Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:21:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 377
Total: 379

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: spring into summer...  (Read 125309 times)

Offline mitch777

Re: spring into summer...
« Reply #200 on: June 29, 2013, 04:20:33 pm »
With a little imagination, a wet cloth, and a breeze or electric fan, a lot can be done about this heat!  ;)

Yes I live in a rural area exactly 20 miles from the Indian Canyons of south Palm Springs near north Palm Springs. We are surrounded by Open Desert and many wild life preserves where I enjoy walking about... however this season only sees me walking at dawn or under the shade of an umbrella.
Pleased to Meet you! My ancestors on one side of my family were early Americans in Windsor. Loomis is the last name.We have been long gone south and west more recent generations. Lemonade Cheers to the 4th of July To You! And All!
Cali
Palm Springs is SO beautiful!
We have been there twice. (about 4-6 years ago) Of course it was March, the "cooler" season but we had record heat on one visit (I think it was around 108 degrees) and the other visit it was very windy for several days. Steady strong winds.
Seemed like the businesses were struggling in the downtown area. :(
We stayed at Inndulge.
Took the tram to the top of the mountain. So cool. Also drove around that same mountain. I think they filmed the opening scenes of Bonanza there? Explores canyons and deserts. Neat to see the microclimates.
I would consider retirement in PS but not so sure I could handle the heat. Also not sure about the healthcare for us poz folks.
As an avid gardener, I doubt I could get too excited about planting cactus but I guess that won't be an issue down the road a bit. Having a hard enough time keeping up with it here but it's hard to let go.
geez, I'm writing a book! :-[ :)
Have you lived there long?
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #201 on: June 29, 2013, 04:24:24 pm »

Mitch, You have a very nice yard.  It kind of makes me miss the nice things about Massachusetts.
Thanks! It has been a passion of mine my entire life. Maybe a titch OCD about it but to me it is a living work of art in collaboration with Mama Nature. Sometimes she can piss me off but generally we see eye to eye. :)

PS- She DOES seem to have a particular fondness for plants most of us would consider to be weeds.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:36:33 pm by mitch777 »

Offline Calison

• Struggling for 30 + years Ready for Next Big Leap!
« Reply #202 on: June 29, 2013, 04:48:49 pm »
I was born and grew up 30 miles from Palm Springs and left in 1977.
 I returned to Southern Ca. in 2003.

I think they like the "shabby effect" Palm Springs business has in Downtown lending to a "promiscuous" vice like atmosphere so folks will drink and eat more.... Kinda like "Slumming It". ;D
 I hear of great wealth in the village.They just don't want to show too much of it. Just Joking... Not to tied to economic mindsets so I am not sure... but yes, lots of real estate opportunities here.
I love the whole region including the coast. I never thought I would return. I enjoy the heat up to about 105 as long as it is not humid. :'( ...and I have shade.

Today's Chore is Laundry and I am hanging the laundry to dry outside on the line. It took just 10 minutes or less to dry thick cotton today! I like the energy savings from not using an electric dryer. 8)
I admit Primal need to be outside and take advantage of the weather!All Year!
  Today Inside the thermostat stays put at 80 degrees and I am comfortable with little costume.Less laundry that way too. ;D

I had a better doctor situation in an even smaller California town than Palm Springs before I decided to move here. I miss that Doctor.  I am new here. Have I highjacked anything here? tee hee. You may PM me if You wish.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ~ Oscar Wilde

Offline mitch777

« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2013, 06:06:35 pm »
I was born and grew up 30 miles from Palm Springs and left in 1977.
 I returned to Southern Ca. in 2003.

I think they like the "shabby effect" Palm Springs business has in Downtown lending to a "promiscuous" vice like atmosphere so folks will drink and eat more.... Kinda like "Slumming It". ;D
 I hear of great wealth in the village.They just don't want to show too much of it. Just Joking... Not to tied to economic mindsets so I am not sure... but yes, lots of real estate opportunities here.
I love the whole region including the coast. I never thought I would return. I enjoy the heat up to about 105 as long as it is not humid. :'( ...and I have shade.

