Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:22:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 379
Total: 380

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: GO ENGLAND!!!!!!!  (Read 9598 times)

Offline Cliff

GO ENGLAND!!!!!!!
« on: June 10, 2006, 09:10:38 am »
I'm heading out to go watch Englad kick Paraguay's arse in football, and I got my red and white shirt and trainers on!!!

Good luck to the rest of the countries out there (USA plays in a couple of days, I think)!!!!!!

Lil Steve, Good luck to the Aussies (yall are gonna need it to get past that tough scehdule...and so will we).

My Teams (in this order):

USA
England
Brazil (one of my bud is Brazilian and so I gotta go for them, plus I still remember watching them win it in the USA and having a street party in Houston)
France (only because my soon-to-be-boyfriend, who's wife is soon to have a tragic accident, plays for them and I hope to see his penis fall out of his shorts, again).  Thierry Henry of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 06:51:11 am by Cliff »

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
Re: GO ENGLAND!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:24:37 am »
You're an allegiance switcher!!! ;D
Yup, I saw that USA plays on Monday.
I might even watch my first footie game this weekend.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Markmt

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 12:48:09 pm »
I enjoyed watching the opening game. Germany played very well.
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 01:05:31 pm »
My wife is American, so I promised to support the USA.

My teams are..

First England
Very distant second,USA
Very Very distant third Poland.

Teams I hope go home with egg on their faces after the first round because I hate them with a passion.

Brazil
Argentina
Italy
Spain
Portugal
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Markmt

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 01:12:15 pm »
You just have declared war HIVworker  ;D....
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 04:28:06 pm »
I'll have to say, that watching Argentina play Ivory Coast, is like watchng the Harlem Globetrotters play a high school team.
Looks like a giant game of keep-away.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006, 05:05:54 pm »
I'm not so sure. Ivory coast gave them a run for their money in the end. The thing about the Argie's that I hate is their gamesmanship. It's all the shoving, spitting and putting the ball in with their hands that makes me hate them. I think that's why Brazil, England, Germany, Holland, Poland and Scotland hate them too. Each of us have been on the receiving end of their cheating play.

I'm just tired of Brazi. Portugal k/o'd England in Euro2004 and Spain bore me as a team.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 07:25:17 pm »
England did well the first half, but their game got worse the second half.  Football is one boring game.  10 minutes after it started, I was already trying to find other stuff to keep me occupied.

Offline fearless

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 07:41:20 pm »
Yay Cliff. Go England ;D
As the Socceroos (Australia) have only ever made it to the finals once, I usually go for England, so they're my second team after the Socceroos.
It was dull game last night Cliff but sink a few pints and get in on the fun.
There are big expectations on the Socceroos, but realistically we could lose all three games (Japan, Brazil and Croatia). Making it to the 2nd round would be a minor miracle.  :o but we like being the underdog.
Steve
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006, 09:08:54 pm »
I guess you either have to play football or be brought up with it to stand a chance at enjoying it. I found in America the game isn't liked because there is no 30 second shot-clock or a play clock. It's a game I appreciate because there are few goals and when one is scored, it is more special. Each to their own. Sports are like music, you either like a certain one or you don't. No right answer. I normally go for the little guy in soccer, except England.

England always play like that. They have the skill, but lack the desire. Depends on whether we play Argentina or Germany...

R

Offline Cliff

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2006, 09:53:51 pm »
I guess you either have to play football or be brought up with it to stand a chance at enjoying it. I found in America the game isn't liked because there is no 30 second shot-clock or a play clock. It's a game I appreciate because there are few goals and when one is scored, it is more special. Each to their own. Sports are like music, you either like a certain one or you don't. No right answer. I normally go for the little guy in soccer, except England.
I don't think it's so much as the fact that there is no shot clock or low scores, as Baseball is pretty popular in this country and it doesn't have a "shot clock" mechanism nor high scores.  It's more that the game is too fluid, seems to lack possession coordination and comes accross as very disorganized and pretty aimless to the untrained eye.  But then all sports come accross as disorganized and too fluid, when the person watching it doesn't know the game.

At the end of the day, it's a boring game to me, (and probably to most other Americans), because we grow up participating and watching other sports and have little room for adding a new one.  Just as I'm sure American football, (or basketball), is boring and disorganized to someone in Brazil.

The thing I really hate is that penalty kick thing at the end of a tie game.  That is so damned arbitrary.  They might as well decide the winner by flipping a coin.

Cliff

P.S.- You just hate Argentina because of the war over the Malvinas.  Oh oops, I mean the Falklands.   ;D

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2006, 01:52:41 am »
NO I don't hate Argentina over a war we won, just as much as I don't hate Germany for the same reason. It's the whole "Hand of God" issue that still pisses me off. Ask a Brazilian about Argentina and they will give you the same opinion - cheats.

I think the game is not fluid, even at International level, because teams don't often play together. There are plenty of nerves at higher levels and the ball is often kicked around (like head-tennis) that makes it dull to watch sometimes. I thought the Ivory Coast played some very neat stuff. England were typical England again. I've not seen us play well enough to think we will advance very far in this tourney.

I think a lot of people think baseball is boring too - much like Cricket. As I said, each to their own. Enough people like football to call it the world's game. Or at least the game the world can agree on. This world championship at least invites other teams from around the world to play ;)

R

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2006, 02:02:11 am »
England did well the first half, but their game got worse the second half.  Football is one boring game.  10 minutes after it started, I was already trying to find other stuff to keep me occupied.

Cliff..don't make me come over there...soccer is a great game, Soccer, Baseball, and Ice Hockey are the only sports I watch.

I have to go for England, the Socceroos and Brazil.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2006, 02:06:14 am »
OK, I have to say... when football (soccer) teams wear shorts as form fitting as Australian Rules Football, I shall set my Tivo. Until then, look for me in the college baseball section, cheering a game whose rules escape me, for reasons I dare not elaborate.

Just saying.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2006, 04:46:51 pm »
Five solid weeks of football i'm in heaven!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline ronaldinho

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 11:11:30 pm »
My teams:

first: Brazil
second: all the others, except Argentina
last: Argentina, they are too arrogant and play dirty . If you remind an argentinian that they lost the falklands war , he will probably answer: We lost indeed , but ended up as vice-champions!

Offline Steven

• A Place To Start
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 08:12:50 am »
Watched Mexico Stomp all over Iran !
Great beginning to a world cup event.
Don't think England will make it though they did not look too impressive.
Germany seems like they have it together.
I doubt the USA will make, I not much into their team and will root for whoever they play against.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.