Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:41:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 332
Total: 332

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Woman-to-woman HIV transmission likely in Texas case  (Read 12197 times)

Offline emeraldize

Re: Woman-to-woman HIV transmission likely in Texas case
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:23:35 am »
Where relevant, it 's unfortunate the author didn't use 'negative' instead of 'clean'.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:06:27 am »
http://www.familypracticenews.com/news/infectious-diseases/single-article/woman-to-woman-hiv-transmission-likely-in-texas-case/c7fbe060f18a1fa0015c805a9bdf663e.html
Likely is not the same as verified documented. The CDC can't say without any uncertainly that she was infected in that manner she states.  In 30 plus years, 2 people state they contracted HIV from Lesbian sexual practices. If it was possible there would be 100s of thousands of Lesbians with HIV and or AIDS. So don't jump to a conclusion without reading the other documented articles.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:47:45 am »
CDC morbidity and mortality report:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6310a1.htm?s_cid=mm6310a1_w

The editorial notes have some interesting data, and is summarized:

This report describes likely female-to-female transmission of HIV-1 supported by phylogenetic analysis in a WSW couple who had unprotected sex during a 6-month monogamous relationship. Although rare, HIV transmission between WSW can occur. All persons at risk for HIV, including all discordant couples, should receive information regarding the prevention of HIV and sexually transmitted infections to prevent the HIV-negative partner from acquiring the infection. Furthermore, all persons identified as infected with HIV should be linked to and retained in medical care. Control of HIV infection with suppression of viral load can result in better health outcomes and a reduced chance of transmitting HIV to partners.

Offline ohwell

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 01:00:16 pm »
well, they reported that they didnt share needles and stuff but they reported rough sex with toys and even bleeding during menstraution. Even though i know hiv is rendered unable to infect once it is exposed to air and blah blah..., maybe they are some rare... that's all.
they made me do it

Offline Dan0

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 01:10:50 pm »
Maybe it's just me.....but I have to question some of the validity. I'm not questioning the event but perhaps there is more to the story (or less).  If the reporter in question is going to use the word "clean" in this writing then I just wonder how much due diligence was put into the rest of the story.  Surely, there is some proof-reader that would have seen that IF there was any substantive check of the article.  Perhaps it was just a benign inclusion and a simple reference - but anyone even remotely concerned with their writing and journalism cred would have spotted that if not for the connotation but that it's simply BAD WRITING.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:18:26 pm by Dan0 »
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 02:32:39 pm »
that it's simply BAD WRITING.

Or a case of BAD TRUTH TELLING on the part of one of the women. I remember a WSW case that was always bandied about years ago - until it finally came out that the woman had been lying about not having sex with men. She'd been shagging some guy on the sly and didn't want her girlfriend to know.

This ONE CASE in over 30 years of hiv does nothing to change my mind about anything I know or teach to others about hiv transmission. I'd go into more detail (and might/probably will later), but I'm absolutely knackered right now and my hip is killing me (I feel for you Betty, I know what I'm feeling isn't a patch on what you've been going through, but damn...) and I'm in no mood right now to rebut this one-in-a-trillion case study.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 02:58:28 pm »
The link above no longer works-- for me at least.  I read it last night, but now it wants a sign in.  So, here's another link:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/54672704/#.UyNQW8u9KSM

Offline AusShep

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 03:00:39 pm »
Maybe it's just me.....but I have to question some of the validity. I'm not questioning the event but perhaps there is more to the story ...

... and I'm in no mood right now to rebut this one-in-a-trillion case study.

I dont understand the need or desire to refute this.  Rare transmissions are sure to happen, I think the CDC article has 3 others.  Why try to explain it away vs. leaving it as exceedingly rare?  I'm certainly not advocating changing the Am I Infected? responses, I don't know how you all put up with it to be honest.

I'd just leave it with the wrap up at the bottom of the CDC report.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6310a1.htm?s_cid=mm6310a1_w

What is already known on this topic?
Cases of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection transmitted by sexual contact between women who have sex with women are rare and difficult to ascertain. Other, more common, modes of transmission, such as injection drug use and heterosexual sex, usually are difficult to rule out. However, female-to-female transmission is possible because HIV can be found in vaginal fluid and menstrual blood.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 03:03:24 pm by AusShep »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 03:20:23 pm »

She's probably been knocking back too many Pussy Beers.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 03:52:01 pm »

She's probably been knocking back too many Pussy Beers.