Today's Chore is Laundry and I am hanging the laundry to dry outside on the line. It took just 10 minutes or less to dry thick cotton today! I like the energy savings from not using an electric dryer. 8)
I admit Primal need to be outside and take advantage of the weather!All Year!
  Today Inside the thermostat stays put at 80 degrees and I am comfortable with little costume.Less laundry that way too. ;D

I had a better doctor situation in an even smaller California town than Palm Springs before I decided to move here. I miss that Doctor.  I am new here. Have I highjacked anything here? tee hee. You may PM me if You wish.
Very funny! Love your description of PS! :)
And wearing "less costume" is cute.
Highjacked THIS thread? LOL! It has become a mixmaster of alphabet soup. Can't really delve into HIV issues here as it is "off topic" but I would be interested to hear more in another area of the forum.
Seems like PS is a big retirement community aka. "gays and grays" and hearing about your experiences would be helpful to myself and many others. :)

PS- Heavy cotton drying on a line in 10 minutes scares me! :o
m.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2013, 07:28:33 pm »
Umm, it's 109 on my porch.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mitch777

« Reply #205 on: June 29, 2013, 07:41:45 pm »
Umm, it's 109 on my porch.
Well, stay off your porch. :)
This is payback for your laughter and lack of rushing to my aid this past winter.
Be sure to put plenty of ice cubes in your margarita.  ;)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2013, 05:30:59 pm »
Corn knee high by the 4th of July! :)

oops. wrong pic. PHOTOBUCKET! >:( ::)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #207 on: July 05, 2013, 05:36:09 pm »

Ok...
Since photobucket decided to post the wrong pic first...
I bought a one gallon pot of the yellow Coreopsis about 12 years ago.
Spreading like mad as you can see. :)
Hope to get at least a few good ears of corn this year. (never planted corn before)

It's been so wet, (second wettest June on record here) hot and humid the past few days with more to come. Still can't complain after last winter. :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:45:40 pm by mitch777 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #208 on: July 05, 2013, 05:48:39 pm »
I buy my corn that's been imported into the Wall-Mart mere blocks from here . Its 0.30 cents an ear and delicious .

The back of my yard was set up for growing veggies but the expense of raising my own didn't justify doing so . I planted the first year living here but it just wasn't for me .

I love your property , its like a post card and you can tell the love and attention you have put into it .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #209 on: July 05, 2013, 06:21:13 pm »
I buy my corn that's been imported into the Wall-Mart mere blocks from here . Its 0.30 cents an ear and delicious .

The back of my yard was set up for growing veggies but the expense of raising my own didn't justify doing so . I planted the first year living here but it just wasn't for me .

I love your property , its like a post card and you can tell the love and attention you have put into it .
Thanks. OCD I guess.
The nearest Walmart is a mere 17 miles away.
I spent a grand total of $3.50 on manure and seeds for the corn crop. So, if I get 12 ears of corn and I'm ahead of the game by 10 cents. :)
On the other hand...
I spent the same amount on the peas and have reaped at least 10 pounds so far. Yaaaah! (and Huzzah!)
It's really all about the challenge... and fresh stuff plucked a mere moment before eating it.
Just wait til you see my cucumber crop. 8)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #210 on: July 05, 2013, 06:53:15 pm »
Corn knee high by the 4th of July! :)

[/quote]

Sometimes at my Walmart I can get my corn for 5 for $1. Which works for me since I don't have to fertilize, hoe (although I really don't mind the hoe'ing), plant, reep, and whatever else you farmers do. :-*
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:02:17 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2013, 08:54:41 pm »

Sometimes at my Walmart I can get my corn for 5 for $1. Which works for me since I don't have to fertilize, hoe (although I really don't mind the hoe'ing), plant, reep, and whatever else you farmers do. :-*
enjoy your wallymart corn and your hoe'ing...  especially the hoe'ing.  :)

Offline buginme2

« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2013, 09:16:04 pm »
Mitch your yard is so awesome. 

Where has Miss P been?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2013, 10:48:54 pm »
Ok, there is a huge (huge) difference between homegrown tomatoes and store bought.  What other fruits and veggies do y'all think are much better homegrown?  I tried growing corn, but just got tiny corn.  They looked like baby corn, even though they were suppose to be big.  So, not sure if corn would taste much better.  I suppose strawberries, but wasn't a huge difference, for me.  We grow blackberries.  They do seem to taste better than store bought, but not as much as tomatoes.  If you did a taste test, I'm not sure most could tell the difference.  We make jam with our blackberries.  They are expensive in stores. 

