Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:33:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 613
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Come back in 2 months, worried about my count.  (Read 3967 times)

Offline JD40

Come back in 2 months, worried about my count.
« on: May 05, 2015, 12:11:25 pm »
Just had my cd4 and VL results back.

CD4 = 311
VL = 261,000

The doc has said no need to start meds but come back in 2 months for another test to see how it is then. 

I've read people starting meds with a higher cd4 count to mine.  My VL seems high?  My glands in my throat have been up for 8 weeks, they sometimes hurt a little.

Should I trust this doc's decision?  I'm concerned and worried about a 2 month wait.

I'm from UK so meds are on the NHS.  Another question for anyone reading this in the UK, how do you receive your meds, do they get delivered to your house and if so how frequently and what length of supply do you get?

Many thanks in advanced.

Offline zach

Re: Come back in 2 months, worried about my count.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 12:22:56 pm »
First, I'm an advocate for immediate treatment, always will be. Many studies now show that early treatment leads to a long term higher quality of life. And, treatment as prevention is an effective way of stopping the spread of the virus.

A normal CD4 count is 500 and above. Your immune system has already sustained substantial damage. At this point, what is the doctor waiting for? A diagnosis of AIDS? You're 111 points away from that, you are closer to AIDS than you are to a normal count. Wouldn't you rather avoid that?

Your viral load. Do some math here, think of breeding rabbits. those 261k viral cells are multiplying... all the time.

Do you have access to meds? Do you have that option? Once you begin treatment, are you willing to remain adherent? I realize different countries have different guidelines, and this may be influencing your situation.

As of right now, you are on a one way ride to an AIDS diagnosis. The only thing that will stop that is medicine.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:33:43 pm by zach »

Offline JD40

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 12:43:01 pm »
Many thanks Zach... I just broke out into a sweat reading that but i really appreciate you taking the time to inform me.  My thoughts on these counts were worrying.  I will receive treatment from the NHS of which I have been paying National Insurance since the day I started work 25 years ago.  I can't seem to understand why this doc is waiting, I know the NHS here in UK is having huge financial probs at the moment, surely he's not trying to save money and waiting for the last minute to treat me.

He said that the count can vary and that's why I would need to do another test... but in 2 months time, seriously!!!

I think I'll phone them a demand a further blood test asap.

Thanks for your support Zach.

Offline zach

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 12:47:59 pm »
whoa slow down now

another blood test asap is not going to shed any additional light on your situation

your doctor is correct, a single test is only a snapshot and doesn't give a full picture... but you are where you are at right now, and it's not exactly a great place to be. it is correct that the trend of tests over time tracks much better a persons progress/decline

i simply disagree that waiting to begin treatment (for any reason) is a good idea

don't freak out, don't sweat, and don't fall apart. stay calm... i remember who you are now :)

you're newly diagnosed and freaking out, it's normal, everything is gonna be alright

look up at the top of the screen... all those buttons up there, start exploring. "about hiv/aids" and "treatment" read up. when you're done reading there, slow down on the reading. information overload will start to freak you out too.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:52:57 pm by zach »

Offline zach

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 12:57:04 pm »
and we do have members on your side of the pond.

meds can be delivered, some find that convenient, some prefer a relationship with a pharmacist. i don't know what your options will be.

usually meds are given in 30 day increments, assuming (don't assume, there are many med options) a single dose regimen then each bottle will have a month supply. some places you'll get three bottles at a time. again, your situation may vary

again, start reading those lessons.

and glad you came back after that first post the other week :)

Offline JD40

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 01:20:09 pm »
ok scrap the blood test I'll request that I'd like to start treatment asap, what's the point in stalling the inevitable? I'll be fine with the meds (i hope) and I'm fine with the whole thing just eager to get going with it all.  I'll have a further click around here and thanks Zach yep I'll be here from time to time now :)

Offline JD40

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 03:05:49 pm »
Well all turned out ok Zach..  I saw the doc and I've started the meds today!  Have 2 months supply of truvada, prezista & norvir.

Please raise a glass for me I'm now in the meds club  ;D ;D ;) 8)

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 03:42:30 pm »
hey awesome, i was on that combo all last year, tolerated very well

you stick with that, everyday, you'll do fine

cheers! i'll have a pint for you at the pub, on the way out now

Offline TheNormalLife

• Rules have changed; giving up is never an option
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 11:04:14 pm »
Rising my glass to you, too! Zach, don't drink and drive or repair airplanes.

Cheers!

Ray.
09/14 Conversion
12/14 Diagnosed
12/14 CD4-6; VL-4245 (wrong CD4 test)
01/15 CD4-530 (pheeew)
01/15 CD4-755
03/15 CD4-545; VL-14401
04/15 CD4-623; VL-4531
04/15 Truvada/Efavirenz
07/15 CD4-595; VL-UD
08/15 CD4-763; VL-UD
11/15 CD4-581; VL-UD
03/16 CD4-523; VL-UD
07/16 CD4-655; VL-UD
09/16 CD4-820; VL-UD
03/17 CD4-544; VL-UD
03/17 CD4-669; VL-UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.