Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:03:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773214
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 464
Total: 467

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Switching from Atripla to Teevir. (Can no longer afford Atripla).  (Read 4000 times)

Offline BKK1

This is my first post so please go easy on me :)

I have been poz since 2005 and on Atripla since 2012 with an UD viral load since then.

I can no longer afford Atripla and want to switch to the generic brand Teevir next month. Is this a straight forward switch?
My plan is to do a set of full set of labs 3 months after making the switch just to check that all is okay.

My ID Doctor always told me if I can afford Atripla then it is better to take that as opposed to generics if I can afford them, which sadly I can no longer.

Is there any downside to taking Teevir? My adherence is about 99%, my labs are always okay except for my cholesterol which I am taking statins for.

Is the efficacy of Teevir as good as original brand Atripla?

Any real world experiences or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Switching from Atripla to Teevir. (Can no longer afford Atripla).
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 06:47:34 am »
This is my first post so please go easy on me :)

I have been poz since 2005 and on Atripla since 2012 with an UD viral load since then.

I can no longer afford Atripla and want to switch to the generic brand Teevir next month. Is this a straight forward switch?
My plan is to do a set of full set of labs 3 months after making the switch just to check that all is okay.

My ID Doctor always told me if I can afford Atripla then it is better to take that as opposed to generics if I can afford them, which sadly I can no longer.

Is there any downside to taking Teevir? My adherence is about 99%, my labs are always okay except for my cholesterol which I am taking statins for.

Is the efficacy of Teevir as good as original brand Atripla?

Any real world experiences or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thx.

Teevir should have the same active ingredients as Atripla and, thus, the same efficacy. 
Your doctor's statement about a name brand being better than a generic is simply NOT based in science. 

Mike

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 08:17:01 am »
Welcome to the forum BTW. I would agree with Mike's comment.

Hope to hear more from you, Best Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline BKK1

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:37:05 am »
Teevir should have the same active ingredients as Atripla and, thus, the same efficacy. 
Your doctor's statement about a name brand being better than a generic is simply NOT based in science. 

Mike
Thank you, Mike. That makes perfect sense. It was just my doctors statement that had sowed a seed of doubt. I appreciate you response.

Offline BKK1

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 09:39:19 am »
Welcome to the forum BTW. I would agree with Mike's comment.

Hope to hear more from you, Best Jim
Noted and thanks for the welcome Jim. :)

Offline Gladragsguy

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 10:22:42 am »
Since they are basically the same thing made by two different companies there is nothing to worry about. So take the extra cash and treat yourself to a nice dinner. If you are in BKK we have a support group that meets to discuss these kinds of things. If you are interested message to sonnowhat.asia@gmail.com

Offline virgo313

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 10:31:14 am »
Big Pharma sponsored Dr to conferences. Itinerary may consist a full day conference plus 3 day of sightseeing. Accommodation will be at 5* hotel.
India generic pharmaceutical don’t sponsor Dr trips...
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline Mindless

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 10:35:47 am »
Hi,

I live in Thailand, started Atripla right after DX couple of years ago and switched to Teever on suggestion by my hiv doc: exactly same drug for a fraction of the price. I didn’t notice any difference between them. 1 year later I decided to swap to generic version of Complera due mainly to mental side effects but that had nothing to do with Teever, I had exactly the same issues when taking original Atripla.

Hope that helps

M
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline BKK1

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2019, 07:11:39 pm »
Since they are basically the same thing made by two different companies there is nothing to worry about. So take the extra cash and treat yourself to a nice dinner. If you are in BKK we have a support group that meets to discuss these kinds of things. If you are interested message to sonnowhat.asia@gmail.com
Thanks, that extra cash will certainly come in useful.
It is good to know that there is a support group in BKK. Much appreciated.

Offline BKK1

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2019, 07:13:10 pm »
Big Pharma sponsored Dr to conferences. Itinerary may consist a full day conference plus 3 day of sightseeing. Accommodation will be at 5* hotel.
India generic pharmaceutical don’t sponsor Dr trips...
Yes, that makes sense now. Thanks for taking the time to reply.  :)

Offline BKK1

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 07:54:28 pm »
Hi,

I live in Thailand, started Atripla right after DX couple of years ago and switched to Teever on suggestion by my hiv doc: exactly same drug for a fraction of the price. I didn’t notice any difference between them. 1 year later I decided to swap to generic version of Complera due mainly to mental side effects but that had nothing to do with Teever, I had exactly the same issues when taking original Atripla.

Hope that helps

M
Thank you, that is very helpful indeed.

I have just spoken to the pharmacy at Bumrungrad where my ID is and Teevir is ฿2,730 for a bottle of 30 tablets as opposed to Atripla which is ฿5,100 for a bottle of 30 tablets.

I have heard that there is a Dr. Seur in Pattaya that provides Teevir for about ฿1,000 a bottle. I will try and book an appointment with him for the meds.

If anyone has any feedback on Dr. Seur in Pattaya that would also be very much appreciated.

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2019, 08:58:36 pm »
The Red Cross Clinic will sell up to a 6 month supply with a written prescription from your doctor for 1,050 baht/30pills... They are located near Lumpini Park...

Offline BKK1

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 10:45:23 pm »
^^^ Thanks Kevin.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2019, 08:54:51 am »
Dr Phillipe's Clinic in Pattaya tends to charge 1400-2000 for teevir (its an NGO nonprofit).  He doesn't like to prescribe more than 2 months at a time. 

He does tend to subsidize poor Thai patients with help for their VL tests etc.  If economy is your concern, I suggest finding a private Dr and having him write the scripts and taking them to the red cross clinic.

Offline BKK1

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2019, 01:17:45 am »
^^^ Thank you for your input, Expat1.

Much appreciated.  :)

Offline shizukav2

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 02:55:18 am »
Just to confirm that Thai Red Cross supply of Teevir is easy BUT

you do need a doctor's precsription... I was getting this from my docotor, Dr Pradap, at Bumrungad.... BUT the hospital now has an egregious, if not close to illegal, policy of now NOT allowing their doctors to issue outisde prescriptions{!}.

Of course, this being Thailand.... this means I now see the very SAME doctor but at Paolo Hospital instead to get the prescription for a 6 month supply.

And just to confirm the drugs are identical - i used Teevir even when covered by insurance, and quickly achieved undetectable status.

Offline BKK1

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 10:14:43 pm »
Thank you. I have noted about Bumrungrads policy of not issuing outside scripts.

I have decided to get Teevir from Samitivej Sriracha Hospital as it is about ฿1,650 per bottle and I can get a 6 month supply. It is also fairly close where I live. (If i lived in Bangkok I would probably go to the Thai Red Cross). Samitivej's costs are reasonable and saves a day travelling to Bangkok and back.

It is reassuring to know your experiences taking Teevir.  :)

Offline gafry53

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2019, 03:14:08 pm »

I get Viraday through India for  around $2000 dollar a year. And have had

no problems so far undetectable.  Try Universal drug store

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.