I want to know if a ripe banana will just blow your mind..lol.  They are picked neon green for stores, obviously.  I've always wanted a fresh-picked banana.  Would it be so much better, like a fresh-picked tomato is? 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #214 on: July 05, 2013, 10:55:31 pm »
I buy field peas , squash , okra and whatever freezes well from the farmers market .

I have some fresh white peas I'm making tomorrow , with a little corn bread that's all I will eat for dinner .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2013, 10:36:53 am »

Where has Miss P been?

MissP has quit the forums, and as such I've been tasked with dishing out the bitchiness around here. She has sent me all her files she has compiled on each of you over the past years. So bare with me as i brush up on them.

Truly yours
-Will
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:39:45 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2013, 05:33:06 pm »
MissP has quit the forums, and as such I've been tasked with dishing out the bitchiness around here. She has sent me all her files she has compiled on each of you over the past years. So bare with me as i brush up on them.

Truly yours
-Will

Lol.  I use to think the note cards were just a joke.  She said how she keeps notes on all of us.  I thought it was a joke.  However, I believe it now.  She always seemed to be able to pull up, instantly, things members said in the past.  She found my vacation pics and my pee-pee pic from a hook up site.  I still don't know how she found that.  I used a totally different screen name on that site.  No identifying info.  My face pic was a side profile pic, so it would have been difficult to look through all the Louisville profiles and pic me out of the photos.  I think she works for the CIA.  Perhaps that recent trip was a spy mission.  And, that IPad belonged to a target.   ;)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2013, 06:04:21 pm »
and my pee-pee pic from a hook up site. 

Ok now Im a bit miffed as she usually sends me all those pics of our members "member", but clearly she is holding out since I've never seen yours. >:(
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #218 on: July 06, 2013, 06:28:27 pm »
lost power here about 4 hours ago. it is a sunny calm humid 92 degrees. :(
don't know what the cause is but we just got the generator going. guess it's pizza tonight.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #219 on: July 07, 2013, 08:09:17 am »

MissP has quit the forums

Swan-song by proxy? That's a new one! ::)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mitch777

« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2013, 02:44:05 pm »
Test post... hosta pic.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2013, 02:47:51 pm »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2013, 06:28:10 pm »

Mitch,

Your yard is something else.  Thank you for sharing the pictures of it with us.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2013, 07:09:56 pm »
Beautiful.  Can I come live with you?  ;)
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2013, 07:23:39 pm »
Again, just lovely Mitch. Is there anything you cannot grow?

Thanks for sharing the pics, all I see when I look out my window is dying brown grass. and dust. :P
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2013, 07:49:13 pm »
Thanks again! I hope this doesn't come off as self indulgent. I really wanted to tell a bit of a story of "Gardening with Mitch" but am currently having problems posting more than one pic at a time. Ann is working on it. (or better said, Ann is getting the tech guys working on it)

Anyway, the sponsor of my episode (when I am able) will be my fertilizer company.
MO. Their slogan is "The MO the Better". :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2013, 09:59:45 am »
Again, just lovely Mitch. Is there anything you cannot grow?

Yes, I cannot grow hair on my chest. :)

all I see when I look out my window is dying brown grass. and dust. :P

Texas. "God's country"  ;)  ;D
I can't remember hearing much talk of a heat wave in Texas so far this year but I suspect it's been dry.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2013, 10:41:06 am »
Goodness Mitchypoo, aren't you guys suffering this heat wave also?  I've only planted 5 lilies in my "Lily Garden" and it's all I can do to tend to them.

It's been too hot to spend time in the sun so I might have to return to tanning...in the damn summer time no less.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2013, 01:26:07 pm »
Goodness Mitchypoo, aren't you guys suffering this heat wave also?  I've only planted 5 lilies in my "Lily Garden" and it's all I can do to tend to them.

It's been too hot to spend time in the sun so I might have to return to tanning...in the damn summer time no less.

Wolfie
Yes, it's been H.O.T. hot! In the 90's for I think 6 days now with another to come tomorrow. (Today it's supposed to hit 98 degrees with high humidity.) Cooler weather to arrive on Sunday. :)
I don't do much in the garden in this heat. Might putter for a bit early in the morning but today it was 93 degrees at 9:30 AM! :o

PS- I just looked at our thermometer... 100 degrees!

Offline mitch777

« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2013, 05:51:17 pm »
The peas are done for the season...finally! I think I picked about 20-25 pounds!! The garlic was harvested 2 days ago. It always puts a smile on my face. :)<see.
Behind the garlic is rainbow swiss chard. Had some for dinner the other day. Swiss chard, BACON, onion, garlic, hot pepper flakes, and balsamic vinegar. Sautéed. Yum!

