Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:34:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 186
Total: 186

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Potential cause of HIV associated dementia revealed  (Read 4267 times)

Offline Growler

“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline freewillie99

Re: Potential cause of HIV associated dementia revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:51:14 am »
Regular moderate exercise as well as some types of anti depressants have been shown to increase levels of BDNF in the brain.  Get off your couch.

Revision: Here's an article that references how exercise supports BDNF production:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/30/how-exercise-benefits-the-brain/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 07:09:59 am by freewillie99 »
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:52:15 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if exercise increased levels of BDNF (as well as neurotrophins) but that's not the issue here. GP120 of HIV interferes with the proper cleavage of proBDNF by host proteins resulting in a toxic form of the growth factor. Until we can purge HIV from the CNS this problem will persist for the foreseeable future.
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 05:06:32 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if exercise increased levels of BDNF (as well as neurotrophins) but that's not the issue here. GP120 of HIV interferes with the proper cleavage of proBDNF by host proteins resulting in a toxic form of the growth factor. Until we can purge HIV from the CNS this problem will persist for the foreseeable future.

This.

Replies like this make me understand why most people who rely solely on mass media for medical information end up seriously misinformed. My occasional forays into technical writing tend to walk the same difficult line between being comprehensible and being accurate.

Short form: You CAN NOT write at less than a college level and be entirely accurate.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 06:57:54 pm »
I obviously didn't express myself to jkinatl2 satisfaction. I wasn't writing a review just a response to the notion that if we'd just exercise our dementia would go away.

I was a medical resercher for 20 years first with the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and then with the University of Utah. I don't rely on the mass media for my medical information. I use NCBI and specifically PUB MED to do my searches of the published peer reviewed  literature. I subscribe to Science, Nature and Scientific American.

In 2004 I had to resign my faculty position due to HIV Dementia. Since then I've tried everything under the sun including exercise, antioxidants, antidepressants, memantine, aricept and plaquinil to no avail. Even if we had a viable drug to restore the conversion of the proform of BDNF to the active (and non toxic) BDNF form we would still be at least a decade away before the product reached the market. We're talking petri dish to the bedside with Phase 1 through 4 clinical trials.

To my mind we need to purge the brain and other reservoirs of HIV. No HIV no neurotoxins. 

2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.