Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:03:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 225
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Secretly freaking out about my husband's health  (Read 6997 times)

Offline SecretKeeper

Secretly freaking out about my husband's health
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:29:33 am »
I was reading the lessons last night about starting meds and came across the part where it said that normally most people don't develop AIDS for approx. 10 years after infection.  My husband was just diagnosed in June and his numbers were already too close to that dreaded 200 mark that we are both afraid that his next set of labs coming up will give him that diagnosis. 

His first set was CD4 314 VL 9000 17%.  He has been having terrible headaches, weird things going on with his tongue and mouth and last night he had night sweats.  He gets his next draw at the end of this month and will go for the results 10/18.  I'm pretty sure they will be recommending meds.  (A scary thing to me in itself.)

I am just so confused how his numbers could be so low already.  We're pretty sure he was infected last October or November so it's only been a year.  (He had textbook seroconversion illness symptoms the beginning of December.)   ???   ???   ???

Offline allopathicholistic

I developed AIDS 5-6 years into my diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 09:37:06 am »
Good morning Secret. I don't have the answers to your questions but personally AIDS showed up 5-6 years into my diagnosis. The reason why I say 5-6 is because date of infection was either in 1999 or 2000 (I don't know which). I got an AIDS diagnosis in late 2005, but possibly reached the AIDS level earlier (I didn't have bloodwork drawn again after my my actual HIV diagnosis back in mid 2000, until late 2005)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 09:52:16 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
Re: Secretly freaking out about my husband's health
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 01:19:31 pm »
Hi, about the progress of Aids and his numbers... i cannot tell much, i would just say that CD4 tend to vary a lot during first year.

I think i have less than a year infected (i think it was end of october/november last year) but my first CD4 was 494. Couple of months later it grew up as you can see in my signature. I think it is matter of being a bit cautious in avoiding getting ill or anything that could affect his health, he can have improve his numbers yet.

About the night sweats i have had them since diagnosed, and it is not always related to a low CD4 it is just a reaction of body towards infection. What you both should do is to prepare for an improvement in his CD4, by taking steps to make it happen... healthy food, proper resting, and so on. Worry too much just pull the CD4 levels down.

If he was recently infected, i think he has lot of chances of improving his numbers as long as he does not have anything else bothering him. Be optimistic.

Cheers, Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 08:22:16 pm »
There are no absolutes about how the numbers go up or down. The important thing is for him to have a good doctor who is monitoring his numbers regularly. The pattern of the numbers is very important. If he is fairly recently infected then they may begin to move up (CD4s) and VL move down as his immune system kicks in.

Having a good partnership with one's doctor is essential so that you/he can ask questions and discuss anything of concern.

You're in a period of adjustment for sure. This will take time to get used to by all who are concerned. Gradually you're going to learn everything you need to.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline elpffa

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 12:31:11 am »

His first set was CD4 314 VL 9000 17%.  He has been having terrible headaches, weird things going on with his tongue and mouth and last night he had night sweats.  He gets his next draw at the end of this month and will go for the results 10/18.  I'm pretty sure they will be recommending meds.  (A scary thing to me in itself.)

I am just so confused how his numbers could be so low already.  We're pretty sure he was infected last October or November so it's only been a year.  (He had textbook seroconversion illness symptoms the beginning of December.)   ???   ???   ???

My son's first CD4 was in the high 200s.  I, too, worried until the next test that he would be diagnosed with AIDS.  The next test was over 300, but his doctor still recommended meds.  Then I worried that he would have resistance to many meds, which the testing showed he did.  Then I worried that he would have an allergic reaction to his medication -- which he didn't.  Two years into this nightmare, his CD4 is over 600 and he has an undetectable VL. I still worry about each sneeze and cough. The point is -- there will always be things to worry about.  Each new issue you face is scary in itself, but you just keep crossing the bridges when you get to them and life goes on. 

Don't freak out secretly -- share your feelings on this forum, or just read the posts to comfort yourself.  Share what you can with your husband.  Ask questions of his doctor.  Knowledge is a good thing and can help you face these challenges. 

You will get through this.  I don't want to suggest it gets easier, but it does get manageable. 

You are brave, you are strong, you are loved.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.