Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:32:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 451
Total: 451

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: viral load... how long until undetectable?  (Read 5956 times)

Offline robmacedo

viral load... how long until undetectable?
« on: June 23, 2007, 12:33:54 pm »
hey guys: i´ve already wrote two different posts (attached at the end of my messgae) to this forum and once again can´t thank you all enough for all the useful iformation and kind and encouraging words from all of you...

not sure if with my next question now i´m looking for a real answer or some sort of validation for my insecurities regarding the treatment...

to make it short, is started on combivir and sustiva (my first regimen ever) on february and my status before was:
viral load: 639,000
CD4: 146 / 12%

a month later (march) i was really happy to learn about a sharp vl drop and that my CD4 was also going in the right direction:
viral load: 1,244
CD4: 243 / 18%

so i was really hoping that by the time i get my third set of results (april), my vl would be undetectable... it was not... it was actually a little higher than before:
viral load: 2,400
CD4: 431 / 19%

my doctor told me that my treatment number are to be considered a successful story so far, but i guess i was hoping so much to be undetectable that i was not feeling really happy when i left his office... he asked me if i had a cold or something when i took my last test (that could have affected the results) but i told him i was not sick at the time at all...

my concern is that the virus i have might be resistant to the medication (since there is always a chance to get infected from someone who´s already in treatment)... the thing is that, with that sharp vl drop on my first set of numbers after starting treatment i didn´t even considered that possibility anymore... is it still possible the bug ip´ve got is that tricky?

also, since i don´t have much people to compare numbers with, am i really at a point where i can say my treatemnt is succesfull? true, my CD4 is going in the right direction but at a very slow pace...

sorry if my doubts seem pretty stupid; after all things are not that bad, since i still had no side effects at all and i´ve never had any hiv-related complication ever (learned about my positive status in 2005)...

i also understand that each individual phisiology responds at his/her own pace, but i guess i was just trying to hear different thoughts and points of view from more experienced people until i get my next set of results (which will happen in a couple of weeks)...

thanks again in advance to all you guys and again i´m really sorry if my questions are just to silly...

take care you all,
rob

-

Main Forums / Questions About Treatment & Side Effects / Re: Starting Treatment  on: April 08, 2007, 11:20:32 AM

hey guys: first of all i want to thank all the posts and the useful information,,, you guys rock!

also a quick update: ive been on combivir and sustiva for more than a month now and had no side effects at all (at least the short term stuff)...

lipodistrophy is still a ghost in my thoughts, but my doctor says is very unllikely to occur... plus, since i have constant follow up consultations because of the study (biweekly now, then monthly) we will have time to stop more serious damage to occur... he says its just so good that im not having any side effects at all that is worth the small risk of the lipoistrophy...

next week ill have my first set of results after i started the treatment, im keeping my fingers crossed...

thanks again to all of you, specially the ones that wrote me directly (to whom i sent private messages)...

take care, roberto

Main Forums / Questions About Treatment & Side Effects / Starting Treatment  on: December 10, 2006, 01:02:36 AM

Hi guys:

First of all I´d like to thank you for all useful information I found in the forums.

I´m a 41 y.o. Brazilian guy from Rio de Janeiro and know I´m HIV poz for the last couple of years.

Up to last September my CD4 count was in the 300/400 range and I had no symptoms of any kind. So all I was doing was following it up closely (I´ve got a great contact at Fundação Osvaldo Cruz (FIOCRUZ), a research institution well-known in Brazil and all over the world).

And so my CD4 numbers started to drop. 280 in October and 178 November.  It´s time for meds.

My doubt is very simple. I have been offered to participate in a study at FIOCRUZ which is sponsored by the US National Institute of Health. It is basically a study to compare how different classes of drugs reduce viral load of people in different parts of the planet.

There are three arms: 1) AZT/3TC + EFV; 2) FTC + ATV + ddl-EC; 3) FTC/TDF + EFV. If I chose to participate, I will be assigned to one of those regimens (randomly).

As many HIV poz guys, I am afraid that one of the combinations above might be more likely to cause lipoatrophy.
I also don´t want to skip any steps, since I never took any medication (if my virus don´t show any sign of resistance I pretty much have all the options).

On the flip side I know that the medical professionals at FIOCRUZ are great and I won´t ´ be submitted to any crazy test (it´s a phase IV study). Plus, participating on the study I will have an extra support to maintain adherence to my regimen and will have an even closer monitoring.

I know it sounds like a win/win situation but it is a important step and I just wanted to hear different opinions.

Thanks in advance and congratulations on this great website!

Abraços,
Roberto Macedo

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: viral load... how long until undetectable?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 12:48:25 pm »
Hey there, Rob!

No, your doubts don't seem silly.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  My VL took a long time to come down to undetectable.  Your CD4's are rebounding nicely!  You stated that was a slow rebound, but it actually looks pretty fast to me.  Most people I have known have taken a long time to get back in the 400 range if they have been down well below 200.  Breathe easy for now and wait and see how it goes.  I imagine you will get down to undetectable pretty soon.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 01:59:44 pm »
Hello Rob,

Unless things have changed, it is accepted by doctors that it is best to get the viral load to undetetectable within 6 months. For some it can happen within 12 weeks, others can take up to 6 months, and it is still possible to go beyond 6 months and not have an undetectable viral load.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline robmacedo

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 02:56:48 pm »
thanks, guys...
rob

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 12:11:57 am »
Hey Rob,

It varies a lot between people, as Ray said. Some go undetectable very quickly, others take longer.  I know a few people who never have made to undetectable - guess they have a stubborn virus.

Your numbers look very good and are heading the right direction. Also keep in mind that CD4 counts can bounce up and down a lot. so don't let that make you crazy.

Now, let's see, you're 41, Brazilian and seem very nice. (((((SIGH))))), all the nice guys live far, far away.  ;)

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 12:35:41 am »
I took 13 years
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.