Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:33:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 225
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Undetectable Equals Non-Transmission: Centers for Disease Control Statement  (Read 7175 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."

News Trending Noting Unequivocal Research Data. 

Links:

Article from HIVPlusMag:
https://www.hivplusmag.com/undetectable/2017/9/27/breaking-cdc-officially-recognizes-undetectableuntransmittable-hiv-prevention

CDC Letter from Director Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention: http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/de0404_1f9f737da1674cdda5a42f7857cd4fa6.pdf

Also Checking Out CDC.gov Web Site.

OT
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:16:49 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Undetectable Equals Non-Transmission: Centers for Disease Control Statement
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:05:50 pm »
I have a few thoughts to add later to this.

I'm moving this thread with all respect to this forum as it's great to see the CDC update its information and I wish it would do it on more things, but its a bit like if the CDC would acknowledge the wheel, couple of 1000 years late and not their own findings. We should expect better from them

Jim
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:09:46 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline paintedroom

• Dx`d July 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 04:31:59 pm »
Great to know personally although it won`t change my behaviour... which is to say i still cannot see myself in a position where i`m disclosing to a hiv neg person in the hopes of riding them.It`s simply a failure of imagination after 13 months poz..it may change.
Dx`d mid July 2016
8/8/2016 - CD4 50     VL 50,000
5/9/2016 -  CD4 150
13/9/2016  VL  undetectable.
March `17 - CD4 193   VL undetectable.
March  `18 CD4 214    VL undetectable
March 2019 CD4 325  VL UD
Genvoya - Changed to Biktarvy feb 2021

Offline NickEdwards

• Standard
Where there was once fear - we now find hope. Everything's changed. We talk about the stigma of HIV. Delve into the new science of HIV treatment and prevention. We have Dr. Barry Zingman Medical Director of the AIDS Center at Montefiore Medical Center to put light on the fight. Hosted by Nick Edwards.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 01:55:05 am by JimDublin »
Nick Edwards

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
I have removed your duplicate posts in the other forum subject areas in which you had placed the same message and link.

In order to keep these forums tidy, we do not allow duplicate posts across multiple forum boards.

Therefore, I have moved one of your posts to the forum in which I believe it to be most appropriate.

Please do not make duplicate posts again.

Can you explain a little about yourself?  I understand that you are the narrator of the audio to which you have linked, but can you give a little perspective on the audio and, if possible, a summary, since people may not take the time to listen to the entire piece.

What is your connection to HIV?  Are you infected?  Are you a researcher?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 06:32:28 pm by Ptrk3 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline NickEdwards

• Standard
HIV has been a part of my life since 1989 when my best friends mother became HIV+. I am a gay man living in Palm Springs, California. In this show you are going to hear about the CDC's recent and remarkable news that HIV+ undetectable people are at effectively no risk oft transmitting HIV to an HIV- partner to PrEP and the stigma that still surrounds HIV 35 years into the epidemic. We interview Dr. Barry Zingman at the Montifiore Aids Center in Bronx New York for all of the latest news, regardless of your status. I created this show to help answer the big questions of people living with HIV or not. I hope this makes a difference.
Nick Edwards

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Thank you for providing useful context and for your efforts to reduce HIV stigma and in spreading the good news about the importance of adhering to a medical regimen in order to attain and maintain an undetectable viral load, which, in turn, greatly, if not totally, reduces the chances of further transmission of the HIV.

The recent CDC acknowledgement of this fact should greatly reduce stigma and self-stigma outside and within the HIV community.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Its nice to see the CDC catch up to the Swiss Statement of almost 10 years ago.  The Swiss Statement has been discussed a lot in this Forum. It is very well known to many HIV+ people, and that undetectable = nontranmissable with or without the knowledge of the precise Swiss Statement. Known for years to researchers and to health and legal professionals working on HIV matters. 

I am just saying who's mind is blown? Yours? Look its just a bit presumptions the grammar of this thread heading.  It does not seem like you are HIV+ so why are you telling a bunch of HIV+ people something we already know?  I dont think you mean badly but that is my perception.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline NickEdwards

• Standard
Let's be honest. Not everyone on here is an expert. Not everyone is here is HIV+ or even gay. They may identify as bi or fluid or whatever they choose. This post is listed under friends and family. 1/3 of all HIV transmissions are our heterosexual brothers and sisters. This show is for all of us. None of us "own" this disease. My hope is that this is a great way to share information with someone who is a little less informed while still having relevant and exciting information for us all. It's meant to be easy to understand and relevant to the AIDS crisis 35 years later.

You sound very well educated on the issue, but let's face it, not everyone is. Let's address the mind blown statement head on.

1: Mind blown that this is the CDC and not the Swiss. About time the CDC caught up. I agree with you. Maybe more people will listen and pay attention now in the states. HIV/AIDS stigma is a direct health risk to our society. Right?

2: Mind blown on how the opioid crisis sounds a lot like the Aids crisis in the 80's and how it is currently affecting HIV transmission rates. Are we doing things differently this time?

