Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:49:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 133
Total: 134

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: On ADAP and applying for Green Card in August.  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Myoho

On ADAP and applying for Green Card in August.
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:07:23 pm »
Last year in September, I've got my asylum granted. I have to wait for 1 year so I can apply for Green Card. So, this end of August, I will fill the application.
In April 2012, I've got HIV+ diagnose and start my medication in June. I'm on ADAP plus primary care now. I wonder if this is going to affect my Green Card application and result?

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
Re: On ADAP and applying for Green Card in August.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 02:40:00 pm »
You should speak with an attorney who practices immigration law.  If you have one helping you with your Green Card application, he or she would be the best one to answer your question.  If not, ask the person who helped you with your asylum application.
It will boil down to whether ADAP is a public benefit in the eyes of DHS.  Medicaid, SSI (not SSDI) and other poverty-based programs are considered public benefits.  ADAP has different income requirements, so it might not be considered as such.
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline Myoho

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 06:47:30 pm »
I have a lawyer/attorney who helped me with asylum and still with her for Green Card. I email her and she replied last night. She said stick with ADAP and don't change to Medicaid until application and fingerprinted. I will meet her at the end of August. Hope there will be no problem with my Green Card application and result.

If i would like to have a private insurance for HIV care and drugs without burden me so much, any recommendation?
About myself right now: Graduated from NYFA in October 2010 and granted asylum in September 2011. Still struggling to get a job, and doing weekly small catering business at home just to live everyday.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:01:02 am »
Myoho, wow, what a worry that must be for you.

Now this is just my opinion, but I can't see how they can turn you down, for a couple reasons. The biggest reason is that you have been granted asylum and I believe that means they can't make you leave. I really think asylum trumps green card. I could be wrong, but that's how it should be (IMO).

The second thing is that you were diagnosed after being granted asylum. It's not like you already knew. It's not your fault the job market is so poor at the moment and that's what ADAP is for - a safety net for people with hiv who don't have adequate or any health insurance, for whatever reason including lack of a job.

Back in 1985, my husband applied for a green card but he got turned down the first time (he's a British citizen and we were married and living in NY). We'd been married for about six months when he applied (and living together for over a year), but they didn't believe us that it was a real marriage.

However, he appealed. By the time his appeal hearing came around I was seven or eight months pregnant with our daughter (and married for over three years), so they could hardly argue that the marriage was only for the purpose of getting his green card. He was approved.

My point in telling you my (now ex) husband's green card story is that even if you are turned down the first time (which I think is unlikely, given your asylum status), you have the right of appeal. Appeal hearings usually take quite some time before they happen, so by that time you might have a job and health insurance.

By the way, I'm now living in the UK. Here, people who have been granted asylum - and even asylum seekers - are treated for hiv free of charge, just like anyone else here who is living with hiv. Isn't that fantastic?

Good luck with the green card and with your job hunting. Hang in there! I hope everything turns out alright for you. Please keep us posted, ok? :)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Mrmojorisin

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:12:52 am »
 It will  no effect on your green card. In Jan of 2010 HIV was removed from the list of infectious diseases that would prohibit legal immigration. They will probably do a blood test but cannot test for HIV. I know this because I am in the process of getting legal status for my wife and looked it up when I tested positive. You are in good shape. I wouldn't volunteer your status, if I were in your shoes.       You can look it up for yourself at www.uscis.gov and type HIV in the search box.
Started Meds On 5/1/2012 Norvair, Truvada, Prezista, and Bactrim

4/17/2012--CD4 83/ VL 353,000  7.0%
5/15/2012--CD4 218/ VL 4,970    14.1%
6/27/2012--CD4 146/ VL 420      6.1%
10/11/2012-CD4-223/ VL-62       9.5%
2/14/2013--CD4-215/ VL-119      13.6%
7/3/2013---CD4-256/ VL-UD       18.0%
10/18/2013 CD4-223/ VL-UD       22.2%
01/23/2014-CD4-381/VL-UD       25.3%--Dropped the Bactrim
05/01/2014 CD4-370/VL-UD       23.5%
01/08/2015 CD4-455/VL-UD       28.7%
06/18/2015 CD4-422/VL-UD       31.9%
01/07/2016 CD4-275/VL-UD       31.3%
02/10/2016 Switch meds to Tivicay and Truvada
04/25/2016 CD4-426/VL-UD        34.1%
07/14/2016 CD4-414/VL-UD        38.0%

"arrrrhhhhh ahhrrhhhhh aaaarrhhh"- Chewbacca

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 11:42:01 am »
mojo, I don't think Myoho is worried about hiv, he's worried about being on ADAP. They can turn you down if they think you're being a financial burden on the state, but I think his case is a different, partly because of having been granted asylum and also because of what JR said about ADAP possibly not being viewed as a public benefit.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Myoho

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 06:04:32 pm »
Dear Ann, Thanks so much with the reply. It's very pleasant to read your explanation. I decided to live here not only the asylum reason (even tho its the biggest reason, I'm a Come out Gay in media from Indonesia) also cos I have my partner for 8 years now. We married and still looking a great time in the future. I' ve got diagnosed 7 months after asylum granted. My partner supports me very much and I don't see any sign he will leave me for this.
I never think that I will experience these. It's like a roller coaster but I take it like this. everything my decision are and whatever happened, there will be a reason for me.
I will meet my attorney this August and hope everything will be on time for my Green Card cos I would love to be home for my little sister's wedding and see my family for a while.
"Always change poison into medicine"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 08:19:20 am »
Myoho, you're welcome. Glad I could help a bit.

Being married and in a stable relationship should help make your green card application stronger. Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

You're right, the early days of being diagnosed with hiv is definitely like being on a roller coaster. Hang tight - it really does get better in time.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.