Or it was those damn Doritos again. ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2014, 04:00:47 pm »
I would would only have NSA sex with a menstruating woman . Go ahead and groan out loud I don't care .  8)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 04:08:07 pm »
I would would only have NSA sex with a menstruating woman . Go ahead and groan out loud I don't care .  8)

Watchit buddy, or I'll tell the one about the seagull again.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 04:09:43 pm »
Watchit buddy, or I'll tell the one about the seagull again.

You really should get a bird feeder if you are going to do that .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 04:11:27 pm »
You really should get a bird feeder if you are going to do that .

Why invest in timber and screws when you can just fling?

And if you really wanna groan - how about this one. It figures they're from Texas, after sex their bedroom must have looked like the Texas Chainsaw Massacrer was involved.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline AusShep

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 04:17:11 pm »

And if you really wanna groan - how about this one. It figures they're from Texas, after sex their bedroom must have looked like the Texas Chainsaw Massacrer was involved.

Scissoring is serious business here.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:36:07 pm by AusShep »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 04:19:34 pm »
Scissoring in serious business here.

'Zactly! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 04:21:49 pm »
Or it was those damn Doritos again. ;)

She must have missed the Marvelyn Brown Doritos edition that came out a few years ago.  With a piece of thread and a button, those bags could be made into condoms....

Offline zach

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 04:34:55 pm »
skee, maybe it was somebody else, but i seem to remember you and i are both facebook friends with marvelyn...  :o

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 04:38:02 pm »

Yeah I look at her pictures in a bikini from time to time.  She's thick. :)

Offline zach

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 04:40:04 pm »
lol, you dog, its all coming back to me now

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Woman with HIV infects female sex partner, CDC says
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 08:52:00 pm »

I just read this article in today's Tampa Bay Times:

Woman with HIV infects female sex partner, CDC says....

http://www.tampabay.com/news/nation/woman-with-hiv-infects-female-sex-partner-cdc-says/2170370

The first confirmed case of lesbian transmission of HIV was reported by federal health officials, who said the event was exceedingly rare but nonetheless advised lesbian couples in which one partner is infected to take precautions.

Genetic tests showed that the virus in the two women was more than 98 percent identical, all but proving that one had infected the other, according to the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report issued Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In numerous previous studies of women who thought they might have been infected by other women, either no genetic testing was done or the newly infected women reported other activity that could have been the cause, such as recent sex with men, drug injections or transfusions.
Related News/Archive

The women in the new case, both in their 40s, lived in Houston when the transmission took place in 2012. The infected partner had been on treatment for HIV from early 2009 to late 2010 but had stopped taking the drugs. The women reported having sex during their periods and using insertive sex toys.

The newly infected woman reported no other sex partners for six months before infection; she tested negative on an HIV antibody test when she sold blood plasma in March 2012.

Ten days later, the woman went to a hospital emergency room with flulike symptoms that can indicate an early HIV infection. She again was negative on an antibody test and was given antibiotics on the assumption that she had a cold or flu. Eighteen days later, again at a blood plasma center, she tested positive.

In an editorial, CDC officials advised that all infected people having sex with uninfected ones stay on daily antiretroviral drugs, which can reduce virus levels in blood and bodily fluids so much that transmission is highly unlikely.

Woman with HIV infects female sex partner, CDC says 03/15/14 [Last modified: Saturday, March 15, 2014 12:33am]

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2014, 09:03:10 pm »

Sorry,  didn't see this already posted....

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RapidRod

Re: Woman with HIV infects female sex partner, CDC says
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2014, 09:05:06 pm »

I just read this article in today's Tampa Bay Times:

Woman with HIV infects female sex partner, CDC says....

http://www.tampabay.com/news/nation/woman-with-hiv-infects-female-sex-partner-cdc-says/2170370

The first confirmed case of lesbian transmission of HIV was reported by federal health officials, who said the event was exceedingly rare but nonetheless advised lesbian couples in which one partner is infected to take precautions.

