Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:57:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: supplements - but which company???  (Read 11928 times)

Offline rolf1

supplements - but which company???
« on: January 07, 2008, 07:50:39 am »
i read a lot about the advantage of taking supplements and i support the idea to help the body with additional intake of vitamins and minerals in form of tablets. but my question is, which company to choose? there seem to be so much different kinds on the market, from cheap to very expensive, from hip to natural, from potent to basically nothing (i read there have to be certain chemicals added, so that the body can easily absorb the vitamins and minerals - otherwise the good stuff get flushed out).
i for myself use at the moment the company blackmore. i think they are from australia, but not sure as i get the description of the bottles in another language.
i don't want to promote any of these companies, but would be very interested in what you take and what experiences you have. it would be a waste of time and money if someone take expensive supplements which have no or very little result.
waiting for your recommendations...

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
Re: supplements - but which company???
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 01:34:45 am »
Douglas Labs - AMNI - Added Protection without Iron is my multi of choice. Contains 200 mcg of Selenium and is in a chelated form.
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 04:44:30 am »
Hi,

i read a lot about the advantage of taking supplements and i support the idea to help the body with additional intake of vitamins and minerals in form of tablets. but my question is, which company to choose? there seem to be so much different kinds on the market, from cheap to very expensive, from hip to natural, from potent to basically nothing (i read there have to be certain chemicals added, so that the body can easily absorb the vitamins and minerals - otherwise the good stuff get flushed out).
i for myself use at the moment the company blackmore. i think they are from australia, but not sure as i get the description of the bottles in another language.
i don't want to promote any of these companies, but would be very interested in what you take and what experiences you have. it would be a waste of time and money if someone take expensive supplements which have no or very little result.
waiting for your recommendations...

My advice (which is free and worth every penny) is to look for supplements that are USP verified. The bottles will carry a "USP verified" logo. See http://www.usp.org/USPVerified/dietarySupplements/ . The site has a partial list of verified supplements. I have seen many more with this logo. This will at least prove that what is stated on the bottle is what you get - ie. the right ingredient, in the right quantity, without contaminants. There aren't that many brands that have this. One of them is Nature made that you find at many drugstores, and at Costco. Not all of their supplements are USP verified, but about half of them are. The Costco brand (Kirkland) also puts several supplements through USP verification. Sometimes you will find some Walgreen or Longs drugs store brand vitamins that are USP.

If you can't find a USP certification, the next best thing is statement from the company that they follow GMP practices. There is sometimes a GMP logo.

Of course, this merely addresses from which vendor to get the supplements from, not what type to actually get. There is a very wide variety of opinions about that. On my lost hours I like to go to http://scholar.google.com and search for terms like CD4, HIV and a supplement or vitamin name. It almost always finds interesting studies.

One thing most doctors do agree on for HIV support is to take a multivitamin every day. After that, there are a few other supplements with more or less support. Selenium is one that my doctor agrees on, with a recommended dose of 200 micrograms/day.

The multivitamin I take is called "Adam superior multi" and made by Now foods. It is GMP, not USP. See http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=13564 for more details on the ingredient list. It includes the 200 mcg of selenium already, so you don't need to buy a separate supplement. This is much better than, say, your typical Centrum. You can get it either in tablet form (2 big tablets) or capsules (3 capsules). I use the tablets right now since they are cheaper. I buy them from iherb.com, which has pretty good prices and fast delivery. One year supply will run you about $120. If you can only afford one supplement or just don't want to take too many, I would recommend that one. I don't have any affiliation with Now or iherb except as a happy customer.

Other supplements with less support but still of note include alpha lipoic acid, l-glutamine, n-acetyl cysteine, high doses of vitamin B6, B12, C and E, EGCG, beta-carotene, coq10.

Offline mousey

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 10:21:21 am »
Was wondering whether Super Multis from GNC is sufficient?

Nature's Farm Super Multis is designed to optimize your vitality and energy. Bursting with natural vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and a super-energizing green food complex, it delivers 57 nutrients in synergistic harmony. Nature's Farm Super Multis is also fortified with heart friendly Co-enzyme Q 10.

http://naturesfarm.com/product.asp?ID=61    ???

Is there specific ingredient to avoid from supplements?
:: Believe in a cure ::

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 09:29:22 pm »
I think iron is one element to avoid for us . Unless you are a vegeterian.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 10:43:18 am »
I take a women's multi-vitamin that has iron in it.  And that's it-no extra supplements, no other vitamins etc. etc. etc.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 08:35:38 pm »
I take a women's multi-vitamin that has iron in it.  And that's it-no extra supplements, no other vitamins etc. etc. etc.

It's probably OK at low dose, but you still may want to think about a multi without iron next time you buy one.
It seems the women's multis tend to include it more frequently than the men's multis. For example the NOW "adam" male multi I take is iron-free, but their "eve" multi for women has it ...

Nevertheless, some more info :
http://www.pronutrition.org/archive/200407/msg00009.php
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0306987701913684
http://www.hivplusmag.com/column.asp?id=584&categoryid=5

From the last link, "Iron supplementation in subgroups with HIV infection has been associated with progression of HIV disease, higher mortality, and shorter survival times."

Offline CaliGuy22

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 03:50:51 pm »
Hey Mad! I am way behind on this topic but could you explain why the Iron is bad for us? Or why I want to avoid it, anything else we should avoid? and do you have any studies or anything to show it. I am just new at this and starting to study and pick out what supplements to take. Thanks a ton!!!
~Jay
Compassion is Revolution.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 04:28:19 pm »
I've been taking a women's mutli-vitamin with iron for years and it's not directly caused HIV progression or any other adverse effect. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 11:29:53 pm »
It's probably OK at low dose, but you still may want to think about a multi without iron next time you buy one.
It seems the women's multis tend to include it more frequently than the men's multis. For example the NOW "adam" male multi I take is iron-free, but their "eve" multi for women has it ...

Mad,
While you attempt an air of expertise on nutrition by tossing about googled links to studies, the increased demand for dietary iron among women has been long been understood in the context of menstruation despite some compensation due to size differences between the sexes:

http://www.healthyeatingclub.org/bookstore/foodqa/ch5/5-6.htm

In the age of highly active antiretroviral therapy, the potential for anemia without supplementation remains a greater concern for women that any kick given to the bugs.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 02:32:53 pm »
I have been taking K-PAX vitamins and also Juven for working out along with a protien drink 2 times a day. Seems to be working. K-PAX is a little expensive.
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 05:39:37 pm »
Working? How is it working?

MtD

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 06:36:15 pm »
Well prior to taking the Juven my bench press was around 250. Now I am benching 275 for 2 reps not bad. I think the Juven has helped with lean muscle mass and has given me more energy. I think however you probably can go out and just by some HMB and the other 2 supplements that are in the Juven and it will do just as well for you. K- PAX has also helped with my energy level. Once again you probably can get it cheaper, but I buy it because I can afford it and it has all the important stuff you need.
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 06:59:03 pm »
Cheers!

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.