Offline mitch777

« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2013, 06:01:07 pm »
The corn and tomatoes love this heat!
Corn Fun Fact: many of you probably knew this but I didn't...
Each strand of corn silk corresponds to a kernel of corn. If a strand of silk doesn't get "lucky" the cob will be missing that kernel. So sad. :'(
My favorite tomato is "Brandywine". An Heirloom variety. Big and juicy with great tomato flavor. Hope to get a few in a couple of weeks.

Gardener Mitch signing out .

This episode was sponsored by MO. Remember... "MO is better"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:04:07 pm by mitch777 »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2013, 06:32:04 pm »
I see a Volvo!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Habersham

« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2013, 06:54:52 pm »
Gentlemen Farmers!
Because I Can

Offline mitch777

« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2013, 07:10:47 pm »
I see a Volvo!
That's my old car. still love it. 2004 and it had 60,000 miles on it a year ago when I got my "new" used car.
Kenny's truck was getting up in miles. He still has it for Big Green Egg deliveries (and brush) but uses the Volvo now.
Better gas mileage.

Heat index in Hartford was 110 degrees +!                                                 
Gentlemen Farmers!

Well, one farmer anyway and I'm more of a Lady Farmer. :)
Not sure if Kenny knows the difference between a corn stalk and crab grass. ::) ;D

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2013, 07:24:58 pm »
Is that a speaker in the corn? GHURL!

Do you play "Dancing Queen" while you're weeding?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 07:30:08 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2013, 08:46:28 pm »
Is that a speaker in the corn? GHURL!

Do you play "Dancing Queen" while you're weeding?
Yes, it's a speaker and I DO play "Dancing Queen". I pick up the pooch in my arms and dance the night away! Then Kenny will take the lead... with Oliver.  ;) ???
He (Oliver) loves it.
The excitement never ends around here.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #236 on: July 20, 2013, 08:54:35 am »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #237 on: July 20, 2013, 09:50:17 pm »
Wanna see a vulva? ;D

No thank you. everytime I look at Vulva the end result is me having to pay 18 years of child support.

But it's very kind of you to offer. That's our Ann,  always going above and beyond!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:56:31 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2013, 04:13:07 am »
No thank you. everytime I look at Vulva the end result is me having to pay 18 years of child support.

But it's very kind of you to offer. That's our Ann,  always going above and beyond!

Ah, see? I just knew you wouldn't be able to resist one if you saw one. Wise of you to decline then.

And you're welcome. I try to do my bit.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline wolfter

« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2013, 08:36:53 am »
Wanna see a vulva? ;D

Vulvas are so 80's. ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #240 on: July 21, 2013, 08:51:42 am »
Vulvas are so 80's. ;D

80s? Mine was built in the 60s! A classic in pristine condition, one careful driver. Sorta. :o

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline mitch777

« Reply #241 on: July 21, 2013, 10:40:39 am »
80s? Mine was built in the 60s! A classic in pristine condition, one careful driver. Sorta. :o
How many miles do you have on it? ;D

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #242 on: July 21, 2013, 11:05:26 am »

Oh the gauge on that thing has rolled over several times  ;D
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #243 on: July 21, 2013, 11:18:50 am »
Oh the gauge on that thing has rolled over several times  ;D

~sigh~

No feckin' secrets around this place, eh? >:(

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #244 on: July 21, 2013, 03:18:10 pm »
The corn and tomatoes love this heat!
Corn Fun Fact: many of you probably knew this but I didn't...
Each strand of corn silk corresponds to a kernel of corn. If a strand of silk doesn't get "lucky" the cob will be missing that kernel. So sad. :'(
My favorite tomato is "Brandywine". An Heirloom variety. Big and juicy with great tomato flavor. Hope to get a few in a couple of weeks.

Gardener Mitch signing out .

This episode was sponsored by MO. Remember... "MO is better"

Ok, Mitch.  Let's test your knowledge, without google.  When I was in middle school, I worked 2 summers detasselling corn.  Man, that was some of the hardest work.  Well, picking up hay bails from the field and stacking them in a barn was also very hard work.  With the corn, we would start about 6am, walking the corn fields and pulling out the tassels, or whatever they're called.  I didn't even know the reason for it, at the time.  They always hired young kids to do it.  Lucky kids got to ride on this machine, where you don't have to walk the field.  The farmers were suppose to always have our water at the end of the row, but so many times we would have to wait until we returned to where we started.  We would get desperate and suck on the liquid in the tassels we removed.  In the morning, we would be soaking wet from all the dew, and then soaking wet from the heat. 