Genetic tests showed that the virus in the two women was more than 98 percent identical, all but proving that one had infected the other, according to the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report issued Thursday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In numerous previous studies of women who thought they might have been infected by other women, either no genetic testing was done or the newly infected women reported other activity that could have been the cause, such as recent sex with men, drug injections or transfusions.
Related News/Archive

The women in the new case, both in their 40s, lived in Houston when the transmission took place in 2012. The infected partner had been on treatment for HIV from early 2009 to late 2010 but had stopped taking the drugs. The women reported having sex during their periods and using insertive sex toys.

The newly infected woman reported no other sex partners for six months before infection; she tested negative on an HIV antibody test when she sold blood plasma in March 2012.

Ten days later, the woman went to a hospital emergency room with flulike symptoms that can indicate an early HIV infection. She again was negative on an antibody test and was given antibiotics on the assumption that she had a cold or flu. Eighteen days later, again at a blood plasma center, she tested positive.

In an editorial, CDC officials advised that all infected people having sex with uninfected ones stay on daily antiretroviral drugs, which can reduce virus levels in blood and bodily fluids so much that transmission is highly unlikely.

Woman with HIV infects female sex partner, CDC says 03/15/14 [Last modified: Saturday, March 15, 2014 12:33am]
No where did the article say confirmed, it says likely. Not the same thing as confirmed.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6310a1.htm
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:10:33 pm by RapidRod »

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2014, 09:14:19 pm »
No where did the article say confirmed, it says likely. Not the same thing as confirmed.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6310a1.htm

Rod,

In the article from the Tampa Bay Times first sentence:  "The first confirmed case of lesbian transmission of HIV was reported by federal health officials, who said the event was exceedingly rare but nonetheless advised lesbian couples in which one partner is infected to take precautions."

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 09:17:24 pm »

Rod,

In the article from the Tampa Bay Times first sentence:  "The first confirmed case of lesbian transmission of HIV was reported by federal health officials, who said the event was exceedingly rare but nonetheless advised lesbian couples in which one partner is infected to take precautions."

Ray
The URL I quoted is from the CDC.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2014, 09:23:07 pm »
The URL I quoted is from the CDC.

;) I got ya !!    The article from today's local paper, came from the New York Times Syndication,.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 07:19:01 am »

Rod,

Ray

ROFLMFAO Yeah, and how many times have newspapers and other news outlets claimed that hiv was cured? Tickle me pink! ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Giancarlo

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2014, 12:34:07 pm »

It says likely because there is no way to "confirm" it.
There is never any way to confirm any kind of HIV transmission.
By the way, I don't think there is any "documented case" of anal transmission of HIV: they don't put people in a room for weeks and check what kind of sexual intercourse they have.

If there are very few reported cases of woman-to-woman transmission, it can mean two things:
- either woman-to-woman transmission is possible but very rare, i.e. the per act probability of transmission is very low
- or it is impossible (per act probability=0) and the few reported cases are mistakes

Stating "if woman-to-woman transmission was possible, there would be many more cases" doesn't make any sense.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 12:40:31 pm by Giancarlo »

Offline zach

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2014, 01:05:22 pm »
i have read an article, which i will track down if anyone calls for the reference, that said their strains were 90 some odd % genetically identical. the only other scenario i could see, they had a man in their bedroom, either together or individually with the same man. i used to be into that sort of thing, it happens.

talking about hiv transmission gets dirty nasty. its hard for the media to do, they treat it with kid gloves. and try to sanitize something that just isn't roses and fluffy kitties.

the longer i live with this, they more i think we get it from a man, he puts it deep in our ass. thats the statistical reality, anything else is an outlier anomaly. anyone trying too hard to argue that outlier, is battling their own self acceptance.

and i'm gonna steal a line from st hillary, "what does it matter now?" other than as research data, has it mattered to anyone of us, who or how we exposed ourselves to? i have absolutely no way of knowing who, when, where (maybe where, that bathhouse i really liked) or the big why WHY... me

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.