in my life was my best friend too. When my parents would fight, when they divorced, after I was diagnosed, I gained a lot of weight.

I have lost on my own, and I have joined a gym. I went to the gym after being +. I told them I had health problems, and was meds but did not go into details. The gym was for women only, and I did really like it. They also focused on personal empowerment, and self esteem issues.

Do you have access to a nutritionist through your doctor or hospital? They would be able to help with diet.

I also really like a book called Body For Life by Bill Philips. It has very good info on nutrition, aerobic and weight training.

Don't be hard on yourself. Your friends tell you you are beautiful because you are.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline code3mama

• Live, Laugh, Love
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 10:32:53 am »
I don't know if it is a POZ thing or it's just me. Leave me along with Ben & Jerry's you wont see it after 10 min. LOL
I have been on leave from work for 3 months. From a work injury. I feel the fridge is just too close!!!
I have had lipo issues. I have had those areas treated with liposuction. They are more acceptable looking. Not great, acceptable.
My husband on the other hand looks great... Sometimes I hate being the girl.
JAE

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 12:15:35 pm »
I think it's great that you gals work out. I have been talking about it for months but has not been motivated. I want someone to go with me and once I get into it then I won't need anyone. My sister has a membership to the Y and she's there like 2 or3 times a week...Hmmm maybe I can go with her? I think I'm gonna have to call the Y. But tell me how long was it before you saw results?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline tsw923

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 12:46:39 am »
Hey Queen,

I have to say for myself it took about a month before I FELT better, but I didn't really notice any changes in how my clothing fit.  I just felt like I had more energy.  It also helped me deal with my stress levels.  Then about the end of the second month I started to notice the difference in weight and clothing.  Typically fitness folks will say you should lose no more than 2 lbs a week.  At the end of 2 months I was about 15 lbs lighter and my clothes were getting baggy.  Just get yourself to the Y and keep with it.  Reward yourself after the 1st month with a new workout outfit -- you know something color coordinated, etc.  You may also find that you like taking classes more than doing weights or treadmill stuff -- it makes you come because people are expecting you.  I say try 'em out.  At one point I was taking a Pole dancing class!!  Talk about feeling sexy :-)   

I don't mind being your online support -- I can nag you about going to the gym 3 days a week :-) 

Happy Sweating!

Ty

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 08:37:18 pm »
I look like I'm pregnant.  People even ask me how far along I am sometimes when I'm out at the store.  I exercise once in awhile.  The lipo is the real bitch.  I can't afford lipo and I refuse to wear jogging pants all the time.  Most of it is about self-acceptance.  You have to learn to accept yourself and then you'll be on your way up.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline geraldinapell

• the kitten looks just like my own cat "Zwiebertje"
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 05:25:04 am »
I look like I'm pregnant.  People even ask me how far along I am sometimes when I'm out at the store.  I exercise once in awhile.  The lipo is the real bitch.  I can't afford lipo and I refuse to wear jogging pants all the time.  Most of it is about self-acceptance.  You have to learn to accept yourself and then you'll be on your way up.

I had the exact same thing for about 4 or 5 years and then the Doctor put me on different meds and the big belly and breasts were gone within 6 weeks, Oh yeah and i only lost one kilo in weight so it's not that you're overweight it's just that the fat in your body, like from your legs and arms, go to your belly and boob's, and a lot of the belly is being bloated, if i ate just one sandwich my stomach swelled right up.
It was just a shame that i had a month before gotten rid of all my clothes that were too small so they wouldn't depress me ::) so i suggest you talk to your Doctor about it there's no need to look like you're pregnant there are other meds.

Good luck
Geraldine
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:28:42 am by geraldinapell »

Offline camille07

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 09:06:22 pm »
I think I see a trend here.  Right after I was diagnosed I gained 30 pounds over the course of a few months.  I finally got the motivation to lose it when my ex husband started dating a real hottie!

Offline ubotts

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 10:08:15 pm »
Hi all my girls with lypo problems..What i would like to know is how long
after taking meds, did u develope lypo problems..
I have been on meds since 2002 and last year i starting seeing a change
around my stomach area..it was a bit tight..this year i cant even get
the size 14 on my stomach..so i went to a size 16..What iam trying to say
or get your views on ..is..just how long were u on meds before you saw
a weight change..Fat stomach, skinny legs n arms and whatever else you ladies would like to share with me..If there could be a med change that would help me.. id like to know what it may be..Iam on Kaletra and combivir and have been on this for almost 4 yrs..before that i was on viread, videx and sustiva..omg what a trip that was..nightmares from hell.
Got off because the sustiva stop working..then they tried trizivir.not sure of the spelling,but it was a once a day pill..It didnt work out to good.
Had the runs so bad i got off it within two weeks..so then my third try was,what iam on now..Kaletra and Combivir..One person said it was the
combivir doing it to me due to the fact that has azt in it..Another person
said lypo was due to Kaletra..I dunno..so confused here..Any suggestion i would appreciate on this subject..
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 07:05:11 am »
Ubotts,

