Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 330
Total: 331

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Condom broke during anal sex with hiv+ person  (Read 31423 times)

Offline nicaguytom

Condom broke during anal sex with hiv+ person
« on: October 23, 2007, 07:48:40 am »
Here is my story. I had a condom break on me with a transsexual. I now  know she is HIV positive. I asked her status way before and of course she lied. I know it's my fault anyways so I am not blaming her. What are my chances of testing negative. My life will probably end if I do test positive. I am not a legal US resident. My family will probably still be there for me but how do I get through the next weeks?
 Talked to people at some HIV center. They told me I can take a test called NAT I think. How reliable would that test be at 28 days?? Any info and replies would be really appreciated.

Offline nicaguytom

Re: Condom broke during anal sex with hiv+ person
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 07:50:27 am »
Forgot to add I was the top. I know I have a greater risk because I am not cut. I feel doomed.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 08:34:52 am »
nica,

It's rare for a top to end up positive because of a one-time condom break. However, you do need to test. Forget about expensive NAT testing, you'd be better off waiting until the six week point and testing with a standard test. You can learn more about the different types of tests be clicking on the Lessons links in the Welcome Thread

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, but a six week negative result MUST be confirmed at the three month point.

Please read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line. A correctly used condom rarely breaks.

You being uncut won't have much bearing on your risk factor in a condom break. Being cut is not a guarantee that you won't be infected and being uncut is no guarantee that you will.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 08:35:10 am »
Well fortunately feelings are not facts. Yes, there was some risk because the condom broke. But you were protected until it broke. Your risk was also less because you were topping. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. Given that this was a single and I would guess relatively brief incident, the odds are very much in your favor against transmission having occured.

For future reference make sure that the latex condoms you are using fit you properly.

You do need to get tested. The CDC recommends doing that at 13 weeks for a definitive answer. While you're waiting stay productively busy and you'll be amazed at how much more easily the time can pass. If you find yourself very anxious you can test at 6 weeks for a preliminary answer. At that point all but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so. Assuming you test negative then as I expect you to, you still need to re-test at 13 weeks.

I expect you to come out of this ok. Now get busy with other matters.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 08:41:06 am »
I might add I finished the deed. It was about 5 minutes. I Don't know when the condom broke. Thanks for the replies though. This last week has been a living hell. Thanks guys.

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 01:55:17 pm »
How  often do tops come out positive after such an encounter>???

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 02:09:23 pm »
How  often do tops come out positive after such an encounter>???

How long is a piece of string? It can and does happen. The only way to know if it happened to you is through testing at the appropriate time. No amount of speculation will change that fact.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:09:26 am »
Thanks Andy and Ann. I really have nobody to talk to. I just keep thinking that if I had known when the condom ruptured I would have stopped right away. This days have been a living hell for me and my family.

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 11:38:26 pm »
Just to clear things out. I don't know when the condom ripped. I had intercourse for about 5 minutes. I can't believe this is happening to me. I tried to be safe and still this happens.

Offline nicaguytom

Is this a risk?
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 07:57:35 am »
Recently played with some toys with another guy. He never penetrated me with his penis, only with the toy. I washed it off before I used it on myself. I even put a condom on it. What I am worrying about is maybe he fingered me and had precum or cum on his finger. He didnt really finger me a lot. I am worried about catching hiv like this. Lets say he did have pre cum and then put it in me, is this the same as sex? Help me with this thanks.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 08:04:13 am »
Our rule is to keep all of your comments and questions in the same thread. I've merged your latest entry with your previous ones. Please keep everything in this same thread.

As for your latest concern, there's nothing to be worried about. HIV is a fragile virus and it just doesn't get transmitted from objects such as sex toys or via fingering, even if he had some of his own precum on his hands.

Sexually risk is about unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse and that's pretty much it.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 07:32:30 am »
Played with sex toys with a guy of unknown status. Let's say he's positive because he has barebacked other bottoms. I didn't have sex at all with him. But he did penetrate me with a butt plug. I washed it before playing. I done this before, even posted here but this time I'm really nervous. He might have put precum on the butt plug and then penetrated me with it about 5/10 seconds after. I'm sure he precums a lot. How risky was it. The precum was fresh and he had fingered me before possibly causing an abration in my butt. I'm worried big time. I know it was dumb what I did because I didn't stop him. How risky is this?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 08:07:25 am »
No risk. Take the time to read the lessons on transmission.

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 08:23:36 am »
The precum was fresh, sir. It was inserted into me right away.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 08:33:30 am »
Fresh precum on the toy still isn't a risk for HIV transmission. HIV is a very fragile virus and doesn't remain viable on environmental surfaces including sex toys.

You are worrying needlessly. Please believe me that if we had any doubts about a risk in this situation we would know and we would say so. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 08:40:53 am »
Sounds very reassuring. I was going through a tough time because of this. I just figured since the transfer was very quick it was basically the same as unprotected sex. So, I assume the same goes for the fingering before this. Fresh precum and fingering would be the same non-risk, right? Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 08:54:43 am »
That's right, fingering is not a risk no matter what details you throw into the mix.
Andy Velez

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 09:17:38 am »
I read the lesson on HIV transmission. Read the digital risk and it only states cuts on finger as a no risk. No info on precum. Why is that?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2010, 09:36:25 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2010, 09:48:17 am »
Because it's not a risk for transmission in the manner you are concerned about. If it was it would have been included.
Andy Velez

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010, 09:59:20 am »
One last comment. When the guy touched his precum and then the toy it was only about 5 seconds. He right away penetrated me with it. Would this have been enough time to render it not infectious? Like I said my last post.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2010, 10:02:26 am »
Still not a risk. Once HIV is exposed to the air is quickly becomes not viable. What you are concerned about is a common sexual activity. If there was any risk we would have known about it long before today. As with so many others who are worried, there is always the thought yah, but my situation was different because... Only your situation's details don't change the fact that you weren't at risk.

I'm going to tell you now that coming back repeatedly with "just one more" question about a non-risk activity is heading you in the direction of getting a 28 day Time Out from the site. Consider  yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2010, 07:58:59 am »
Been looking around other sites. They list my risk of fresh precum on a toy inserted into me as risky. Is this conservative thinking or outdated info. Will stop posting. Will keep reading your website.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2010, 08:15:33 am »
Nica,

Yes, it's both conservative and outdated.

I'm giving you that time out you were warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline nicaguytom

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 01:18:59 am »
After being anxious about my exposure. Fingered with precum and precum on a sex toy inserted into me I tested via home access test at 6 weeks and 4 days, my result was negative. Is home access considered reliable when you guys state 6 weeks is a great sign you wont test positive at 12 weeks? I been having signs of neuropathy on my feet. Should I test again?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 01:30:40 am »
Nica,

Fingering and sticking a dildo up your ass is not a risk for HIV transmission. Not even with pre-cum on it.

Your six week negative test is conclusive. You do not have HIV.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines and remember your next Time Out will be for 56 days.

MtD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.