So, what is the purpose for detasselling corn? 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #245 on: July 21, 2013, 04:54:59 pm »
Ok, Mitch.  Let's test your knowledge, without google.  When I was in middle school, I worked 2 summers detasselling corn.  Man, that was some of the hardest work.  Well, picking up hay bails from the field and stacking them in a barn was also very hard work.  With the corn, we would start about 6am, walking the corn fields and pulling out the tassels, or whatever they're called.  I didn't even know the reason for it, at the time.  They always hired young kids to do it.  Lucky kids got to ride on this machine, where you don't have to walk the field.  The farmers were suppose to always have our water at the end of the row, but so many times we would have to wait until we returned to where we started.  We would get desperate and suck on the liquid in the tassels we removed.  In the morning, we would be soaking wet from all the dew, and then soaking wet from the heat. 

So, what is the purpose for detasselling corn?

OK. I promise I didn't google it although I have been looking at a few youtube videos about hand pollinating corn since I only had space to plant 2 rows.
My guess (probably wrong) is that it might have something to do with trying to prevent cross pollination of different varieties of corn. (leaving a several rows of corn detasselled between varieties)
Again, I'm probably wrong but I did see that on youtube .

Growing up in Minnesota all of the kids were paid pretty well to do this. Not me. I was to wimpy to consider it. I stayed home and played ping pong instead. ;)
We lived in farm country although my parents didn't farm the land. Out in the boonies. We had a large barn with 4 Morgan horses so I did more than my fair share of hard work. Hay bails. UGH! AND I think I got paid 50 cents an hour from my parents to clean out the manure from the stalls. It was a BIG job! I saved my money to buy my own black and white TV... 9" diagonal screen. Yay!
We also had exotic chickens, mallard ducks, guinea hens, rabbits, a Saint Bernard and a Siamese cat.
Plenty of work!

BTW-
Fun fact about eggs...
I used to collect the eggs from the chicken coop and on the short walk back to the house I would throw the eggs as high as possible into the air to land on the lawn. Unless the egg lands on a bare spot, twig, or stone, the egg will not break! It always amazed me. :)

Going off on a few tangents here. ::) ;D

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #246 on: July 21, 2013, 05:46:46 pm »
UGH! AND I think I got paid 50 cents an hour from my parents to clean out the manure from the stalls. It was a BIG job!

Oh please Nancies, Why dont yall talk to me when at age 16 you and 3 farm workers (who couldn't speak english) had to unload an 18 wheeler of hay and stack it in the barn. Took all day. And guess what I got paid...nothing. I was earning the right to live under my parents roof ::)

I was overjoyed when I had to only muck the horse stalls, a much easier job  ;D I think this is why I love the smell of horse manure even today
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 05:49:52 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #247 on: July 21, 2013, 06:01:04 pm »
Oh please Nancies, Why dont yall talk to me when at age 16 you and 3 farm workers (who couldn't speak english) had to unload an 18 wheeler of hay and stack it in the barn. Took all day. And guess what I got paid...nothing. I was earning the right to live under my parents roof ::)

I was overjoyed when I had to only muck the horse stalls, a much easier job  ;D I think this is why I love the smell of horse manure even today
I didn't get paid for hauling hay into the barn and while it was probably only 1/2 of an 18 wheeler the "crew" was Mom, Dad, me and the farmer who delivered the load. I think I weighed about 115 lbs. at the time.
PLUS... we had to walk 1/4 mile each morning through snow and ice in below zero weather in the winter to catch the school bus.
(I hear you laughing. :).)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #248 on: July 21, 2013, 06:19:23 pm »
PLUS... we had to walk 1/4 mile each morning through snow and ice in below zero weather in the winter to catch the school bus.
(I hear you laughing. :).)

You left out the "up hills in both directions" part of that classic!!   :P

M

Offline Habersham

« Reply #249 on: July 21, 2013, 06:38:13 pm »
That's about 10 blocks in Philadelphia or 2 avenues across in NY

I walk that far to have lunch where I live now!   lol
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 06:40:14 pm by Habersham »
Because I Can

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.