3: Mind blown that people still think you can get HIV through kissing or that some first responders according to Dr. Zingman are still dealing with stigma related issues out on the streets.

I felt compelled to share this after reading posts in this forum like "Help me understand", "I got semen on my penis...", "Condom Broke - short exposure", "Oral sex and scared". Clearly, people need this information and any way we can get it to them I believe is a good thing. It will only benefit us all.

If I am positive, have AIDS, FTM or anything else that someone might want to perceive, does it really matter after all? I really hope you listen to the program. Thank you for your great response. I am addicted to dialog and I wish you all the best.

Nick
Nick Edwards

Offline joemutt

Are you HIV positive?

Offline NickEdwards

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 12:57:51 am »
I'm sorry, but why do you ask?
Nick Edwards

Offline joemutt

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 01:14:30 am »
I'm sorry but why don't you answer?

Offline NickEdwards

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 01:23:44 am »
Why are you asking me personal questions with questions?  Do you get cold soars?
Nick Edwards

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 01:27:22 am »
Hi

Nick unless you are living with HIV you should not be posting here and from your back story I am not gathering that.

It is normal for people to introduce themselves here and hence members are asking, there is no need to attack the member asking you a perfectly normal question given the charter and nature of this forum

I know your post was moved here but after careful review given the updated details I will merge your post with another story here in this section however please do not be posting outside of the "Someone I care about" forum going forward - Thank you.

Jim

Update

I have warned you that the forum is not a place where we will tolerate undue personal attacks, you posted and so members have asked you questions. My advice is if you don't like people responding to you than don't post.

Now should you ever have problems with another forum member, you have two options.

One, you can use the Report to Moderator link found at the bottom of any post.
Two, you can put that forum member on Ignore by using the link that appears at the bottom of the user information next to their post. You can unignore a member by going into your profile and taking them off the ignore list.

The options that are not open are trolling or starting threads, polls to invite an angry response or question a moderators decision. Also I have explained the forum is for people living with HIV and all members are expected to introduce themselves this includes HIV status hence the members questions to you.

Your membership is limited to posting in "someone I care about section" should you have questions for us in order to help you support someone . Thank you.

You have also been given a 30 day ban

Jim

Nick, also lets be clear HIV can affect anyone regardless of Class, Wealth, Social standing, Sexual orientation, Race, Ethnicity, Gender or Age.

HIV is simply a virus and doesn't care about such matters. I don't think anyone here cares about this or posts anything differently here, and a large part of your members are heterosexual to go towards your Bi-Gay point.   

Now HIV isn’t transmitted By hugging, shaking hands, sharing toilets, sharing dishes, kissing, through saliva, tears, or sweat,

Yes people need this information and for this reason this information and more is included in our risk assessments, a service we provide as volunteers. Also POZ.com do a huge amount of effort in publishing great easy to understand lessons and keep up-to-date information for members and readers alike.

Here are some basics you can read.

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101

HIV 101 - HIV Transmission and Risks

HIV 101 - Testing Inforrmation
HIV Testing

HIV 101 - Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP)
HIV TasP

HIV 101 - HIV prevention
HIV prevention

HIV PEP and PrEP
PEP and PrEP

Undetectable
https://www.poz.com/article/undetectable-1
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:26:56 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline em

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 10:12:14 am »
 ( EFFECTIVELY ) no risk

Undetectable equivalent Untransmittable U~U

instead of undetectable equals untransmittable U=U

small insignificant difference but still a difference

I had written a much longer response to try and clarify the difference but I already tried and failed to explain it so there you have it undefined and unexplained maybe someone else out there might understand and the world will be a better place for it 

Offline harleymc

Put it this way em, there's no documented evidence that there is a risk.

Offline em

I agree

In a controlled  test the participants remained undetectable and did not transmit the virus. If  I recall I read this a long time ago two participants out of hundreds became infected but they did genetic genome test and found the virus did not match. IN other words the negative people in the study had other lovers who were  detectable and not part of the study. 

someone who is undetectable has not given hiv to anyone in the controlled studies and someone who is undetectable may never give HIV to anyone

but like a bucket filled with sand then dumped out some sand may remain

equivalent not equals the bucket is effectively empty.

therein lies the spark that could become a forest fire of fear.  For us who have HIV and those who do not.

there are no sure things in this life

tomorrow may be another day but our place in it is not guaranteed.

I hope this helps clear up the .00000000000 to an infinitely large degree the risk may be it does not equal it is close enough as in effectively, equivalent negligible  not to most worth mentioning. to me it is something I wasted my time trying to point out

I myself have been undetectable for the most part of  two decades  I could have been having children but with not enough resources to raise all those children My wife and I have two children and have had unprotected relations  for less than a handful of times. that is my life I hope you fare better.

If I can be undetectable for such a long time anyone can

but the chances are there like the dangers of riding in a car people still do it even though they know the risks.

please pardon my persistence just that  I had noticed internet trolls pointing out grammar and spelling mistakes I just got caught up in being a mathematics troll and tried to point out an insignificant detail that is all

peace

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.