I am leaning to agreeing that it's the Combivir causing the lypo. I don't remember how long it took for me to develop lypo while I was on the AZT/3TC combo, but had the same as you: tight belly, no fat on my legs and butt. I'm on Kaletra now, along with Fuzeon, Viread and Epsicom and my belly is much smaller, specially after I lost 40 pounds.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline poobear

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 01:04:25 am »
Lap Band, I Love it.  Lost 60 lbs so far.  I have always been over weight but about 2 yrs ago I have been out of work on disability non related to HIV.  Anyway I am 5ft 2inches and was 243lbs.  I asked my HIV doc before I had the surgery and he said absolutley have it done,  because if I continued to gain weight like I was I would die of obsiety before the HIV so I had it done in 11/06 and dropped 60lbs.  And you may not be morbidly obese like I was but when the weight gain gets to a certain point to where it risks your health look into the Lap band.  Good luck to everybody and we are all beatiful no matter what.  Much Love Rachel

Offline camille07

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 03:58:49 pm »
Congratulations Rachel, 60 lbs is nothing to shake a stick at.  You must feel pretty good. :)

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 08:58:43 pm »
Rachel, thats fantastic
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 10:29:13 pm »
Hi all my girls with lypo problems..What i would like to know is how long
after taking meds, did u develop lypo problems..

I am now 37 and have been pos since 1993.  To answer Ubotts question above, I started on Videx EC, Zerit and Sustiva Labor Day 2002.  Prior to that I was on Fortovase for six years (along with Imodium AD).  It wasn't until summer 2004 that I started noticing the lipo changes.  My face started looking drawn, my kangaroo pouch had taken on a life of its own no matter how hard I tried to suck it in, and I started to get the stick arms and legs.  My waist and hips were almost the same size, I was now a beach ball instead of a pear.  I switched docs in Jan 2005, and the new doc immediately noticed my pouch.  I thought maybe it was just me getting older (I was 35 then) and not exercising.  I am 5' 6" and in Jan 2005 I weighed about 170 lbs.  Always had a bubble butt and NO boobs, I called them "Wanna - B's!"  Finally after seeing the new doc more times throughout 2005, she decided to switch my meds in October 2005.  I stayed on the Sustiva, but dropped the Videx EC and Zerit for Truvada.  By mid-2006 I started to "get my face back" but it hasn't filled out like it was before.  My doc says that switching meds wouldn't totally reverse the effects of lipo.  I still have a pot belly, and my boobs are huge compared to before.  I am a D cup now.  I have tried to do moderate exercise in order to maintain my weight, which is now 150 lbs.  I have a lot of "back fat" from this as well.  I read about people saying they have a hump at the base of their necks, but I have one very low on my back, right at the tailbone, and my bubble butt is gone.  I have the flat lipo butt now, and the veiny arms and legs, although my legs have never looked better.  I'm just thick in the middle, but at least it hasn't gotten worse!  So, to answer Ubotts inquiry, it took close to two years for the changes to start as far as the lipo.

Cindy   ;D
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline ubotts

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 02:36:44 am »
Thank  for your reply..I havent yet got the camel hump, (thank god) but
iam sure it will come all in due time..My face is the oppitsite of yours..I filled out
in my face..go figure..I always had big boobs and now there bigger..still have
the stick legs and arms, and i had a catscan done and found out i have a hitanial hernia..Iam hoping thats the reason for my big belly and they can fix it..First i was told by the drs, that it was mid life fat, and thats the first place it happens is in the middle..I didnt believe her because i was so bloated, it just had to be something more..so i went to another dr and she sent me for a catscan..and thats what they found, plus a cyst on my kidney..(isnt life full of suprises)..anyway i go back to the drs on friday, and ill see whats what,, if i need
an operation, then fine, ill get it over with, and maybe my belly will go down and
match my legs and arms..........and maybe iam just a dreamer.. ;D
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline pozmadison

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 11:36:09 am »
Hi there--I thought I was the only one that had this bloated stomach thing. I was diagnosed by accident--thru presurgery testing in 2003 and apparently had been positive for many many years. I too gained alot of weight and the depression of both the weight and diagnosis left me with severe depression. I want to get lipo--but of course it costs money that I don't have and on top of the diagnosis--I fell last year and shattered my leg-ended up in the hospital for a month and nursing home all summer of last year. I was determined not to gain any weight and actually lost 50 lbs. I drank protein shakes, fresh fruit and veggies, high fiber cereal and even being in traction was able to lose. However, I have to have more surgery next month to get all this metal removed and again I am afraid of gaining more weight because I will have to be off of my leg for 3 months so all the holes from the metal can heal. I am currently reading the book by Bob Greene--Oprahs trainer--and it is awesome. For those who really want a sensible way to take off pounds I highly recommend it. It sucks to be overweight and be positive and it takes so much from my self esteem and seems like its never ending. It can always be worse though and I keep telling myself that. If anyone has any more information about lipo and how to get it financed through Medicare or Medicaid please let me know--thanks so much

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.